More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 22:29:38

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Vista and downloads
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Vista and downloads  (Read 11622 times)
ChibyMethos
Corpulent Cretin

Remember 9-11-2001

View Profile
Vista and downloads
« on: 2009 February 13, 03:18:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Much to my everlasting consternation, I was forced to get a new laptop, and it came equipped with the anti-christ . . . excuses me Vista.

Anyway, I've been trying to reload my game, and I cannot find my downloads folder. I'm not sure where it would be; I know the basegame created one on 2000 and XP, but I'm not totally sure where it is in Vista.

There is a 'user' folder instead of 'my docs' and that folder has two folders in it, one with my name, one marked public. Neither of them contain anything that says EA, Maxis, or The Sims 2.

Please help. Maybe I can't find it because I HATE VISTA SO F*CKING MUCH  Angry and am not looking hard enough, but I haven't played in 2 months and I'm going crazy!

All your base are belong to us.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Vista and downloads
« Reply #1 on: 2009 February 13, 03:29:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Reformat, reinstall XP. You should always reformat a new computer and install from a real CD anyway, not use the proprietary spyware crap.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009 February 13, 03:31:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I had to manually create one under my name folder. It's been a while since it set up Sims on Vista.

Docs>Assmitten>Sims2> DLs

I made Vista my bitch. If you want to be a whiny quitter like all the sad Ubuntu/Unix evangelists around here, then be my guest. Vista is like getting dumped in the Outback with nothing but a flip flop and some string. Props if you can take it. Godspeed, and don't sleep in the same room with it.

Pescado: I am hearing that a lot of systems will not "accept" XP after shipping with Vista. You will have driver problems up the ass. That's the coward's way anyhow. I am back to XP and Vista was better in a lot of ways. OH YES I DID.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
crunk
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009 February 13, 03:45:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Start ---> Documents OR Name ---> Documents ---> EA Games ---> The Sims 2. If you have no Downloads folder, you will need to create one, remembering to use a capital letter. If you do not have a Sims 2 folder at all, you have changed the destination path in installing and I have no clue where you may have put it.

Vista is good on a computer that can handle it. Just don't try to play the original Sims games.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009 February 13, 03:53:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado: I am hearing that a lot of systems will not "accept" XP after shipping with Vista. You will have driver problems up the ass.

Even if you wipe and reformat the system before rebuilding on XP?  Shouldn't be a problem if the system is totally clean.

Tribulatio proxima est
Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009 February 13, 03:59:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado: I am hearing that a lot of systems will not "accept" XP after shipping with Vista. You will have driver problems up the ass.

Even if you wipe and reformat the system before rebuilding on XP?  Shouldn't be a problem if the system is totally clean.

I tried. I guess I was not awesome enough. I asked some nerds, and they said they couldn't get it to work either. I dunno.

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009 February 13, 04:11:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I asked some nerds too, and sometimes you can't get motherboard, etc. drivers for the system if it was shipped with Vista - they just don't exist.  Sometimes XP is just not an option.
ChibyMethos
Corpulent Cretin

Remember 9-11-2001

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009 February 13, 04:13:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, one thing is for certain--I am NOT awesome enough to completely wipe and reload a  hard drive with a new OS, and I didn't have time at the time to do that. I was under a very strict deadline when the first laptop exploded in a fireball visible from space.

However, I will try what Assmitten suggested and see if that works.

If you want to be a whiny quitter like all the sad Ubuntu/Unix evangelists around here, then be my guest.

Um . . .yeah. No. My brother is one of these and I have to supress the urge to punch him in the brain when he starts raving about the Eeeeevillll Microsoft.  Roll Eyes

Vista is like getting dumped in the Outback with nothing but a flip flop and some string. Props if you can take it. Godspeed, and don't sleep in the same room with it.

I couldn't have said it better myself.  Cool

snapzit
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009 February 14, 20:48:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use Vista. It stores things differently than XP, but once I got used to it, it isn't so bad, other then it is a resource hog, kind of like a certain game I know....Taps foot and stares at the sky.

One thing I did notice is that I had no luck re-installing my old Sims 2 game into the new computer. Had to go and buy one that said "Vista". That said, most, if not all, of the EPs are Vista compatible now. During my less-than-awesome experience with a new operating system and the game itself, everything installed correctly and I now play on a fine new machine complete with resource hog feeding hardware.

Wiping and reinstalling an OS is a pain in the ass and takes eons.

What you may end up doing is starting your game over if you can't figure out where it is or if it is incompatible with Vista. I know, i know, no one wants to hear, much less DO that, but for me, well it worked way better than trying to figure out all the transition awfulness. After tussling with trying to transition, I threw up my hands and submitted to the OK I'll bend over now - and started over. I still had all my downloads - I hope you saved them - and simply created a new game using Vista. I've been playing on Vista for a year now with the new machine. The new computer renders terrific graphics.

If you can't find your downloads, get the game going first, with all the patches, EPs etc. Play it a little while without CC, then start incorporating your download folder )or if you still can't find it) downloading again. Organize your files whatever way works for you, and pay attention to download the ones that are associated with whatever EPs and stuff packs you have.

Stop trying to force the XP version on your Vista computer. It ain't gonna work. As for the remarks about Vista, all I can say is I distinctly remember similar remarks about XP until Microsoft fixed its bugs. Change is uncomfortable.

Perfected the golf clap here.

ENTP
Chasing Sanity
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009 February 15, 00:19:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had no issues installing my "XP" version of the game on Vista. I changed the compatibility in the programs properties to XP and installed the first patch. Also you don't get a download folder automatically unless you run bodyshop.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009 February 15, 07:29:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Pescado: I am hearing that a lot of systems will not "accept" XP after shipping with Vista. You will have driver problems up the ass. That's the coward's way anyhow. I am back to XP and Vista was better in a lot of ways. OH YES I DID.
I haven't heard this. You must be buying weird dodgy things. A system will always accept if you reformat it!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
SiuPang
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009 February 15, 11:42:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It takes time to get used to Vista... You may feel the OS starts a bit slow and it asks you a lot of questions concerning security issues. Infact, you can make it run faster by going to msconfig to choose which service to run and which not. You can also lower the security level but you will then put your computer at risk. If you are not good with computers, simply turn a deaf ear to me and bear with Vista Wink
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009 February 16, 10:50:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I asked some nerds too, and sometimes you can't get motherboard, etc. drivers for the system if it was shipped with Vista - they just don't exist.  Sometimes XP is just not an option.
This is why you don't BUY defective, buggy, shitware boxen.

ChibyMethos
Corpulent Cretin

Remember 9-11-2001

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2009 February 17, 20:30:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you can't find your downloads, get the game going first, with all the patches, EPs etc. Play it a little while without CC, then start incorporating your download folder )or if you still can't find it) downloading again. Organize your files whatever way works for you, and pay attention to download the ones that are associated with whatever EPs and stuff packs you have.

Stop trying to force the XP version on your Vista computer. It ain't gonna work. As for the remarks about Vista, all I can say is I distinctly remember similar remarks about XP until Microsoft fixed its bugs. Change is uncomfortable.

So far everything loaded fine, and I wasn't forcing it on. I do still have my old downloads folder, and as soon as I find my nightlife disk  Angry I want to play it clean, with only the default face replacements in.

And I liked XP as soon as it came out.

nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2009 February 19, 00:21:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The fastest way to get a working "Downloads" folder is to download one of the official EAxis downloads from their site.  Like the stuffed bunny.  This will create the folder.

On my Vista computer it's C:Users/Main/Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Downloads.  From the start menu, it's just Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Downloads.

Vista works fine for me, and even better with "Readyboost."  I got a nice 16 Gig flash drive for Christmas, so I could finally try it out.  It makes moving around the neighborhood less laggy.
BlueSoup
Super-Deformed Bobblehead
Vacuous Vegetable

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009 February 19, 00:23:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is why you don't BUY defective, buggy, shitware boxen.

As many times as I've told my mother this, she never ever listens!  And now she likes Vista.  Sheesh.
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2009 February 19, 14:27:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like my Vista, too.  And the fastest way to create the downloads folder is to just make a new folder, named...surprise!  Downloads.  Screw the EA site.
I had no problem whatsoever finding my game files and manipulating them to suit my needs.  Transferred all relevant files from old XP to new shiny Vista.  Am happily simming once again, with no lag, no god-awful load times.  I wish I would have transferred my game between computers months ago.  I have fish in my fishtanks again!  I can not possibly convey my happiness over this one little perk.
ChibyMethos
Corpulent Cretin

Remember 9-11-2001

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009 February 22, 01:54:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, like I said, I was able to find the folder and I put my default face replacements in and went into bodyshop. And it crashed. I have in everything except Nightlife, which I will have to borrow, so the coding for DL in folders should be there since I have everything after NL. I even took out the folder and bodyshop still crashes.

I'm more freaked out than annoyed at this point. I won't play the game until I have NL, but bodyshop should be okay. I'm trying to run it from M&G (x-mas gift, I didn't buy), but no luck.

Since my computer came with the HD split, I checked to see if maybe I accedently loaded a game on the wrong drive, but everything is in C.

Clearly, I am made of fail. Sad

EDIT:

Here are the error messages that Vista produced.

Product
The Sims 2 Body Shop

Problem
Stopped responding and was closed

Date
2/22/2009 13:25

Status
Not Reported

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:   AppHangB1
Application Name:   TS2BodyShop.exe
Application Version:   1.17.0.66
Application Timestamp:   48f131d9
Hang Signature:   a6ac
Hang Type:   0
OS Version:   6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID:   1033
Additional Hang Signature 1:   ad35c83b8e51c188e3a24d17296d0ba3
Additional Hang Signature 2:   d291
Additional Hang Signature 3:   db952d169c73def5adcaeaa05361729f
Additional Hang Signature 4:   a6ac
Additional Hang Signature 5:   ad35c83b8e51c188e3a24d17296d0ba3
Additional Hang Signature 6:   d291
Additional Hang Signature 7:   db952d169c73def5adcaeaa05361729f

And here's the other:

Product
The Sims 2 Body Shop

Problem
Stopped responding and was closed

Date
2/22/2009 13:35

Status
Not Reported

Description
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name:   AppTermFailureEvent
OS Version:   6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID:   1033

Files that help describe the problem
TS2BodyShop.exe.atk.kdmp
TS2BodyShop.exe.xml
Version.txt

I'm not sure if that helps. I have pictures too if need be.
« Last Edit: 2009 February 23, 04:18:28 by ChibyMethos » Logged

nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2009 February 23, 07:57:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You used the Bodyshop under Mansions and Gardens?  It's a long shot, but try using the one under Apartment Life.  M&G is in a grey area between stuff pack and expansion pack, so maybe the AL Bodyshop will work for you.
rosemary
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2009 February 23, 14:41:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have no problems with vista and my EA downloads folder is in Documents  find it on yyour start menue in the Grey area  not public and I  succefully transfered my XP game. I did download directx 9   from microsoft and have 9 and 10 on my computer this can help run older programmes
I have all expansions and have had no problems . You can speed things up by taking off administrater rights if you dont need them. I remember when XP came in and I took some time for people to get use to .
Vista has improved with service pack one . Huh Roll Eyes
Mooingloudly
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2009 February 24, 04:37:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've not had any problems with Vista and my downloads folder. It is a peculiar operating system, of course I consider anything other than ME a step up. ME was completely rubbish. I can't really comment on XP versus Vista only because I struggled along on Windows ME for 7 years. Now, I shall back away slowly before the gasps of horror begin. Generally my body shop takes FOREVER to load. But I'd imagine that has something to do with my scary downloads folder that I'm currently trying to organize.  The M&G Body Shop is the one I use, I keep a short cut to it on my desk top so I don't accidentally chose the wrong one.
ChibyMethos
Corpulent Cretin

Remember 9-11-2001

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2009 February 24, 06:06:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You used the Bodyshop under Mansions and Gardens?  It's a long shot, but try using the one under Apartment Life. 

Usually, I use the bodyshop from the newest SP or EP that I have in. I did try using the AL bodyshop, with the same results. I think I may have to uninstall the whole works and reinstall in and see if that helps. I've never had this may problems before with what is -- for all intents and purposes-- a vanilla game.  Undecided

Though, I'm wondering if I may have to rebuy all the games, since Vista wasn't out when they were released, or if there is something I can add to Vista to make it backwards compatible.

Chasing Sanity
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2009 February 25, 02:24:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Right click on the icon for the base game. Go to compatibility. Tick the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for". Select XP and whatever service pack.
nocomment
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2009 February 25, 02:37:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You don't have to repurchase the games.  I have Vista, and my old copies work fine.  I bought the base game the day it came out.  So that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm sorry I can't be more help.  Reinstalling everything is worth a try.
snowbawl
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2009 February 25, 17:27:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you try firing up Body Shop without the face replacements?  Did you fire up Body Shop while connected to the internet with an antivirus protection program on?  Do you have securom?  Do you have enough gigs of memory and a competent processor to run both the Vista hog and the TS2 hog?  Craptops aren't known for their gaming abilities, you know.
Your problem is definitely not in the installation of TS2 original copies.  I installed all my EPs just fine...and yes, I bought TS2 when it came out.  The game has no problems going from XP to Vista.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: