More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 04, 10:42:17

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540271 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  "Watch Out!" Stupid Driveway...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: "Watch Out!" Stupid Driveway...  (Read 13191 times)
MistressBoleyn
Asinine Airhead

la reine sans tete

View Profile
"Watch Out!" Stupid Driveway...
« on: 2005 September 19, 04:59:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm finding this about as frustrating as the phone ringing constantly!

I can no longer queue up actions for my sim to do when they arrive home, because they drop out of queue and a stupid icon with the driveway and "Watch Out!" pops up.  The sim doesn't do anything... just stands there by the car.  Exactly WHAT are they supposed to watch out for??  They're the one who pulled into the darn drive in the first place.  Am I missing an animation or something here?

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
Re: "Watch Out!" Stupid Driveway...
« Reply #1 on: 2005 September 19, 05:09:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I get that all the time, usually just as they're walking around the car to get into the house - as if they're afraid that somebody else has jumped into the car and is about to run them over.

<insert witty comment here>
gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 September 19, 05:18:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's too bad the "watch out!" interaction doesn't happen with walk-bys. My Sim hopped into his truck and sat there for almost a Sim hour waiting for the Matchmaker to move her butt out of the driveway so he could pull out.

Opera loving chickens. Can't eat them. Can't vote for them. Can't wear them as a hat.
Zeljka
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 September 19, 05:20:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What? They gave us cars but not the ability to run people over in them?

Remember first that the greatest inequality is to treat unequal things equally
gynarchy
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 September 19, 05:27:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It really is a shame, isn't it? No option to lean out the window and curse or flip off anyone, either.

Opera loving chickens. Can't eat them. Can't vote for them. Can't wear them as a hat.
buddha pest
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 September 19, 05:35:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I enjoy any action that includes an exclamation point.

See Vermin!
Social Bunny!
Repo Man!

and now, Watch Out!

I like them even better when they are stupid and make no sense.

I was wondering what that driveway icon was. I'd never been fast enough to hover over it.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 September 19, 05:56:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bah. If it were up to me, there'd be the uncancellable interaction called "Road Waffle!", and a new ghost look to go with it.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 September 19, 06:13:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

JMP, you should be in a hurry - Two Jeffs updated 3/4 of his hacks and fixes for NL.
Merola and Carrigon, and Inge too.

Why it will take 6-8 weeks to get the game? I got my game from USA through UPS in 3 days (they sent it on 13Th, and I got it on 16th September).

And you LIVE in USA!

...And I am waiting only for your hacks and fixes...Gee, you depress me...Sad.
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 September 19, 07:38:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Bah. If it were up to me, there'd be the uncancellable interaction called "Road Waffle!", and a new ghost look to go with it.

The ghost should be flat with a black tire mark running bottom to top. Smiley

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 September 20, 19:40:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Awesome.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 September 20, 19:49:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The ghost should be flat with a black tire mark running bottom to top. Smiley

Hook

I am having visions of that one ghost in "Beetlejuice." lol

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
Star
« Reply #11 on: 2005 September 20, 20:03:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The "Watch Out" option would make more sense if they were trying to get out of the garage before the door closed on them. I tried to see what exactly they were watching out for, since the car was parked and obviously not going anywhere, but the door remains up. I would love the whole Indiana Jones thing where they would have to roll under the door before it crushes them in two.  Grin
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 September 20, 21:08:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can see a couple of reasons for the "watch out", first its to keep all sims off the driveway so they dont idle around, because a car coming home would not be able to enter the driveway if the sims were idling about. This would require new checks and animations to account for the possibility of someone blocking the driveway, or in the instance of another car blocking the driveway they would always just appear in the garage, that would be kind of tacky if that always happened. It would have been cool if the car could have stopped waited and honked its horn to get people out of the driveway, but which would then either require yet another set of new animations of micromanagement on the players part to move the idling sims out of the way, and keep them out of the way. It wouldnt be very realistic for the car to just park on top of them and I dont think EA is ready to make tragic car accidents a part of game play. Children being in the driveway would be a ramification that would have to be checked and balanced, way too much work, its simply easier in the long run to make the driveway off limits for idling sims. I think it would be better as a silent action, without a qued icon, but perhaps its there because people will wonder why they keep point their sim to the driveway and the sim wont stay there...
MistressBoleyn
Asinine Airhead

la reine sans tete

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 September 20, 21:19:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Those are both really valid reasons, Nectare, but the 'Watch Out!' is happening after the sim arrives home and gets out of the car.. 
Sim arrives home.
Sim parks car.
Sim sets car alarm.
Sim begins to walk into the house.
'Watch Out!' thumbnail appears.
Sim stops walking and actions drop out of queue.

It does it with a garage or only a driveway (on a couple of my existing lots there's just not enough room to build a garage).  I'd just love to know what it is they're supposed to 'watch out' for. 

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
nectere
Heretic
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 September 20, 21:26:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I meant that its because the sim is on the driveway.

So when a sims gets out of his/her car, they are on the driveway, thus triggering the routine to kick them off the driveway. It looks like a general rule, doesnt matter how you ended up on the driveway, the fact that the sim is there triggers the rule/routine.

My sims do drop actions qued after the "watch out" routine, but I havent had anyone stop on the driveway as a result of trying to que actions up upon arriving home. They do however stop once they are off the driveway (or the area deemed as a driveway by the game) though because they have no immediate actions qued up yet (as the ones I had qued have dropped).
« Last Edit: 2005 September 20, 21:32:42 by nectere » Logged
MistressBoleyn
Asinine Airhead

la reine sans tete

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 September 20, 21:32:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, I see what you mean.  It would make more sense for the action to pop up and override everything if someone was actually in the vehicle (a valid reason to watch out, I would think).  I fail to see why one would need to watch out for a vehicle sitting in a driveway with no one in it... unless the previous driver had neglected to set the parking brake.  All I know is it is damned inconvenient! Angry

- Frank Lloyd Wright
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 September 20, 22:14:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sim begins to walk into the house.
'Watch Out!' thumbnail appears.
Sim stops walking and actions drop out of queue.

I've seen that, I didn't know what it was.

Clearly our Sims are afraid of pulling a Twit of the Year.

...and Oliver has run himself over.

http://www.jumpstation.ca/recroom/comedy/python/twit.html

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
crammyboy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 September 21, 01:33:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is supposed to get sims off the driveway where the car parks. It's just over zealous and thinks the sim driving the car is in the way of the car after getting out.
crammyboy
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 September 21, 02:34:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fixed it http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?p=758810 (I Think)
nothingbutsims
« Reply #19 on: 2005 September 21, 02:45:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Crammyboy - I was darned sick of that myself.
nothingbutsims
« Reply #20 on: 2005 September 21, 02:48:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

JMP, you should be in a hurry - Two Jeffs updated 3/4 of his hacks and fixes for NL.
Merola and Carrigon, and Inge too.

Why it will take 6-8 weeks to get the game? I got my game from USA through UPS in 3 days (they sent it on 13Th, and I got it on 16th September).

And you LIVE in USA!

...And I am waiting only for your hacks and fixes...Gee, you depress me...Sad.

It's too bad we can't stick one of those flame pots under his behind.  I would think we would see some action then.
radiophonic
Lipless Loser

Quirky Liberal Alpha Male

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 September 21, 03:57:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Stop it, you're making me hungry.

Instant gratification takes too long.
speedreader
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 September 21, 11:42:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maybe when the inevitable EP with pets comes out we can add "Roadkill Stew" to our Sims dinner menu?
Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 September 21, 12:57:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, I see what you mean.  It would make more sense for the action to pop up and override everything if someone was actually in the vehicle (a valid reason to watch out, I would think).  I fail to see why one would need to watch out for a vehicle sitting in a driveway with no one in it... unless the previous driver had neglected to set the parking brake.  All I know is it is damned inconvenient! Angry

And since you cannot place a driveway on anything but a completely flat piece of ground, there would never be a need for a parking brake anyway.....
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 September 21, 15:13:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've seen the Watch Out action a few times now.  It usually happens when your Sim has to walk behind the car after getting out of it.  It has happened once when my Sim was leaving and another Sim walked past the dorm (more on the dorm later). 

I suspect the Watch Out could be triggered because the car alarm went off.  Even if you don't have a car alarm.  Just because no one's ever heard the car alarm go off doesn't mean there isn't one going off;  there are a lot of sound issues in Nightlife.

Now, the car at the dorm.  My Sim created as a young adult in CAS with Pleasure aspiration rolled up a want to buy a car.  While living in a dorm.  There's no way to buy a car for her without the dormspecifctoolsenabled cheat to place a driveway first.  Since I was having the devil's own time keeping her in gold, I really needed those 1500 aspiration points.  So.... I used the cheat.  Sorry Maxis, you shouldn't have to use a cheat to fulfill a want.

The dorm was Deardorff Dorm at Sim State, so I had room to place a driveway on the right side of the lot after removing the stupid tree that blocks your view of most of the dorm.  The driveway itself was near the center of the lot, and was placed as far to the right as possible.

I had an odd bug with a group invited to a community lot.  I forgot to end the group before my Sim left for home in my car, and two of the group were still on the community lot.  They both got in the car with my Sim.  When I arrived at the dorm, I got a message that my dorm was already full and some Sims would move out to make room for the new Sims.  Two Sims moved out.  The two groupies immediately left and I had two empty rooms, which were soon taken by the Sims who had just moved out of the rooms and had also left the lot but returned.

It may be a bad idea to remove the Watch Out action or alter its behavior.  What if someone starts playing kicky bag behind the car between the time you get in and the time the car leaves?  How do you get the idiots Sims behind the car to move?

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: