More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 18:35:55

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  unable to place doors and windows
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: unable to place doors and windows  (Read 9384 times)
VampLena
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
unable to place doors and windows
« on: 2006 December 23, 20:08:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but since i've discovered this wonderful world of mods a few days ago, im unable to place doors and windows, the reason the game says is "It must be placed on the center of the tile" and no matter what i do it wont place.

Anyone have ideas what could cause that? All im using is most of the awesome hacks from here, Insiminator Obj, Inteeniator and some clothing and skin changing mods. Oh, and i have all the expansions but Petz and Glamour.

Thanks!
Vampire Queen Lena
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
Re: unable to place doors and windows
« Reply #1 on: 2006 December 23, 21:04:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Move the noneawesome hacks/mods out of your downloads folder so you can pinpoint the culprit.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 December 23, 21:10:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You might have somehow turned "move_objects on" 

Use "move_objects off" to turn it back off.
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 December 23, 21:16:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The culprint is more likely to have been "boolProp snapObjectsToGrid false". Check your userStartup.cheat, and delete that if you find it.

Also:

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
VampLena
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 December 24, 00:22:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the answers, all i found in userStartup.cheat is

intProp SeeThem 231
boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true
boolProp allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation true

by the way what is wrong with insim and inteen? All I really have been able to find in terms of these types of mods is those big ones (finding free mods is pretty hard with the sims!) and SeeThem2 to remove the censor, but im more then happy to look at alternatives to these types of mods if anyone has them.

I'll try the moving out the Awesome mods next.
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 December 24, 00:55:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The InSim and the InTeen are looked down upon, because they put their fingers in too many places. Basically, they conflict with most other hacks. I believe Pescado uses the term "bloatware."
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 December 24, 00:59:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is Nothing wrong with using InSIM and InTeen  Roll Eyes  They are very well made and tested.

JM just dosen't care for InTeen because it conflicts with alot of other hacks. He dosen't care for InSIM because it does so much (course it does nothing unless you tell it to) - which is funny really because his Lot Debugger does alot of stuff too *laughs* 

I'd suggest you turn off the allow45degree cheat and see if thats what is causing your problem.

InSIM dosen't really conflict with a damn thing and hasn't for a long time!
edit - and since I use just about all of InSIMs features, I don't consider it bloatware. heh, I guess the Lot Debugger is bloatware since I don't use many of it's many features...

Roll Eyes
Countess
theisz
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 December 24, 03:05:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the answers, all i found in userStartup.cheat is

intProp SeeThem 231
boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true
boolProp allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation true

by the way what is wrong with insim and inteen? All I really have been able to find in terms of these types of mods is those big ones (finding free mods is pretty hard with the sims!) and SeeThem2 to remove the censor, but im more then happy to look at alternatives to these types of mods if anyone has them.

I'll try the moving out the Awesome mods next.

It's intProp SeeThem 231.  That is Shaklin's hack that runs to allow things like 45 degree, turn off blur and move objects off the grid.  The grid function works but prevents you from placing doors and windows.  I found this out when I first tried using it. 

You need to find the file SeeThem2.exe and double click on it and click on the plants in the upper right corner to make the red X appear.  This will turn off the move objects out of grid, but will allow you to use the other functions of the hack.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 December 24, 03:32:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

InSIM dosen't really conflict with a damn thing and hasn't for a long time!
edit - and since I use just about all of InSIMs features, I don't consider it bloatware. heh, I guess the Lot Debugger is bloatware since I don't use many of it's many features...
Unless you ignore the "Peeing Microwaves" feature during the Pets transition. Somehow, that says "global hack". And a messy, monster of one, too. The Lot Debugger is a standalone item that touches no global overrides and runs no active behaviors.

As a general rule, the heirarchy of badness, from least to most bad:
1. Standalone object using standard Maxian resources (meshes/textures) and no global overrides or active behaviors (does not act upon world while merely idle).
2. Standalone object using custom resources (meshes/textures), no global overrides or active behaviors.
3. Standalone object with no globals, but active behaviors.
4. Global hack affecting only single group.
5. Gobal hack affecting multiple related groups.
6. Global hack affecting multiple unrelated groups.

Insim would be Type #6: It has its fingers in many pies, including those completely unrelated to its original pollination functions. When type 6 hacks go bad, things end up peeing microwaves and otherwise performing baffling actions where you'd have no idea WTF is going on. Lot Debugger would be Type 1/2. If not bought or placed in the lot, it has no effect on your game. If not actively clicked on, it lies there on your lot inertly. Something like BUY or Macros would be Type 3, as while they don't globally override, they do actively examine or affect your game while lying there. The Kitten Killer is similarly Type 6. I don't make Type 6 hacks for the public. They're too ugly. Ugliest product I keep is the Romance Mod, which would be Type 5 bordering on 6. And that's as far as I'll push it. Everything else is an Undiscovered Shiny.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 December 24, 04:27:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

InSimenator changes 2 global things: the pregnancy controller and the destination object. In the case of the pregnancy controller, it makes a small tweak to one tree. In the case of the destination object, it only changes the pie menu tables and adds about 30 behavior trees.

By way of comparison, the phonehack changes 14 different global objects. Of course, all the hacks in phonehack serve the same purpose but it is similar in complexity. I think it's fair to say that the one is as dangerous as the other.

idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 December 24, 05:10:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's intProp SeeThem 231.  That is Shaklin's hack that runs to allow things like 45 degree, turn off blur and move objects off the grid.  The grid function works but prevents you from placing doors and windows.  I found this out when I first tried using it. 

You need to find the file SeeThem2.exe and double click on it and click on the plants in the upper right corner to make the red X appear.  This will turn off the move objects out of grid, but will allow you to use the other functions of the hack.

Or you could just use aliases for each command and turn them on/off ingame only when needed. Having snapobjectstogrid off all the time would drive me nuts. I go back and forth between this command so much, sometimes it fills up the entire expanded cheat box.
moonluck
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 December 24, 09:22:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

JM just dosen't care for InTeen because it conflicts with alot of other hacks. 
InTeen really doesn't. It only conflicts with two or three of his that I use and not in a really bad way, so I still use them.
InTeen doesn't kill kittens! Just mice and other small rodents

I'd suggest you turn off the allow45degree cheat and see if thats what is causing your problem.
No, it's moveobjusts not that one. I've had allow45degree in my userstartup for along time and I've been able to place doors.

Or I could be totally wrong...
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 December 24, 09:30:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, it's moveobjusts not that one. I've had allow45degree in my userstartup for along time and I've been able to place doors.
As far as I remember, moveobjects causes the opposite problem; you can place doors and windows everywhere.

It's probably the seeThem one that's causing the problem in this case.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 December 24, 10:19:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

JM just dosen't care for InTeen because it conflicts with alot of other hacks. 

InTeen really doesn't. It only conflicts with two or three of his that I use and not in a really bad way, so I still use them.

ok let me rephrase that - InTeen conflicts with "quite a few" hacks (by different modders, not just JM) and you can get InTeen versions of some of those and some of the conflicts don't break anything.  I've been helping with the beta testing of InTeen ever since it was a baby *laughs*  I think it is growng up very well  Cheesy

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 December 24, 11:42:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

InSimenator changes 2 global things: the pregnancy controller and the destination object. In the case of the pregnancy controller, it makes a small tweak to one tree. In the case of the destination object, it only changes the pie menu tables and adds about 30 behavior trees.
That's it? I remember it had its grimy paws in everything from pregnancy to jealousy, aspiration decay, and aging. Did it get cut down or something?

And why the destination object? Why on EARTH would it have ANYTHING to do with that?

The Inteenimater really is everywhere, though. School, aging, woohoo, the works. Completely Type VI.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
VampLena
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 December 24, 16:00:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for all your help, i dont know if this is the proper way to fix it but i was curious about that line someone mentioned "boolProp snapObjectsToGrid false" so i put it in UserStartup.cheat and changed it to True and it worked fine again, is this going to cause other problems? Also, it seems the way people talk about InSim and InTeen that they are like microsoft products lol.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 December 24, 18:37:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

From the public's (my) point of view, another important consideration is that InSim has many, unrelated functions.  All of them could be useful, but in practice I use only one.  There is no way to limit my risk by choosing just one module or a few. 

With something like the phonehack, I can choose to expose my game to greater risk if I do use its features daily.  The danger associated with any hack is balanced against what it adds to the game, and with thematic hacks, at least it is possible for players to make reasonable choices based on their own style of play. 

Aside from ease of maintenance by the modder, I can see no reason why the InSim should exist in its present form.  It is really a dozen mods which should be available as add-on tools to a more basic infrastructure.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 December 24, 18:50:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did it get cut down or something?

And why the destination object? Why on EARTH would it have ANYTHING to do with that?

InSim has been pretty lean for quite some time (as far as overrides go). It modifies destination so that you can use it to spawn the various "sectional" objects of InSim (each "sectional" is a hack in itself) without needing to go into Buy mode. It doesn't really *need* to, but that's the way it is. Maybe Eric could explain better.  Huh

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 December 24, 18:54:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How many random globals do THOSE contain? And why on earth would they spawn on the destination object, instead of from the Insimenator object? That sounds like a bad example of unnecessary global meddling.

ThyGuy
Exasperating Eyesore

HELP ME! I'M STUPID!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 December 24, 19:08:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think JM should make a awesome version of the insim. I -have- to have the insim because I hate using SimPE and some of the debug modes options in the game have WEIRD side effects that you wouldn't expect from what they're doing (My all time favorite; Sim loses relationship with all family when de-aging to get rid of wacked out coding or for other various reasons).

So, I'm just fucked. I refuse to use the debug tools because of borked side effects that occur, but can't just do nothing because not one damn generation goes by where one of the children retain code, or something completely unexplainable happens.

*Stabs Maxis EA game manager.

DEATH TO UGLY BEAGLE DOGS!
WALMART IS THE DEVIL!!!!!
I DEMAND THE FIERY DEATH OF CRYING BABIES!
Do us a favor? DIE, GO TO HEAVEN, STFU!
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 December 24, 19:30:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would like to see JM do hacks that cover most of the handy things InSIM does  Grin  but usually he only does hacks that he has a use for or fixes something...

miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 December 24, 19:34:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for all your help, i dont know if this is the proper way to fix it but i was curious about that line someone mentioned "boolProp snapObjectsToGrid false" so i put it in UserStartup.cheat and changed it to True and it worked fine again, is this going to cause other problems? Also, it seems the way people talk about InSim and InTeen that they are like microsoft products lol.

No, that cheat code will not cause problems.  It's normally true; somehow your game and/or hacks inadvertantly set it to false, which is what caused your problem.
maxon
Obtuse Oaf

Unrepentant Inteenimator User - Kitten Killer.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 December 26, 11:26:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The Inteenimater really is everywhere, though. School, aging, woohoo, the works. Completely Type VI.

Yeah, but it's a great hack.  You will not get it out of my game ever.

Inteen for AL, yay!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: