More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 09, 15:45:30

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Celebrations confusion
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Celebrations confusion  (Read 13336 times)
phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
Re: Celebrations confusion
« Reply #25 on: 2007 April 05, 11:01:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought it was rather silly/strange that it put a Celebrations shortcut on my desktop, but then told me I was running the wrong version of the game when I tried to use that shortcut (it told me to run Seasons).

Following the story with interest ....

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 April 05, 17:51:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just came across this info at the official bbs...

From the Celebrations Stuff manual, page 3.
'Playing the Game
Note: If you have installed The Sims 2 Pets or an expansion pack (EP) released after that, you will want to use the shortcut and disc related to that EP. If you try to launch The Sims Celebration Stuff shopping pack (SP) using the shortcuts created by the installer and you have The Sims 2 Pets or a more recent EP installed, a prompt will appear asking you to start the game using the most recently installed EP instead.'

phyllis_p
Stupid Schlemiel

ISFJ - a tasty phyllis snack?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2007 April 05, 18:28:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just came across this info at the official bbs...

From the Celebrations Stuff manual, page 3.
'Playing the Game
Note: If you have installed The Sims 2 Pets or an expansion pack (EP) released after that, you will want to use the shortcut and disc related to that EP. If you try to launch The Sims Celebration Stuff shopping pack (SP) using the shortcuts created by the installer and you have The Sims 2 Pets or a more recent EP installed, a prompt will appear asking you to start the game using the most recently installed EP instead.'

Interesting.  Thank you :-)  I alwasy used to look over the manual to new expansions, but since I bought my Celebrations by digital download, I don't have the physical manual (though I do have the option to download a copy ... which I didn't .... guess they have some good stuff in there sometimes ....)

Vita brevis, Ars longa.                

"And so goest thy butthurt n00bs whosoever cannot have accolades and benes heaped upon them, as in the manner of vomit from a sorority girl, to which they are accustomed." lemmiwinks 1:1
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 April 07, 20:16:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Over at the QA thread at the SimPe forum, Carrigon and Numenor have posted this about the Celebrations Stuff Pack...

Carrigon...

"Just to chime in on the Celeb Pack, the new objects are in a package located here:
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Celebration! Stuff\TSData\Res\StuffPack\Objects
It's called SPObjects.package  If you don't point SimPe to it, the new objects won't load in OW."

Numenor...

"Yes, at first I was confused by the fact that the Celebration folder *does* contain a standard TSData\Res\Objects\objects.package, but it is basically a copy of the latest objects package found in the system (excluding Pets and Seasons); I have all the EPs and SPs, and therefore that "fake" celebration objects.package is basically identical to the Glamour one (tested with HackDiff).

As for running the game, the Celebration pack doesn't count as an EP or SP; sure it comes with an exe of its own, but it is actually run only if neither Pets nor Seasons are installed; if Pets or Seasons are found, they "take the precedence", and the user is asked to run those games, instead of Celebration (putting in the CD drive the Pets/Seasons disc).

During installation, the Celebration installer updated the PETS objects.package, applying the first patch, released back in January (that in turn contains the patch to the BodyShop, released a bit earlier).

No modifications are applied to the Seasons objects.package (because the patch for Seasons, as well as the second patch for Pets, has been released after issuing Celebration).

As for SimPE, therefore, we have a situation that is similar to the two Christmas packs (2005 and 2006 versions): the objects are in a separate package that must be loaded separately; with the difference that the two Xmas packs simlìply installed an additional package into {BaseGame}\TSData\Res\Catalog\Bins, while Celebration installs its add-on package into a folder of its own (as reported by Carrigon).

Maxis really likes messing up things!  Don't they know the meaning of the word "consistency"?"

The way I understand all this is...  If you don't have Pets or Seasons installed, Celebrations runs like FFS/GLS and uses it's own exe/folder/cd to run.  If you have Pets or Seasons installed,  Celebrations runs like the Holiday Stuff pack. Its a single spobjects.package that Pets or Seasons reads in addition to it's own objects.package.

Edit:  Just a small correction.  If you are running Pets with no patches, then Celebrations will take priority and run with it's exe/folder/cd.  If you patch Pets with the newest patch, then Pets takes priority and Celebrations runs like the holiday pack and uses the single spobjects.package in addidion to it's own objects.package.
« Last Edit: 2007 April 07, 21:05:45 by Kralore » Logged
kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 April 07, 23:16:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sounds like a more intelligent way to do SPs: since they don't change anything about the way the game works, just add an extra objects.package with the additional objects.

Or one better: have it install to My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Downloads/Celebration Stuff  Grin

INFP or something
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2007 April 08, 05:18:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So for us modders CSP is basically another HHSP, only the new crap is less conveniently located.

syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 2007 April 09, 19:59:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are there actually any "game engine" changes? i.e. any additional or "new" interactions or NPCs (like the HHSP)?

Or is it just crapstuff, like the other SPs (FFS, GLS)?

If it is just stuff... then would you only need that SPobject.package to effectively have all the things in CSP?

And if so... can you just dump that file in the Downloads folder?  I mean, if they're just objects, then theoretically you should be able to do just that, no?

Ste

Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2007 April 09, 20:14:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know what you mean, Ste. I'd like SOME of the new objects, but I'll be darned if I'm buying a buggy $20 stuff pack. It's not worth it.

I'd still like one or two Family Fun objects, like the swirly chair, but not enough to rip my hair out when it inevitably farks up my game.

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: