More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 16, 20:33:41

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  More Townies
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: More Townies  (Read 12979 times)
MistMeUK
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
More Townies
« on: 2005 September 20, 09:25:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hi all, I have just got NightLife and well I am abit disapointed when I take my sims DownTown.

The pre-release screens showed lots of sims and townies on the downtown lots but whenever my sims visit there are always nearly deserted with maybe only 3 or maximuum 4 other sims there, and when I took a party of 8 people downtown my sims where the only sims there for about 2sim hours.

I know most people request ways of reducing the number of townies but PLEASE I want more townies.

Is there anything I can do to  increase the number of NPC Townies on the community lots, Is there a setting I have missed, anything at all.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Wink
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
Re: More Townies
« Reply #1 on: 2005 September 20, 09:42:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

By scavenging the various threads I've found out that NL has upped the requirements regarding PC configuration (CPU, graphics card etc). However, since it's almost become EA tradition to deliver faulty stuff, when the game checks out your configuration it doesn't do it right. I've seen posts of (relatively) high-end users complaining that the game doesn't "recognize" their hardware correctly, thus selecting low settings. This is true for, among other, the max number of guests you can invite to a party. Most people it seems can only invite up to 4 sims, some only reach HALF that number! So: check your configuration. What was regarded as average in University now only qualifies as...well...crap! If your configuration is up to spec, download new drivers (which you should do anyway IMO). If you still get the same problem, check out some other threads regarding NL. My memory span is appalingly short, however, so I can't direct you to any thread I'm afraid. If anyone else remembers where the major talk about configuration was on, please post a link?

Let the Beast inside you free!
MistMeUK
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 September 20, 09:49:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I have a AMD64 3000+ with 1GB DDR400 memory, but i did put all settings down to normal in this expansion.

I also put the veiw nieghbours on to full though, do you think that if i reduce this or turn it off completely it will allow more townies on the lots.
 I had no problem inviting people, it allowed 8 people in a party just like before, just no-one eles was on the lot.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 September 20, 10:10:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe your lot sucks. If your lot sucks, nobody will show up.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 September 20, 10:13:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I have a AMD64 3000+ with 1GB DDR400 memory, but i did put all settings down to normal in this expansion.

I also put the veiw nieghbours on to full though, do you think that if i reduce this or turn it off completely it will allow more townies on the lots.
 I had no problem inviting people, it allowed 8 people in a party just like before, just no-one eles was on the lot.

I wouldn't know, as I don't have NL. Your specs look OK, but you don't mention your graphics card. However, if you're among the lucky few who can actually invite 8 ppl to a party, it shouldn't be of an issue. Sorry, can't help you any further.

Let the Beast inside you free!
nothingbutsims
« Reply #5 on: 2005 September 20, 11:59:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have noticed a lack of townies also.  So, I tried this - turning off the view of the neighborhood and the decorations and it seemed to up the number of townies by a couple more but not what you saw on the video clips.  I even updated my graphics drivers.
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 September 20, 12:32:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's not just you..from what I have read lotsa people are dealing with this.

I once could invite 8 people to a party  (and at least 8  townies would be on community lots) now I can only invite 2-3 at the most to house parties.  Community lots are slightly normal.

I had to bust out the cheat to allow more visiting sims.
Scotty
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2005 September 20, 12:48:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the same problem. So much for all the damn money I spent on a really good computer eh?

Come visit us at the Gay Sims Club 2.

http://gaysimsclub2.net

I'm a Gay Pirate! Arrr!
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 September 20, 12:51:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My downtown lots are always packed with people, but 95% of them are Sims who live in the neighborhood.  I've only seen a tiny handful of downtownies.

I had the same problem with only being able to invite 4 people to a party.  It was never a problem before NL.

Karen
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 September 20, 13:47:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm guessing since you brought 8 sims down there the game considers that borderline to what the acceptable max on a lot should be and is compensating by having less townies to come on that lot. I frequently go to the downtown lots with one or two sims and always see a fair number of townies and people from the neighborhood (and Mrs. Crumplebottom too! Wink ). One thing I like with this expansion is that there are elder townies now too.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Ruann
Dimwitted Dunce

An overactive male imagination

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2005 September 20, 14:35:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

if "intprop maxnumofvisitingsims" still works, just up that number. 

My laptop (3.0ghz machine) gives me about 12 to 15 sims on a downtown lot at a time.  My home pc (1.4 ghz machine) gives me about 6 to 8 on a lot.  This includes any Sims I take on my own and service NPCs.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2005 September 20, 15:18:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never been 'allowed' more than 2 (unsupported graphics card and all that) so have the intProp cheat permanently in my cheat file.  Nothing has changed for me in NL because of that.  My Sims can invite up to 7 other Sims on an outing (which makes up the Cool, there are usually 6 or 7 others when they are invited on one, plus I also get the 8 visiting Sims as well.  I don't experience any noticeable slowdown, but I never did.  I have all the new settings on high as well (most are off or low by default), although I tend to turn them off on community lots as I get very confused and keep trying to use items that are on another lot because I am not familiar with what goes with what.  Then again, even when I am familiar with what goes with what, I am still trying to get my Sims to use items in their next-door neighbours' houses and gardens.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 September 20, 16:18:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I used to have the problem with deserted lots. I think the no townie regeneration mod caused it. You don't have that in your game, by any chance, do you? If you do, try taking it out. I just had a casual group of 7 and still had several other sims show up after removing it from mine.
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 September 20, 17:43:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Put "intProp maxNumOfVisitingSims 8" in a user startup cheat file, and the problem will be solved. It will affect not only your parties, but your contact lists, and I have indeed noticed more townies showing up on community and downtown lots.
In fact, I love my startup cheat file. I will even share the whole thing with you.

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#     alias         real command                                    brief help                         full help
#     ------------- ----------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------- --------------------------------
alias `          pause                                            "Pause"    "Pause the game"
boolProp allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation true
floatProp tvVolume 0.2
intProp maxNumOfVisitingSims 8

alias m "moveObjects on" "Enables the ability to move normally unmovable objects" ""
alias m- "moveObjects off" "Disables the ability to move normally unmovable objects" ""

alias s "boolProp snapObjectsToGrid false" "Lets you move objects off the grid" ""
alias s- "boolProp snapObjectsToGrid true" "Makes objects snap to the grid" ""

alias f "boolprop constrainFloorElevation false" "Enables the ability to change terrain even when there is a building on it" ""
alias f- "boolprop constrainFloorElevation true" "Disables the ability to change terrain even when there is a building on it" ""

alias t "boolprop testingCheatsEnabled true" "Enables a lot of hidden features that can be accessed by holding shift when clicking on objects" ""
alias t- "boolprop testingCheatsEnabled false" "Disables a lot of hidden features that can be accessed by holding shift when clicking on objects" ""

alias cash "motherlode" "Kaching." ""

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
MistMeUK
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 September 20, 22:41:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thnx everyone , will try that tomorrow
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

Now with new and improved avatar!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 September 21, 15:02:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

pardon my stupidity but how exactly do you set up a startup cheat file?
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 September 21, 15:45:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Copy the above text, starting with and including the # sign, ending with and including the very last ". Then paste it onto notepad, and save it as userStartup.cheat in your Documents/EA/config folder. The cheats above mean that you don't have to enter boolProp allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation true if you want to rotate something (if you don't have Uni, cut this bit out), just hit the ,. keys. Also your tv volume will not be blaring (it might not be needed in Nightlife, I haven't tested that), and instead of entering "moveobjects on" you enter "m" and to turn it off you enter "m-". Likewise with the other aliases, I won't list them all, just read the file. If you want to edit the file, when you open it select notepad as the program and do not associate it to "always use this program to open this kind of file".  Make sure that box is unchecked. It might not cause problems with your game now (or it might) but no telling what a future patch to windows or The Sims 2 might do.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2005 September 21, 15:52:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't know about this "alias" thing, that will come in handy.  Do the letters used have to be those ones or can they be anything you want?

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 September 21, 15:55:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Copy the above text, starting with and including the # sign, ending with and including the very last ". Then paste it onto notepad, and save it as userStartup.cheat in your Documents/EA/config folder.

Can you give the exact path to the config folder?  Is it in My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2, or Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2? 

Thanks,
Karen
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2005 September 21, 15:58:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can you give the exact path to the config folder?  Is it in My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2, or Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2? 

Thanks,
Karen

Yes.  The folder is Config, it's in there - userStartup.  Just click it to open it, add what you want and save it.

Kitiara
Lipless Loser

boolprop IQTestingEnabledTrue

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 September 21, 16:03:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just make sure to replace the spaces with tabs. I had quite a few problems when setting my userStartup.cheat file because I didn't know that was necessary. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working for a long time. (Or maybe this is obvious to everyone else and I am a moron. Whatever.)

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 September 21, 16:21:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't know about this "alias" thing, that will come in handy.  Do the letters used have to be those ones or can they be anything you want?
You can change it to what you want, but it has to be letters. I tried $ instead of cash, it didn't work.

Copy the above text, starting with and including the # sign, ending with and including the very last ". Then paste it onto notepad, and save it as userStartup.cheat in your Documents/EA/config folder.

Thanks,
Karen
Um, I did. When I said "in your Documents/EA/config. Well technically it would be "My Documents/EA/The Sims II/config. But I did tell you it was documents Wink.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
nothingbutsims
« Reply #22 on: 2005 September 21, 17:06:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks,
Karen

Yes.  The folder is Config, it's in there - userStartup.  Just click it to open it, add what you want and save it.

I found the Config folder but I did not have a userStartup file.  I had a userProps file, which was an .xml file and I really wasn't sure where or how to add info. into to it.  Can I just make a new file called userStartup?  If so, is it also an .xml file or an .ini file?
Kitiara
Lipless Loser

boolprop IQTestingEnabledTrue

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 September 21, 17:19:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is not .xml or .ini, it is userStartup.cheat

.cheat
« Last Edit: 2005 September 21, 18:57:06 by Kitiara » Logged

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
nothingbutsims
« Reply #24 on: 2005 September 21, 17:23:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm, don't have one at all.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: