More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 12, 08:39:15

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Game crashing when trying to change appearance through mirror
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Game crashing when trying to change appearance through mirror  (Read 10213 times)
Sorina
Asinine Airhead

YOU! Off my planet!

View Profile
Game crashing when trying to change appearance through mirror
« on: 2007 November 10, 13:35:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I just never seem to get the chance to play without crashes..  Cry

Okay, so my game is crashing whenever I try to change sim's appearance through mirror.
First it loads and loads forever, but then it crashes.

There's no specific reason in the error-box that appears on the screen, it just simply states that there's been an error and the program will shut down.

Could this all just be due to the amount of my appearance-related custom content or could it be something else? What are the odds?
Has anyone had the same problem and what did you do? Just started to eliminate files from the downloads-folder?

And finally, the last question;
IF the only solution to my problem is to reduce the file amount of make-up and hair etc., does anyone know a good technique to do that? I mean, of course we have Bodyshop, but it doesn't delete files from the game, and some items are not deletable in CAS, so... Awwww, my head is such a mess with this!

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Game crashing when trying to change appearance through mirror
« Reply #1 on: 2007 November 10, 14:03:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I seriously doubt you have "too much" custom content.  My guess is that you either have a corrupt mirror (not neccessarily the one you're using when the game crash) or some corrupt bodyshop content.
The best way of elimination is the 50-50 method.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 November 10, 17:06:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I once had this problem. It would occasionally crash in CAS and crash with mirrors and the clothes change tool. Turned out to be a piece of clothing that someone didn't make correctly. It was easy for me to find and discard because I always put new items in a test folder until I know my game is still working correctly with the new item in place.

If you don't have a neat folder system, you can tell your computer to sort the stuff by date. Then you only have to look at items that were downloaded after the problem started.

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
doren
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 November 10, 19:21:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had this problem recently and in my case it was due to some character files that I had extracted with SimPE/Sim Surgery and put into my downloads folder.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 November 10, 21:23:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had this problem recently and in my case it was due to some character files that I had extracted with SimPE/Sim Surgery and put into my downloads folder.

You must have done it wrong, or else the files corrupted somewhere.

I've had the same problem. Some shoddily made clothing file. Another time I had it I had been using the wardrobe wrangler and it had been some accessories I'd messed up somehow.

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
http://www.mediafire.com/?ng20de0zmly
Sorina
Asinine Airhead

YOU! Off my planet!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 November 10, 21:24:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you all for so many good advices!  Smiley

Well, I have subfolders in my downloads, but not that testing folder.
Gotta start using that too!

I sure hope that someone could scrape up a little program, which allows you to view bodyshop-content and delete the files you don't want to keep.
Because, whenever I would want to delete something, it's not deletable in CAS or I can't find it amongst all my files because almost all creators name their packages like "34346434djl688564fldf_eyes". Very descriptive naming, D'OH!

morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 November 10, 21:27:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I sure hope that someone could scrape up a little program, which allows you to view bodyshop-content and delete the files you don't want to keep.
Because, whenever I would want to delete something, it's not deletable in CAS or I can't find it amongst all my files because almost all creators name their packages like "34346434djl688564fldf_eyes". Very descriptive naming, D'OH!

Err. Clean installer? Body shop? Clean installer won't show them as 3-d items though, only the textures.
http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/

One day in college I was feeling very stupid. So I drove with Ben down to Maitland and toured EA Tiburon for an hour as an 'honorary intern'. I left feeling MUCH smarter. I recommend the experience to everyone.  -this is a quote from an Ex-boyfriend of mine..
Sorina
Asinine Airhead

YOU! Off my planet!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 November 10, 21:40:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bodyshop is quite decent, but it only deletes files from Bodyshop catalog, not from the entire game.
It really doesn't serve my needs.

I've tried Clean Installer too, but you can't delete all files by only looking their texture images - it's a bit tricky to guess what you're deleting when all you see is an image filled with grey color.  Wink For example some accessories have that kind of texture image.

morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 November 10, 21:51:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then I think body shop is your best bet. Delete all of the textures in body shop then use Delphy's download organizer to delete the orphaned files.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=227925

It's the only method I can think of. You are welcome to keep looking, if you find something better, I'd like to know.

Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 November 11, 00:16:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you're talking about cloning (extracting a sim from one 'hood using simsurgery and putting the clone back in game in a new 'hood), you should always re-clone in Bodyshop before loading into the neighbourhood.  SimPE clones are "heavy" and contain some garbage which can bork the character or the game.  Re-clone in Bodyshop and then delete the SimPE clone to be safe.

I'm not sure what the problem is with deleting from CAS.  I delete clothing from the game using CAS all the time and it appears to delete the file from the computer as well.  (This naturally begs the question of why I install the clothing in the first place if I don't actually want it.  I'll have to think about that.)

Tribulatio proxima est
doren
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 November 11, 09:02:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You must have done it wrong, or else the files corrupted somewhere.

Obviously, or it would not have crashed my game. The thing is, I don't keep the exclusive rights on my mistakes, they remain free for others to make.

(Jolrei: I believe that they contain some garbage too, but maybe it was simply not renaming them - as somebody suggested - that caused it.)

I do not understand what should be the difference between deleting them in CAS or Bodyshop. Both delete the files from the download folder - a rather simple action.

Sorina
Asinine Airhead

YOU! Off my planet!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 November 11, 11:40:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have always thought that BS only deletes files from the BS catalog, not from the game or downloads folder.
Or the other option is that my BS is not working correctly, because when I delete something using BS, those deleted items are still on the CAS-catalog and they are working correctly.

Weird, I say..

Sorina
Asinine Airhead

YOU! Off my planet!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 November 11, 13:49:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think we may have a winner!

I suspect that I have a corrupted file somewhere in my folders, because bodyshop crashes too.

notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2007 November 11, 22:49:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just an FYI: The Wardrobe Wrangler from DJSsims allows you to delete orphaned meshes and textures. I looked for a direct link, but apparently I am made of phail. Try going to djssims.com and viewing the Programs section, or do a search here -- there are numerous threads about the topic.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
squish
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2007 November 12, 00:25:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just an FYI: The Wardrobe Wrangler from DJSsims allows you to delete orphaned meshes and textures.

I found out yesterday that it doesn't always delete actual orphans. After removing "orphans" from my downloads folder, I had a bunch of missing meshes in game when I opened it up - which returned when I put the "orphans" back in with my downloads. All my content is arranged in sub folders (clothing, makeup, hair, etc. so I know it's not because of orphans being in the wrong folders).
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2007 November 12, 02:38:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm, that's too bad. I haven't actually loaded my game since quarantining the orphaned files that the Wrangler found. Are you sure the thumbnails weren't just missing? I always delete the CASThumbnails.package file when I remove a bunch of clothing, etc from my game. Otherwise, things get wonky.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 November 12, 03:33:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I heard somewhere that Delphi's download organizer did that, or at least had some other problem identifying orphan files.

squish
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2007 November 12, 03:44:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmmm, that's too bad. I haven't actually loaded my game since quarantining the orphaned files that the Wrangler found. Are you sure the thumbnails weren't just missing? I always delete the CASThumbnails.package file when I remove a bunch of clothing, etc from my game. Otherwise, things get wonky.

Yeah, I'm sure it wasn't just the thumbnails, as sims in my game had been wearing a few of the outfits at the time and weren't when I went to play until I put the "orphans" back.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 November 12, 04:17:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found out yesterday that it doesn't always delete actual orphans. After removing "orphans" from my downloads folder, I had a bunch of missing meshes in game when I opened it up - which returned when I put the "orphans" back in with my downloads. All my content is arranged in sub folders (clothing, makeup, hair, etc. so I know it's not because of orphans being in the wrong folders).

Did you RTFM?

Had you RTFM, you'd have know that it only detects orphans if the meshes and textures are in the same folder or a folder beneath it.
squish
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2007 November 12, 04:39:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And if you had read the post you quoted, I had said my content is split into sub-folders - clothing is one sub-folder.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 November 13, 23:42:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you read MY post?

Are the meshes above or in the same level as the texture?
morriganrant
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 November 13, 23:54:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think Lil'l brudder is asking are the meshes and the textures in the same subfolder. I have Hair as a sub folder but in there is a sub-sub folder for each extracted rar.  I know that a lot of times the mesh and the texture are not part of the same download. You may get something from mts2 but the mesh came from elsewhere, or you download a bunch of free textures at tsr but the mesh was not made by the same person. When extracting with winrar to their own subfolders that means that the mesh and textures will end up separate. Or did you mean that all the clothing is loose in one clothing sub-folder inside the downloads folder with no other sub sub folders inside it?

squish
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: 2007 November 13, 23:58:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you read MY post?

Are the meshes above or in the same level as the texture?
Yes I did read your post, you obviously didn't read my second though: "clothing is in one sub-folder.". To break it down even more for you: all my clothing items, whether recolours and meshes etc, are in ONE folder called "clothing".

ETA:
Or did you mean that all the clothing is loose in one clothing sub-folder inside the downloads folder with no other sub sub folders inside it?
Yep. I figured that "one sub-folder" meant ONE sub-folder. Never realised "one" could mean more! If I had had them in other folders, I would have said. Not everyone is a fucking idiot  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 2007 November 14, 00:06:16 by squish » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: