More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 01:16:35

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  Phantom File in Downloads Folder?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Phantom File in Downloads Folder?  (Read 9544 times)
Angie
Corpulent Cretin

ISTP - "Engineer"

View Profile
Phantom File in Downloads Folder?
« on: 2007 June 23, 18:00:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm trying to move my Downloads folder to my desktop so I can run a clean game for a few minutes.  My computer is giving me a very hard time with this simple task.  I tried just cutting and pasting the Downloads folder, but Windows gave me this weird message:

Cannot move CA183YZ9: Cannot find the specified file.
Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

Huh  Ooookay.  I did a search on my Downloads folder, and sure enough, that file does not exist.  So I cut and pasted all the individual subfolders from Downloads onto my Desktop.  The Downloads folder itself is now completely empty.  So I try to delete the folder and it gives me the following message:

Cannot delete CA183YZ9: Cannot find the specified file.
Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

WTF?  Does anyone know what this file is?  Why is its absence preventing me from deleting the Downloads folder?

Thanks in advance for your help, oh Awesome Ones.
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
Re: Phantom File in Downloads Folder?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 June 23, 18:24:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you've been running the game recently (or Body Shop, SimPE, or other programs that read the contents of Downloads and won't let you alter them externally while the program is running), it's probably something that the computer thinks is in use. Reboot, then try again.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2007 June 23, 18:25:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Reboot the computer and try again.

FYI, if you need to run a clean game for building, testing etc, then rename your 'Sims 2' folder to 'Sims 2 play' then start your game. A completely clean install with no cc will be generated. When you want to play your normal game, just quit then rename the folders again. I personally use 'Sims 2 build' for my test neighbourhood. Smiley

Angie
Corpulent Cretin

ISTP - "Engineer"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 June 23, 19:24:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the advice, guys.  I tried rebooting, and I am still getting the same error.  I have not loaded the game since last night (it's now after 2 PM here).  Also have not loaded Bodyshop or SimPE in several days.

Any other suggestions?
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 June 23, 19:31:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try going to Tools > Folder Options > View > Uncheck the box next to "Hide protected operating system files", and check the box next to "Show hidden files or folders", then do another search for the file.

If this fails, create a new subfolder in the Downloads folder called CA183YZ9 and see if that fixes it.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Angie
Corpulent Cretin

ISTP - "Engineer"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 June 23, 19:39:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ahhh, that worked, Venusy!  Yes, I can now see the offending file, along with 6 others with similar names.

However, I still get the same error when I try to delete the Downloads folder.  Is it okay to delete CA183YZ9 and the other files individually?  Or will this screw up Windows somehow?

Thanks for the quick response!
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 June 23, 20:47:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Try it, you have nothing to lose other than your downloads folder, and you've already moved everything you want from that to the desktop.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
Angie
Corpulent Cretin

ISTP - "Engineer"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 June 23, 21:07:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Tried to delete it; got a different error message:

Cannot delete file.  Unable to read from the source file or disk.

Grr, this is really frustrating.   Angry
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 June 23, 22:36:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Go back to the folder options where Venusy told you, and also uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types'. Don't undo the other changes she told you to do.

Now the files should read CA183YZ9.something.

What is the something? Are they package files or something else? Since you said there are 5-6 of these lurking files, do they all end in the same thing?

If one of the files are borked and you try to delete all of them at the same time (by trying to delete the main folder, or by highlighting all the files and choosing delete), Windows will 'get stuck' on the borked file and not only not delete that file, but not even try to delete any files after that. Have you tried deleting each file one at a time? Do they all give you the error message or do some of them delete correctly?

If the files are NOT package files, post the names of them here AFTER you have unhidden their extensions. You may have a virus or other malware on your system, although I have never seen these types of files show up in this particular folder, it certainly is something that is possible. I'm concerned about why they were 'hidden' in the first place.

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 June 23, 22:39:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It sounds like you need to run a chkdisk, your hard drive may have screwed up data.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Angie
Corpulent Cretin

ISTP - "Engineer"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 June 23, 23:14:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Magicmoon, I did what you suggested, but the extensions are still not showing up.  Here are the names of the files:

CA2VKLMF.
CA6VYHAX.
CA183YZ9.
CAEZO1E3.
CAMR0VNG.
CAQDCNAD.
CARTVMY.

I pulled up the properties for each file.  Next to "Type of File", they are just described as "File."  "Size" is 0 bytes.  Everything else is blank.  They were all last modified in August 2005.  That's about all the information I could find.

Pes, I am running chkdsk right now.  I'll post an update when it is finished.

ETA: The chkdsk is finished.  It did not report any errors.

2nd edit: I get the same error when I try to delete any of the files listed above.
« Last Edit: 2007 June 23, 23:40:53 by Angie » Logged
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 June 24, 00:40:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When you enabled the showing of extensions, did you go into any of your other folders to see if the extensions are now showing for those files? If not, then it didn't 'take' and you need to go back and try again to enable it. If the extensions are showing for files in other folders, then read on.

I did searches on all of these, and came up empty. Usually, but not always, file names that are spyware or viruses will show up in the search engines.

The fact that all of the names start with CA probably means something, but at this point I don't know exactly what.

I notice that you end each filename with a period. Does this period actually show up now when looking at the file? Whenever I drop the extension from the filename, but leave in the period when renaming it, the period dissappears. If yours is showing, then I'm sure that some type of extension is actually there, even if it isn't showing up. (For example; take the file readme.txt and rename it to readme. (with the period, just removing the 'txt'). After you hit enter, the file will be called 'readme', not 'readme.' (with the period)

Will Windows let you:

• rename the download folder?
  • rename any of the files?
  • change the attributes on these files so that they are neither read-only nor hidden?

If it lets you do any of the above, try deleting after you have renamed them. Probably won't work, but it has worked on occasion for me.

Else, boot into safe mode. Then try deleting the files one at a time, finishing with the Downloads folder if it lets you delete the files within.

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 June 24, 01:10:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm. What happens when you open the file? I'm guessing you'll be asked what type of program you'd like to view it in. If so, view it with Notepad. If there is nothing there, just type anything and save the file. If there is something there, go to Edit - Select All and delete everything. Then type something and save.

I don't know that this will do much of anything, but it can't possibly break the files any more than they are. I don't even know that you'd be able to open the file.

Disclaimer: I have not experienced this problem and have no idea what I am talking about.
Angie
Corpulent Cretin

ISTP - "Engineer"

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 June 24, 01:14:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I checked other folders and the extensions are showing on other files (for example, ".txt", ".png").

The periods are actually showing up on the end of each filename.

Windows will let me rename the Downloads folder, however, it will not let me rename the files.  When I try to, it gives me another error:

Cannot rename file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.

I get a similar error when I try to change the attributes.

I'll try the safe mode thing later.  Thanks for your help with this!

Flamingo: I tried opening the file with notepad, and it gave me another error, basically saying that it could not find the file.  WTF, I just clicked on the file?!?  Sorry, this is just really annoying.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 June 24, 02:27:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If your checkdisk was fine, why not search and download a piece of software called 'Killbox'. That might allow you to delete these weird files and folders. Did you try in Safemode yet?

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Magi
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 June 24, 17:40:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You may have to look up a program that will delete the file before its put into use.  There are such programs that can go and try deleting the file before Windoze fully boots up, which is creating your problem.  I had to do this once because I got the same problem when I tried to update my Service Pack and it seemed fine afterwards.  Sorry but I cannot recall what program I used.
Also, it might be along the lines of what Pes said.  Theres a big possibility that it might be corrupted data and the only fix I ever really know of would be to reformat the whole hard drive, but that would be a last resort course of action since your gonna lose EVERY bit of data on your computer to rewrite every cluster.
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 June 24, 18:39:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Also, it might be along the lines of what Pes said.  Theres a big possibility that it might be corrupted data and the only fix I ever really know of would be to reformat the whole hard drive, but that would be a last resort course of action since your gonna lose EVERY bit of data on your computer to rewrite every cluster.

That also means that it is going to be shiny and new again, of course.
Baronet
SimDebster
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 June 24, 21:05:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If chkdisk showed nothing wrong then believe me, you do not want to reformat your hard drive.  It will take days to get your system back with all of the software installation, etc.  Try some of the programs and other info out there first.  Here are a couple of places to start that I got from a quick search of the internet:

http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/howto-delete-xp.html
http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html
http://www.techtalkz.com/tips-n-tricks/3342-delete-locked-files-windows-xp-cannot-delete-file-access-denied.html
http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/deletelockedfiles.shtml

Good luck to you.
Angie
Corpulent Cretin

ISTP - "Engineer"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 June 25, 00:46:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

SimDebster, you are my new hero!   Kiss

I downloaded Unlocker following the advice in your third link.  It worked like a charm!

I was about ready to give up.  I tried deleting the files in safe mode.  Didn't work.  Tried using MoveOnBoot from your first link.  That didn't work either.

Then I downloaded Unlocker, and it easily burninated the evil files!  Yay, I don't have to reformat the hard drive!!!

(presses Thanks button)
Strangel
Nitwitted Nuisance

Strangelet watches Star Wars with an iPhone. Geek.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 2007 June 25, 06:55:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My guess would be that they were badly named .package files. I've had things I downloaded (not .package) that.. on arrival.. were missing their filename. When I rightclicked, they'd show up as 0 bytes. Usually I know what they are based on name (for instance, daffodil. should be daffodil.jpg) and adding the relevant info causes them to work normally. Those that don't (if I type .jpg and it turns out to be a .bmp) I'm at least able to delete them again.

Jelendra: Welcome to the dark side. We have Eric. [True Blood Thread]
[14:26] notovny: Indeed. Pepperidge Farm Breakfast Kittens are delicious.
Om-Nom-Nomed as Throat of #grah 08.07.08 ISFP
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: