More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 06, 03:13:15

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Running OFB without the CD
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Running OFB without the CD  (Read 16334 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Running OFB without the CD
« Reply #25 on: 2006 May 15, 05:35:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have never seen a CD-indused human fatality, but I have had CD drives completely fail because of CD shattering.
I've caused a CD-induced human fatality, but that was deliberate and doesn't really count, when you shoot someone with a homemade spinfusor.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 May 18, 04:11:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you want to be Chinese, you have to eat nasty food.

It's only nasty if you eat takeout of any kind.

I used to use a CD crack on my comp. The thing was a trojan in disguise, unfortunately, and would periodly sap all my bandwidth. I now just stick to the CD, even if it is kinda annoying switching between computers.
Orbit
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 May 18, 21:46:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's also worth noting that CDs constantly used in such a manner, especially cheaply manufactured ones like those used by certain companies (cough EA cough), will develop stress fractures and eventually explode. Depending on the way your CD drive is formed, you may be injured and/or killed by the resulting shrapnel.

That sounds like what happened to my MSDN Windows XP Pro CD.  Although I wasn't injured by the shrapnel.  But it totaled my nice CD Drive.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 May 18, 23:11:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That sucks.  Did MS give you a replacement CD?  Too bad they won't replace your drive.  Sad
Chaudrum
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 May 24, 17:14:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the same problem with my drive not realizing that the FFS CD is in the drive and therefor asking me to insert it.

This "sd4hide.exe " thing, does it work with FFS installed and where can I find it?
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 May 24, 17:21:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can use this one, but DO NOT click on the read-me webpage.  It takes you to a malware-infested page, and you don't need it anyway.

Right before you click on the game icon, run this program, press hide, then run the Sims game, then press Restore.
Chaudrum
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 May 24, 17:27:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you so much, I am gonna try that
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 May 24, 17:31:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No problem.  I use this program to run my OFB game to preserve the disk, and you know how when you first put in the disk it will do the autorun thing?  Well, I hate that, but I remove the disk all the time to play DVD's, so now I don't have to.  Grin
Chaudrum
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 May 24, 17:38:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do I need to have the game load completely before pushing the Restore button?
I can't seem to get it to work.

I tried preshing the hide button, then preshed the FFS Shortcut on my desk. It only showed the start image and then the restore button could be pushed, which I did but it isn't working.

Am I doing something wrong?
BlueSoup
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 May 24, 17:41:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, you're probably not doing anything wrong.  You press the hide button, then start FFS, then press Restore.  You probably won't notice anything except there's a backup icon on your desktop that will be there while the program is hidden, and gone when it's restored.

I don't press Restore very often myself.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 May 25, 03:01:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use ASR in combination with Daemon Tools. That way a commandline option in the shortcut will hide the drives as the game is running, and automatically restore them after.

I don't much like having to remember to hide or unhide using a program manually…
Athena
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 May 30, 06:10:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For some reason, nothing will work for me.

I've tried both CureROM and SD4Hide (separately), both with Alcohol and Daemon tools.  I've also tried GameJackal.  Every time, The Sims 2 OFB says that I need to make sure that the CD is in the drive, then the program shuts down.  The only thing that *does* work is to 1) use my actual version of The Sims 2: OFB in the CD drive (which, for reasons mentioned in this thread, I don't want to do) or 2) find a cracked exe file, which I've heard is the reason my college grades are messed up (the bar doesn't change).

*has no idea why it works for everyone else, but not on this computer* :x
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 May 30, 07:36:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No problem.  I use this program to run my OFB game to preserve the disk, and you know how when you first put in the disk it will do the autorun thing?  Well, I hate that, but I remove the disk all the time to play DVD's, so now I don't have to.  Grin

Try holding down shift when putting in a disk, should disable the autorun.

I tried game Jackal, doesn't work for me either, I haven't tried the other suggestions yet.

I'm also going to try backing up my sims DVD with CloneDVD v2.8.9.9.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: 2006 June 08, 12:33:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I really want to do this as I hate keeping cd's in the drive and half the time they go missing when I do.  I tried something called Circle Virtual CD (uses something called Hekkoscan), but when I clicked on it to make the image, it just loaded-up the game.  Maybe it's supposed to, I don't know, but I stopped it anyway.  It did create the new drive it's meant to though, Drive Z, but I was totally confused by it and there were no real help files with it.  Anyone else used it?

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: 2006 June 08, 17:03:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Getting a GameJackal profile set up can be a bit tricky.  There's about three different ways to set one up, and only one of them works for any Sims 2 EP.  Unfortunately it's been some time since I tried it and I can't remember exactly how I went about it, but if you poke around the program trying different options you can probably get it to work.

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
webwench
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 June 09, 14:51:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For me, GameJackal was a snap.  Here's how I set up a profile:

1.  Install GJ completely.
2.  Make sure the disk is in your CD reader.
3.  Rightclick on the OFB icon or shortcut.
4.  Choose "Convert to Game Jackal Profile*

Game Jackal will make its own profile for use.

Now, if you're using a virtual CD rom, you'll get the chance to choose which drive you want the profile to be attached to.  Just follow the prompts, and you should be just fine.

Good luck!
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 June 09, 15:31:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I made a batch file using the instructions found here:

http://brucebeh.com/hidesd4hide.htm
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »