More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 05:48:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Major Maxis Slipup
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Major Maxis Slipup  (Read 34647 times)
Venusy
Dead Member

Despite the name, I am male.Do not call me "miss".

View Profile
Re: Major Maxis Slipup
« Reply #75 on: 2006 March 19, 22:54:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Everytime I hear that little speech at the movies "DVD copying blah blah is pracy blah blah theft blah blah...." Makes me wanna go home and burn something. Smiley

Treating us all like criminals, making us 'pay' for crimes of others , making us pay inflated prices for stor theft, etc: all that makes most of us WANT to lie, cheat and steal. The "I got the name, might as well play the game." And why not if we are already paying our 'debt to society' for crimes we haven't commited.
You may be interested in this.

Quote from: Something Awful
If you pay $9.00+ to see a movie in the theater, you'll have to sit through 20 minutes of these before you even get to the previews.

Movie theaters are a ripoff.

"They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal."

ISTP - Independent, concise in speech, master of tools.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2006 March 19, 22:55:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah. Exactly.

And I bet my bottom dollar those ppl in those commercials aren't paid diddly squat just like the bulk of us and being in the commercial makes them go right home and burn something! lol.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2006 March 20, 00:20:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If anything, it makes the studio spend LESS money on their next movie, and that still doesn't affect the set guy's pay as the Union ensures that they always have a good work environment.

One could counter that argument by pointing out how much money they wasted on Catwoman.

Only people who take a hit are those small time filmmakers and indie artist that are hoping for a big company to pick up their movie/script. That's what LionsGate Films is for, who wants to be picked up by the company that tried to pass Halle Berry off as Selina Kyle?

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2006 March 20, 00:49:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hey! I liked Catwoman. It was totally worthless and good for a great laugh....
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2006 March 20, 03:03:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Boingboing covers the whole piracy issue a lot, and every time I read one of their posts, I lose ever more respect for the Music/movie/etc. industry.

I thought this one was kind of funny - http://www.boingboing.net/2006/03/18/mpaariaabsa_no_break.html

Great way to get people on your side. Roll Eyes
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2006 March 20, 04:05:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meh, Jysudo. How do you think creators who offer their stuff for free improve if they are never critiqued? Oh, they can, albiet slowly and possibly never noticing some errors, but critique is the key to a steady pace of improvement. Ask any artist, writer, or craftsperson.

Creators who care about the quality of their work will sought improvement regardless of cricitism or not. That' s how it works in RL too or at least that's how I believe people who sought to better themselves behave. If a creator asks for feedback sincerely (not one of those kids who just want "OMG! YOUR WORK IS AWESOME!") , I might provide it if I have the knowledge to do so. Unforuntately, not everyone can give good criticism. Only real experts such as Numenor etc are able to provide such.

Anyway, the fact remains that most people work on recolorings/ meshes for a hobby. Its not a professional job or stuff like that. We don't need to pile them with ciriticism saying their stuff sucks big time blah blah. If its just a person's hobby to do some recoloring/meshing, I don't see why we need to discourage them. You don't tell your kids "Your drawing sucks...", do you? Similarly, you shouldn't cricitism a person starting out.

No one creates bad stuff intentionally. If they want to share, I like to believe they want to share what they have created despite their febble efforts and hope the world will like it (unless its some people who just want to chalk free days at TSR).

But as I said, if its paid sites, its different but even those 'great artists' at paysites have difficulities accepting crictism.

It doesn't hurt me to delete a free crap cc from my game but it can seriously hurt a person's emotions/ morale/self confidence if the person receives sucky criticism about his/her work. And just for that remote possiblity, I won't ever criticism a free crap cc.

Just my 2c.

Go Away
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2006 March 20, 05:46:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At this point in time I will NOT even consider buying anything Maxis.  In the last three days I have uninstalled and reinstalled my game 3 times.  Why?;   You may ask...wel, I had no problems to start with and all of a sudden my game is crashing, pretty well every session, then I get messages saying that I'm low on virtual memory and so on.  So I wiped EVERYTHING, that had to do with the Sims2 and thought I would be okay from now on.  NUP..Played for about two hours today, first time since reinstalling, had a home business and the same shit is popping up again.  So no more EP's for me till I find out WTF is going on as it is.. Angry

If it complains that you don't have enough virtual memory then... then you need more virtual memory.

Start > Settings > Control panel > System
Advanced > Performance > Settings
Advanced > Virtual memory > Change

You should be able to change the amount of VM for your OS to use, just add few gigs and it should work.

Thanks, I'll try that, but are you telling me it's normal for the game to use 500,000kb of memory???

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2006 March 20, 10:02:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Creators who care about the quality of their work will sought improvement regardless of cricitism or not. That' s how it works in RL too or at least that's how I believe people who sought to better themselves behave. If a creator asks for feedback sincerely (not one of those kids who just want "OMG! YOUR WORK IS AWESOME!") , I might provide it if I have the knowledge to do so. Unforuntately, not everyone can give good criticism. Only real experts such as Numenor etc are able to provide such.

Anyway, the fact remains that most people work on recolorings/ meshes for a hobby. Its not a professional job or stuff like that. We don't need to pile them with ciriticism saying their stuff sucks big time blah blah. If its just a person's hobby to do some recoloring/meshing, I don't see why we need to discourage them. You don't tell your kids "Your drawing sucks...", do you? Similarly, you shouldn't cricitism a person starting out.

No one creates bad stuff intentionally. If they want to share, I like to believe they want to share what they have created despite their febble efforts and hope the world will like it (unless its some people who just want to chalk free days at TSR).

But as I said, if its paid sites, its different but even those 'great artists' at paysites have difficulities accepting crictism.

It doesn't hurt me to delete a free crap cc from my game but it can seriously hurt a person's emotions/ morale/self confidence if the person receives sucky criticism about his/her work. And just for that remote possiblity, I won't ever criticism a free crap cc.

Just my 2c.

I'm getting the impression you didn't actually read anything I said. Let's simplify and condense:

Creators need critique to improve, period. They do, as you said, need a willingness to improve, but without critique they will have a very hard time figuring out everything they need to fix and an even harder time figuring out how to fix it. Good critique points out not only what needs to be fixed but how to fix it.

Good critique is not rude nor a personal attack, although newer crators/more sensitive types may initially take critiques as personal attacks. It is important for their own growth that they learn to seperate actual attacks from critique. This is done... by their getting critiques, even when just starting out.

I don't buy the apparent message in your reply of "Bad critique can cause a person to stop creating, so no one should give critique to a creator, ever." If someone is going to stop doing something they supposedly enjoy because of some misconstrued remarks a person they don't know made, they are probably in the wrong hobby. Not everyone is going to be good at or have the wherewithall to do everything.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2006 March 20, 10:22:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, I'll try that, but are you telling me it's normal for the game to use 500,000kb of memory???
Yes.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2006 March 22, 02:43:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thank you for finally clearing that up for me JM.. Grin

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
Jysudo
Nitwitted Nuisance

Super Shooter

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2006 March 22, 09:53:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Renatus

I do read what you wrote but you didn't read mine carefully.

"Bad critique can cause a person to stop creating, so no one should give critique to a creator, ever."
I didn't say that so pls stop putting words in my mouth.

Summarised version:
Most people give crap criticism that doesn't help creators in any way. Only if you are an expert or are good / know what you are doing/able to give constructive comments on how to help people to improve, then you are good enough to give critique. If not, pls don't give any otherwise you are not contributing to helping the creator in anyway. Comments such as "You sucks" are totally useless and should not count as constructive critique.

Go Away
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: