More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 05, 22:19:42

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540273 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  How to delete or fix a fubared maxi dresser?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: How to delete or fix a fubared maxi dresser?  (Read 7737 times)
Marquis
mistymage
Lipless Loser

View Profile WWW
How to delete or fix a fubared maxi dresser?
« on: 2006 January 11, 15:54:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is there any way to delete or fix a maxi dresser?  Every time I try to buy the most expensive dresser, $2,125 one, my game instantly crashes.. it actually closes faster than when I shut down normally!  It closes so fast that it doesn't even show the name of the dresser or show the various in game recolors of that style.

Obviously I can just never buy that dresser.. but I liked to be able to.. or at least keep from forgetting and clicking on it again  Grin

~misty

eta: I have Uni and NL

Gnohmon's sims 1 objects
"It's like that hobbit/dragon thing. You cut off one head and.. it's an exercise in futility." -Andy, Dawn of the dead remake, 2004 = trolls on MATY
twojeffs
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
Re: How to delete or fix a fubared maxi dresser?
« Reply #1 on: 2006 January 11, 16:32:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like you have a horribly done recolor of that dresser installed that is causing the crash. You'll have to find it and nuke it to fix the problem.
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 January 11, 16:35:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You didn't happen to download a clothing rack that lets you select any clothing at home like you select when you are shopping? I downloaded a dresser that was supposed to allow all clothing without having to buy it. It caused regular dressers to crash my game as well as royally screwing up buying on community lots. I'd first pull any custom content out of your downloads folder that has to do with dressers and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, you can add back one by one each dresser until you find out which one is the problem.
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 January 11, 18:06:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I doubt it's a recolor that's crashing your game. More likely it's a GUID conflict with a custom object. You can scan for GUID duplicates with SimPE. Under Tools, choose Scan Folders, then browse to your Downloads folder, and at the bottom of the screen in Scanner Settings, check GUID Scanner and uncheck everything else. Check Recursive if you have subfolders. Then click Scan. Objects with GUID conflicts should show up in red.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
Jack: Women your age are more likely to be mauled at the zoo than get married.
Marquis
mistymage
Lipless Loser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2006 January 11, 18:40:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Welp.. the only thing that showed up red was the "better money tree".. so I went through and deleted any file that had no real name.. and the expensive dresser is now selectable.

Now to go through and see if I really want any of those floors and walls.. and to find the recolor or what ever it was that was glitching the dresser. I wish the Homecrafter labelled the packages the way the Wizard of SimPe does.. with actual names and not letter/numbers.

Gnohmon's sims 1 objects
"It's like that hobbit/dragon thing. You cut off one head and.. it's an exercise in futility." -Andy, Dawn of the dead remake, 2004 = trolls on MATY
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 January 11, 18:48:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I put all my walls and floors without recognisable file names into separate folders with the name (having discovered it through SimPE) which works fine, although you can actually rename them all if you wish.  There is a thread which tells you how to do it.

Zephyr Zodiac
sabra
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 January 11, 19:14:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You didn't happen to download a clothing rack that lets you select any clothing at home like you select when you are shopping? I downloaded a dresser that was supposed to allow all clothing without having to buy it. It caused regular dressers to crash my game as well as royally screwing up buying on community lots. I'd first pull any custom content out of your downloads folder that has to do with dressers and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, you can add back one by one each dresser until you find out which one is the problem.

WHOA! I wonder if that's what's  freezing my simmies!  Thank you for the idea--in fact, the problem did start after I installed that clothing rack!
Marquis
mistymage
Lipless Loser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 January 11, 19:24:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Grin Found the offending booger.. one of my own recolors!  Once I knew the actual name of the dresser (cherry something) seeing "rbycherrydresser" was easy enough to spot!

So I made a new one (without yellow this time) and all is well in SimLand!

Gnohmon's sims 1 objects
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

Now with new and improved avatar!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 January 11, 19:26:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yay! So glad your problem has been fixed.
twojeffs
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2006 January 11, 21:20:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*twojeffs  Tongue at IgnorantBliss.

Actually, I meant to say clone and not recolor, but I'm glad you found the offending file mistymage (and that I turned out to be right after all  Grin).
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 January 12, 07:08:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, that's the first time I heard of a recolor crashing a game.

Liz: I'm telling you, this is my year. I feel like the show's going to be great and I'm very positive that I'm going to meet someone else.
ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 January 12, 07:33:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never heard of it, but I wondered, do recolours have a GUID? 

Zephyr Zodiac
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 January 12, 09:22:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I never heard of it, but I wondered, do recolours have a GUID? 

Not like clones/new meshes do, but each recolor still needs to have its own filenames. While recoloring, SimPE generates filenames that should not clash with anything else, though (like, it adds your username, date and an additional hash number to the file name, so it's very unlikely there'd ever be an identical name to conflict with any other files).

I'm still wondering if it was a regular recolor that caused the crash. I would like to take a look at that faulty package file if possible.
« Last Edit: 2006 January 12, 11:43:33 by IgnorantBliss » Logged

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 January 12, 11:13:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, mistymage said it was her own recolour and she'd fixed it, so I doubt she's still got the faulty one.

Zephyr Zodiac
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 January 12, 11:44:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it's just the object making geek in me that wants to figure out what kind of a problem with a recolor would cause a crash like that. I would like to know for future reference in case someone else has a similar problem.

ZephyrZodiac
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 January 12, 12:51:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I can see why you'd want to know, just hope she did keep the original file!

Zephyr Zodiac
Marquis
mistymage
Lipless Loser

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2006 January 12, 13:21:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, it's just the object making geek in me that wants to figure out what kind of a problem with a recolor would cause a crash like that. I would like to know for future reference in case someone else has a similar problem.

It was still in the recycle bin so I uploaded it as a zip: http://mistymage.com/Simalicious/rbycherrydresser.zip. Simpe and I only have a nodding acquaintance so if someone wants to poke around with it..

I think it might have happened this way:

I used wiz o' simpe to get the little png to recolor... used paint to recolor the whole thing... then saved, used irfanview to do some effects (like blurring) saved.. but maybe not as a png.  (might have-->) Tried to simply _rename_ the jpg to png and imported it... or reloaded it to paint and output as png and then imported it again... maybe the image glitched up and is a jpg instead of a png. 

That dresser was messed up for a while so I'm not sure of just the exact steps.. ie it might have been opened in irfanview then went to paint.. I also had "super duper" paint (a freebie update of paint that ran out in Nov that had tons more effects.. it acted more like the gimp.. which I played with for a while too).

~misty

Gnohmon's sims 1 objects
IgnorantBliss
Knuckleheaded Knob

INTJ

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 January 12, 13:35:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks for the file! Yes, it looks like it's the texture that's messed up. It looks like there is no texture at all, in fact, neither the original Maxis one nor a custom one. It won't even let you export or import any textures, and I get an error when I try to view it in the Scenegrapher. This is interesting, and very good to know for the future in case someone else encounters a similar problem Smiley.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: