More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 20:55:38

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Sims 2 and a laptop with a Geforce Go 7300.......?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Sims 2 and a laptop with a Geforce Go 7300.......?  (Read 7987 times)
Braveheart
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Sims 2 and a laptop with a Geforce Go 7300.......?
« on: 2006 December 24, 10:41:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have been looking at a laptop recently and hope to play Sims 2 with all EPs on it. Tell me what you guys think of the specs. My biggest concern is the Geforce card, is it good enough for TS2? Thanks

Acer Aspire 5630
Intel Centrino Core Duo 1.66 GHZ
120 GB Hard Drive
2 GB of dual-channel DDR2 RAM
NVIDIAŽ GeForce Go 7300 256 MB
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
Re: Sims 2 and a laptop with a Geforce Go 7300.......?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 December 24, 10:52:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dunno about the rest of it, but that card isn't bad, it's better than mine and I get high settings on everything.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 December 24, 11:56:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sims doesn't need the current cutting edge technology anymore.  Smiley It's a good processor, enough RAM, and a really decent card. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to run TS2.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 December 24, 12:05:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your computer should be within spec to run the game, provided you have less than 1 GB of downloads.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Elven Ranger
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 December 24, 13:22:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

how do you figure that JM?

WARNING:<br />I have dyslexia, so please excuse my crappy spelling & punctuation Smiley
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 December 24, 13:30:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Simple:

In order for your game not to constantly thrash to disk, all your crap has to fit in RAM. Since Windoze takes up half your RAM, the amount of RAM you thus have available to the game is half of what you have in your computer. For reference purposes, a naked TS2 install with no downloads attached runs around 300-400 MB usage. The rest of your RAM is how much crap you can get away with downloading. Exceeding this causes massive disk thrashing and lag. Macs may get better mileage depending on how much of a hog MacOS is.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Elven Ranger
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 December 24, 13:39:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, id best go check! lol
Thanks Smiley

WARNING:<br />I have dyslexia, so please excuse my crappy spelling & punctuation Smiley
ElviraGoth
Knuckleheaded Knob

Just another shitty day in paradise

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 December 24, 14:43:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a GeForce 6800 with 256 MB RAM and with OFB, they finally made the game take advantage of the things I got the card for.  I have noticed that with Pets, the lighting and detail have improved even more.

The 7300 is newer than mine, so the card is better than what the game has been able to display up til now.  I had to tweak settings to get the best textures, detail and lighting before OFB, but I think I had to cut back on some of those settings and let the game use its own after OFB came out.

In fact, since I got Pets, I have been spending a lot of time looking at stuff in my sims' houses from the base game that look so much better than they ever had before! 

Werewolf?<br />There! There wolf!  There castle!
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 December 24, 18:42:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MacOS has always had notoriously bad memory handling, so double the figures if you use a Mac.

Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 December 25, 04:46:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wasn't it the PPC processors in the old Macs that caused them to be slow and not the RAM?

Anyway, you'll have no problems running TS2 on that thing, I've got an Intel Core Solo of the same speed with an integrated card and even though it's under spec (No T&L on the card) it runs the game great.
Braveheart
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 December 25, 14:25:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for all the input people. Much appreciated. I figure I will purchase it and the price at $1100 canadian is probably the best I am going to find at this point. Merry Christmas everyone!!
seelindarun
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 December 26, 18:42:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

MacOS has always had notoriously bad memory handling, so double the figures if you use a Mac.

You are probably thinking of the old MacOS.  It did have poor memory handling, and ran on PPC processors.  The current MacOS X, based on a Unix core, is the only one available now and has been for about 6 years.  This OS also runs on PPC and Intel Core Duo processors. 

I am almost completely ignorant about OS architectures, so I cannot speak further on what a unix-flavoured core may do for memory management.  From practical use, my 2-year old laptop with the old processor has very robust memory handling and runs TS2 well on 1.2 GB RAM and a 700 MB DL folder.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 December 26, 19:26:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You are probably thinking of the old MacOS.  It did have poor memory handling, and ran on PPC processors.  The current MacOS X, based on a Unix core, is the only one available now and has been for about 6 years.  This OS also runs on PPC and Intel Core Duo processors. 

I've programmed Macs for over 10 years. I have some idea how they work.  Tongue

Mac OS has *always* (and still does) had severe problems with memory performance whether we're talking PPC or 68K or Intel. It's not because of the hardware, it because of their crappy software. And, IMHO the PPC is better for performance if you actually use it properly than any x86 chip.

Paperbladder
Paperian Heretic
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 December 26, 23:44:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If PPC was better than why did Apple switch?  To run Windoze?

Then again there must be something good about that architecture since all of the "next-gen" gaming systems have a PPC processor of some sort in them.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 December 27, 03:28:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Intel has a far better supply chain than Motorola and IBM. I think Apple anticipated a big surge in sales.

Bain
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 January 02, 20:37:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I play Sims 2 on my laptop without any problems

3.2 ghz Intel M processor, 2 gigs DDR2 ram, gForce 5600 go 128 ram vid card.

I think the computer you're looking at will run fine.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 January 02, 21:51:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's quite impressive stats for a laptop...

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: