More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 14, 13:53:38

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  Peasantry
| | |-+  Meshing?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Meshing?  (Read 8660 times)
Simlover
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile WWW
Meshing?
« on: 2006 March 30, 05:14:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was wanting to get into meshing and I know it requires simpe and some program called milkshake (according to most sources) does anyone know if i can use something i'm more familiar with (and actually own) like Lightwave 3D?

Axe murdered since 2006
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
Re: Meshing?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 March 30, 05:25:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure about using other programs, but I imagine it would work, although you wouldn't have plugins made specifically for Sims2 like Milkshape does.
Simlover
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006 March 30, 05:29:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah ok was wondering about that

Axe murdered since 2006
Database
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 March 31, 13:50:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are only three programs I have got to work with meshing for The Sims 2. Milkshape, Truespace (Only tried with version 3) and 3ds Max.

3ds Max works perfectly and natively. I suggest you do not "Convert Units" when importing a Sims2 mesh, however.
]
Truespace works great, with a plugin to export .obj files. (I have one someplace, i'll have to find it when I get home.) However, I have had problems with lighting. Slap any texture on it (in the editor) and it works. It also won't show up on the final .OBJ file.

Milkshape works perfectly, however it is totally useless for all but the simplest of meshes. Not powerful enough.
* Database dislikes Milkshape.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 March 31, 14:57:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Max too. Although, since Milkshape can import and export so many formats, you can pretty much use any program, import your mesh to Milkshape and export from there. I haven't checked lately, but I'm almost positive Milkshape can import Lightwave meshes. If so, just make your mesh in Lightwave, save or export it, import it into Milkshape, and then export it from Milkshape to a form SimPE can use. I believe WesH has a Milkshape plugin to do this.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Simlover
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2006 March 31, 23:37:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks guys! I really didnt want to have to buy another program just to fiddle with meshes.  If I get excited I may load it all up and see if i can get it to happen, if not I'll just stick to recolouring.  Was just hoping maybe someone out there was using lightwave and knew for sure.

Axe murdered since 2006
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 April 01, 01:34:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lightwave IIRC saves to .obj, correct? If so, I can confirm that Milkshape can load an .obj and then once loaded into milkshape it can be exported to a form simPE can use as long as you have the Milkshape plugin.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 April 01, 01:58:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Blender 3D.  Anything wrong with that?
Simlover
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 April 01, 03:22:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks I've put Lightwave back on my computer now (will have to brush up on it again) and have downloaded and installed SimPE (now I just gotta figure it out).  Think I will need to do a few SimPE tutorials before I start doing too much.  Or at least wait until I have some peace and quiet.

Axe murdered since 2006
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 April 05, 05:45:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Woah. 3ds Max is like $600! Do you guys get it through "alternative" means or what?

I've been working recently in Milkshape and it really is too simple to do most things correctly. Such a pain in the ass sometimes.
Fat D
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 April 05, 06:09:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

some modders are also involved into their special part of modding outside of the Sims-world.

IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 April 06, 14:18:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lightwave IIRC saves to .obj, correct? If so, I can confirm that Milkshape can load an .obj and then once loaded into milkshape it can be exported to a form simPE can use as long as you have the Milkshape plugin.

If you're working with non-animated object meshes (or object meshes that are animated but don't need special steps to retain the animations) you don't need any special plugins, you can just export from Milkshape as an .obj and import it into SimPE.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: