More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 10:45:08

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Building/Upgrading a PC for TS2
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Building/Upgrading a PC for TS2  (Read 249606 times)
lowlucious
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Building/Upgrading a PC for TS2 - Update, 14 July
« Reply #75 on: 2006 August 01, 06:02:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't want to be a pain Hegelian and I truly appreciate all the advice, but I really need to know: what brand of computers tend to be the best for gaming?  I am on a Gateway right now and the next computer I want will have to have  everything I need for gaming. Thank you.
asta
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2006 August 01, 07:32:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was planning on bying a Radeon X1900 GT, but now I'm a bit concerned that TS2 won't run proberly because this card isn't mentioned in the Sims 2 Read me.  Roll Eyes

Does anyone have this card?
Hegelian
Undead Member

Viva o Acre Livre! Viva a Revolução!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2006 August 01, 16:11:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't want to be a pain Hegelian and I truly appreciate all the advice, but I really need to know: what brand of computers tend to be the best for gaming?  I am on a Gateway right now and the next computer I want will have to have  everything I need for gaming. Thank you.

Depends on what your gaming preferences are, but any name-brand unit with a sufficiently powerful CPU and high-end graphics board should do. Two GB of RAM should be sufficient, but WinXP can use more (although you may not be able to see it). Remember, the more RAM you have the smaller your paging file needs to be in order to actually use all the RAM (and eliminate unnecessary disk access). However, because of the way Windows and many apps are designed, you can't safely eliminate the paging file altogether.

HP direct is a good value right now (in the U.S., anyway), but you can surely find other good deals if you shop around. The boutique brands like Alienware and Falcon tend to be overpriced for what you get, although the fit 'n finish is usually top-notch.

In any event, you're more likely to be happy with your new PC if you can customize it during the ordering stage (this is why people build their own). If you choose to get a pre-configured machine, be sure to check things like amount of RAM, hard-drive rotational speed and interface (SATA and 7200 RPM minimum), and the number of available PCI slots (for things like a sound card or wireless networking card). If possible, try to get the specifications for the power supply, which is where a lot of builders cut corners. You should try to get voltage regulation within 5%—3% is better and 1% is preferable. Many so-called "450W" power supplies only offer their rated voltages within ±10% or worse (in reality, this is usually minus rather than plus-or-minus) and may only deliver 50-60% of their rated wattage at normal operating temps. Or you could take whatever the builder uses and buy a quality after-market PS from PC Power & Cooling.

If you have plans for upgrading in the future, keep in mind that most PCs shipped by Dell and Gateway now use the BTX form-factor, which is a different motherboard design and layout from the standard ATX design (BTX was designed by Intel to improve cooling air flow for the 4+ GHz Prescott CPUs it was planning but eventually dropped because of heat and power-consumption issues). BTX motherboards require BTX cases and, possibly, BTX power supplies.

I was planning on bying a Radeon X1900 GT, but now I'm a bit concerned that TS2 won't run proberly because this card isn't mentioned in the Sims 2 Read me.  Roll Eyes

A graphics board that wasn't yet released when the game went to press isn't going to be on the list. What you need to worry about are older boards that aren't on the list. I wouldn't worry about an X1900.   Smiley

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." —  Hermann Göring
ChamiMinds
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2006 August 12, 22:07:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok when it comes to hardware issues I'm at a complete loss. I understand a lot but not enough to figure out who is right so I need help. First I'll show you my computers specs:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
       System Model: MXC051                         
               BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A03
          Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.86GHz
             Memory: 2040MB RAM
          Page File: 546MB used, 3386MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
        Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
     Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
        Chip type: Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset
         DAC type: Internal
       Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2592&SUBSYS_01B51028&REV_03
   Display Memory: 128.0 MB
     Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)
          Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
  Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
      Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll
   Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4410 (English)
      DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
 Driver Date/Size: 10/14/2005 21:06:58, 36990 bytes
      WHQL Logo'd: Yes
  WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
              VDD: n/a
         Mini VDD: ialmnt5.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 10/14/2005 21:15:18, 1302812 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-66D2-11CF-A262-BF21A2C2CB35}
        Vendor ID: 0x8086
        Device ID: 0x2592
        SubSys ID: 0x01B51028
      Revision ID: 0x0003
      Video Accel:
 Deinterlace Caps: n/a
         Registry: OK
     DDraw Status: Enabled
       D3D Status: Enabled
       AGP Status: Not Available
DDraw Test Result: Not run
 D3D7 Test Result: Not run
 D3D8 Test Result: Not run
 D3D9 Test Result: Not run

Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
     Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
         DAC type: Internal
       Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2792&SUBSYS_01B51028&REV_03
   Display Memory: 128.0 MB
     Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
          Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
  Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
      Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll
   Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4410 (English)
      DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
 Driver Date/Size: 10/14/2005 21:06:58, 36990 bytes
  WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
              VDD: n/a
         Mini VDD: ialmnt5.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 10/14/2005 21:15:18, 1302812 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-64D2-11CF-A262-BF21A2C2CB35}
        Vendor ID: 0x8086
        Device ID: 0x2792
        SubSys ID: 0x01B51028
      Video Accel:
 Deinterlace Caps: n/a
     DDraw Status: Enabled
       D3D Status: Enabled
       AGP Status: Not Available
DDraw Test Result: Not run
 D3D7 Test Result: Not run
 D3D8 Test Result: Not run
 D3D9 Test Result: Not run

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
            Description: SigmaTel Audio
 Default Sound Playback: Yes
 Default Voice Playback: Yes
            Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8384&DEV_7690&SUBSYS_102801B5&REV_1022
        Manufacturer ID: 1
             Product ID: 100
                   Type: WDM
            Driver Name: sthda.sys
         Driver Version: 5.10.4717.0000 (English)
          Date and Size: 9/9/2005 18:15:32, 1032472 bytes
            Other Files:
        Driver Provider: SigmaTel
         HW Accel Level: Full
              Cap Flags: 0xB5B
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 44100, 96000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
 Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
              HW Memory: 0
       Voice Management: No
 EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
   I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
      Sound Test Result: Not run

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
            Description: SigmaTel Audio
  Default Sound Capture: Yes
  Default Voice Capture: Yes
            Driver Name: sthda.sys
         Driver Version: 5.10.4717.0000 (English)
          Date and Size: 9/9/2005 18:15:32, 1032472 bytes
              Cap Flags: 0x41
           Format Flags: 0xCC0

OK I might have shared to much for my question but I just wanted to be sure. I've been told by several different people that this system will handle TS2 and expansionns just fine and I've had others tell me that my graphics card being intergrated will cause me serious problems after about a month or so of play. When I bought the system I told whom ever I talked to the specs I needed for TS2 and I wanted more because I know how quickly game specs can go up. So I'd love any help on who is right. Can I play TS2 without issues or should I complain and get a new system?

What a night for a dance, you know I'm a dancing machine. With the fire in my bones and the sweet taste of kerosene. ~King of Leon
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2006 August 13, 05:56:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see a real graphics chipset of any kind, so it's going to run awfully if it runs at all.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ChamiMinds
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2006 August 13, 09:36:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see a real graphics chipset of any kind, so it's going to run awfully if it runs at all.

Isn't that a chipset? But yeah you answered my question. Funny thing is I have played it on this system and it works great but I've been told that it's only because it's new so it'll run it for awhile because processer is new and blah blah. I guess I'll be hoping to get a new system.

What a night for a dance, you know I'm a dancing machine. With the fire in my bones and the sweet taste of kerosene. ~King of Leon
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2006 August 13, 09:36:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's not *REAL* graphics. That's Crap Graphics.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2006 August 13, 18:36:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's a nice video chipset but it doesn't have hardware T&L, so you'll need a 2.5 GHz processor or better to compensate.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2006 August 14, 01:36:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's a nice video chipset but it doesn't have hardware T&L, so you'll need a 2.5 GHz processor or better to compensate.
How is that "nice"? I have tons of old graphics cards that don't do the 3D thing, so why is this one special? These things have demonstrably proven themselves insuperior to my ancient Voodoo Banshee, and we all know old THAT thing is.

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2006 August 14, 04:21:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I've never used it myself but I've heard good things about from somewhere.  Cheesy

neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2006 August 14, 04:31:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't have a separate video card. Never use a computer without a video card for gaming, you're just asking for headaches. Video cards are quite simple to install, and for TS2 you don't even need an expensive one.

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2006 August 14, 07:31:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I've never used it myself but I've heard good things about from somewhere.  Cheesy
Somewhere? What the hell kind of somewhere has anything good to say about a non-video-card?

Lady Moiraine
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: 2006 August 14, 14:32:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had 4 Gatways since 1999 and I finally got rid of all of them.  I switched to an Athalon and I'm really glad that I am now out from under Gatway products (except the monitor and keyboard--I ran out of money to upgraqde them).  I went with the AMD 64 Processor 3200+, 3 GHz processor, 3 gigs of ram, Radeon x1600 video card.  I want to upgrade my video card even more but this one has been adequate.  I use my computer to take screenies for my website and since I've switched to the Radeon, I've had much better clarity in my games.  I upgraded my computer to run Oblivion and I have no trouble doing so with this system.  It was easy staying with Gateway but once they changed their tech help to almost zero, I decided to turn to the Athalon and am very happy I did.  Get away from that Gateway and even Dell, those kind of computers are totally under the control of those companies.  You have to buy THEIR stuff and I didn't like that, now I buy the best of what I can afford and I still save double the money than what I paid at Gateway.  This is a good site to see if your computer can run specific games, System Requirements Lab.

ChamiMinds
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2006 August 14, 21:42:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's not *REAL* graphics. That's Crap Graphics.

Great that's what I thought. Thank you for confirming it in the best way possible by telling me it's crap. Hehe I really do like answers like that. They are honest.

You don't have a separate video card. Never use a computer without a video card for gaming, you're just asking for headaches. Video cards are quite simple to install, and for TS2 you don't even need an expensive one.

Yes but this is a laptop. Not so easy to install or replace. )o:

Edit: ok so I lied I guess I can upgrade my graphics card. Though I was told since it was an intergrated card I couldn't. Uhg. I hate being told so many different things. It certainly does not help me get any better at this hardware crap. Anyone know what to do when I get my new card so that the intergrated one won't take over?

Another damn Edit: Ok I'm pretty calm but seriously am pissed off now! I can't replace my video card like I orginally thought so I'm sending back this new computer and will be buying a new one! In which I'll be much better in buying what I need. If anyone would like to help me out in figuring out what I need EXACTLY instead of just suggestions I'd be entirely greatful! Laptop is a must! I'll probably try to make my best friend who DOES know what he's talking about help me but he's so busy these days that'll it'll be a miracle if I can get ahold of him. Uhg stupi stupid stupid people!
K done with my rant for here anyway. 
« Last Edit: 2006 August 14, 23:49:47 by ChamiMinds » Logged

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2006 August 15, 00:17:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can get laptops with ATI Radeon Mobility 300 graphics cards, which work fine for TS2.  Just get at least 128Mb on the video, preferably 256Mb if it's available.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
ChamiMinds
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2006 August 15, 02:52:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can get laptops with ATI Radeon Mobility 300 graphics cards, which work fine for TS2.  Just get at least 128Mb on the video, preferably 256Mb if it's available.

Thank you I will look for that!

IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2006 August 15, 07:34:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

AMD 64 Processor 3200+, 3 GHz processor

I think you got your gigahertzes mixed up. I used to have the same processor, Athlon 64 3200+, and it's only 1,8 GHz. My current processor, Athlon 64 3800+ is 2,4 GHz.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2006 August 15, 07:51:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's a common confusion. The short version being that In the Beginning, when all processors were similar, people got used to measuring the performances in MHz and the GHz. Of course, clock rate isn't the true measure of computer performance, but the average peasant doesn't really understand this, so when they basically couldn't really improve clock speeds any faster, and started getting computers to go faster by other methods, which actually had lower clock rates, it'd be a tough sell to try to peddle a 1.8 GHz machine as "faster" than someone's former 2 GHz machine. It just wouldn't sell. So they started just tagging numbers like "3200" onto the thing, and then small-printing the actual clockrate.

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2006 August 15, 17:56:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the case of AMD processors, its invariably because of the dual core (so AMD 4200 at 2.2 GHz gets about 4400 bogomips).

neriana
Souped!

Donatello

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2006 August 17, 03:04:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the case of AMD processors, its invariably because of the dual core (so AMD 4200 at 2.2 GHz gets about 4400 bogomips).

Wow, I've never seen or heard that word before. What's a bogomip?

I've experiments to run, there is research to be done on the people who are still alive.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2006 August 17, 07:13:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

BogoMips (from "bogus" and MIPS) are an unscientific measurement of CPU speed made by the Linux kernel when it boots, to calibrate an internal busy-loop. An oft-quoted definition of the term is "the number of million times per second a processor can do absolutely nothing".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BogoMips

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
Re: Building/Upgrading a PC for TS2 - Update, 29 July
« Reply #96 on: 2006 August 31, 08:36:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So with a 4400 dual core Athlon, how many bogomips do I have? How many times a second can my computer do absolutely nothing?  Grin

Bogomips - so cool!

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2006 August 31, 12:25:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I would guess that a 4400 would get around 4400 bogomips, but you need some system info program to tell you for sure.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2006 September 01, 06:32:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh OK, I thought from the 4200 chip having higher bogomips than 4200, there was some kind of rough equation that had to be applied to guesstimate the bogomips. I didn't see anything like that on your link though.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Indiasong
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2006 September 06, 13:56:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a 9800 128 radeon. If I wanted a better video card, say a radeon with 256, still an agp, which one should I go to?
And I suppose I would have to change my power supply(say, for a seasonic): http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/sm/techov.htm#1102452
And would my cooling system be up to it? http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8300/sm/specs.htm
And wouldn't it be too expensive?
So many experts here.  Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: