More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 08:58:13

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Error report...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Error report...  (Read 17113 times)
Tgdrysix
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Error report...
« on: 2006 June 12, 19:51:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

would someone be willing to take a look at my error report to see what the heck it all means...cause frankly I have no clue what the heck it all means.....Thanks....Tgdry6

<snip>
« Last Edit: 2006 June 13, 21:10:35 by J. M. Pescado » Logged

Lurking since 2005...and proud of it!

Sims2, Uni, NL, OFB, Glamour,Pets, Seasons , BV, Freetime, Celebration, K&B, Ikea
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
Re: Error report...
« Reply #1 on: 2006 June 12, 19:54:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sound errors are normal, and generally not something to be concerned about.  Next time, could you please post error logs in a text attachment?
Tgdrysix
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 June 12, 20:02:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sound errors are normal, and generally not something to be concerned about.  Next time, could you please post error logs in a text attachment?

Sorry I wasn't sure exactly how to go about doing that ....these errors are the only thing showing up after my game reboots itself...so I was hoping there might be something in there that may tell me what's going on.....Thanks.....Tgdry6

Sims2, Uni, NL, OFB, Glamour,Pets, Seasons , BV, Freetime, Celebration, K&B, Ikea
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 June 12, 20:52:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you checked your video drivers to see if they are adequate or need updating?

And you can in future post error logs whee it says additional options at the bottom of the text window when you type your post - just click on it and click browse, which will take you to your pc files and you just go through until you reach EAGames/TheSims2/Logs/

Zephyr Zodiac
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 June 12, 22:10:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sound errors like you posted above are normal, and have been in TS2 since the start. They're harmless, and probably are only visible because TS2 was rushed and little tweaks like cleaning these out were not done by EAMaxis.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 June 12, 22:15:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, maybe in the next patch?.........

Zephyr Zodiac
Tgdrysix
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 June 12, 23:01:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you checked your video drivers to see if they are adequate or need updating?

And you can in future post error logs whee it says additional options at the bottom of the text window when you type your post - just click on it and click browse, which will take you to your pc files and you just go through until you reach EAGames/TheSims2/Logs/

Thanks and yes they are up to date....I think that is one of the problems.....my game doesn't like that version of driver and I wasn't able to roll back to a prior one cause it's  a newly built pc and for some reason it would not let me install an older driver version (my brother even tried and he's pretty handy with computers).....I've tried to play several times today and gotten rebooted every time....some times it lets me play longer....mainly if I'm just building and redecorating....but boy it really hates went I try to "run a business" and it's not particular which one.....home or community....toy,flower, electronics.....I'll getting going good and then every thing freezes and it reboots itself....I delete group cache (?) file
either before I start the game or after I've been booted off.....it's very annoying to have gone throught the expense of a new pc and this damn game still can't be played!  At least since I've had ofb installed.....maybe the new patch will help....not holding my breath on that though ......again thanks for the help.....Tgdry6

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 June 12, 23:04:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unlikely. When I first pointed this out to a Maxoid they were surprised… more evidence most Maxoids don't actually play their game. Apparently *all* debugging messages like this should have been hidden from the console, but in fact never were.

As a rule EA (and hence Maxis) doesn't fix old releases any longer, instead fixes are rolled out with new releases only. The core TS2 game remains buggy, and only by selectively disabling core features (such as objects.package) are bugs avoided in later expansions.

To fix the sound errors the sound system would have to be (partially) overhauled, which I doubt EAMaxis will do. They've yet to fix the karaoke and bowling alley sound bugs that date back to Nightlife, for example… let alone the plethoria of fixes by the FFS crew and others which in many cases date back to TS2.
Tgdrysix
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 June 12, 23:10:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sound errors like you posted above are normal, and have been in TS2 since the start. They're harmless, and probably are only visible because TS2 was rushed and little tweaks like cleaning these out were not done by EAMaxis.

Well I was hoping that it would reveal a mighty mystery that would solve my rebooting issues..... Undecided.....and I guess I was grabbing at straws.....I just want to be able to play my game with out it rebooting everytime I try to do anything.... well not everything , I can build and redecorate stuff but I would like to run it in live mode every once in awhile .....Tgdry6

Tgdrysix
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 June 12, 23:16:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unlikely. When I first pointed this out to a Maxoid they were surprised… more evidence most Maxoids don't actually play their game. Apparently *all* debugging messages like this should have been hidden from the console, but in fact never were.

As a rule EA (and hence Maxis) doesn't fix old releases any longer, instead fixes are rolled out with new releases only. The core TS2 game remains buggy, and only by selectively disabling core features (such as objects.package) are bugs avoided in later expansions.

To fix the sound errors the sound system would have to be (partially) overhauled, which I doubt EAMaxis will do. They've yet to fix the karaoke and bowling alley sound bugs that date back to Nightlife, for example… let alone the plethoria of fixes by the FFS crew and others which in many cases date back to TS2.

Oh please don't dash my last hope...... Cry......Okay well may the "new expansion pack" will help with my problem....... Undecided.......no.....I don't think so either.....but I gotta have faith.....Tgdry6

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 June 12, 23:21:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have to say, I would rather pay £10 more per  EP, wait three months longer, and get a product that didn't have to be constantly modified in order to get it to work properly!  It wasn't like this in the old Sims1 days!

Zephyr Zodiac
Tgdrysix
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 June 13, 20:14:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So I get the reboot again and finally send in the error report and this is what it showed:

Error report summary

Error type    Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
    Solution available?    Yes
    What does this error mean?    You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.
    Cause    A video adapter device driver
    Computer symptoms    A message appears on a blue screen with error code information:

STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
    - or -
    STOP: 0x100000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M

Action for you to take

We have analyzed your error report and there are two solutions for this problem for you to choose between.
+ Solution 1: Install the most current driver for your video card

Been there done that.....but what about this?

+ Solution 2: Manually decrease Hardware Acceleration for your video adapter

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
       2. Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
       3. Click the Troubleshoot tab, move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then clear the Enable Write Combining check box.
       4. Click OK, and then click OK.
          Note: This procedure prevents the display driver from programming the hardware incorrectly, but you may lose some display functionality and performance. Although you can increase the hardware acceleration settings higher than None to regain functionality and performance, these settings increase the chance that the issue will occur again. For maximum stability, leave hardware acceleration off.

What exactly will this do ?  What type of loss of display functionally or performace are they refering to? In other words what can I expect to happen to my game play if I change these settings as recomended above? Thanks for any help it's always most welcome, Tgdry6.

syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2006 June 13, 20:53:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hrm. Sounds odd. Have you tried uninstalling the video drivers completely and then re-installing them with whatever CD/disk that originally came with your video card? I would try this since it seems like your problems happened after updating to a newer driver and you are having problems rolling back.

Ste

Tgdrysix
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 June 13, 21:08:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hrm. Sounds odd. Have you tried uninstalling the video drivers completely and then re-installing them with whatever CD/disk that originally came with your video card? I would try this since it seems like your problems happened after updating to a newer driver and you are having problems rolling back.

Ste

The drivers I have are a "fresh" install....I don't have any older drivers to roll back to so I had to go to the site and look for one that was archived (sp?) .....that's the one it wouldn't  let me roll back to....I forgot  the message it kept giving me....my brother  took a wack at it also and he's pretty computer savvy and he couldn't  get it to accept the older driver either.....I was trying to get the 77.77 version , cause the 84.21 really doesn't play nicely with the sims2.   This is a new pc a friend of my daughter's built for me....it was suppose to be awesome.....not to the sims anyway....lol.....tgdry6

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 June 13, 22:06:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

+ Solution 2: Manually decrease Hardware Acceleration for your video adapter

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Display.
       2. Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
       3. Click the Troubleshoot tab, move the Hardware Acceleration slider to None, and then clear the Enable Write Combining check box.
       4. Click OK, and then click OK.
          Note: This procedure prevents the display driver from programming the hardware incorrectly, but you may lose some display functionality and performance. Although you can increase the hardware acceleration settings higher than None to regain functionality and performance, these settings increase the chance that the issue will occur again. For maximum stability, leave hardware acceleration off.

What exactly will this do ?  What type of loss of display functionally or performace are they refering to? In other words what can I expect to happen to my game play if I change these settings as recommended above? Thanks for any help it's always most welcome, Tgdry6.

As far as I understand it, that setting tunes down any settings in the graphics card that make things faster, like multiple pipelines.  The only time I've seen turning down hardware acceleration help anything is with the cheap-ass computers they provide at work, which are built by some no-name company, where if the setting is at maximum, MS Word doesn't show any graphics at all.  The problem is that whoever built the things put in video cards that are mismatched with the motherboard bus, and can suck in data faster than the bus can provide it.

So in your case it may cause a bit of lag in the game, and you may have to compensate by turning down some of the graphic settings, starting with shadows and reflections. You may also have to lower the view distances so the card doesn't have to work as hard drawing all that background stuff.

You haven't mentioned what type of computer you have, and what type of video card.  That info would also help us help you. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Tgdrysix
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 June 14, 01:04:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You haven't mentioned what type of computer you have, and what type of video card.  That info would also help us help you.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64x2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
2.01 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM
GeForce 7600 GT 256 MB PCI Express x 16
Window XP (SP2) Home Edition 2000

This computer was home built by a friend of my daughter's.....he recommended the parts....I ordered them and he put it together for me.....I'm thinking of increasing the RAM to 2.00 GB.....maybe that might help. 

So in your case it may cause a bit of lag in the game, and you may have to compensate by turning down some of the graphic settings, starting with shadows and reflections. You may also have to lower the view distances so the card doesn't have to work as hard drawing all that background stuff

Well that pretty much sucks.....I had better options running it on my old computer with my GeForce 5700 which blew up....Tgdry6

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 June 14, 03:16:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How much available RAM do you have after the game has been running for a couple of hours?  Also, how big is your Paging file.  With 1GB of RAM you can increase that with no probs to 2048 (exactly) maximum, even though windows says 1.5GB.  You can free up RAM by getting rid of non essential start-up programs too.

Zephyr Zodiac
Tgdrysix
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 June 14, 12:20:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How much available RAM do you have after the game has been running for a couple of hours?  Also, how big is your Paging file.  With 1GB of RAM you can increase that with no probs to 2048 (exactly) maximum, even though windows says 1.5GB.  You can free up RAM by getting rid of non essential start-up programs too.
[/i][/b]

Unfortunately it rarely lets me run it for that long....continously that is without it rebooting unless I'm just building stuff or redecorating....would that count?  If so how do I check this available RAM? Don't know anything about the Paging File.....I read a thread on it but unfortunately could make heads or tails out of what the heck it was referring to.....I'm hesistant to mess with stuff that although seems uncomplicated to some.....ALWAYS for me turns out to be more that what it seems..... Undecided....I've mess up my compute once already trying to do what was suppose to be simple and had to have someone come and fix my screw-up..... Embarrassed.....learned my lesson......Oh and thanks for the suggestions.....keeping my fingers crossed that I can find a solution......Tgdrysix

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 June 14, 12:34:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To find out how much available RAM you have at any time, go to the desktop leaving your game idling, then press control/alt/deleteand Windows Task Manager will appear.  Click on Performance, and you will see 2 graphs.  The top one shows you how hard your processor is working, the second shows houw much RAM you are using, and by subtraction from 1024 (1GB) you can find how much you have available.  If it is less than 50 - 100 MB then your game will be extremely slow and choppy and if your paging file is small and you frequently get messages saying the windows is increasing the paging file, then you have nothing to fall back on and this could lead to your game crashing.  The trouble is, that although Windows increases the size of your paging file, it's not permanent, and next time you play the problem will reoccur.  There is an excellent article at SimWardrobe (Paladin's Place) which is very easy to understand, which explains how to cut out some of the many programs that insist on running at start-up, and really don't need to.  The article also tells you how to make a non-dynamic paging file, which, although it made a tremendous difference to my PC when I did it, it may not be the best thing for you if you have problems with technical stuff.  However, it does show you how to get to the option to change your paging file and once you have read through the article you will probably understand a little of how it works, then you can simply increase the upper limit to 2048 and see if that helps.

Zephyr Zodiac
Tgdrysix
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 June 14, 12:50:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To find out how much available RAM you have at any time, go to the desktop leaving your game idling, then press control/alt/deleteand Windows Task Manager will appear.  Click on Performance, and you will see 2 graphs.  The top one shows you how hard your processor is working, the second shows houw much RAM you are using, and by subtraction from 1024 (1GB) you can find how much you have available.  If it is less than 50 - 100 MB then your game will be extremely slow and choppy and if your paging file is small and you frequently get messages saying the windows is increasing the paging file, then you have nothing to fall back on and this could lead to your game crashing.  The trouble is, that although Windows increases the size of your paging file, it's not permanent, and next time you play the problem will reoccur.  There is an excellent article at SimWardrobe (Paladin's Place) which is very easy to understand, which explains how to cut out some of the many programs that insist on running at start-up, and really don't need to.  The article also tells you how to make a non-dynamic paging file, which, although it made a tremendous difference to my PC when I did it, it may not be the best thing for you if you have problems with technical stuff.  However, it does show you how to get to the option to change your paging file and once you have read through the article you will probably understand a little of how it works, then you can simply increase the upper limit to 2048 and see if that helps.

Thanks will "dash" over there and see what I can see.....Tgdrysix

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 June 14, 12:52:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hope it helps - at least most of the explanations are accompanied by a pic of what you should see on your screen.

Zephyr Zodiac
Tgdrysix
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 June 14, 14:22:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hope it helps - at least most of the explanations are accompanied by a pic of what you should see on your screen.

Well I followed the directions.....except for the last part....I left that alone for now.....changed my paging file to 2048 (static) as recommended.....and I guess I'll  give that a try for now.....I'm planning on in the near future to increase from 1GB to 2 GB and maybe that will help....and  any pics along with directions are always nice..... Smiley.....made it alot more clearer for me....Tgdrysix

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 June 14, 14:34:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I thought it was one of the clearest sets of directions I'd seen.  Hope it helps.  And the Ad-Aware program, I've found is pretty good, always seems to find stuff that's managed to sneak past McAfee!

Zephyr Zodiac
Tgdrysix
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 June 14, 14:52:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I thought it was one of the clearest sets of directions I'd seen.  Hope it helps.  And the Ad-Aware program, I've found is pretty good, always seems to find stuff that's managed to sneak past McAfee!

Well sad to say none of it helped....I was ALLOWED to play about  20 minutes this round before I got kicked out....I guess I'm going to have to give the driver rollback another wack cause I just refuse to play without the full benifits of my graphics card (Manually decrease Hardware Acceleration)....that is just ridiculous to have a high end card and not be able to use it's features....man I'm so aggravated with this crap.... Angry.....Tgdrysix

KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 June 14, 15:03:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Out of curiousity, do you have the "useshaders" cheat in a startup file? I have a Geforce 5200 graphics card and when I used that cheat, it caused my computer to reboot; once I took it out, it was fine.

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: