More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 04, 02:14:22

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Help with converting decorative objects.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Help with converting decorative objects.  (Read 3275 times)
rosenshyne
Dimwitted Dunce

I/ENFJ

View Profile WWW
Help with converting decorative objects.
« on: 2008 April 20, 16:19:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm not sure if this is possible. I want to take some decorative laundry hampers I've downloaded and make them dressers. I don't want to add the animations, just the function. I would also like to be able to do something similar with some kitchen clutter, i.e. make a toaster a working food processor. Again, I don't care about animations, just the function, and I'd like to do it quickly and easily. How feasible are my ideas?

Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
Re: Help with converting decorative objects.
« Reply #1 on: 2008 April 21, 10:27:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The way I would approach it is to first clone a working dresser or whatever, then import the desired mesh to change its appearance.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
rosenshyne
Dimwitted Dunce

I/ENFJ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2008 April 22, 02:11:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The long way, then. Looks like I'll be spending some quality time with a tutorial. Thanks for the response.

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 April 22, 08:16:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually that's the short way Cheesy

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 April 22, 08:56:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It isn't possible to just steal the pie menues then?

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2008 April 22, 10:20:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No.  You'd need all the stuff like the slots to be there, or the sim would just keep erroring out of the interactions.   So the mesh needs to be imported as a .obj leaving all other 3D details intact as per a functioning dresser (or whatever).  And depending on the object not everything you need is in the semiglobals - many objects keep most of their animation, sound etc, even BHAV resources actually on the object.   Even those where you can import the TTAB and it only calls stuff on the semiglobals, you still need to understand OBJD editing to ensure the object recognises the TTAB.

A simple clone and .obj import is very very quick.   Obviously unless you go into detail, the sim will still be pulling a drawer out of a basket or whatever when they get changed, but the OP said that wouldn't be a problem.  What I do for situtations like that is the unwanted parts of the mesh I make into tiny boxes that don't show.  You don't want to go deleting them or you'll get errors.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: