More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 14:20:09

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Help getting back in the game
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Help getting back in the game  (Read 3884 times)
resin
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Help getting back in the game
« on: 2007 December 25, 17:55:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So, I played TS2 on a PC from the beginning up until about when Pets came out. At that time - due to a hideous breakup - I lost access to the game and stopped keeping up on things. Now, it's Christmas, and I just got a copy of TS2 for Mac from my dad (I forgot that it was on my Amazon wish list). I take this as a sign...so here I am, getting back in the game. Starting over, really.

...only I know how critical it is to get things set up properly with this game so as to avoid aggravation or even a BFBVFS. So, can anyone please answer a few questions I have? I used to know what I was doing, and I've already answered many of my questions by poking around and downloading things. But I still have a few things I'd love answered. Please be warned that some of them are stupid! Thanks in advance!

I'll lead off with the stupidest question: on my Mac, where do I put any downloaded hacks or mods? There is no "download" folder...do I just create one? If so, in which directory? I know this is answered somewhere but for the life of me, I can't find the answer. Sorry!

Did SimPE ever come out for Mac? outside of running it on BootCamp, that is...

Is the Armory full of obsolete hacks, or is there useful stuff in there for those running, say, Seasons? I've downloaded a ton of useful things already, but it's nagging at me that I might be missing some still from the old days. Maybe the older ones are no longer necessary or incorporated in Firing Range hacks?

I'm intending to get Uni, NL, Pets, and Seasons, but not OfB or BV or any Stuff packages. Are there any problems anyone can see with this config? Are any of the newer EPs so FUBARed that I shouldn't bother?

Again, thanks so much. It's going to be fun to be back...now please go ahead and shower me with abuse.
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Help getting back in the game
« Reply #1 on: 2007 December 25, 19:38:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

1. Somewhere under your home folder, probably in /Documents, there is a folder named 'The Sims 2'.  Create a 'Downloads' folder there.

2. There is no SimPE for Mac OS X.

3. Under the Hack Directory for Seasons on this site, there is a /obsolete sub-dir.  Pick up the fixes there, except maybe the pets one, since you don't have any yet.  I don't think a patch has been released yet for Seasons under Mac.
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 December 27, 05:25:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have no help to offer, because I do the Boot Camp thing, but I'm curious as to why you don't want OfB in your game. Personally, it's my favourite EP, next to Seasons, and works really well in tandem with Seasons. The ability for sims to be self-employed and the near-endless possibilities for shops and home-businesses enriches the game quite a lot. That's only my opinion, of course, but I think you'll be missing out.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
resin
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 January 04, 07:33:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

seelindarum,

Thanks for your help. I noticed that once I had started up the game once (to create my own neighborhood in prep for my new take on the game), a "Download" folder was automatically generated. "Duh" to me for not thinking of that...
In other news, it looks like there is a patch at Aspyr for Seasons, so I picked up the combined patch there.

notveryawesome,

I hear you about OfB. I definitely looked into it hard, but ultimately it just doesn't interest me. I totally see why it's perfect for other players, but I have no interest at all in expanding the amount worklife is a factor in the game. In fact the idea of having my sims run their own businesses honestly sends shudders down my spine. Definite anti-fun for me. I would pick up the expansion anyway if it expanded other aspects of the game...but it doesn't in any significant way.

Oddly, I think my view is the opposite of yours: I really love how jobs work in the core game. In fact, my primary criteria for buying a new EP is "does it have new jobs?". That's why Pets and Seasons are on my list (don't care that much about the subject but - woo! - they have new jobs) and BV isn't ("vacations? kind of interesting...no new jobs? later, skater.").
Odd, no?
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 January 04, 23:28:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for letting me know about the patch!  But lordy, that thing's huge!  424MB?  I don't think the Pets EP was that big!  What could they possibly have jammed in there, to bloat it up like that?!

Before I shred my game, have you tried it?  Wink
resin
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 January 04, 23:35:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for letting me know about the patch!  But lordy, that thing's huge!  424MB?  I don't think the Pets EP was that big!  What could they possibly have jammed in there, to bloat it up like that?!

Before I shred my game, have you tried it?  Wink

Ha! Since I'm starting from scratch, I'll be happy to be a guinea pig for this patch. The EPs all arrived today, so give me a week and I'll let you know how it goes...
resin
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 January 22, 21:29:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My update as promised: all is running swimmingly and I seem to have no problems with either hacks or the giant Aspyr patch. I am running a PowerMac, though, and not an Intel. There seem to be reports of the giant patch not working as well for Intel models. Be warned!
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 January 23, 00:46:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, that was even more helpful, thank you!  My game also remains in the venerable age of PPC.  Grin

I'm almost finished with the family rotation, so I guess I'll take the plunge.  Even though you say it all works, patches make me nervous.  Lips sealed
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: