More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 14, 00:46:27

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Moved mailboxes & trashcans
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Moved mailboxes & trashcans  (Read 12426 times)
Tyraa Rane
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Moved mailboxes & trashcans
« on: 2007 February 02, 08:03:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Quick question: I downloaded a lot from MTS2 and, in opening it yesterday to clean out some furnishings, noticed that the builder had moved the mailbox and trashcan (and evidently spawned a second trashcan somehow) away from their usual places. Now, I don't know anything about the trashcans, but I do know that moving the mailbox is probably a Very Bad Thing, given that it controls portals...

So, what I'm wondering is--is there any serious harm in leaving them where they are? Should I move them back to the curb? Or should I just nuke the lot altogether?
Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
Re: Moved mailboxes & trashcans
« Reply #1 on: 2007 February 02, 08:32:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sometimes the mail boxes or the trash canes block the way to the sims who come from work and from school.
I move them with "moveobjects on" to another place, even near the door,  but if I am going to buldoze the house, I move them back to an uncontrolled place, change to "moveobjects off" and buldoze the house.
Till now I didn't have any problems.
« Last Edit: 2007 February 04, 13:23:10 by gali » Logged
kewian
Great White Whale
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 February 02, 08:47:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The trashcan is probably ok where they put it so you can leave it alone.  Im not sure what to advise about the mailbox...I never touch mine-I don't like taking chances with that.  I've never heard of having a second trashcan. CC , perhaps? or a replacement one? I've heard of people placing the garbage cans in their houses..although that sounds gross and unattractive to me.

jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 February 02, 09:23:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never had a problem with the trashcan being moved, and it actually helps by making it harder for the trashcan kickers to get to it. Smiley But I do believe that the mailbox has to be somewhere along that strip between the sidewalk and the street, or things can get wonky on the lot.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
LoveStainedHeart
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007 February 02, 09:27:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've never had any problems at all moving my mailbox. I keep it by the door so if the house is far back from the road my sims don't have to walk very far to pay the bills. I've never noticed anything wonky in doing so...
Tyraa Rane
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2007 February 02, 09:32:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

've never heard of having a second trashcan. CC , perhaps? or a replacement one?

I've never heard of a second trashcan, either. But it's not CC--I install all my downloaded lots with the Clean Installer, and all it installed with this lot was the lot itself, no CC. So I'm not sure where the extra trashcan came from.

Looks like I'll be moving the mailbox back where it belongs, at least, though--I'd like to avoid future wonkiness.
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 February 02, 09:36:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have moved the trash can and the mailbox since...well, since I started building lots. I have never had any kind of trouble with the lot. The only thing that happens that is not normal is the taxi drops the family near the mailbox when they move in. Other than that, nothing. I have no portal trouble, they can still get their mail, and everything else that is mail box related.

I don't see what the big deal is, but if you think it will cause problems with your game, then delete the lot.

And if you are talking about a lot by plasticbox, that extra trash can is not CC. I think he uses some unlocked objects.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 February 02, 11:33:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can get trash cans and mailboxes in a collection from http://daydream.etowns.net/

This is useful if you are changing lot zoning, or if a mailbox or trash can gets deleted accidentally. I recommend having it installed, since the game does occassionally kill vital objects for no apparent reason. I've had the mailbox poof out of existance several times.

Fail.
Weaver
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 February 02, 12:36:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you leave the facing 180 degrees clear and accessable, you shouldn't really have any problems. I've only ever experienced problems if the mailbox is closley located adjacent to walls or fences (possibly the Captain Hero carpool causing the problem, as the Sim needs to reside to the side for the carpool flying animation). With that said, I always move the trash can and mailbox on lots.

The Backdoor Lane lots are awesome, I have a new hood specifically with those. Hopefully plasticbox will create more community lots though. Tongue

If you don't want multiple trash cans (I had problems with sims favouring a single bin and walking great miles to make use of it), Windkeeper made decorative fake objects which are equally as effective.
Available here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=153293. The mailbox recolours are also good: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=151949.
On TSR, there is a similar set of recolours which you can apply in-game with the design tool instead of only a single replacement file found on MTS2.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 February 02, 13:22:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On a similar topic... does anyone know of an invisible trash can recolor? I'd love to have one.

Fail.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 February 02, 13:28:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think it would be weird to see Sims dropping garbage and have it just disappear...
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 February 02, 13:37:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, and then how would you know if someone kicked it over?

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Tyraa Rane
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 February 02, 13:39:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I tend not to notice the visible trashcans have been knocked over until the roaches show up, so...  Wink
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 February 02, 13:40:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

*laughs*

Yeah, me too.

And we all know that Pescado moves his trashcan to the kitchen, because it never needs to be emptied.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
Baronetess
TaWanda
Nitwitted Nuisance

stolen from obsessiveicons@livejournal

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 February 02, 16:44:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On a similar topic... does anyone know of an invisible trash can recolor? I'd love to have one.
I have one. I love it! Visible trashcans on the curb look horrible in pics. I don't spend a lot of time watching my sims take out the garbage so the fact that it just disappears into a void doesn't bother me.  Cheesy
 It's from targa at MTS2
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2007 February 02, 21:27:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

And we all know that Pescado moves his trashcan to the kitchen, because it never needs to be emptied.
Actually, I leave the trashcan more or less where it is, preferrably pre-kicked. With the trashcan pre-kicked, it can no longer fall over and create a garbage pile (despite nothing having ever been put in it), and can never be kicked again. Then I use bogarted community lot trashcans from ownable businesses, which never need emptying, and put them in places where trash MIGHT theoretically occur, like the kitchen.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2007 February 03, 00:22:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I leave the trashcan more or less where it is, preferrably pre-kicked. With the trashcan pre-kicked, it can no longer fall over and create a garbage pile (despite nothing having ever been put in it), and can never be kicked again. Then I use bogarted community lot trashcans from ownable businesses, which never need emptying, and put them in places where trash MIGHT theoretically occur, like the kitchen.

Ooh! Cheaty! Cheesy

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2007 February 03, 00:23:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Silly Emma. It's entirely legitimate to do. You can buy community lot trashcans if you own a business. From there, you can stuff them into your inventory. Tongue

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
V
Senator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 February 03, 09:27:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

But then how can you make your sims sick without cheating?

I want people to stop saying, "Son of a bitch". Instead we should say "Son of an ASS" because that is more accurate. Spread the word!

Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 February 03, 12:09:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Low logic Sims using the science career reward tend to misuse it and get sick from that.
gethane
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2007 February 04, 05:57:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Low logic Sims using the science career reward tend to misuse it and get sick from that.

Is that the "mysterious illness" that seems to cause waking from sleep and plummeting bladder and hygiene? I've got the goddamned plague in my neighborhood and I just canNOT get rid of it.

Gethane Sims
Maxis only lots, neighborhood terrains, and more!
MistyBlue
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 February 04, 07:34:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Me, too! I have a doctor sim who was working in his lab and he suddenly came down with the mysterious illness. He has since infected the entire neighborhood. Every time I cure a sim, someone else gives it to them. I've cured the doctor 6 times, but the plague is already too out of control! I may need to quarantine the town and drop a bomb soon.
Flamingo
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 February 04, 07:37:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, yes, it is the supposed mysterious illness. I don't believe that its effects are consistent, though. I've had Sims come down with said "mysterious illness" and get better within a few hours. Actually, I can't remember the last time I had a Sim that got sick.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2007 February 04, 08:26:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You could use TwoJeffs' visitor controller to prevent visitors from coming until you have a chance to play each house and root out the problem.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 February 04, 11:23:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Unfortunately, that still leaves the question of what to do with infected townies...  as soon as you cure your playables and lift the quarantine, the townies will start another epidemic.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: