More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 19, 05:26:40

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Bon Voyage launcher question
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Bon Voyage launcher question  (Read 2358 times)
Lum
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Bon Voyage launcher question
« on: 2008 February 07, 00:48:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey, long time lurker, rare poster here.

Thanks to the BV warnings, my own version fell off the back of a truck *cough* and works perfectly with a no-CD crack in all its SecuRom-free glory.

Thing is, the BV launcher thing remained. According to another thread, I can create a shortcut directly to the .exe and bypass the launcher altogether. The first time I tried that, it didn't work and got stuck with a black screen. Then I tried the shortcut again with no active Internet connection, and it worked perfectly.

My question is: should I keep playing with the launcher+live Internet, or should I just disable the net when I want to play without a launcher? Is there some EA dirty trick I should be aware off, or are both methods ok? Sure, disabling the net takes 5 seconds, but it seems to be an annoyance. Is there a VBT I should be aware of in either case?

Thanks in advance...
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: Bon Voyage launcher question
« Reply #1 on: 2008 February 07, 03:33:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there a reason you need the internet when your playing? 

ISFJ
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 February 07, 04:34:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Block BV on your firewall. Actually, block all Sims games while you are at it. There is absolutely no reason why they should be communicating with the rest of the world, unless you are trying to post a story on the Exchange.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Lum
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 February 07, 20:27:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No, I don't really need the net while playing; in fact, I was mildly indifferent to allowing game to log on. I'll think I'll just firewall it and be done with it, I don't want to worry about weird stuff with EA. I had never allowed my games to log on because I used to have a 56k modem; it would've been internet suicide to allow it. Broadband made it too easy now.

I later figured out that the only way to create the shortcut was to unhook the Internet and THEN do the shortcut. Once the shortcut was created, however, the game started up, net or no net. Learn something new everyday, I guess.

Nevertheless, thanks for the help!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: