More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 09:39:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Baby unselectable, will not grow up :(
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Baby unselectable, will not grow up :(  (Read 16541 times)
aeslis
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Baby unselectable, will not grow up :(
« on: 2005 October 06, 03:15:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me about this.

The last time I played Sims, my female sim gave birth (got pregnant and gave birth all within one play session).  The baby was born, she handed it over to her betrothed because she was way tired, and stepped out of the way. Well, her betrothed held it for a bit, but the birth was in the bathroom, and he got shooed out.  Instead of taking the baby with him, he put it on the floor.

Then it got weird... after the baby was deposited on the floor, no one else could select it.  The arrow became grayed out when I hovered it over the infant.  With moveobects on, I could transport the baby somewhere else, but in no other way was it recognized by the game.  Options were still available when I clicked on the fridge or crib (put *baby in crib, or get bottle for *baby*), but when I selected these options they would disappear immediately from the queue and no one would make any movement for the poor infant.  His diaper got soiled, and no one even seemed to recognize that a baby existed.

So, I tried boolprop.  I made the poor little guy happy.  I tried to set his birthday, so he's due to grow up, but no one will take him to the cake.  He just lies there on the floor.  When I use boolprop to make him 'selectable' his green glowing arrow atop his head is at a weird angle (parallel to the floor, instead of perpendicular).  I'm wondering if that's an indication of anything.

Now, while writing this I've just thought that perhaps the nobabyharassment hack of JM's I have installed is the culprit.  I can't test at the moment as my desktop computer is in a room where someone is asleep (or trying to be), but even with this hack installed, a baby in another lot grew up just fine with nothing like this...

If anyone has any ideas, tests I could do, etc etc, please let me know.  I'll try removing the hack tomorrow and see how that goes.

Peace. Smiley
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Baby unselectable, will not grow up :(
« Reply #1 on: 2005 October 06, 03:28:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Iy must be some hack. Move out all your hacks, and see if you can hold the baby. Then you can put them one by one in the game.

I suggest you to open a subfolder, only for hacks, and move all your hacks there; it will be easy to move the subfolder out, and check the performance.

In "view", choose "arrange by name". The hacks don't have numbers, only words. Move them to the subfolder, then check the game without it.
pet_peeve
Asinine Airhead

Malordorous chowder jockey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 October 06, 03:37:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some of this sounds like what happens when a baby falls asleep on the floor - you can't do much at all until the baby wakes up - it won't even start crying about the soiled diaper until it wakes up. One time when this happened, I put a radio in the room and turned it on, and even then the baby wouldn't stay awake long enough for someone to pick it up and cribify it - they would just stand there looking worried (literally - that's what the activity box said).  I eventually gave up and let the kid sleep in its own filth until it finally woke up and screamed its head off a LONG time later. Energy recovery is really slow when sleeping on the floor (1 vs. 12 for a crib or cradle).

Some of the other stuff is weird though - if you can force an error on the baby, try that. Worst case, delete it with move objects on, and exit and reenter the lot.

I've also had odd baby things happen to bathrooms with the TP installed - if you don't queue up something that gets the parent out of the room immediately, they will very often drop the baby on the floor and bolt. Subsequent attempts to rescue the baby sometimes result in activities that look like a bomb disposal - all that's needed to make that effect more obvious would be to have the sim take out a stick and poke the baby on the floor before running out of the room like a nut. My suggestion would be to turn off all TP effects (auto-toileting and the bum's rush) if a baby is within the TPs sphere of influence.
« Last Edit: 2005 October 06, 03:46:16 by pet_peeve » Logged
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 October 06, 04:08:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The plumbob angle is normal for babies since they aren't supposed to be selectable characters.  It looks weird, but there's nothing wrong with it.  You could try forcing an error on the baby by shift-clicking while boolprop testing cheats are enabled, and then click "reset."  But I'm thinking there is a hack causing this.  Like gali said, take out your hacks and see if you can interact with the baby then.  Don't save the game, just see if the problem is solved, then exit without saving.  Saving your game while hacks are removed could cause some items to revert back to Maxis default and kind of mess things up like that, so just enter long enough to see if the problem still exists, and if it doesn't, then at least you know it's one of your hacks. 
Meek_Monkey
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 October 06, 04:59:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is the no baby harasment hack as I had this problem and removed it and could pick the baby up
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 October 06, 04:59:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While this might be because of a  hack, I suspect it's an actual game bug.  There are a lot of actions that, if not terminated gracefully, will result in such weirdness as you describe.  It sounds like you got yourself into that kind of situation.

I go along with the other posters in suggesting you try forcing an error on the baby and resetting it, which may or may not work.  Deleting the baby with moveobjects on will almost certainly work.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
aeslis
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 October 06, 09:21:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.  I did eye the 'force error' option but, being unsure what it did, I didn't want to play with it for fear of screwing up my game worse than it was.  I'll try some of these suggestions tomorrow when I can turn on the game and hopefully they'll work-- if they do, I'll let you all know. Smiley

Though one question:  I did, once upon a time, delete a person with moveobjects on, and the person just... didn't come back.  I'm not sure I tried to leave the lot, though, because it wanted me to save, of course, and I didn't want to do that without being sure I could get someone back-- so, just to verify, if you delete somebody, they'll be definitely there upon lot re-entry?
gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 October 06, 09:26:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

so, just to verify, if you delete somebody, they'll be definitely there upon lot re-entry?

Yes, when you enter the lot the next time, the previously deleted Sim will be next to the mailbox (with motives refreshed to boot). Moveobjects doesn't delete Sims permanently.

Opera loving chickens. Can't eat them. Can't vote for them. Can't wear them as a hat.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 October 06, 13:08:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Force error isn't nearly as bad as it sounds, if you choose the reset option it resets whoever or whatever to their normal original state and can often fix some serious problems. Actually, the game will reset sims on its own if the run into problems, it's just that without testingcheatsenabled on, you won't see it other than maybe noticing a little jump.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 October 06, 13:15:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could have used it as a decoration or something. Maybe place it on a coffee table next to a bowl of fruit?  Cheesy

Instant gratification takes too long.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 October 06, 13:26:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

While this might be because of a  hack, I suspect it's an actual game bug.  There are a lot of actions that, if not terminated gracefully, will result in such weirdness as you describe.

I think Hook's suspicion of a game bug is correct.  I had an identical situation involving an infant after cancelling out some actions involving a ghost and deleting his tombstone.  Tried everything short of using hacks.  Nothing worked.  I back up my game folder weekly so I installed my most recent backup, did not perform the same actions, and the bug has never been replicated.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2005 October 06, 14:43:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If anyone is having problems that seem to be connected with Pescado's No Harrassment hack, I have one at simlogical that does something like that.  I doubt if it works in the same way, but it does free the parents up a bit.

Having said that, I have often had glitchy babies and toddlers without either of those hacks in the game.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 October 06, 15:02:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you have Nightlife, I wonder if the new cheat "agesimscheat on" would work on that baby so you could make it a toddler right away.

You could also try like suggested the moveobjects on cheat.  If it does not work an eventual move in a new house could be considered but I wonder if the baby do not reappear next to the mailbox after using moveobjects cheat if it will not make the baby completely disappear from the game.
Vesca
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 October 07, 07:09:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If anyone is having problems that seem to be connected with Pescado's No Harrassment hack, I have one at simlogical that does something like that.  I doubt if it works in the same way, but it does free the parents up a bit.

Having said that, I have often had glitchy babies and toddlers without either of those hacks in the game.

I am currently using the nobabyharassment hack and am not having any problems with it, other than a few missing interactions with the toddlers (can't talk to them; in order to pick them up from the floor, you have to do something like change their clothes or give a kiss - you can't just select "hold toddler"), but everything works normal with the babies.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 October 07, 07:21:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Babies will sometimes refuse to age for no particularly sensible reason. Generally, forcing the baby to error, then using the baby controller's "Grow Up Baby" in applicable babies should do the job.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
aeslis
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 October 07, 07:30:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hello guys Smiley

Well i did try to force error, and that didn't work.  Deleting and re-entering didn't work either.  What DID work was removing the hacks from the downloads folder.  Though I'm not sure which hack did it, I'd guess it's nobabyharassment.

Anyway, I'm likely going to replace the hacks tomorrow.  I'm so happy the poor boy grew up, though, man!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Smiley  I gotta say, honestly, this forum is very awesome (more awesome than me indeed!) and I love that the people are generally helpful and friendly.  You all rock Kiss
Zyrcona
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 October 08, 12:40:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

all that's needed to make that effect more obvious would be to have the sim take out a stick and poke the baby on the floor before running out of the room like a nut.

LOL. I agree that it's probably because the baby is asleep on the floor, but there's an easier way than forcing errors/ using radios. Just use move_objects on to manually dump the baby in the crib. Adults will then be able to retrieve it. I think the fact that it worked after quitting/ hack removal is just coincidence that it happenned to wake up. The grow up baby interaction is knackered anyway; you have to use cake and that doesn't work if the baby is unconscious on the floor either.
C.S.
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 October 10, 12:40:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just use move_objects on to manually dump the baby in the crib. Adults will then be able to retrieve it.

You've tried this yourself? I'm not 100% positive and it was a long time ago so I can't say for sure it was sleeping babies but I remember I've grabbed babies with moveobjects to put them back in their crib and they 'froze', nobody could interact with them until I deleted them and they respawned at the mailbox and went back to normal. None of my sims would be having babies anytime soon as I'm waiting to get Nightlife (after the patches are released) and intergrating them into the new EP, so I can't try out your method.
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 October 11, 15:23:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, I'm having a similar problem in Strangetown. Johnny and Opheilia were expecting a baby, everything was going fine until she gave birth. The cinematic (sp) started when she went into labor, then suddenly she "jumped" ( I don't know where she went, all I could see in the movie was the smaller plumbob of the baby and then the baby kind of floating in the air) after the cinematic ended, Opheilia went into the living room and started watching tv. I thought she looked like she was still doing the pregnancy waddle thing even though she was wearing her pre-pregnancy clothing. The baby was just laying on the floor in the bedroom where she went into labor and no one could interact with it. The name baby box never did come up and build/buy modes were greyed out, so I couldn't use moveobjects_on to move the baby or delete it. Stupid me, I SAVED and exited. When I went back in, same thing, build/buy modes greyed out and still can't interact with the baby. So I exited again, moved the family out of the house (by the way this is the original Spectre lot) then moved them back in. Now Opehila is in her maternity clothes,looking VERY pregnant holding the baby she just had and still no options to buy/build.
I moved them out again and into a new house. Buidl/buy modes are enabled but Opheila is still showing up pregnant, she's lost one of her want slots and Johnny has lost 2 of his. ( I had upgraded them using JM's lots debugger previously.) I have Uni and NL, I don't have the nobabyharrassment hack installed (although it's been driving me crazy not to have it) and I'm at a loss on how to fix this. Any ideas on how to make it so Opheila is not pregnant would be greatly appreciated Huh

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
Meek_Monkey
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 October 11, 16:05:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Take the no baby harsement out of the game as it wont let u pick up the baby and you could also try JM expermental birth fix.
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 October 11, 16:10:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Take the no baby harsement out of the game as it wont let u pick up the baby and you could also try JM expermental birth fix.

Please see at the end of my post that I don't have the nobabyharrassment hack installed.

Meek_Monkey
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 October 11, 16:43:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

sorry I though you had it in try the other expermental bad birth fix for next time it is on this site

Zyrcona
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 October 12, 13:54:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have Uni and NL, I don't have the nobabyharrassment hack installed (although it's been driving me crazy not to have it) and I'm at a loss on how to fix this. Any ideas on how to make it so Opheila is not pregnant would be greatly appreciated Huh

OK, I've never seen this before. I currently have neither of the expansion packs installed so it may be a bug introduced in one of them. To see if it's a hack, turn the hacks off temporarily (or move them somewhere else) and load the house. You may be able to fix the family using SimPE. Try finding the baby's sim description and giving it a name and unchecking 'is pregnant' on Ophelia's. If this doesn't work, you might have to delete the baby. Also, I believe there are some hacks around that reenable build/buy that you could try.
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 October 12, 16:13:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

After moving the entire family in and out of the original Specter house, then to another house, moving them in and out of that house, deleting the baby and Ophelia many times with no luck, Ophelia still showed up in maternity clothes, very pregnant.  I ended up downloading the Insiminator and the Inteenimator, I then selected Ophelia and "make me pregnant with" Johnny, after the lullaby played, I clicked on "end pregnancy". It seems to have worked. *crosses fingers*
I know I can rename the baby with Merola's painting and several other ways but I kind of like the name "Baby Girl Nigmos".  Grin

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 October 12, 16:31:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Inteen has a lot of issues with other hacks. These are the hacks I like to use that the latest (13c) Inteen conflicts with:

CBoy's nudist hack and "Normal Clothes" hack
clothingtool-globals
runtoclass
noagediscrimination
twojeff's "Formal Wedding" hack

Whether these conflicts cause problems, I can't be sure, but they do attempt to mod the same things.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: