More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 08:58:58

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Too much money
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Too much money  (Read 18783 times)
leiela
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Too much money
« on: 2007 September 13, 15:32:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can anyone recomend any good hacks / ways to keep my sims poor??

It doens't seem to take much effort to take a sim and go from broke to 10 bedroom house / sports car / swimingpool rich.... gosh i wish real life was that easy,

I currently use the increased bills package with is great so im looking for more stuff like that.

I know i could use money order to send money to an random pc but im looking for something abit more organised that actually does "get rid" of the money and does it automatically so i don't forget who is suposed to be paying and how much etc.
B
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Too much money
« Reply #1 on: 2007 September 13, 16:31:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For starters, grab the awesome no 20K handouts, which eliminates EA's rather dumb strategy for determining starting finances.  Instead, the rich will stay somewhat richer, while the poor will be lucky to afford a telephone. 

As for prolonged poverty, there are several financial mods available here that "burn" money, some of which can be programmed to do so on a regular basis.  The banking mods are also kind of interesting.

alia
Asinine Airhead

Ms. Smarty Pants

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 September 13, 16:42:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I usually open the cheat window with ctrl+shift+C in the neighbourhood view and type in the command "familyfunds familyname amount".  For example, if I wanted the Brokes to have only 2 000 simoleans, I'd type in "familyfunds broke 2000".

I find that easier than trying to find hacks that are compatible with everything else I have.
FlyOnTheWall
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 September 13, 16:44:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

no20khandouts is great, and harderjobs helps prevent things like Sims getting a position as a CEO right out of college.
pixiejuice
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 September 13, 18:51:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use increased bills too.  And like the others said, no20khandouts and harderjobs.  I also use syberspunk's Uni careers hack, so that some of the higher-paying non-uni jobs now require an education.  I use Inge's mortgage shrubs, so that my sims can take out loans to buy their homes, businesses, student loans, and such.  There is the private school bill hack.  I make my sims pay $1000 per semester for college tuition, paid via Monique's hacked computer.  They also pay rent for living in the dorms.  In my neighborhood, one of my richer sims is a real estate mogul/slumlord, and my renting sims pay their rent to him, again via Monique's computer.

Also, from a gameplay perspective, I don't allow ALL of my sims to skill up quickly, go to college, and make lots of friends.  I try to vary it as much as I can, and base it on their personalities and current wants.  If they don't want to gain a skill point, they don't get one.  If they don't want to work on a promotion, they don't.  That way, the sims in my neighborhood are varied - some smart and some dumb, and as a result, some rich and some poor.  I also impose a few personal rules to make it even harder - only parents with logic >3 can teach their kids to study.  Only parents with logic >8 can feed their toddlers smart milk.  Only sims with outgoing >8 can practice speech without a want for it.  Only sims with active >8 can workout without a want for it.  That usually gives me a more realistic distribution of wealth and poverty.

There's a lot you can do with a few good hacks and a little imagination Smiley

yet another sims 2 blog: http://lakesideheights.blogspot.com/
Loncaros
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 September 13, 19:04:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There really should be a Red Light District lot somewhere on the net imo. Would make those 20 woohoo wants a lot easier to fulfill as well.
pbox
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 September 13, 19:31:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What darcee said ('cept for the uni stuff, and thanks for the idea with requring logic for homework help!) -- also,  there's a shiny new "no inheritances" mod available here as of last week end (nukes the "life insurance" payouts when a sim dies from old age).
lowbart
Blathering Buffoon

Why? Why?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 September 13, 19:51:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, from a gameplay perspective, I don't allow ALL of my sims to skill up quickly, go to college, and make lots of friends.  I try to vary it as much as I can, and base it on their personalities and current wants.  If they don't want to gain a skill point, they don't get one.  If they don't want to work on a promotion, they don't.  That way, the sims in my neighborhood are varied - some smart and some dumb, and as a result, some rich and some poor.  I also impose a few personal rules to make it even harder - only parents with logic >3 can teach their kids to study.  Only parents with logic >8 can feed their toddlers smart milk.  Only sims with outgoing >8 can practice speech without a want for it.  Only sims with active >8 can workout without a want for it.  That usually gives me a more realistic distribution of wealth and poverty.

Do you buy your Fortune sims the piles of stuff they ask for?

Quote from: Liz
I find it particularly disingenuous of Seabolt to attempt to claim that "Advertising is very organic to the 'Sims 3' experience." Apparently 'organic' is code for "We thought of some places we can stick it." Should they run out of ideas, I could gladly recommend some nice, organic place
hbmt
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 September 13, 20:14:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I do, but I usually just stash it in their inventory if they already have too much stuff.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 September 13, 21:51:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Part of my whole randomizing everything playstyle (for non-challengy families) is that I also roll two things (at adult transition, or at teen if they aren't CAS):
1. Will they perma-plat? Y/N  If they are going to perma-plat and their LTW want is career-oriented, then I'll let them reach the top. If not, #2.
2. Maximum job level. I roll for 0-10. If a 0, they get to be a lowlife jobless loser. 10, top of career. 1-9 is the other intermediate levels.

This will help to control the amount they have in the bank, but still...unless they've rolled a 0-2, they will still get rich fairly quick. I have them give monetary gifts to children who move out (if it's only 10k, the kid gets only 10k to move with) using familyfunds. I have them pay for college if the kids go. $10,000, less scholarships they earn before going. You can also use mods like Monique's Computer or Pescado's private school bill one to charge for private school.

I also move families every generation as a general rule, and more than half their current cash has to be used to build the new house.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
pixiejuice
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2007 September 13, 22:21:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I also move families every generation as a general rule, and more than half their current cash has to be used to build the new house.

I move my sim-children out into their own households too, keeping with the realism play-style.  But you're right, it does take a lot of money to rebuild and refurnish a house.  If any of my Sims do inherit their parents' home, they have to pay a 40% estate tax.  I'm so mean to them Smiley

I do if it makes sense.  If they don't already have it.  And if it isn't stupid, like wanting to buy a guitar when they don't even have a toilet yet  Roll Eyes

yet another sims 2 blog: http://lakesideheights.blogspot.com/
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 September 14, 01:39:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Another useful thing is to make them start out in a 1 x 1 lot as these deteriorate so quickly in value - and are too small to have both a car and more than one person living there.  Lose the garage and you have room for two adults and a child, but they have to work very hard if they are to move up the housing ladder and have room for a baby as well...otherwise they have to wait until the existing kid moves out!

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 September 14, 01:48:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Or you can blow it on one of those outlandishly expensive vacations. People can lose $2000/day, while elapsing no actual time in the real neighborhood, that way. Failing that, there's always the tried and true standby of blowing it on ale and whores.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Ellatrue
Terrible Twerp

ENFP, by popular request.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 September 14, 02:59:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Inge made a mortgage shrub that I think you can still get at simlogical.com

Load your sims up with debt!

Or, you could try playing one of the many challenges out there that relate to simulated poverty. Hint hint.

Tigerlilley
Hentaibait
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 September 14, 03:04:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A long time ago Kathy (and her hubby i think) from Insim made me a hacked cash register.  It works just like the grocery dialog except you can remove 100s, 1000s, or 100000s of dollars.

I don't know if theyve still got it at insim but when I get home I'll attach it here.

<Inge> Yes, at my age it is hard to tell whether something I am saying will make me look incontinent

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 September 14, 04:44:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The simple answer is just to donate a bunch of it using the old FFS money order to some NPC or townie. This keeps the NPC and townie families stocked with cash so they continue to function on ownable business lots, as the NPC and Garden Club families can actually apparently run out of money (and then refuse to buy anything).

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 September 14, 09:55:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why not spend thousands on clothes?  Kitting the whole family out every few days should make serious holes in the bank balance!

Zephyr Zodiac
notovny
Garrulous Gimp

Report to the Budgerigar Commisar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2007 September 14, 11:47:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The simple answer is just to donate a bunch of it using the old FFS money order to some NPC or townie. This keeps the NPC and townie families stocked with cash so they continue to function on ownable business lots, as the NPC and Garden Club families can actually apparently run out of money (and then refuse to buy anything).

Wait, what? How much cash do they initially have?

Google Sidewiki: Allowing invisible webpage vandalism since 2009.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 September 14, 11:50:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why not spend thousands on clothes?  Kitting the whole family out every few days should make serious holes in the bank balance!

And make trying to make any wardrobe adjustments a complete pain in the butt!
Rose Outlaw
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 September 14, 12:00:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A long time ago Kathy (and her hubby i think) from Insim made me a hacked cash register.  It works just like the grocery dialog except you can remove 100s, 1000s, or 100000s of dollars.

I don't know if theyve still got it at insim but when I get home I'll attach it here.

Yes, it's still there in form of a spawn- or buyable adjuster.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2007 September 14, 14:56:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I believe they start out with 20,000 simoleons between them.......

Zephyr Zodiac
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2007 September 14, 19:28:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And make trying to make any wardrobe adjustments a complete pain in the butt!

Exactly.  The easiest way to burn money is with the terrain tool.  Make the grass greener/browner/sand, whatever.  It burns money and does nothing useful for your sims.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 September 14, 21:06:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I suppose it would work, but how many hours would it take....?  As to wardrobes, why not use Pescado's clothing adjuster to buy them all loads of formal wear - which I would not think you were likely to want to change very often (just select stuff that doesn't also appear in everyday) and you pay 600 simoleons a time.  However, I think Pescado's suggestion is probably the best if you play OFB businesses a lot - your employee townies could just keep selling to your employee townies forever - but of course, in the end, your sims would profit from that too!.....

Now, how about this - spend a few minutes (or hours) changing the prices of some of your favourite custom walls and floors to 100 simoleons a time.  Room scores should benefit hugely, but repapering one room will set your sims back a couple of grand at least, and if you do it for an external wall, re-facing the outside of your sims' mansion will run into anything up to fifty grand.....

Zephyr Zodiac
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 September 14, 21:08:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

$20K, usually. Townies and Downtownies don't run out, but Gardenclubbists and NPCs will go into a quasi-depletion state.

broo
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 September 14, 23:19:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Where can I get increased bills mod?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: