More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 17, 01:06:32

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS3/TSM: The Pudding
| |-+  The World Of Pudding
| | |-+  Is there a problem with the Epic 10th Anniversary Chess Set?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Is there a problem with the Epic 10th Anniversary Chess Set?  (Read 7429 times)
Baronet
SimDebster
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
Is there a problem with the Epic 10th Anniversary Chess Set?
« on: 2009 June 08, 18:20:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am using a house that I downloaded and there is a chess set in it (Epic 10th Anniversary Chess Set).  There are two chairs, but only one of them can be used, which sucks because 2 Sims cannot play together.  I just wanted to know if it is just the chess set in this particular house (meaning the house has a problem) or have any of you come across this, making it an EAxis bug?  I guess that would make it an Epic Fail Chess Set.
infamy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Re: Is there a problem with the Epic 10th Anniversary Chess Set?
« Reply #1 on: 2009 June 08, 18:34:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There is a problem with chess sets period where one chair will freak out like that. I have no info re: why it happens.  Replacing the chair won't fix it.  Replacing the chess table will.  Until it happens again.

One side of the chess set seems to become irreperably "detached" from any chair next to it - if you try to move table plus chairs as a set, you'll see that only one chair goes with it. Replace the table and you'll be fine... until it happens again.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 June 08, 18:44:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found it's easier to place the chairs so that they truly snap to by setting it up out in the boondocks...in a large open space. Then, move the set by grabbing the chess table and place it. Make sure there is a half-square buffer at the back of each chair, or otherwise they will not seem available to sims.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 June 08, 19:02:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's my experience as well.  With any chess set, not just the specific set you mention, the game is more finicky about how close you put the chairs to the wall.  I found moving the group (chess set and two attached chairs) a half square away from the wall solved the problem.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
infamy
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 June 08, 19:23:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's likely true re: space.  But this one dead chair thing is something else - or a further pooching.  Because once it's borked, it's borked.

Mine was in the middle of a room with lots of space, and the Sims had been using it. Then it died. And no chair would become one with that side of the board again for love or money. Replace the board, all is well for a good long time, then borked again.  I've never watched to see what happened pre-borking. 
Baronet
SimDebster
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 June 08, 19:28:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found it's easier to place the chairs so that they truly snap to by setting it up out in the boondocks...in a large open space. Then, move the set by grabbing the chess table and place it. Make sure there is a half-square buffer at the back of each chair, or otherwise they will not seem available to sims.

Ahhh, perfect, Zazazu.  Thank you, it worked.  I was really hoping that I would not have to ditch the house.  It is cute and small and just enough that my Sims can afford right now.

How do the programmers at EAxis manage to do this?  They have working code out there (both Sims 1 and 2).  Have they never heard of reusing existing code, especially working existing code?  I will never understand this.  Never.
BastDawn
Retarded Reprobate

I'll stop by to read Awesomeland once in a while.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2009 June 08, 19:36:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just last night, I was furnishing a house and had problems with getting a chair to attach to the chess table; it would go in the right spot, but it wouldn't snap into place.  I was able to get it to work after picking it up and putting it down a few times.

Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 June 08, 19:51:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I found if the chairs are anywhere near a wall, one chair doesn't work.  I wonder if the game is having problems with cancelled querys and it thinks that the chair is occupied.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 June 09, 03:43:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have they never heard of reusing existing code, especially working existing code?
Depending on the code architecture, that may be more trouble than it's worth.  Code depends on data structures, names and parameters for functions, etc.  If all of that changes dramatically, all you're left with is the algorithm.  You can copy-and-paste the code and then manually correct it, but you can't properly re-use it as is.

Seeing as the new model allows much finer placement of objects than before, I wouldn't be surprised if the coordinate system were different.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
Baronet
SimDebster
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 June 10, 01:45:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Personally, I think that they just made the footprint too big of the stuck together set they tried to make of the chess table and chairs.  The set I was having trouble with was not against a wall, but near the open square of the front door.  Even though I would put the set together outside and then move it, I would get the option of play a game with..., however, as soon as the Sim tried to get in the chair it would become unset again.  I finally used the alt key and moved the set slightly from the door square and it worked fine then.  I could just see the guy/gal that came up with this idea, saying look how cool this is, we can save all kinds of time placing chess sets by using it.  Meanwhile, he/she broke the objects placement and probably took more time creating it than it would have taken to just place the table and two chairs.  Genius...not!
ZeKat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 June 10, 06:09:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Look closely at the lines on the ground. What I find is, that if you set the table in a "normal" square (as in, unbroken lines), Sims 2 style, the chairs fit. If you set it half a square to the side, it's borked.
I haven't had a single issue with borked chairs since, but it may or may not be luck... it's EA after all.

Argh, sorry for crap explanation, I no can haz awsum English.
Baronet
SimDebster
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 June 13, 03:06:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine is now definitely not in a normal square since I used the alt key to nudge it a little further from the door square.  In fact, it is not in a square at all, but it works fine now.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: