More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 04, 02:11:19

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Maxis wants pregnant sims to waste away?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Maxis wants pregnant sims to waste away?  (Read 42818 times)
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
Re: Maxis wants pregnant sims to waste away?
« Reply #75 on: 2006 January 17, 11:00:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your business trip where you still managed to somehow show up here from time to time and post, because a message board is apparently so important it needs to be accessed even when one's life is in danger. I know the Internet is Serious Business, but really. Wink

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: 2006 January 17, 11:04:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's like when your helicopter goes down

Yes perhaps a little like that, if you stretch the analogy thinly.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2006 January 17, 11:05:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your business trip where you still managed to somehow show up here from time to time and post, because a message board is apparently so important it needs to be accessed even when one's life is in danger. I know the Internet is Serious Business, but really. Wink
Actually, I showed up from time to time to post because I had downtime, during was I am online to get the satellite imagery of the next target. It's either that, or throwing stones at scorpions. Which I also did.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: 2006 January 17, 11:10:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meanwhile giving away your position by sending data as well as receiving.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2006 January 17, 11:11:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not all miscarriages and stillbirths are due to the foetus being non-viable.  Sometimes it's a problem with the mother, sometimes it's due to illness or accident.  A trip on the stairs, a minor collision when driving, an attack by a mugger etc., many things can contribute to miscarriage or stillbirth and it's perfectly normal for the prospective mother to mourn the loss, in fact, it's probably nature's way of ensuring that she takes better care of herself next time she's pregnant.  

I don't honestly think any man could possible understand, it's hard enough for women like myself who've never had kids, but at least those of us who are not in that situation should not make fun of those that are, or have been in the past!  If you've not been there, not got the t-shirt, you cannot possibly understand, but a little sympathy goes a long way!

Zephyr Zodiac
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2006 January 17, 11:13:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ooooo-kay, Mr. JM I-am-a-real-vampire Pescado.  Roll Eyes

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2006 January 17, 11:14:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meanwhile giving away your position by sending data as well as receiving.
I don't think you're grasping how TCP/IP works. Suffice it to say that this was not a realistic operational concern given the nature of the targets.

Ooooo-kay, Mr. JM I-am-a-real-vampire Pescado.  Roll Eyes
You have obviously misunderstood the statement.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: 2006 January 17, 11:21:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Suffice it to say that this was not a realistic operational

Ah but was it a real operation? Tongue

tunaisafish
Axe Murderer
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2006 January 17, 11:50:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In think the 'scorpian' reference was an attempt to throw us off the truth.

My guess he was out clubbing seals.

Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2006 January 17, 12:01:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I bet it was one of those silly 'motivational' things that companies make their suits do. It likely involved either paintball or lazer tag.

Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2006 January 17, 13:02:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I bet it was one of those silly 'motivational' things that companies make their suits do. It likely involved either paintball or lazer tag.

Or the "trust" exercise falling off a table into your co-workers arms.   Wink
c

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2006 January 17, 13:12:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

c
Maybe if Dumb, Cwieberdink-Type-People were in the chat more, you'd know better than to suggest silly things like this. Tongue

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: 2006 January 17, 13:19:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They don't have scorpions there

Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2006 January 17, 13:23:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

c
Maybe if Dumb, Cwieberdink-Type-People were in the chat more, you'd know better than to suggest silly things like this. Tongue

Oh, I knew that one would get your goat  LOL  (or is it your Llama?)

C

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2006 January 17, 13:55:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They don't have scorpions there
Did you learn that method of scorpion control from the Iraqi Information Minister?

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: 2006 January 17, 14:27:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh good old Comical Ali!   I do wish he'd do some UK appearances!

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2006 January 17, 15:30:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't honestly think any man could possible understand, it's hard enough for women like myself who've never had kids, but at least those of us who are not in that situation should not make fun of those that are, or have been in the past!  If you've not been there, not got the t-shirt, you cannot possibly understand, but a little sympathy goes a long way!

I don't see how a man is any less capable of understanding than a woman who's never been pregnant (like myself).
Anyway, that's as far as I'm going into this discussion without a ten foot pole.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2006 January 17, 16:05:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Faemidwife, teehee.   Cheesy  You are better at pushing his buttons than I am, I think.

Gwill - I completely agree.  Men aren't any worse at understanding pregnancy than women who have never been pregnant.  And I'm out too.  Wink
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2006 January 17, 16:14:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend men who do try to understand, I was careless in my phrasing.  However, I think most women have at least thought they were pregnant at some time in their lives, and been disappointed (or perhaps relieved) to discover they weren't!  (Nuns excepted, I guess!)

Zephyr Zodiac
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: 2006 January 17, 17:08:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think one has to be careful to not go too far one way or the other with the sympathy/empathy.  It's obviously necessary to accept that many of we women will be distraught to lose an unborn child and have grown attached to it like one already born.  I just worry slightly that it's beginning to sound like (and I mean in general, not in this thread) you have to feel that way or you're not natural and ought to feel guilty.  I hope those women who feel they just want the hospital to dispose of the remains and get on with planning the next pregnancy will not feel they can't admit to feeling that way for fear of disapproval.

Viscountess
Batelle
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2006 January 17, 20:37:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think one has to be careful to not go too far one way or the other with the sympathy/empathy.  It's obviously necessary to accept that many of we women will be distraught to lose an unborn child and have grown attached to it like one already born.  I just worry slightly that it's beginning to sound like (and I mean in general, not in this thread) you have to feel that way or you're not natural and ought to feel guilty.  I hope those women who feel they just want the hospital to dispose of the remains and get on with planning the next pregnancy will not feel they can't admit to feeling that way for fear of disapproval.

I lost a baby at age 23, when I was a single gal shacking in a friend's utility room and working at Wal-Mart for an amazing $6.25 an hour.  It was for the best and I came to terms with it as soon as I was able to step off the hormonal rollercoaster from hell.  I have been chastised for not being more sentimental, but what more can I say?  I was emotionally prepared for a baby, but "emotionally prepared" doesn't buy diapers or cover childcare.  I've known some women who see miscarriages as a challenge to try again (one woman had 8 miscarriages and 5 babies and she passed her bad heart on to every last one of them), some see it as the end of a dream and others (like myself) have a more pragmatic (and dare I say Pescado-ian?) reaction. 

However, I think the key to being an outsider in any loss situation is to let the person most closely affected deal with it the way they feel they should, as long as they are not acting in unhealthy or dangerous ways.  Grief is irrational and nonsensical and it doesn't help anyone when you try to force it to be. 
Pegasys
Horrible Halfwit

I'm just going to Gussy Up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: 2006 January 17, 20:57:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

IMHO, it's an individual thing. I've had losses of different types and my reaction to a loss may be vastly different than the next person who had the same type of loss. So it's not just a "you had to be there" type of thing, it's a "you had to be there and standing in my personality and emotional temperament" type of thing.

Even though I've experienced miscarriage, I am not so sensitized that I'd never want to see it in the game because it's "too realistic." Hey the more realistic for me, personally THE BETTER. Makes for much more interesting story lines. Neither am I particularly offended by JMPs statements regarding it.

Check out my Sims 2 movies!

OFB version of Sims2DB now available. The database for OCD simmers like me.
Swiftgold
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2006 January 17, 21:48:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

R-r-rational discussion of a volatile subject? On the internet?! What sort of alternate reality have I stepped into?

Wow, this is what I like about this place, seriously...
Kristalrose
Feckless Fool

I'll do anything for my kids!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2006 January 17, 23:39:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahhh, I also am not one to be offended at JMP's responses.  I know that he really, truly, deeply, does not give a shit.  And at least he's honest about it.  LMAO Kiss

Fae:  You're really studying to be a midwife!  Good for you, girl!  We need more midwives sooo bady in this country!!  I had one for the birth of my second child in WV, and loved her and her common sense approach.  While pregnant with the third baby, I read every midwifery book and web site I could find, and, even thought about going into midwifery myself, since there are NONE in my area of NC.  So, not only do you have some of the most beautiful avatars on the site, you also have one of the coolest jobs.  Smiley 

I completely agree with everyone's comments about everyone mourning a miscarriage differently.  It's that way no matter who is loss.  When my father passed, my mother and I spent about a week crying and having nightmares.  My sister, on the other hand, spent days alone, not speaking to anyone, angry.  Don't think she shed a tear.  Was she sad that our father had died?  You betcha. But, that was the way she dealth with it. 

Batelle:  I don't think you were unemotional, I think you were strong and very logical about the whole thing.  I wish more of us were like that. 
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2006 January 18, 00:22:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

However, I think the key to being an outsider in any loss situation is to let the person most closely affected deal with it the way they feel they should, as long as they are not acting in unhealthy or dangerous ways.  Grief is irrational and nonsensical and it doesn't help anyone when you try to force it to be. 
Practical field experience tells me that when people insist on being whiny babies, the best way to deal with is to berate and insult them until they become enraged. It redirects their attention away from their snivelling and puts them in a more useful, motivated state of mind. Rage is more useful than despair. Depression is just anger without enthusiasm.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: