More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 06, 01:01:07

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540273 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Building/Upgrading a PC for TS2
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 23 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Building/Upgrading a PC for TS2  (Read 249720 times)
Rose Outlaw
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
Re: Building/Upgrading a PC for TS2 - Update, 08 September 2006
« Reply #250 on: 2006 December 10, 21:33:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most people are going to want to upgrade eventually, so why not get the upgrade for free?

The voucher for a free update to Vista is a different story, I was aiming at the "get WinXP Prof instead of Home" point. Smiley
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: 2006 December 11, 03:04:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Most companies are giving the Vista voucher for free.  So if I were going to buy a new computer from some idiot company right now, I'd go ahead and take the voucher and trade it in for Vista next month.
It's not free, the cost is simply hidden from you.

And then the CD would sit in a file drawer until SP1 is released.  Wink  Most people are going to want to upgrade eventually, so why not get the upgrade for free?  Except that when I do make the change, kicking and screaming, I'm going to want the 64 version (it's going to be a thousand times more secure, since it prevents anyone from changing the kernel, even AV's who are throwing a fit about it, which it why it got removed from the regular versions) and I don 't think they're giving out vouchers for that, only the regular version.
I'm not sure that's necessarily a *GOOD* thing. I mean, sure, it sounds good in theory, but it will also obstruct attempts to hack around the Microsoft spyware. And we know Vista is spyware. BAAAAD.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: 2006 December 11, 14:10:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Doesn't 64-bit break a ton of stuff? I heard that even Visual Basic is obsoleted on win64.

If you're going to use Windows in the future and you insist on connecting it to the internet, you may as well upgrade to Vista. It's much more secure than XP, anyway (unless you consider Microsoft a security risk, that is).

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: 2006 December 11, 20:19:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

64-bit doesn't have the drivers yet, but eventually it will. It doesn't "break" anything, the companies just haven't had the time to write drivers yet and rethink how they do things since everyone wants to be able to access the kernel.

And "more secure" is Microsoft Lies and Propaganda. XP will be more secure than Vista for years to come because they started completely over with Vista. People have been poking sticks at XP for 6 years now, and it was based off code used in other versions of Windows (or stolen from BSD) which had also been poked and prodded and had tens of thousands of holes and problems fixed.  As late as this fall, the build still had a major hole in it that other OS's had patched literally 20 years ago.  XP has just gotten to a stage where it is relatively secure- as secure as something that's not open source can be, probably. It will be 6 years, at least, before Vista even approaches that.

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: 2006 December 11, 21:00:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was told that Windows was originally not intended for networking, that when they added this they made everything open by default to aid the networking process. Then they spent the next few years closing everything as it became obvious there were security risks.

If Vista is designed from the ground up, would they start by closing everything first? That might make it more secure.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: 2006 December 11, 21:50:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You were told mostly right.

Win95 was not designed for TCP/IP networking, and it was patched in. XP and 2k carried across internet explorer and the entire MSHTML engine, which dated back to early '95 kluges. That's why MSIE is to this date an insecure piece of crap. And since MS has made the entire OS run on it, so is Windows.

If Microsoft would separate MSIE from the Windows shell, Windows would be infinitely more secure.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: 2006 December 11, 22:52:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had a lovely little util for win 98 that seperated out MSIE from the shell - Win98 Lite - by somebody in Oz I think. I haven't seen anything like that for WinXP, MSIE is probably too tightly integrated now.

Still, hopefully Vista starts off by shutting the gates.

jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: 2006 December 11, 23:17:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's LitePC (http://www.litepc.com/), but this just disables MSIE by ripping it out of the shell and replacing it with custom hooks.

Microsoft knows it cannot afford to let another browser win, so it has made sure you cannot remove MSIE without also removing Windows 2k/xp/2003.

For '98 you could always go back to the non-infested '95a or '95b shell.
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: 2006 December 15, 09:58:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And "more secure" is Microsoft Lies and Propaganda. XP will be more secure than Vista for years to come because they started completely over with Vista.

XP is about as secure as Mac OS 6. You'd have to be nuts to prefer it to Vista. Where do you think all the bots and spammers come from? They are mostly fueled by clueless XP users. Same deal whether you run Windows XP base or SP1/2 or even Windows 98. It's as good as saying "pw3n m333!"

I'm no M$ fanboi here. I run Ubuntu. But if you've already made the decision to turn your box into Windows TV, you may as well not be part of the spamming/DDoS problem.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: 2006 December 15, 10:07:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I run Ubuntu.

How do you run the sims? I thought it still didn't run on Linux because of the Direct X issues?

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: 2006 December 15, 10:24:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still play it on XP, but my network is completely blacklisted there. I obviously won't be upgrading any time soon.  Tongue

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: 2006 December 15, 10:27:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I still play it on XP, but my network is completely blacklisted there. ...

Sorry, I don't get what you mean. Blacklisted where?

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: 2006 December 15, 13:34:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* dizzy takes out his Linux to Windows jargon dictionary

Disabled in the Devices control panel, that is.  Tongue

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: 2006 December 15, 16:42:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I simply don't trust Vista. There are persistent reports that for whatever benefits from threats against hackers you gain, you lose out against threats from Microsoft itself, a bigger threat than any common hacker. Vista is spyware!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
MxxPwr
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: 2006 December 15, 20:30:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I simply don't trust Vista. There are persistent reports that for whatever benefits from threats against hackers you gain, you lose out against threats from Microsoft itself, a bigger threat than any common hacker. Vista is spyware!

Heh, I just keep staring at that 'optional' XP update that allows the new uber-remote-desktop feature of Vista (Terminal Services Client 6.0) to control XP machines. Uh, yeah, I'll be downloading that soon.  Roll Eyes
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: 2006 December 15, 20:47:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

* dizzy takes out his Linux to Windows jargon dictionary

Disabled in the Devices control panel, that is.  Tongue

Cheesy Cheers mate.

ETA:

I was surprised at all the remote control services enabled by default in WinXP. I followed an internet tutorial to turn a lot of it off. MS is one of the most intrusive, ubiquitous pests on the net IMHO, I feel like I'm just getting XP under control, then I'll have to start all over again with Vista. Sigh.

dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: 2006 December 15, 23:54:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ports that listen by default are just the start. There's all this, for example: http://secunia.com/product/22/?task=advisories

There are still a number of unpatched vulnerabilities that can give a remote attacker system access. It's just a mess. Add to that the fact that anti-virus software is usually pretty ineffective, and I can't see giving Windows access to the internet.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: 2006 December 16, 01:12:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cor Blimey! Now I'm worried again. Sad

I do use a hardware firewall in my router and have all my ports closed except for a Bittorrent one - hopefully that's enough of a block. Plus I don't download endless crappy toolbars or use IE or sling my email addy round the net, so I've just got my fingers crossed.

I see many of those unpatched vulnerabilities are related to remote control stuff, it's like MS is the biggest Zombie Master out there.

blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: 2007 January 23, 09:16:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm thinking of buying a laptop. I'm going to start writing my thesis for Uni and my ass hurts from prolonged sitting. Plus I have to be able to take my words to school (where I also work) and continue working. While I'm getting one I want to get a good one to last me at least a few years. I also do a little photoshop and probably will end up installing the sims on that system as well as my desktop.
If I don't play the sims on that computer, maybe the model I found is a bit excessive. But would it hurt too much? I found it for 1,600USD-(HP). With those specs, all the other good brands are way too expensive. I'd like some comments on it, can I post the specs here?
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: 2007 January 23, 11:44:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please post the specs, and for $1600 USD, I could buy an HP that would play the Sims just fine, so unless you were just an idiot about it, I'm sure it will be great. For low-end, basic systems, Dell is usually the least expensive, but after that, HP beats them- and every other brand name- every time.

Edit: Geesh, either inflation or Vista has made prices skyrocket since summer when I was shopping for my laptop.
« Last Edit: 2007 January 23, 11:58:28 by katenigma » Logged

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
MxxPwr
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: 2007 January 23, 12:30:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Please post the specs, and for $1600 USD, I could buy an HP that would play the Sims just fine, so unless you were just an idiot about it, I'm sure it will be great. For low-end, basic systems, Dell is usually the least expensive, but after that, HP beats them- and every other brand name- every time.

Edit: Geesh, either inflation or Vista has made prices skyrocket since summer when I was shopping for my laptop.

Copper and shipping cost is up yes, but I really think it's them making the laptop Vista capable. It'll have to be 1gb ram for sure (no more 'living' with 562 or 768), dual core cpu, faster/larger hdd, and a dedicated 3d accelerator card built in to really run Vista. That'll drive the cost up to be sure.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: 2007 January 23, 12:57:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it's just the increased cost of Vista, honestly, and all those vouchers. Because when I was pricing them in August, they would have run Vista fine since I was looking with an eye for Simming (duo, 2 GB RAM, ATI mobility card) but now you can't get a worse laptop for that price. I don't even want to think about how much power you'll need to run TS2 and Vista both.

I'm tempted to buy a Vista family pack and toss them into a drawer since we always build our own desktops so eventually I'll have to bite the bullet and buy the damn things, and better $400 now than $700 later for 2 copies, but DH thinks there are better things to do with our money. Which I will remind him of in another year or so when he wants to build a new machine.

- Kurt Vonnegut
MxxPwr
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 2007 January 23, 13:02:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't even want to think about how much power you'll need to run TS2 and Vista both.

I can hear the reports of laptop fires now.
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: 2007 January 24, 08:01:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't think I'll be using vista soon, and I'm sad that the prices are high here. This is the best I could find in my price range, and not DELL as I have no trust in that company due to horrors lived by my dad and my sister.
Here's the specs:

HP Pavilion DV6189EA AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56 1.8GHz, 2GB DDR, 120GB SATA HDD, 15.4'', XP Media Center Notebook (RP957EA)

Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Technology TL-56 (1.8 Ghz)
Memory: 2 GB (2*1024 MB DDR-2 SDRAM-how is it DDR2 AND SD, I dunno)
Hard Disc: 120 GB SATA 5400rpm
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce Go 7200 sp. TurboCache 256 MB
Monitor?: 15,4'' WXGA HD BrightView (1280*800)
 *DVD-RW (+/-) LightScribe
*Entegre 10/100 Ethernet
*Modem: Entegre 56K modem
*Sound: Onboard / Altec Lansing speakers
*Mouse: TouchPad
*Wireless 802,11b/g, /Bluetooth/HP Mobile remote, WebCam

Guarantee : 2 Years

I'm not sure about the graphics card, is this on board or something, I'm not sure. I don't want an onboard card or if that's what it's called. Oh! And it's 1.650USD
Baron
Craigsters
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: 2007 January 24, 10:21:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My Sims 2  pets was taken over 45 mins to load and I got tired of it taken so long to load and I gave in and called Dell.ca they financed  me again for  a new computer..

For those wondering, I have all the Sims 2 games and stuff pack game's, my current computer  I'm on which is paid off, only had a
pentium 4  3.4 Ghz processor, it's a Dell Dimension 8400, I already had the hard drive and motherboard replaced under the 3 year warrenty and I maxed out the Ram to 4 Gigabytes DDR2 Ram last year,  video card ATI Radeon X300!..

not mentioning the price  tag, because that's my business and last time I mentioned I financed a computer on a gaming forum they all where shocked by the ammount I'd end up paying at the end of the four year contract, these  places that rent to own or that finance you are place's of last resort and convenience for those of us that can't dish out the money needed for a new computer each year!, the amount that Dell is giving me well be a better deal then Canada's MDG or those rent to own place's here in Canada, and both Canada's MDG  and those  rent to own place's  have crappy computers that are  over priced, enough said about  that!..

[I might transfer some of my DDR 2 Ram from my current PC to my new PC sense they both  use the same type of Ram]

Specs for new PC!.. [from e-mail from Dell]

1 466-2278 DIM 9200,CDCR, E6400 (2.13GHZ),DCT,2MB
  1 310-7963 DELL USB KEYBOARD
  1 310-7966 DELL OPTICAL USB MOUSE
  1 310-8542 BACKUP MEDIA FOR XP MCE,05U,DIM 9200
  1 310-8583 XPRS UPG,VISTA PREM FRM XP MCE,ENG,DIM
  1 310-8590 WWW.DELLVISTAUPGRADE.COM TO REDEEM
  1 310-8591 VISTA CAPABLE STICKER, DIM
  1 310-8617 VISTA CAPABLE VALIDATOR INFO
  1 311-5115 1GB DDR2 SDRAM AT 533MHZ-2X512MB,DIM,P
  1 313-2758 INTEGRATED AUDIO
  1 313-4032 DELL A525 SPEAKERS, BLACK, DIM