More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 22:03:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  I have no mailbox and the stoves won't work.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: I have no mailbox and the stoves won't work.  (Read 7805 times)
Solestri
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
I have no mailbox and the stoves won't work.
« on: 2007 August 20, 16:41:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I downloaded a small community lot a while ago and re-zoned it as a residential lot. I moved a sim in and things seem fine, except that most cookiing appliances refuse to work on this lot.

My sim can cook ramen in the microwave but when a stove, toaster oven, or grill is placed on the lot, it acts as if the item can't be used. Making the appliance dirty in debug mode gives me the option to clean it, but nothing else. She has a few cooking points, so she should be able to make pop-tarts and TV dinners. I was beginning to wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that there is no mailbox.

Since this lot started out as a community lot, it doesn't have a mailbox on it. Oddly enough, this doesn't seem to have caused any of the major issues I thought it would. My sim runs a home business and visitors can come and go quite easily. I've been wondering if the lack of a mailbox was causing the game to treat this as a non-residential lot (hence the malfunctioning stove), but that doesn't seem to be the case as my sim can still sleep, gain skill points, and gets the newspaper delivered. And grills don't work, even though they should work on all lots.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Will a replacement mailbox fix this, or is the lot a lost cause?
Invisigoth
Peedrinker
Malodorous Moron

INTP: pensive analytical skeptic.

View Profile
Re: I have no mailbox and the stoves won't work.
« Reply #1 on: 2007 August 20, 17:53:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't know about the stoves, but you absolutely do need a mailbox and garbage bin for a residental lot to work properly.  You can download them at modthesims2 I think.  Just search mailbox and RTFM to make sure that the one you're downloading isn't just a worthless piece of deco.  Its at least worth seeing if it fixes it before you burninate the lot.  Although don't get this forum started on the problems one can encounter when downloading lots from the exchange.  Laverwinkle is a good place to download non broken lots.  But I'm cool so I don't remember the url right now.

A queue is a line. A cue is a pool stick or a hint or guiding suggestion.
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 August 20, 19:05:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

frillen @ mts2 has a collection with the ingame mailboxen and trashcans in it, among a ton of other things:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=131127
Norahs
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 August 21, 00:01:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want just the mailbox and trash can you can get those at Sim a Little Dream a Lot http://www.simsfiles.de/outgoing.php?id=269&pid=15&jump=http%3A%2F%2Fdaydream.etowns.net%2FS2hacked.htm
Solestri
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 August 21, 01:40:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I downloaded Frillen's collections and placed a mailbox back on the lot. (Thanks for the links!  Smiley )
However, the stoves/grills/toaster ovens still aren't working...  Huh
rosenshyne
Dimwitted Dunce

I/ENFJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 August 21, 03:33:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you replaced all the objects that won't work since you added the mailbox?

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 August 21, 05:09:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried a different sim on the same lot? I've had inconsistent issues since the base game --when I was hack free-- with a few sims who either can't use the stove (I can't recall if they even got the clean option) or can't clean plates.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 August 21, 20:16:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Got diagonal doors in the kitchen?

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 August 21, 20:48:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you place the residential trashcan as well as the mailbox? Like exactly how did you change the zone and are the stoves in question meant to be on a res lot? Have you picked up the stoves, deleted them and replaced them? Is the sim that is tring to use the stove in the room with the stove when you click on it?

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2007 August 24, 11:24:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What kind of stove is it? If it's the large 2-tile stove that community-lot chefs use, then it won't work on a residential lot unless you use hacks. Also, sometimes just picking up an object in Build or Buy mode and putting it back down in the same spot will do the trick, but more often than not you must completely replace it.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Solestri
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 August 24, 14:21:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No diagonal doors. There's a residential garbage can on the lot. All cooking appliances have been deleted and replaced numerous times since the mailbox has been replaced. The stoves I'm trying to use are just the usual one-tile household stoves.

As soon as I put this lot into my neighborhood, I went into it and used the "changelotzoning residential" cheat so I could move a sim onto it.

Have you tried a different sim on the same lot? I've had inconsistent issues since the base game --when I was hack free-- with a few sims who either can't use the stove (I can't recall if they even got the clean option) or can't clean plates.

I'm going to try to put another sim on this lot and try that. Did these sims regain their ability to cook/clean when they were moved out and moved back in?
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 August 24, 15:14:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm going to try to put another sim on this lot and try that. Did these sims regain their ability to cook/clean when they were moved out and moved back in?
I never tried. I just decided it was a personality quirk...you know, the celebrity chef who makes delicious meals but will never pick up the dishes.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 August 24, 21:01:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've no solution to the problem, but the subject line sure would make a good title for a plaintive country song.

Ziggy gets out her guitar and sings:

I have no mailbox and
My stoves don't work.
I'm stuck in this joint
With a drunken jerk

Wah, wah, wah.
Wah, wah, wah.

Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2007 August 25, 03:46:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've no solution to the problem, but the subject line sure would make a good title for a plaintive country song.

Ziggy gets out her guitar and sings:

I have no mailbox and
My stoves don't work.
I'm stuck in this joint
With a drunken jerk

Wah, wah, wah.

ROTFL!  I clicked on this thread just to add something similar.  Drat.  XD

* AmberDiceless gets out her harmonica and accompanies Ziggy.

I got them...
No-mailbox
Busted-stove
Simmin' bluuuuues.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 August 25, 14:48:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wah wah-wah wah WAH, strum-strum, strum-strum

Bow chicka wow wow.

Wah wah-wah wah WAH, strum-strum, strum-strum....

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Marchioness
rohina
Horny Turkey
Grammar Police

"So MEAN!"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 August 25, 22:42:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Love the song. My reaction when I read the topic was: "You're trying to bake yourself a new mailbox?"

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 August 25, 22:53:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And there's the song title; Bakin' Mah Mailbox

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Tina G
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 August 26, 00:29:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When all else fails, I would try moving the family out and then back in again. Maybe because of the mailbox situation, the game is still seeing it as a community lot for some reason.  Huh  Just make sure you have a proper trashcan and mailbox before trying it.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 August 29, 23:17:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Might also be worth checking the sims Neighbourhood Memory for problems, such as Attraction Markers, if you don't use the FFSDebugger with the option to remove them.  It may be some form of the NL jump bug which in my game at that time cause certain sims to be unable to pee or shower, or even wash their hands.

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 August 30, 05:14:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The lack of mailbox can break the game's detection of the lot as residential, possibly interfering with the ability to use the stove.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 August 30, 05:22:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's true, but some downloaded stoves might work, you never know.  Failing that, try Paladin's replicator or buffet tables - no cooking skills required and your sims won't starve.  And they can charge visitors!

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: