More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 09, 18:13:38

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Pets fixated on sectional sofa, even after training
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Pets fixated on sectional sofa, even after training  (Read 2496 times)
Drahkk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Pets fixated on sectional sofa, even after training
« on: 2007 May 14, 22:24:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

OK, guys, this is the first problem I have not been able to find a solution for, and it's a weird one. Just an annoyance, really, but here goes:

A CAS-created family containing two adult sims and two cats moves into their first starter home. The house contains a sectional sofa, because that is the only way they can afford a 3-tile sofa with a comfort rating of 8. Once they have been trained not to scratch the furniture, the cats begin spending most of their time hopping up on the sofa, briefly sitting down, and then hopping off of it again. Even after both cats are completely trained to stay off of furniture, they still continue to fixate on sitting on the sofa. They will not get on any other human furniture after training; only the sectional sofa draws them. When I finally give up and sell the sectional, replacing it with a regular 3-tile sofa, the problem is solved; they only cared about the sectional. Any ideas?

I own the base game plus all 5 EPs, but no Stuff Packs. All 5 EPs have been patched. Aside from a few custom breeds, the only Pets-related mods I'm currently using are noautopetbuy and nostrayrespawn from here and the auto-refill pet dish and self cleaning litter box from DJS Sims. I was using "boolProp controlPets on" and "boolProp petActionCancel true" to help housebreak the cats faster, so the problem only became obvious when I let them run on their own free will.

I have a lot of other unrelated mods in play, mostly minor fixes that Maxis would have written themselves if they ever playtested their product before sending it to market. Listing them all would take forever and would be more than anyone would want to read. I always check for conflicts when I add a new one, though, and I've tested this with custom content turned off, so I'm pretty sure that's not it.

I posted this in the help section at MTS2, and Inge Jones said she feels that since sectionals use different code than normal sofas, this is probably the result of a bug/oversight in the Maxis code.  I was wondering if perhaps someone here has already written a fix that I've been too obtuse to locate, or failing that, if someone might be willing to write one?  As I said, this is more of an annoyance than a real problem, as I can always just use a different sofa. However, if any of you have seen (or written) a fix or have an idea what to do, any assistance would be much appreciated.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
Re: Pets fixated on sectional sofa, even after training
« Reply #1 on: 2007 May 16, 11:12:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The sectionals have always caused problems (something to do with portals). Sometimes simply going into Buy mode and moving the pieces around does the trick, but sometimes it doesn't, and you have to either replace the sectional with another sectional, or with an entirely different sofa (as you've done). I think CrammyBoy has a fix for this here at MATY. You may want to check his section.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 May 16, 11:16:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Basically, it happens because sims think the sectional sofa is a portal to a magical realm or something. They aren't getting on the sofa to sit on it, they're getting on it thinking it is some kind of magical transport. Crammyboy had a fix for this that may still apply.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Drahkk
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 May 17, 07:57:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'd completely forgotten about his old sectional fix for Nightlife, since installing OFB seemed to fix it for regular sims.  However, the symptoms he describes ("... a sim will sit, stand-up, walk away, turn around, sit, etc... indefinitely, on the sectional sofas.") are exactly what my pets are now doing.  I'll give it a try and let you know. 

If it doesn't work, maybe CBoy can adapt it to work for pets without too much trouble.  It looks like he has been offline for almost a month, though.  I'm wondering if he is just on hiatus, or if he has moved on to bigger and better things.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 May 17, 09:11:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm wondering if he is just on hiatus, or if he has moved on to bigger and better things.

Bigger and better than MATY?  Shocked

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: