More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 23:22:50

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  6 Days at Home to do WHAT Exactly?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: 6 Days at Home to do WHAT Exactly?  (Read 19713 times)
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
6 Days at Home to do WHAT Exactly?
« on: 2005 August 05, 03:04:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When one of my YA's graduated and moved into the neighbourhood the job he needed for his LTW didn't start until Thursday.  No problem, his degree was ideally-suited to Natural Scientist which meant he could work in that career on Tuesday & Wednesday and make some much-needed cash.  He went in at Level 9 and on Wednesday came home $30,000 richer having made it to Ecological Guru.  This job is one day a week and that day happened to be Wednesday, so it was just as well he wasn't staying in it.

My point is - what the hell are they supposed to do for the other six days?  They can't do two jobs at once and as this Sim is maxed-out on all his skills except two, which are almost maxed-out ( and which I am deliberately keeping like that so he can go for the Max Out All Skills LTW next), what else can he do other than spend all day selling masterpieces (not novels, because it makes them so depressed).  Maybe he could teleport in neighbourhood kids and train them on the career objects?  This guy is a knowledge Sim, what is he supposed to learn?  I suppose I could get rid of some of his skills and he could re-learn them, but that seems a bit drastic. 

What ARE they supposed to do with their time if they're only working one day a week?  There just aren't enough things available in the game, at least not in terms of gaining them anything.  They can't even spend their time visiting community lots because the time doesn't pass while they're gone - not that there's anything to do there they can't do at home anyway.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
nikita
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: 6 Days at Home to do WHAT Exactly?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 August 05, 03:12:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well with just the base game and Uni, probably nothing.

I would imagine if NL promises to be all that it seems to be, that a job that is only one day a week would be convenient to hang around Downtown and go on many dates.

I recently just had my Sim quit his job because the hours aren't NL-compatible in my opinion and I'm planning for him to sow his oats in the new ep before settling down.

A one-day work week Sim would make a good parent though, esp. for raising toddlers and buildig skills in their kids and teens.

I wish our Sims could hold down more than one job at a time.  That's always a desire I have especially when I have Sims living from hand to mouth and they have something like 2 days off before going to work again.  It'd be nice to pick up an extra job on the side.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 August 05, 03:18:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My point is - what the hell are they supposed to do for the other six days? They can't do two jobs at once and as this Sim is maxed-out on all his skills except two, which are almost maxed-out ( and which I am deliberately keeping like that so he can go for the Max Out All Skills LTW next), what else can he do other than spend all day selling masterpieces (not novels, because it makes them so depressed).  Maybe he could teleport in neighbourhood kids and train them on the career objects?  This guy is a knowledge Sim, what is he supposed to learn?  I suppose I could get rid of some of his skills and he could re-learn them, but that seems a bit drastic. 
Yeah, it'd be nice if the game allowed you to work 3 jobs at once, perhaps juggling them and trying not to get fired. Consider also: you get 3 vacation days for having a baby. At one working day a week, you'll have 3 freaking weeks of vacation. Your sim probably will never need to work again. Consider it an early retirement. Natural Science is thus a great career track for both "people who want to make a lot of money really fast" (re-apply repeatedly at L9 to rake in the huge 30K promo bonus), and "stay-at-home" people.

What ARE they supposed to do with their time if they're only working one day a week?  There just aren't enough things available in the game, at least not in terms of gaining them anything.  They can't even spend their time visiting community lots because the time doesn't pass while they're gone - not that there's anything to do there they can't do at home anyway.
Presumably, whatever you want. I generally go for Be Instructor or Power Idle. Both have the effect of getting the aforementioned sim out of my way, which is why you send them to work, right? So you don't have to keep pampering them? Use that Power Idle. Tongue

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 August 05, 03:24:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Go hang out at community lots, make some poolhalls or something. Throw lots of parties. Invite all of your friends over for your sim to paint their portraits. Let him wander around on free will and see what he does. Have him have kids and actually spend time with his family instead of just everyone studing or something. Get a new job from the newspaper (lower than computer) and work his way to the top of all the career laders. Have him chat on the computer until he meets everyone in the neighborhood. Woohoo all the service people, then invite all of them over at the same time and see if through chatting with each other, they figure out that you're the new town bike.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005 August 05, 04:09:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Go hang out at community lots, make some poolhalls or something. Throw lots of parties. Invite all of your friends over for your sim to paint their portraits. Let him wander around on free will and see what he does. Have him have kids and actually spend time with his family instead of just everyone studing or something. Get a new job from the newspaper (lower than computer) and work his way to the top of all the career laders. Have him chat on the computer until he meets everyone in the neighborhood. Woohoo all the service people, then invite all of them over at the same time and see if through chatting with each other, they figure out that you're the new town bike.
Well, I can't send him to the community lots because as aforesaid, time doesn't pass so I'd still be stuck with him when he got back!  Neither can he have kids, at least not more than one, because I am restricting all offspring to one per family.  As for starting jobs from the bottom, he can't do that if he's an Ecological Guru because he's already got one.  See the problem?!

I'd already thought along the lines JM mentioned, actually.  If I put him into Ecological Guru at Level 9 every Wednesday, he should keep coming back with $30,000, then he can do another job for the rest of the week.  On top of that, he will get one cowplant a week and can fill the garden with them.  I'd have loved that idea before I found out that killing off townies doesn't actually help in terms of overloaded neighbourhood problems. 

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 August 05, 05:15:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Give them to paint, or write a novel. Each painting can be selled - and that's another job.

But when I give them to paint, I always have passing-by visitors, so I host them almost all day.

Anyway, you choosed the new job only to get the carreer reward, right? After you get the reward - "find a job" again, may be you'll get the Paranormal reward, and again. My sims LTW is to be criminal mastermind, but for now I send them to Paranormal. After I get the O-Nomitron, I'll search for another job. As they are already in platinum mood, I collect as many reward as I can.

And, don't forget the kids: the job you have doesn't require nanny, except once a week "just for now" - and the parents can spent a lot of time with the kids.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 August 05, 07:47:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or give him the Be Chief of Staff LTW and let him get a real job!

Zephyr Zodiac
nikita
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 August 05, 07:54:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could try turning your neighborhood townies into supercapable useful members of society by taking in a few at a time and training them and then turning them back into NPCs.  I'm currently doing that with my teen townies in Veronaville in case I decide to send any of them to college.

Or you could start focusing on Influence points instead of aspiration points and use them to make two sims fall in love with each other and then once you've accomplished that, get more influence points to make them hate each other.

You could have your Sim become a serial killer.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 August 05, 08:02:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like Sara_Dippity's ideas! *making mental note*
What about an orphanage - though you said you're keeping numbers down. Or he could found a religious cult, building a temple and moving in some teenagers to Instruct, they could all wear togas  Tongue. Or an old peoples home, make him work to build it up, having given away all his money to the local dogs home.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 August 05, 08:08:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe he could run a prison?

Zephyr Zodiac
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 August 05, 08:20:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes! A prison. I have one right here. LastDitch Prison was created soon after Inge started releasing her prison objects. It doesn't have many of the newer bits but the base structure is fine, you can see some pics here.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 August 05, 10:41:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That should keep him busy on his days off!

Zephyr Zodiac
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 August 05, 17:39:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Situations like this make me really hope that they carry through with that expansion they mentioned as a possibility in the survey, one where you might be able to build your own furniture or do something else like that, something productive for sims with max skills and such. I hope that rumor that was squashed turns out to be true, the farming expansion. Or other things that can be a hobby, not just painting and novel writing. I know they mentioned making jewelery.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 August 05, 17:48:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think they could perhaps bring in new skills, which would give the Knowledge Sims something to aim for!  Maybe they could also bring in an extension to Uni where elders could perhaps study something and they could add elder only LTWs to go with it!

Zephyr Zodiac
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 August 05, 17:51:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It should be easier to lose skills, or harder to gain them. Current rates are ridicilous: even without smart milk stuckage I can often get a teen in permaplat with all seven skills maximized.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 August 05, 17:56:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For which reason I rarely try to do it, leaves them nothing to aim for in life!

They should have changed the careers instead of simply rehashing the Sims1 ones!  For example, the top of the politics careers shouldn't be Mayor of Simcity, but something else, and Mayor of simcity could be an award for one sim at a time, say to be held for 3 days and determined by some point-count within the game.  Either that or they should have totally rewritten them and made them more logical!  How many ambulance drivers do you know who go on to become Hospital Chief of Staff?
« Last Edit: 2005 August 05, 18:01:24 by ZephyrZodiac » Logged

Zephyr Zodiac
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 August 05, 18:15:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

True ZZ, that's why I only have one mayor at a time. If I want another sim to become mayor, the current on has to 'resign'. On top of that, any mayor can only stay mayor for one sim week + 1 day at most(sort of like real politics, where the elections change mayors as well, and any elected official can stay for two terms @ appr. 8yrs total)

Same goes for chief of staff. I grant them one for the community hospital and one for the university hospital, but they have to step aside for new chief(s) of staff.

G.

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 August 05, 21:31:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What a good idea!  As long as they only have mayors, it should work, but Prime Ministers have no restrictions apart from the wishes of their own party (at least, in the UK!)

Zephyr Zodiac
sara_dippity
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 August 05, 22:04:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How many ambulance drivers do you know who go on to become Hospital Chief of Staff?
One time I was at a hospital and I ran into an ex boyfriend. He was working in the cafeteria. He told me all about his plan to work his way up from flipping burgers to being Hospital Administrator. Dude, I got news for you...
Man am I glad he's my ex.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 August 05, 22:08:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same goes for chief of staff. I grant them one for the community hospital and one for the university hospital, but they have to step aside for new chief(s) of staff.
I figure that SimCity has a lot of hospitals. I mean, I sure as hell do. Just to fill the constant demands of whiny sims requires at least 3 hospitals covering a goodly-sized residential district. Of course, the only thing you've ever managed to produce is slums full of the sick and dying, which is clearly explainable by your LACK OF HOSPITALS.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 August 05, 22:53:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Funny, though, it must be the clean air in Pleasantview, but none of them ever seem to go into hospital!  (Except occasionally after an accident at work, and you never actually SEE them go!

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 August 05, 22:54:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Funny, though, it must be the clean air in Pleasantview, but none of them ever seem to go into hospital!  (Except occasionally after an accident at work, and you never actually SEE them go!
Sims don't have accidents at work. If they're at work, they can hold it indefinitely until they either get home, then have an accident out on the sidewalk, or until their lunch break.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 August 05, 23:00:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it was actually in sims1 when they had accidents at work, but only in the Athletic and Military Careers.

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 August 05, 23:02:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, in TS1, they didn't have lunch breaks, so they just held it until they got home, then pissed themselves. But back then, sims didn't care if they peed themselves.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 August 05, 23:04:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The accidents I meant were broken arms, bullet wounds etc.

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: