More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 12, 08:41:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  New Patches for OFB and FFS
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: New Patches for OFB and FFS  (Read 81111 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: New Patches for OFB and FFS
« Reply #150 on: 2006 June 20, 14:38:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

"The One" effect?  I'm not familiar with that...
The One is where, due to lazy coding practices and cutting corners, sims and objects of a given class acquire undue significance over their peers. An example of "The One" is "The One Desk", where all sim children must drop their homework around on a given lot. It doesn't matter if there are a half-dozen other empty desks, all of which are closer. The One Desk rules them all. The Slapper is another example of The One.

Interesting, because I have the exact opposite experience with them.  Their business is up to level 7 (and close to Cool, Lisa has a job and is doing quite well, and helps out in the store when she's not working.  Tessa is skilling away, and about a day away from transitioning to teen.
Except for the minor problem that it takes them 3 hours to get anywhere, and they're constantly out of energy, so the net effect is that it takes them a minimum of twice as long, on average 5 times as long, to do anything as one of my regular sims. Thus, they're doing poorly. The cumulative effect of being an anemic sluggard is counterproductive and annoys me greatly. I despise laziness.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
kutto
Senator

Hamsome

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 2006 June 20, 14:46:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I somewhat despise activity! Sims only need about 4 or 5. Those others points are wasted. Most of mine are very outgoing or very playful. Activity is only good for those in a career where body is essential.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 2006 June 20, 14:51:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maxis sims are at such a disadvantage, even more so than adult sims you would create in CAS.  I use TJ's college adjuster to randomize skills, so they get a random amount of skills that I feel they might have acquired already by the time they were adults.  Of course, they would have much more if I had been playing them from birth, but at least they don't start out with no skills and it doesn't feel like cheating so much because I didn't decide which skills and how much.  You can select max skills up to 5 if you don't want them to have too much or max out any certain skill.  I also adjust their Active level to at least 6 so they can run, because I can't stand to see them drag around like molasses.  If they were my sims, they would have been encouraged to be active as children, so I think it's only fair.  I don't like to kill sims over stuff like that which can be easily fixed.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 2006 June 20, 14:54:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I somewhat despise activity! Sims only need about 4 or 5. Those others points are wasted. Most of mine are very outgoing or very playful. Activity is only good for those in a career where body is essential.
You NEED at least 6. Otherwise the sim can't move! A sim without 6 active is like a one-legged sim, hobbling from place to place at a furlong per fortnight. And constantly out of energy. There's no real benefit to NOT being active at all!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Nova
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 2006 June 20, 16:56:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Activity is only good for those in a career where body is essential.

Unless you like your sim to have the 'run here' option...which is great for a home businesss.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 2006 June 20, 17:49:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't like to kill sims over stuff like that which can be easily fixed.

I don't like to kill CAS or born-in-game sims for stuff that can be fixed.  I have no such reserveration with Maxis sims that I have no investment in, and can't see gaining one. Smiley

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 2006 June 20, 18:00:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I try to avoid having "dead weight" in my neighborhood files as much as possible. 
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 2006 June 20, 21:23:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What problems have you had with this new patch(s) AFTER you got it installed? Any biggies?

Some folks say the moveobjects cheat ISN'T fixed...?

The moveobjects fix (the patch should have fixed it, right?) doesn't work for me. I added my whole Sims2folder back in after I patched, because I had to reinstall from scratch. Maybe this is the problem I'm gonna make the game generate a new sims2 folder and try again tomorrow.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 2006 June 20, 21:36:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It worked for me no problem...

Are you sure you don't have anything conflicting with it?
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 2006 June 20, 21:52:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nope, I just tried it in  a newly generated sims2 folder's Clean Pleasantville. No hacks, no downloads. Funny though, I could've sworn I placed a car on the street yesterday... Hmm. (I can pick up the mailbox, but can't place it back where it was) Maybe I'll put back windkeeper's hack for locked tiles and try again tomorrow.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 2006 June 20, 21:56:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I've been able to move mailboxes when they were in a daft place - once loaded a new empty lot and the mailbox was on the wrong wide of the road, so I moved it back where it should be.  However, if you have moveobjects off, you can't do it.

Zephyr Zodiac
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 2006 June 20, 21:58:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read someplace that if youi had the hack to make the cheat work again that it is disabling the Maxis fix and then moveobjects won'yt work. Did you have it and have you taken it out?
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 2006 June 20, 22:05:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think blubug said it was a clean neighbourhood.

Zephyr Zodiac
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 2006 June 20, 22:10:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't have it before but I had the version of numenor's objects on custom shelves (with that fix included). I took my whole game folder out, put it in another directory. Uninstalled everything, installed everything, patches too, then put my game folder back in (because I forgot to do that before I patched, I thought it was the problem).

So just now, I made the game regenerate a Sims 2 folder, put no hacks in (not even CEP), ran the game, entered a lot in pleasantville, entered the cheat, picked up the mailbox, but wasn't able to put it back in place. I haven't modified any of the core game files (except for an added line in the modular stairs text). So vanilla game, cheat works, but I can't place anything on the road or by the road. (But I can recolor the sidewalk) Cheesy

Perhaps yesterday I placed that car on the sidewalk, never paid much attention.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 2006 June 20, 22:17:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It does seem odd, and although I can't see how an added line in the modular stairs could cause it, it might be worth changing it back to the original.

Stupid question, but does moveobjects work for items within the lot?

Zephyr Zodiac
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: 2006 June 20, 22:22:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, it does, it works fine. Anyways, I'm off to bed now but put my backups in for the scripts (don2t think that has anything to do with it) if nothing works, I'll do a reinstall and check this feature immediately. Man, this is turning into Sims1 when I had to reinstall almost every week. Angry I want to place stuff on the side of the road. Period.
Thanks for your suggestions guys Smiley
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 2006 June 20, 22:28:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One suggestion comes to mind - when you get a copy of the game that works, copy the program files to another location, then if anything goes wrong again, all you need to do is put those files in instead of the used ones.  As long as you have registry entries for the game, you can do this - worked in sim1 too.

Zephyr Zodiac
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 2006 June 20, 22:31:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Like in the Program files/EA Games folder? I can back that up too? If that's true, I'll back all those up for sure next time I reinstall Cheesy
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 2006 June 20, 22:38:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, if you have a copy you can overwrite the original if it starts to act up - because the registry entry is already there.  But if you uninstall, the registry entry goes too, and then you would have to do a complete reinstall.

And make sure that you make your objects.package file readonly after you reinstall and install the patch.

Zephyr Zodiac
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 2006 June 20, 22:42:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, okay. I'll be back to let you know if the reinstall worked. One last question: when I get the new expansion, or if I have a new patch, I will have to make the objects.package non-read only (writable) again before I install them, right? (for future muck-ups)
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 2006 June 20, 22:51:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, the new install needs to be able to access it, but then afterwards you can make it read only again, plus, of course, the new one.

Zephyr Zodiac
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 2006 June 20, 23:09:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, each expansion comes with a new objects.package that it installs in the new directory for the new EP, and according to Pescado, it never accesses the old ones again.  So you have to go into the directory for the newest EP and make that objects.package read-only.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 2006 June 21, 02:09:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why do we need to make it readonly? I thought it was only neccessary for the vampire problems that were fixed in the nightlife patch?

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 2006 June 21, 02:30:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There were problems with the remote control car as well.  I don't know if that's been fixed, but I avoid using the RC car.  Maxoid Tom said it wouldn't hurt to make your objects.package file read-only, and that would help prevent it getting corrupted, as the game should never make changes to that file in normal gameplay.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 2006 June 21, 06:44:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wasn't thinking!  It's when you patch you need to make it writeable again!

Zephyr Zodiac
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: