More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 08, 20:52:24

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Would you download a hack from a modder who says stuff like this?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Would you download a hack from a modder who says stuff like this?  (Read 22124 times)
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
Would you download a hack from a modder who says stuff like this?
« on: 2006 April 03, 10:50:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It has always been said that testers should provide feedback to creators of hacks. I am just wondering if you would download a hack from a modder who said something like this. This is from http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?c=1&p=1137334#post1137334

But I pasted the relevant parts here:

User:
Hi, I download this the other day and promptly tested it. Was having my YA make over his dormies when the game suddenly crashed on me. I never have a crash when playing sims before. It was in the middle of applying make up on the dormie or changing clothes for the townie when it happen.

I am not sure why the game crashed but after I took out this hack, everything was fine once again.

Creator of mod:
That's called coincidence.

Interestingly, s/he has two 'helpers' out at that thread helping people with their various queries. So far, this is the only reply s/he made in that thread to a user's 'feedback' (as far as I can tell from those 7 pages of replies so far) and this is the only negative feedback on her thread so far.

I just want to know what everyone's opinion on this is.

Go Away
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
Re: Would you download a hack from a modder who says stuff like this?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 April 03, 10:52:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's pretty rude. I would take the hack out, and never download anything by that creator again! Cheesy

Skadi
Mushroom Girl
Senator

Spiderkiller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006 April 03, 11:02:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would say that paricular modder has gotten very arrogant, and I would be inclined to stay the heck away from his stuff incase in created a BFBVFS.
Total disrespect to the community.

Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2006 April 03, 11:15:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As Pescado would say, stay away from the non-awesome hacks Grin

laeshanin
FURRY!
Malodorous Moron

Fook me, it took long enough to get a title!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 April 03, 11:24:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

She was really sniffy about the comment, wasn't she? Someone I shan't be looking for when I visit MTS2, and as always I will stay away from the non-awesome stuff.

Meh...
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 April 03, 11:51:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've noticed that ChristianLov has a bit of a personal relations problem. Rather ironic considering the username...

Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 April 03, 12:19:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ya'll are kidding, right? Sure, the comment is kinda snotty, but, while I'm not using that particular hack, Christianlov made the autonomous woohoo bed, which I sure wouldn't give up because a modder got sick of silly comments from the many many users that haven't a clue how to playtest and blame hacks for everything from killing small animals to causing nuclear explosions.

I dunno what Pescado would say given a similar report. If he was feeling generous, he might explain that "my computer crashed" is totally useless as an error report. You have to isolate the cause (and with a game as complicated as this, all the many mods in the world, and on a computer of who knows what specs, that's hard) and then be able to repeat the error (assuming there is one) to do anything about it at all. He might ask for testing and computer specs (most likely cause of crashes) and when and how the crash happened and debug reports. But Pescado generous? Well, he might have got snarky too - he does that sometimes. More likely he'd point and laugh.

Yesterday I spent most of the day trying to track down what was going on with my game. I wanted to run a B&B so I had a podium so the chef could serve food and I was charging entry. Customers would buy a ticket, come in and decide the menu looked good - 2 sets of sales interactions but they'd do it. Then I discovered that (even when I set the tables up well, another problem they weren't getting seated properly) they'd order, the server would bring the food and they'd get up and leave - without eating. Very annoying, especially as you don't get paid 'til they eat.

Hm, I had some custom food in, maybe it was that. Took it out. Still not eating. I'd recently put in (again) CrammyBoy's eatmore/talkless mod. That seemed a likely culprit - maybe they were full. Pulled the mod, they still wouldn't eat. Pulled all hacks. Didn't work. No errors in debug mode. Forcing an error on the plate and deleting got rid of the food and the server could clean it up, but they still couldn't eat. Had my owner try to eat a plate sitting there. He wouldn't. Finally closed the business and while waiting for the cab, had him try to eat the same plate again and now he could.

How come he could eat when the business was closed but not before? Well because the ticket machine wasn't on and (duh me, didn't I read there were problems with the ticket machine) you can't do both on one lot :p. So now I know I can turn the machine off during "breakfast" or serve them at the tables and hike up the ticket cost (which works fine) and have a Sunday buffet where they serve themselves (also works fine). I musta restarted my game up to 10 times figuring it out tho. All because Maxis provides no manuals with their dang game - still imagine if I'd just blamed one of my mods and not tried to test it (in some circumstances it would be easy to get a "doesn't happen without the mod" answer even if the mod had nothing to do with it.

Point being, people are not always nice. I don't require modders to be "nice" - note, here I sit and Pescado's rep is anyting but.

Unsouper
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 April 03, 12:22:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ya'll are kidding, right? Sure, the comment is kinda snotty, but, while I'm not using that particular hack, Christianlov made the autonomous woohoo bed...

Er, that was LizzLove. Different person, afaik.

Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 April 03, 12:25:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

oops, sorry, well some other hack I have. Substitute something that makes sense :)

Unsouper
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 April 03, 12:46:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you for the link - it looks very handy, especially in planning outfits, when you are forced to open and close the dresser hundreds of times. Downloaded  Cheesy Cheesy

The coincidence is, that another modder thought of a similar hack - nothing wrong with it; JMP and TJ have both college adjuster, which work side by side...Smiley.

If you like it - download it, and test it. I am sure that the modder will listen to all your complaints...Smiley.

pearlbh
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 April 03, 12:52:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think you have to consider that Christianluv speaks English as a second language, he's made some fabulous mods (including the All-in-One NPC), and I really don't think it's fair to judge a modder based on one, one-line comment in a thread.  And as rudeness goes, you could get A LOT more rude than "That's called coincidence."  Again, this is not a native English speaker, so consider that.  Christianluv has worked his tail off on the All-in-One NPC and he's been nothing but helpful and considerate in all his posts.  He constantly apologizes for English not being his native language (though actually his English is pretty good), so I REALLY don't think he meant a bit of harm by "That's called coincidence", he probably doesn't perceive that as sarcasm the way we do.  Or if he does, maybe he was just having a bad day.  Believe me if we're judging modders on attitude, Christianluv is at the top.  I could name a handful of others who are at the bottom, but I won't.    Roll Eyes

Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 April 03, 13:31:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm a bit biased against him/her because of how s/he's acted here. The attitude was a little above what can be excused by not speaking English natively (said by someone surrounded by non-native English speakers).

The snippiness of the reply wasn't that bad, quite right, but it was amazingly unuseful - telling someone their problem is coincidence, full stop, does not further a dialogue. Pescado is an asshole but he's an asshole who will further a dialogue - if it had been him, I could see him telling that person it was probably coincidence and they'd have to do X, Y, or Z to get any solid data.

I don't use his/her hacks but it's less because of attitude and more because the documentation for his/her hacks, when it exists, is labyrinthine. Don't have the patience... Wink

nikita
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 April 03, 13:32:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I laughed at this when I read it (but then again, I have a mean sense of humor).  Classic example of bad customer service. 

Sorry, non-native speakers get a lot of slack but that "answer" to the question is flippant in any language.  A simple "my hack isn't the cause of your problems" would have sufficed.  Unless he's Finnish, then I guess I can cut him some slack. 

I remember downloading that hack but I took it out because I never used it and so never saw the point.  Glad it didn't coincidentally crash my game and I didn't have to go back on the thread to report it. 
sintrinity
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 April 03, 13:41:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only thing I look at is the modder's track record with putting out things that work (for me).  Some of the best are not people persons  Wink

Usually I don't even post when I have problems with a mod unless I think the creater would appreciate feedback on my testing.  Mostly because I run with so many hacks that it is hard to tell if it is just a conflict or an actual problem.  I figure I get them for free and if it doesn't work it is simply a matter of taking it out.

Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 April 03, 13:52:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unless he's Finnish, then I guess I can cut him some slack. 

*L* What would being Finnish have to do with anything?

nikita
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 April 03, 14:00:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I find, from my own experiences with Finns, (<==disclaimer so as not to piss off any Finnish people) that they come off as a very cold people in demeanor even though they may not be so.  It's the lack of sun.  Scandinavia has high levels of depression. 
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006 April 03, 14:01:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How is that rude? He's probably right.
An error like this cannot be caused by this particular mod.

It's not as if he attacked the other person.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 April 03, 14:06:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I find, from my own experiences with Finns, (<==disclaimer so as not to piss off any Finnish people) that they come off as a very cold people in demeanor even though they may not be so.  It's the lack of sun.  Scandinavia has high levels of depression. 

Yeah, in winter they tend to be very quiet, but during the summer everyone is very lively! As far as I can tell (I've lived in Finland for the past year) they tend to be more introverted and keeping to themselves than cold, and seem a bit uncertain of how to react to new people until they are very used to them. It suits me well here because I am just like that already.  Grin

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2006 April 03, 14:07:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eeew. Sun.

* J. M. Pescado hiss at sun.

IT BURNS! Why would you be DEPRESSED by the lack of SUN? Sun is BAD!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 April 03, 15:37:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Eeew. Sun.

* J. M. Pescado hiss at sun.

IT BURNS! Why would you be DEPRESSED by the lack of SUN? Sun is BAD!

*The Words of the Vampire*...Smiley
Database
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006 April 03, 15:50:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, I hate the sun too Tongue
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006 April 03, 16:11:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes! I would download it, as long as it works as advertised.
 Who cares if the modder is not all sweetness and light. Can't say as I blame them sometimes either, they put in some work on these things, offer them for free, and then have to listen to half assed remarks from people who don't always know what they are talking about. A generic "you made my game crash" is not constructive criticism and is not going to be helpful to the modder in identifying problems. The first post at the top of the page by Qwiggwag is much more to the point and might actually be useful if the modder were inclined to tweak things.
Also I have been using the older version of this for ages and I love it, it has never caused problems in my game.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2006 April 03, 18:23:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe Christianlov knows his hack cannot cause this particular problem and it therefore replying perfectly accurately.  A few more words might have made it sound more friendly, but I think it is somewhat overreacting to say you'd never touch any of his work.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 April 03, 18:39:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

i quite like christianlov and have quite a few of his hacks in my game which have never caused a promblem , so quite frankly who cares if hes rude somtimes , and ive seen modders be an awful lot meaner to people who say stuff like "you made my game crash" but i suppose thats how some people see it ., game was working i then installed x hack and now it isent. 
shezoe
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 2006 April 03, 18:42:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

just a note on the mod/modder in question-i've got this clothing rack on every single one of my lots, n have had-thru university and nightlife and now ofb. i don't know what i'd do without it! it's an "awesome" hack in my opinion  Smiley

"I had always felt life first a story: and if there is a story there is a story-teller."
~G.K. Chesterton~
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: