More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 01, 23:22:45

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Is there a fix for custom cribs + changing tables ?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Is there a fix for custom cribs + changing tables ?  (Read 11158 times)
Marg
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: Is there a fix for custom cribs + changing tables ?
« Reply #25 on: 2006 June 07, 17:10:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No flamingos of contentment on my lots yet.    Just last night I had twin toddlers that had just transitioned.    We managed to get the teach to walk done before their energy bottomed out.    I slipped them into the cribs expecting them to get out on their own when they woke up.    They didn't.
The toddlers had to be lifted out and then spent the next wake peroid skill building on their logic.
The next time they did get out of the cribs on thier own.    That was the only thing that was changed for them.   It's interesting how much everyones games differ.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 June 07, 18:42:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is, certainly - as I said, no logic has been necessary for mine, I've had them put to be exhausted the moment they transitioned, wake up and scream a bit, then think for a moment and - out they get with that cheeky likktle grin on their faces!  (How Inge managed that I'll never know!)

Zephyr Zodiac
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 June 07, 19:06:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

ok perhaps im being dim here (most likely) but why is the whole changing table and crib thing such a promblem when , when say the maid doesnt have a problem with custom toliets and showers , and the gardener is fine with custom plants . im assuming the whole guid code thing would apply there to.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2006 June 07, 19:16:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think a lot depends on how they are made, and funnily enough, if the maid does have a problem with beds, it's the Maxis Soma and any ebds cloned from that - she refuses to make them!  I never use either the Soma sleepwell or any beds derived from that if I'm using the maid.  I think I first noticed the problem after NL, although it may have appeared earlier, when Kaylynn was leaving the Pleasant house with Daniel's bed unmade.  At first I thought, it's because he's just woohoo'd in it with Mary Sue - but then I noticed it in other houses too.

For some reason, I think that some custom cribs are lacking the animations etc., but I think you just have to accept that if one isn't working the way you want it to work, you need to change it for one that will work.

Zephyr Zodiac
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 June 07, 19:24:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

whats has animations got to do with the autonomity of an object?   and i know to make it work the way i want im going to have to use the maxis cribs and stuff but it doesnt make sense to me , maybe i should go whine at 4esf2 and the other places i got the cute cribs from
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 June 07, 19:30:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I don't think whining would help, but maybe a polite note to inform the creator that you have noticed a problem would be appreciated. 

And if you noticed, I said animations etc. (in other words, a lot of the things that make it work)were lacking - for example, if the side of the crib which normally goes up and down doesn't, then the crib is lacking something to make it do that!

Zephyr Zodiac
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 June 07, 20:23:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

when i said whine it was a figure of speech (a werid one ),

and im sorry but i still feel like im missing somthing . ok i get they fact that nanny doesnt know the cribs and stuff are there because of some sort guid code thing , but i dont understand why other custom objects that npcs use are not affected , and i also dont get why my playable sims wont use them unless directed either .

other than the whole autonomity issue they work perfect . i get the impression that a lot of people here play with free will off so this would not be an issue for them , but i like free will and i like to be able to leave my sims for a few hours and know there going to be ok ,

i guess what im really asking is , what makes cribs and changing tables diffrent than other custom content ,
Marg
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 June 07, 20:42:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not really sure other than the babies and toddlers can't use them themselves.    It takes an adult or a teenager to either change a diaper or put a toddler into a crib.     The Maxi made objects have animation trees that require certain actions before they become available on the "action" list.    If someone makes a custom object to replace a Maxi  one, some of the actions on the animation tree may not be activated or even there.     As it has already been suggested, if you notice anything isn't working the way you think it should be, a pleasant note to the creator would probably be the way to go.   
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 June 07, 21:20:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

yeah i think i will try this pleasent note to creator thing . altho i just know im going to end up insulting them in somway , i am not known for tact however hard i try .and that coupled with a very dry sense of humor is a diaster waiting to happen ,
Marg
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2006 June 07, 21:24:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

LOL Holly, don't try to be funny then when you send your note to the creator.    Just a short note telling them what's happening in your game will suffice.     The creator may or may not know about the glitches.  If they don't know they will be glad to have some feedback probably.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 June 07, 23:41:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

and im sorry but i still feel like im missing somthing . ok i get they fact that nanny doesnt know the cribs and stuff are there because of some sort guid code thing , but i dont understand why other custom objects that npcs use are not affected , and i also dont get why my playable sims wont use them unless directed either .

It's a question of cloning an object to change it, vs. making one from scratch. Most folks making new objects start with a clone of an existing maxis object, so there's some secondary GUID codes still in it that still identify it to the sims.  But if a modder makes an entirely new object, it won't have the same secondary GUID as the original, so the sims won't recognize it for what it is.

(Or at least that's how I understand it works, based on what JMP was saying in chat one day.)

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 June 07, 23:43:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's a question of cloning an object to change it, vs. making one from scratch. Most folks making new objects start with a clone of an existing maxis object, so there's some secondary GUID codes still in it that still identify it to the sims.  But if a modder makes an entirely new object, it won't have the same secondary GUID as the original, so the sims won't recognize it for what it is.

(Or at least that's how I understand it works, based on what JMP was saying in chat one day.)
Not quite. The "fallback GUID" method of identification is an experimental attempt to identify a specific special case, namely, coffins, as a subclass of a category, Beds. However, cribs do not have such a category, so it is impossible to easily identify a potential crib by category-search...you'd have to individually search every single object on the lot, which is a costly operation that will probably end in Too Many Iterations.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
holly
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 June 07, 23:57:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

so jm are u declaring my search for automomus custom cribs . the impossible dream
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 June 08, 13:45:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not quite. The "fallback GUID" method of identification is an experimental attempt to identify a specific special case, namely, coffins, as a subclass of a category, Beds. However, cribs do not have such a category, so it is impossible to easily identify a potential crib by category-search...you'd have to individually search every single object on the lot, which is a costly operation that will probably end in Too Many Iterations.

Ah. So I did misunderstand what you were saying.  That's why you're more awesome than me, and why I won't be doing any hacks/modding anytime soon.  Wink

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 June 08, 13:53:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I mentioned earlier, that I think the parent sim locks onto the baby/toddler, not the crib, as I 've had autonmous tucking in, putting to bed etc.  The nanny can't do that, as the baby doesn't know her.  When I used a sitter, the same thing occurred until I queued him to interract with the toddler, after which, he had no problems either.

Zephyr Zodiac
kacidama
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 June 09, 10:33:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Holly - if you feel you won't be able to put your views politely, Jorenne's post ^ says quite simply what is wrong so perhaps you could word it along those lines  Smiley
« Last Edit: 2006 June 09, 11:03:34 by kacidama » Logged

Don't buy a Gnome with learning difficulties - It's not big and its not clever!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: