More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 22:00:57

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Trying to Find A 500GB Notebook HDD
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Trying to Find A 500GB Notebook HDD  (Read 4337 times)
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
Trying to Find A 500GB Notebook HDD
« on: 2008 June 29, 19:51:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love my laptop, it's shiny, the hard drive is getting kind of cramped though. I really don't want to have an external drive, and I can't put a second drive in as there is only one HD bay. There are two sizes I'm looking at right now, a 320GB 5400RPM or a 500GB 5400RPM. I would totally go for the 500GB, but I can't find them anywhere. From what I read they should already have been out months ago. They probably are at a few online shops, but my searchfu fails. Does anyone know where I could get one of these? It would be so awesome to have a drive that large, and then I should be able to comfortably dual boot XP and Vista.

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
Re: Trying to Find A 500GB Notebook HDD
« Reply #1 on: 2008 June 29, 20:23:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see anything bigger than 320GB at newegg, and if they don't have it, it probably doesn't exist...

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 June 29, 20:52:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

HGST (Hitachi Global Storage) has 500GB 2,5" HDDs (Travelstar 5K/5K500), but from what I've heard, they're 12mm high which means they probably won't fit in an average mobile HDD slot (as "normal" mobile HDDs are 9,5mm high).

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 June 29, 22:12:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see anything bigger than 320GB at newegg, and if they don't have it, it probably doesn't exist...
Yeah, that's where I first looked months ago. I would love to get it from NewEgg, but they just don't have any. They do exist though, I managed to find a website in the UK that was selling them for somewhere around 45 pounds. They are also being sold in some new high end laptops, but I don't need a new laptop though.
HGST (Hitachi Global Storage) has 500GB 2,5" HDDs (Travelstar 5K/5K500), but from what I've heard, they're 12mm high which means they probably won't fit in an average mobile HDD slot (as "normal" mobile HDDs are 9,5mm high).
That's what I'm worried about. The hard drive I already have is in there tightly, so I don't think a bigger one would really fit. I'm still trying to search though, but if I can't find any then I will just get a 320GB. Thanks.  Smiley

Duchess
sloppyhousewife
Lipless Loser

Plumber Zombie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 June 30, 08:03:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That's what I'm worried about. The hard drive I already have is in there tightly, so I don't think a bigger one would really fit. I'm still trying to search though, but if I can't find any then I will just get a 320GB. Thanks.  Smiley

Yep, unfortunately, the "too high for normal mobile cases" seems to be true - but Samsung also offers a 500GB mobile HDD (Spinpoint M6 HM500LI), which is only 9,5mm high.

"Getting attention here is like awakening Lovecraftian cosmic horrors. Don't do it." - J.M. Pescado

Miss Malevolent
Asinine Airhead

Bitch³

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 July 01, 00:05:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love my laptop, it's shiny, the hard drive is getting kind of cramped though. I really don't want to have an external drive, and I can't put a second drive in as there is only one HD bay. There are two sizes I'm looking at right now, a 320GB 5400RPM or a 500GB 5400RPM. I would totally go for the 500GB, but I can't find them anywhere. From what I read they should already have been out months ago. They probably are at a few online shops, but my searchfu fails. Does anyone know where I could get one of these? It would be so awesome to have a drive that large, and then I should be able to comfortably dual boot XP and Vista.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220309&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Notebooks-_-ASUS-_-34220309

The ASUS M70 can actually have two 500 gig harddrives...so you'd have a terabyte of storage...

It's funny, I just read it in one of my feeds from ShinyShiny and then I happened across your thread.

Another link from Gizmodo...

http://gizmodo.com/380885/asus-m70-one-terabyte-laptop-screams-first

If you buy that, I'll be jealous.

"We're going to have a historic election regardless. We're gonna elect either our oldest president ever, or our first African American president, or our first woman president."
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 July 01, 00:12:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Woah baby. I would love to have one of those. I've seen a company called Sager that has a 17" notebook that can have three HDs.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 July 01, 00:20:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You have to move away from those wussy lightweight notebooks for scrawny pencilnecks to get good equipment. Besides, what's wrong with a heavy laptop? For a little pencilnecked dork like you, may as well make it heavy, as it's the only exercise you're going to get all day!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 July 01, 00:27:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ah, yes. My new laptop weighs much more than my old one, it's also bigger. I love it, so much better than the Toshiba. With that one I could press on the back of the screen and it would make ripples.

dawnkeeper
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 July 04, 14:44:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have the alienware m15x and they offer a 500g for it and they offer a 500g hard drive for the smart bay (the smart bay can hold a battery, optical drive, hard drive, etc)!

1TB in a 15" notebook!! I love it! *hugs laptop*

Lurkety, lurk, lurk!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: