More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 04, 09:02:18

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540271 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Does anyone ever feel this way about some of the in-game faces?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Does anyone ever feel this way about some of the in-game faces?  (Read 20485 times)
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
Does anyone ever feel this way about some of the in-game faces?
« on: 2005 October 10, 20:47:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really get aggravated at myself for feeling like this, but there are a few in-game faces that I just absolutely cannot stand!  They're the kind of faces I'd just as soon slap as look at, and when sims like Townies or service workers get generated with these faces I delete them post-haste in SimPE or at times will even kill them.  Now if anyone knows me they know this is a stretch, because I honestly have the worst time bringing myself to kill sims by any other means than letting them die of old age.

I've never been a person to judge others on their looks and honestly have had some of what people would consider the ugliest people in the world as best friends and I think this is why it bugs me so much.

Anyway, these pet peeve faces of mine (and I'm sure someone out there thinks they're absolutely adorable and I think that's great!) are the faces used on the default Townies Kennedy Cox and Benjamin Long (just can't stand that ski jump nose and bizarre forehead combo), and then there's an African-looking face that usually ends up generating on repairmen, and although this isn't the most attractive face when they're in the adult stage, it's horrid on elders.

So, am I the only one like this?  Egads, I hope not--well, it would be better if I was! LOL

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Does anyone ever feel this way about some of the in-game faces?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 October 10, 20:50:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're not the only one. These horrid faces are the CAS archetypes, which are unfortunately used for townies (there's little to no variation from it).

The "repairman's Dubya" face is certainly the most horrible one.
KookieDoe
Exasperating Eyesore

So Long and Goodnight

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2005 October 10, 20:50:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley Smiley yeah i hate the faces.  Like goopy's or The girls that look like men.  Tongue Grin

"So long, and good night"

MATY buddies: Jarsie and Bondage :-)
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 October 10, 20:58:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Almost all those templates are fugly and drive me INSANE!! Even the ones that are tolerable tend to be too quepie doll eyed animeized and still need a bit of work. I am constantly giving townies and npcs surgery, makeovers and new outfits. I've rescued some real ugly mugs too that even a gorilla mother couldn't love. I just wish the surgery machine had all the options that the bodyshop does and not just the CAS ones. :p

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005 October 10, 21:20:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL!  I actually think Goopy's kind of cute!  His name is what got me! LOL  In one neighborhood he ended up dying a firey death.  That ornery Joe Carr (good looking as he is!) also met with a similar fate after knocking over my sims' trashcan for the umpteenth time.  After that I learned the deleteallcharacters code. Wink

Motoki, here's a question for you.  I don't have Uni, so don't have the plastic surgery option.  I do, however, use SimPE and know how to replace faces in that.  I decided to do that kind of thing in one neighborhood and went through and changed everyone's skin color to match their features (as in no dark black Asians, etc.).  Then one of my sims married his maid who had been formerly black but now white to match her features--in fact, they were both white and when their first babies (twins) were born, one was black and one was white!  So, is there a way to change the faces on these sims so that the genetics will stick?

Egads!  The above sounded sort of racist!  Indeed, I didn't go around changing all my black sims to white.  I changed some black to white or lighter skin, changed some lights to darker skins, so on and so forth.  LOL

Oh, I've also been using Inge's teleporter-plus shrub and Merola's mind control mirror to change hair styles and such on service workers and game-generated Townies.  I've also used the teleporter-plus shrub to move in service workers, fix them up and turn them into Townies.  Now if I just had a way to fix some of their faces and make the genetics what they now look like I'd be set!

Oddysey
Nitwitted Nuisance

Robotic Baby Harp Seal!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 October 10, 21:24:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*cough* William Bennett, anyone?

The problem with the facial system is that faces that are really different from the standard are likely to look pretty bad, either because they're just scary looking (a la Goopy) or because they deform in bizarre ways (a la some of those exact celebrity replicas).
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 October 10, 21:26:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would certainly like to find a way to override those templates, 98% of my townie/npc population are Cro-Magnon and the other two percent are related to the wicked witch of the west.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 October 10, 21:32:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a tutorial to fix the genetics over at MTS2.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=56241

Thing is though, AFAIK it only applies to University and then only to facial structure because I believe prior to the expansions there was only one facial structure entry per sim. I'm not sure why the skintone change in SimPE is not sticking but I know I experienced some weirdness when I installed University and had several sims who had their skintones changed in SimPE revert to their original skin tones (and let me tell you, a bald headed human flesh toned woman with alien features is a scary thing lol).

Anyhow, I only fix the genetics on the facial structures in the DNA on sims I know I am going to breed because it's kind of a pain to do. I haven't really messed with changing skintones via SimPE much since the Uni weirdness. I wish there were some in game way to change them though, like a tanning booth or some bleaching creme lol.

nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 October 10, 21:37:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dont have a problem playing with the DNA strings, (if that is waht you mean, I cant look at MTS2 right now, something about it being a gaming site...) currently I cant get simsurgery to stick in Simpe no matter what I choose, eyes, looks whatever (QA build). But I really dont want a bunch of the same looking people either, I would just like to motify what ever ape like creature the game is using as an archtype, its hideous for them ALL to be like that. *sigh* I guess I already have a bunch of the same looks...oo oo ah ah ah!

Hmm...maybe I should just go with it and make some planet of the apes skins.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 October 10, 21:40:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well that tutorial in MTS2 is basically just to copy over a sim's current facial structure (after using the surgery machine) over to their original DNA facial structure. Otherwise if you don't they might look like a model now, but they'll pass the ugly DNA to the next generation. :O

Oh and anyone who figures out a way to modify those fugly Maxis face templates deserves a Nobel Prize in my book!  Grin

Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2005 October 10, 21:43:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Motoki, thanks for the reply!  That tutorial at MTS2 might work even with replaced heads.  The only problem I can see with the SimPE replacing heads on various sims is that then you end up with two identical sims running around your neighborhood.

And speaking of skin color type things I had a very bizarre thing happen with NL.  One of my sims had met a male DJ in Downtown and since she was a popularity sim I decided she'd best make friends with him.  Well, when he was Downtown he had nice red hair and that cool-looking sweatsuit they wear.  But when she invited him to her house, he was wearing a different sweatsuit, his hair was either black or brown, and his skin was totally messed up in that his face color was medium, like it should've been, but around his hair was light.  I even tried grabbing him with the mind control mirror to see if I could fix him up and nothing worked.  Oddly enough, his thumbnail looks like he should.  He's just really warped!  And to think I was planning on having a sim marry him someday!

Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 2005 October 10, 21:51:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm...maybe I should just go with it and make some planet of the apes skins.

ROFL!  Now one funny thing is, when I first got my game I thought the face used to make Remington London (the pizza dude) and Marissa Bendett (the Townie) were pretty awful.  I've learned to love those faces, though.  My current Legacy sim married his maid who used the same face as Marissa Bendett and they had the funniest looking son!  He has a very bizarre hook-shaped nose, sort of a depressed mouth, chin sticks out a bit too far.  But when you put the right hairstyle on him, a moustache or other facial hair he looks like he ought to be a swashbuckler!  His looks are definitely from a more erstwhile period!  Because of his oddities he has been chosen to carry on the Legacy while his much better looking brother has moved on and married his absolutely gorgeous high school sweetheart.  The Legacy heir (Burleigh is his name) married a downtown waitress named Allyn (I changed her name to Ally) who has the same face as the original Lucy Hanby maid.  They just had twins and it's going to be, ummm, interesting to see what they grow into.

Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 October 10, 22:08:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only problem I can see with the SimPE replacing heads on various sims is that then you end up with two identical sims running around your neighborhood.

Yes, this is kind of a problematic aspect of sim surgery, needing to make a dummy clone in the game to use to copy the look over from. Your options here are to delete the sim (which if you really want to do it properly can be a real pain) or try to give them some form of makeover to make them look different. I usually do the latter. I really wish SimPE had an option to do sim surgery from a bodyshop template package file or from other neighborhoods so we wouldn't have to make extra junk characters in our main neighborhood.

Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2005 October 10, 22:28:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I know what you mean.  There is a good rumor I read about a future edition of SimPE which could possibly allow us to delete the character file and all the attached stuff at the click of a button instead of going through the complicated process of doing that.  I'm not holding my breath but that would be awesome!

Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 October 11, 01:28:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've got both Kennedy Cox and Benjamin Long married to a couple of my Sims.  I never considered them unattractive.  As for Goopy, I cheated him into college to see if it would work (it didn't), and when I moved him back to the neighborhood I gave him the hair with the long pony tail and a little face stubble and he actually looks pretty good.

As for that "african-looking" face, I believe that's actually an Australian aborigine archetype.  I knew a guy in the Army who had that exact face.  A nice guy, but a little frightening. Smiley  I had a female with that face, and after considerable work with makeup and hairstyles I was able to look at her face in a menu without being startled every time.  She's still not beautiful, but she's pleasant enough.

I mentioned in another thread about my son playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.  Some of the characters wondering the streets of San Andreas make the ugliest Sims 2 townie imaginable look absolutely gorgeous.  And depending on where you live, a visit to the local Wal*Mart to look at the people should give you a new appreciation of our Sims 2 townies. Smiley

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

Now with new and improved avatar!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 October 11, 01:46:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is this one dormie in Academie Le Tour, brown hair, who is realllly ugly. I swear I can't even look at him. Wide mouth and lips. Really really ugly. That's a face not even a mother could love.
reggikko
Axe Murderer
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 October 11, 03:44:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*cough* William Bennett, anyone?

BAHAHAHAHAHA!
gillies
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 October 11, 05:48:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could make some sims in CAS in another neighborhood and extract the facial structure using SimPE as in the tutorial Motoki posted. This is a pretty time intensive way to do this but it will work if you have the patience.
Zyrcona
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 October 11, 12:17:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think all the base archetypes are ugly. The eyes are too far apart and all the women have enormous lips. I have annihilated the Townie menace using hacks. And as for the service NPCs, I suppose nannies and people who work tills in shops or kill vermin for a living are just genetically inferior proletarian labourers in the world of TS2, and the headmaster of the private school is understandably inbred.
linolino
Exasperating Eyesore

Linosim

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 October 11, 13:23:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like the Benjamin Long face. is he that blond succesfull executive? if he is, he is very good-looking.

I think the best way to have sims have the faces you want is to use a hack to stop townies generations, and then using that townie genertor object from MTS2 to turn any sim you want into townie. This way you can create sims exactly the way you want in CAS (or have the CAS create a ramdom sim for you, and if you don't like, you can reroll) and turn them into townies. However, i don't think that they will have ramdom skill points and carreer level this way.

However i don't think this object is NL compatible. it needs updating.
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 October 11, 14:06:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

hmmm interesting. About the facial structure data, so basically I can take any sim, copy the facial structure data and plunk into any other sim of my choice? I was under the assumption it had to be from the same sim. I havent ever played with they facial structure data, just the DNA strings.

Any one wanna start trading facial data? I can see where downloading a few sims off the net might be worth while now, I dont have to put them in game, I can just open their package, export the facial data, and save thier thumbnail image to a sim file folder. Then I can delete the sim. Much cleaner than having whole sims, I guess I could make them in bodyshop as well - do the same and then delete the sim afterwards....

I still want to hack that template sim though, because it seems as though I only have one, maybe two archetype template sims in my game and they are both very extreme.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2005 October 11, 14:31:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What I find puzzling is the fact that all the good-looking ones are hidden or unusable.  The Tricou family in NL, for instance, are all dead, and they are certainly better-looking than the average townie.  The llama mascot now married and in the neighbourhood in my game is absolutely GORGEOUS, but he still goes everywhere in his stupid costume so I have to boolProp him out of it whenever he appears so I can go all gooey over him.  I also have a cow mascot in the neighbourhood who's quite pretty, certainly more so than the majority of dormies and Uni NPC's.

The ones I dislike the most are those with the ridiculously wide mouths that stretch from ear-to-ear, especially when they have huge flappy lips as well.  I've never seen anyone in 'real life' like that and I don't expect to.  I don't usually bother changing their genetics, but if any of them turn-out to be 3LightningStrike material for one of my Sims, I probably will do.  I do change the hair colour and so on to match the genetics, though (or vice versa).  I think the reason they did this was to cause 'surprises' (like "How come my brown/black-haired Sim married Brandon Lillard/Kaylynn Langerak and they had a red-haired child?" ... Brandon and Kaylynn both being genetic redheads).

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 October 11, 14:51:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think all of the in-game faces look more or less ridiculous. They're too cartoony for me - I could live with the oversized eyes if they weren't so malproportioned overall! It's a shame Gigge's site is defunct now, she had a tutorial on it with an image that showed that the default faces are too long, the eyes are too big and too far apart, and a lot of the noses too narrow. I make my own sims with more realistic features now and they look a lot better, and I grab any NPC that bothers me and make them over as well. Eyes a click smaller, narrower, and closer together, face a click or two shorter, nose a click or two wider. I then alter things from there to get interesting variation, like small or long noses, wide or narrow mouths, rounder faces, etc. .  I tend to make them all good looking too, which isn't strictly realistic, but hey, at least I have a wide range of what I find attractive... Cheesy

lefty
Blathering Buffoon

Objecti- GAH!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2005 October 11, 15:21:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have absolutely no problem with the townies, except the ones that walk around looking like they have food stashed in thier cheeks. (chew damn you, chew! What do you mean thats natural? Egad!)

All the all, the other townies I think are all rather cute, but maybe I'm just warped. Goopy is adorable, even if his clothing... leaves something to be desired.

Gosh.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 October 11, 15:38:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IIt's a shame Gigge's site is defunct now, she had a tutorial on it with an image that showed that the default faces are too long, the eyes are too big and too far apart, and a lot of the noses too narrow. I make my own sims with more realistic features now and they look a lot better, and I grab any NPC that bothers me and make them over as well.

I think it was also Gigge's site that got me going on my kick to makeover all the townies. I miss her site. Sad After reading that tutorial, I realized even the faces I thought were the nicer looking ones were rather ill proportioned and ridiculous looking.

And I grab all the townies I see too and give them surgeries, makeovers and sometimes changes of clothes. The all end up looking a hell of a lot better, but I try not to make them all beautiful and make some regular looking ones. In general, I try to work with their existing facial structure and just make it look more realistically proportioned, but some of them are so outrageously proporitoned I pretty much have to start from scratch.
« Last Edit: 2005 October 11, 15:55:01 by Motoki » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: