More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 10:35:38

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Big Ball of Fire Visible from Space
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Big Ball of Fire Visible from Space  (Read 3803 times)
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
Big Ball of Fire Visible from Space
« on: 2007 June 04, 22:32:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've heard about this before, but never seen it.  Oh, individual lots would lock up in the early years, but nothing serious has happened to me in a long time.  Until now.

My wife and I have been arguing about house colors.  I just don't care much for brown, green, or red as house colors in real life, though I'm not entirely above using them in the game.  As part of our discussion about painting our house, she wanted to see the houses I'd made in the Sims.

Unfortunately, that's when my neighborhood decided to go kablooie.  I loaded it up, and the neighborhood view wouldn't load.  Instead of loading, the intro screen (the blue one with the icons and the neighborhood name) just started blinking.  Really rapidly.

Naturally, I assumed a problem with a recent download or something, so I moved my downloads directory into another folder entirely, not under EA Games.  I tried loading the game again, with the same results.  The Maxian neighborhood such as Pleasantville loaded without a hitch.  Just not the custom neighborhood with all my houses.

I think I'm hosed.  I'm not sure how to go about salvaging anything, even.  The individual Sims are probably too much work to bother, but it'd be nice to get some of those houses back.  Except of course they're occupied, which would just lead to another BBFVS.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
Re: Big Ball of Fire Visible from Space
« Reply #1 on: 2007 June 04, 22:37:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Blame your wife. It will make you feel better Cheesy My sim died today because he was fishing, and my hubby started talking to me. I was looking at him and didn't notice a thunderstorm had rolled in...of course it was my husbands fault Tongue Luckily my sim's girlfriend saved him from G.R.

Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 June 05, 00:18:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Package all lots you like (after temporarily moving the residents to the bin, of course). Then back those up separately. I learned the hard way after my uploaded copy of a community lot went bonkers and I didn't have the original neighborhood I'd made it in anymore. Now I save all my lots, with the exception of the phone booth and the cheese wedges, because they are not ones I'd use in other 'hoods and they took all of 5 seconds to build.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 June 05, 00:58:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Package all lots you like (after temporarily moving the residents to the bin, of course). Then back those up separately.

since the neighborhood won't load, I think it would be rather difficult to package any of the lots  Roll Eyes

Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 June 05, 02:36:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not being at all awesome I may just be talking out of my arse here, but maybe removing the custom lots from the lot catalog using clean installer, and see if the custom hood loads? From what you're saying I don't think it can hurt. If it works you could at least try to salvage the houses.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 June 05, 03:13:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Package all lots you like (after temporarily moving the residents to the bin, of course). Then back those up separately.

since the neighborhood won't load, I think it would be rather difficult to package any of the lots  Roll Eyes
It would be a challenge. The advice was for the future. He's screwed for now, as far as I know.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 June 05, 10:16:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Lots devoid of sims (the lot can have sims living there, but they will not be included) can be extracted from the game even in a non-loadable neighborhood,  by copying, renaming, and pasting their lot files manually over the lot file of another lot of the same size and type in the target neighborhood. Say you have N004_lot3, and you want to move it to N005, so you create a lot of compatible size and type (3x3 -> 3x3, res->res, etc.), get its number (ex:N005_Lot34), and copy N004_Lot3 -> N005_Lot34. Lot cloned simlessly. Doesn't matter if either lot is inhabited.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: