More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 11, 19:20:24

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  OT - You know you're an internet geek when....
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: OT - You know you're an internet geek when....  (Read 14138 times)
windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
OT - You know you're an internet geek when....
« on: 2005 December 11, 02:45:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The family is driving home from seeing Narnia today.  I tell my husband I want to stop at the Rite Aid because everybody is out of shampoo, soaps, hair gels, etc.   (I've been trying to shop for a couple of weeks now, but the boys are turning into teenagers and I found that browsing Drugstore.com wasn't giving me as much info on new products as I could get walking through the aisles.)

The whole family (two boys, one husband) stares at me and then the 13 year old spits out:

"You mean, we are going to shop by hand??"

Grin

And yes, I did just finish my weekly grocery shopping trip online.  Acme should be here between 11 and 12.  I'll be playing the Sims. :p

------

So, you know you are an internet geek when....

Reality is for those who lack imagination.
resmc
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Re: OT - You know you're an internet geek when....
« Reply #1 on: 2005 December 11, 02:47:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I curse at my PC for not running nearly as fast as my Fios...
eaglezero
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 December 11, 03:10:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You wonder why people call you when you're online. I mean, you can SEE me on aim/trillian/what-have-you, and that's how you knew you could call -- would it really just kill you to type instead? (In fact, I've gotten quite upset at a few people for calling me when I was online. Because I mean, I'm BAD at talking on the phone. I always zone out, or set it down and forget there's someone on the other end, or say I'll be right back and then wander off to get food but decide instead to watch a dozen episodes of Star Trek in a row. So really, IMing works much better. After all, if I wander away, I can always come back and read what you said.)

You are thoroughly confused when people say they need to go to the library to do research. First of all, google is for research. Second of all, if you NEED a book, you can probably order it (used) from somewhere online for the price you'd be paying in library late fees had you tried to borrow it. Thirdly, if you DO need to get it from the library for some reason, you can check the library's ... catalogue ... thingy ... online, and find out which branch of your city library even has the book you want. Just heading off to the library is so twentieth century.

And finally, you know you're an internet geek when a cute boy asks you to write him and gives you his address, and you look at the paper and realize it's his MAILING ADDRESS, and you become completely baffled and then decide that, even if you could figure out this whole "snail mail" thing, you wouldn't want to communicate with someone who was stuck in like, the ninteenth century. Even if he was very attractive.

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."
- WC Fields
BeckerCheez
Irritating Ignoramus

'cause I don't have anything else...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2005 December 11, 03:38:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...you've found your boyfriend online.  *raises hand*  Grin

I met him on an online message board (for a PS2 mag) and we have been talking with each other for more than two years and have been a couple for more than a year and a half.  It's hard b/c we live in different countries (he in Canada, me in US of A) but we were able to visit each other over the summer. 

So yeah...I'm an internet geek.   Cool

Poster Formerly Known as Chee-Z
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 December 11, 04:01:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When you start to think of writing a check as a major hassle because when you bank (and do everything else) online, you just have to cleek ze button. When Christmas rolls around and you realize you still have stamps from *last* Christmas because that's the last time you actually mailed anything.

About the library. I do love to go to the library to browse, but if I want something specific, I go online, access the catalog and have the library send the book or DVD to the branch that's right around the corner from my house. It would be even better if the driver could just stop by here with it, but they aren't going for that idea.
Ivy
Knuckleheaded Knob

"54% Scrumptiousness"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2005 December 11, 04:55:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I met him on an online message board (for a PS2 mag) and we have been talking with each other for more than two years and have been a couple for more than a year and a half.  It's hard b/c we live in different countries (he in Canada, me in US of A) but we were able to visit each other over the summer. 

So yeah...I'm an internet geek.   Cool

How about you've found your husband online, eh? Wink  **raises hand**

You go ahead and move-in said "male friend" after only meeting IRL twice in yer life.  Figuring he'll just stay the weekend and then he'll run off with his "other" online girlfriend(s)...lol

(BTW...at which point your mother decides to do a background check on him to verify he is indeed NOT an ax murderer...lol.)

The next spring you decide...hey he's still around...let's buy a house! Need to ditch this old place anyway...need more room for computer stuffs...

And then the next summer you get married.  By eloping.  To the Black Hills of South Dakota.  Where amazingly, there were no computers to be found and yet you survived with only minor withdrawl symptoms...

To everyone but the groom's surprise, you actually stay married...for 5+ years now!

With two computers in the house...at least half a dozen monitors and spare parts enough to build several more computers...

Makes for a very "happy ever after" Cheesy

Smiley Smiley Smiley
Ivy

BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 December 11, 05:00:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow, Ivy that is intense.  I can't imagine meeting a partner online, let alome marrying them.  I've heard of a love triangle (online) recently that made me laugh, but good for you for actually making it work.  Smiley

Countess
theisz
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 December 11, 05:51:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*Raises hand* 

Me too.  I met my husband 12 years ago on my best friends husband's local BBS he was running.  Yes sir, he had a dial up local BBS, not this fancy internet shiat.  I was living with my best friend and used to stay up late and watch folks log on and watch what they did.  One night I decided to chat with someone and we hit it off.  A couple weeks later my friend's husband asked who I was chatting with and when I told him he said, "Oh my god, that's my boss!"  I met him after chatting with him for about a month and I knew before I even set eyes on him that we had the connection.  I ended up renting a room at the same house he lived in and we have been together ever since.  It took us almost ten years to finally get hitched though.  Yes, we are both computer geeks and we have four pc's in the house, one of which is our sever.  I was in the IT field for 10 years and he after 15 years still is. I was one of those that bought the original Sims game when it first came out and my husband was one of the folks that created meshes at TSR way back in the day.  He along with Dr. Pixel, DOT, Fae, Shenanigan, Marko and some others.  Seems like eons ago.
Liss
Knuckleheaded Knob

BOOT to the HEAD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2005 December 11, 07:43:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

well it's not so uncommon as people think.  I met my husband on IRC, we talked for a year, and then I went across the country (Idaho to Vermont) to pick him up to come live with me LOL....that was about 7 years ago Cheesy  It was the first time we met face to face.

I know I'm an internet geek when I tend to think of my friends that are not online as living in caves.  Join the rest of us in the 21st century, jeez!

Someone sucks more than I do.
http://wytchieone.deviantart.com/gallery
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2005 December 11, 07:58:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I must admit I don't go shopping anymore-I do it all online Grin With my husband's credit card Wink I don't buy magazines or newspapers anymore either.
My brother met his girlfriend online, on a forum like this. But not as awesome Tongue

Kitiara
Lipless Loser

boolprop IQTestingEnabledTrue

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 December 11, 08:21:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My partner/husband was definitely not someone I could have met online. I remember BBS's when they were common. I loved them. I got my first computer when Tandy's were actually almost cool. (Remember no hard drive? Floppy disk or no save?) Five and a half years ago he didn't (literally) know how to turn the PC on, and had never had an e-mail. Now he checks his e-mail twice a day and belongs to three forums. I am a geek and a bad influence.

I would like to ease the minds of anyone that thinks that I am ignoring them. You are not paranoid.
I am not normal. I have never met a normal person. I disbelieve in such mythical creatures.
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 December 11, 09:20:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I met my hubby online too. Second time we met IRL we got married... family was NOT pleased...
But we have been married now for over 4 years and we are still happy.

I also know at least 4 other couples that met while on the internet.

And I do prefer shopping on the internet unless it is something I need *today*.

INTJ
windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 December 11, 10:56:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When you start to think of writing a check as a major hassle because when you bank (and do everything else) online, you just have to cleek ze button.

I had to write a check the other day for the dry cleaner who does a drop off/pick up at work.  I'd forgotten to bring cash ... I managed to find my checkbook...and then I had to stare at for five minutes trying to remember how to write a check.  Cheesy

When Christmas rolls around and you realize you still have stamps from *last* Christmas because that's the last time you actually mailed anything.

My husband asked me the other day how much first class postage is.  We don't know.  We have stamps leftover, but we don't know how much it costs now, online banking and all, haven't mailed anything in forever.

After staring at each other for awhile, we decided he should just put two stamps on and that should cover it.

These are true stories......

Reality is for those who lack imagination.
lindaetterlee
Knuckleheaded Knob

Proud Army Wife. Support us or get the fuck out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2005 December 11, 12:35:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

met my hubby online. he is soldier. we have been married alittle over 2 years. wouldn't change a thing.

Proud Army Wife of a soldier deployed to IRAQ. Support us or get the fuck out.
I am 25.

Quote from: lindaetterlee
The same thing happened with my Pescado, before this he was a lady's man. Now he is some guy's bitch.
Zoltan
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 December 11, 12:45:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When Christmas rolls around and you realize you still have stamps from *last* Christmas because that's the last time you actually mailed anything.

Shocked  I email all my 'cards'   Tongue

My mom hates it; she says its not a "real card"   Undecided
anyeone
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2005 December 12, 03:40:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Guilty as charged... except I married him too (a little over five years ago) so I think that deserves extra geek points.

I'm not megalomaniacal, I just play that way.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 December 12, 04:19:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*joins the masses*

Met my partner online too. We moved in together after about 4 months of dating. It's been 4+ years now and still going strong  Smiley

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 December 12, 04:22:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

(BTW...at which point your mother decides to do a background check on him to verify he is indeed NOT an ax murderer...lol.)

The thing about online hookups, though, is that there are quite a lot of publicized cases where the person on the other end did turn out to be a murderer, or predator, or whichever. And if an online relationship ends up working, then that's great...but the internet, w/ its anonymity, is particularly attractive to unsavory characters, and you just never know just who the person on the other end may be.

Kudos to you on your successful relationship, b/c personally, I'd be way too scared to even meet a person from online, let alone invite him into my house.
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

Suck it, Jesus! This avatar is my God now!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 December 12, 04:26:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow.  This is just sad.  Cheesy

Although, I'm not sure if it's sad because y'all have done all these things online, or if it's sad because I have no husband and don't shop for groceries at all.

I'm gonna go with the latter.  Cheesy

Seriously, it's been pretty cool reading this topic.  I had no idea I was so primitive!  Wink

Well, I better get back to the TV.  You know, I don't have electricity, so I have to watch TV by candlelight.  Wink

Who doesn't like kitties? KITTIES! They're cute! They're fuzzy!
Try this before posting, n00b.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 December 12, 04:28:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well it could happen in R/L too.
You meet someone in a bar or club...they seem nice, you date for a while and then *whammo* you're chopped liver, literally!!

As long as you're careful about meeting someone online i.e: don't invite them to your home on your first or second etc meeting/s, make sure you meet in public places until you get to know them better etc I can't see it being anymore dangerous than the bar/club type of meeting.

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 December 12, 04:39:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well it could happen in R/L too.
You meet someone in a bar or club...they seem nice, you date for a while and then *whammo* you're chopped liver, literally!!

Lol. That's true though, which is why I'm not too kneen on the bar thing either. I don't go to bars anyways, as I don't drink, but I've just never felt it was the greatest idea to pick up a random guy at the local bar and take him home.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 December 12, 04:51:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lol. That's true though, which is why I'm not too kneen on the bar thing either. I don't go to bars anyways, as I don't drink, but I've just never felt it was the greatest idea to pick up a random guy at the local bar and take him home.
[/quote]

I totally agree..that's how the 'net' is different in a way...you can build a relationship of sorts with the other person and IMO if they're a bit 'strange' or only after a 'one nighter' (If that's not your thing LOL) I don't think they'll bother with emails and messages back and forth for too long  Cheesy

mishymoto
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 December 12, 14:39:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm in the same boat as Reggiko and windy_moon because I have not purchased stamps since last Christmas! 
My husband (who I did not meet online) and I just talked about this yesterday and we realized we have not purchased checks for about a year and a half nor will we need to buy any for quite a long while.  Online banking is great.....

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~ Sir Winston Churchill
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 December 12, 18:05:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'll join the club.  I met my boyfriend online, though I'm not sure it counts as it was through an Online Dating Service.  It's secret though, as our official story is that "we met in a bar".  It's technically true, since that's where our first date took place.

I do all my banking online and find it a huge inconvenience when I have to write a cheque.  In fact, I usually have to turn the house upside them looking for them!

I just can't imagine a time when the internet wasn't there to provide you with all the answers --- many hundreds of conflicting ones Smiley

Muisie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2005 December 12, 19:03:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Met my husband in a TCP/IP class for Microsoft.  Saw him playing Starcraft.  Called him a dork.  As a joke he changed the shell of my class computer to the welcome screen and then realized it's irreversable.    He beat my butt at Starcraft.  I beat his butt at the TCPIP test.   Called me his Kernel32 over IM while my jerk-husband-at-the-time was in the next room sleeping.  Got divorced and married on the same day in a magistrate's office 4 months later.  Been happily married 6 years now.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: