More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 04, 15:00:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540271 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  you should meet my therapist
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: you should meet my therapist  (Read 15891 times)
SnootCB
Irritating Ignoramus

my cat is moar awesome than u

View Profile
you should meet my therapist
« on: 2008 November 19, 05:21:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is partly amusing and partly worrying:

So, besides the potential for LOLs, what would happen if I clicked "yes"?  I didn't, but is this so-called normal game behaviour, or am I looking at losing the neighborhood already?
Emma
Goopy Lover
Dead Member

All Pescados Suck.

View Profile WWW
Re: you should meet my therapist
« Reply #1 on: 2008 November 19, 05:50:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, my sim has been offered Toddler New Years' number. It's normal, if a little screwed up Tongue

Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 November 19, 08:44:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yikes. Yeah, normal but screwed up is right.

Haven't played any AL, but are my suspicions right that they got the Q/A dialog backwards? The question is, "Do you mind?" Answering "Yes" should mean they don't hand over your number. Did they actually get this right, or does "Yes" tell them to make the hook-up?

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 2008 November 19, 11:31:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm repeatedly offered Pollination Technician's number. If it is a bonus for Sims with good reputation, DO NOT WANT.
Sims in Default family should not be offered as new contacts. Not sure if it's an EAxian bork or a tight pants issue though.

leaths
Corpulent Cretin

Groovy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 November 19, 12:56:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It happened to me, and with General Buzz too. Maybe the townies know something we only suspected.

Edit for Liz's question: I figured that it was poor wording and hit "no." The Therapist didn't show so I hope that was the right way to go.
Zazazu
Fuzzy Pumpkin
Whiny Wussy

Potiron flou

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 November 19, 16:30:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had Tour Guide offered. I figure since you're not supposed to summon them, you shouldn't accept.

Capitalism, Ho!
"Continue to beat it in masturbatory ecstasy if you like, but only Pescado can make it go away." - Lemmiwinks
My Urinal
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 November 19, 19:44:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sim has been a good girl this year:

Another sim had a wedding guest try to set her up on a blind date during her wedding.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Magicmoon
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 November 19, 20:04:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I figured that it was poor wording and hit "no." The Therapist didn't show so I hope that was the right way to go.

Is someone supposed to show up with this dialog? I've had the other dialog where a date drops out of the sky if you say yes, but I thought this dialog was to put your number into the hands of a Sim who will start bugging calling you.

I said yes to the question (a normal Sim was offered at the time). No one showed up and no one called either. So I'm not sure which way to answer this question either. My thinking at the time was that Maxis would make the "yes" answer complete the transaction while a "no" answer would do nothing.

Running: Sims2, University, Nightlife, OFB, Pets, Seasons, BV, FT and AL
SnootCB
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008 November 19, 20:50:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

According to the Prima Guide (so take this with a grain of salt):

Three hours after the introduction (or three hours after your sim returns home from the Community lot), a new unknown townie sim calls to introduce him- or herself.  Initial relationship will be higher than usual.

I'm pretty sure "yes" in this case means, "yes, please introduce me to this new sim" rather than "yes, I do mind, so go away" which would be more grammatically correct.  Sometimes I wish English had a negative yes/positive no word like some other languages, but even if we did EA would probably screw that up too.

Edit:
Actually, I thought about it a bit more, and it is technically correct in most cases to answer both positive and negative versions of a yes/no question in the same way.  So "does Pescado like Emma?" and "doesn't Pescado like Emma?" would have the same yes/no answer.  I don't know if this is the case with a "do you mind if ___ ?" type question, though.  Anyone of you more grammar-oriented people know which is the better answer in this case?  I hope this isn't too off-topic.
« Last Edit: 2008 November 19, 21:10:31 by SnootCB » Logged
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 November 20, 04:27:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, the actual question is; "do you mind...?"

Yes you mind, don't do it; or no, you don't mind, please go ahead.

I suspect EAxis have done it the other way round though.
« Last Edit: 2008 November 20, 05:37:33 by witch » Logged

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
SaraMK
Nefarious!
Terrible Twerp

Playing again.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 November 20, 04:48:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In real life it annoys me when people answer "Do you mind?" type questions with "Sure."

Fail.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 November 20, 17:38:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, they probably "could care less".  Tongue

Tribulatio proxima est
Liz
Stupid Schlemiel

Li'l Shiv will totally cut a bitch.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2008 November 20, 19:25:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I thought about it a bit more, and it is technically correct in most cases to answer both positive and negative versions of a yes/no question in the same way.  So "does Pescado like Emma?" and "doesn't Pescado like Emma?" would have the same yes/no answer.  I don't know if this is the case with a "do you mind if ___ ?" type question, though.  Anyone of you more grammar-oriented people know which is the better answer in this case?  I hope this isn't too off-topic.
Too off-topic? Dude, there's always room for Jell-o grammar!

Despite common (mis-)usage, "Does A like B?" is not linguistically the same question as "Doesn't A like B?". The second question is asking, "Is it not true that A likes B?" So you would answer that, yes, it is not true, or that, no, it's true. This seems bass-ackwards, but it's answering the question as it was asked.

Assuming A likes B:
Does A like B? Yes, he does.
Doesn't A like B? No, he does.

Doesn't 'shoe' rhyme with 'paper'? Yes, it does not rhyme. Doesn't a hat go on the head? No, it does go on the head.

These grammatical constructs are largely ignored, however, so most people will take "Doesn't it?" to mean, "It does, right?" and answer the question affirmatively. Similarly, people will frequently answer "Do you mind?" incorrectly. While its intent is the same as asking, "Is it okay with you?", the question itself is not the same. For this reason, when someone asks me, "Isn't he going?" I'll probably answer, "He's going," instead of just saying Yes or No so that everybody's clear. I opt for clarity over succinctness.

Regarding the dialog above, as witch indicated, the question being asked isn't whether it's okay; it's asking whether you mind. These questions should receive different answers.
Is it okay? Yes.
Do you mind? No.

If answering 'Yes' means they give out your number, the game has it wrong. 'Yes' means you do mind; you would prefer they NOT hand over your number. So as you mentioned, it's a 'Yes' that means 'No'. This is one of the reasons I'm coming to appreciate the linguistic simplicity of Cantonese. Yes/No questions are asked as multiple choice. Answer by circling the correct one. "You want/not want go?" "Not want."

GAAAAAAAAAHHH! *runs, screaming, into the night*

"It is always useful to face an enemy who is prepared to die for his country. This means that both you and he have exactly the same aim in mind." -General Tacticus
rufio
Non-Standard
Uncouth Undesirable

More Nonstandard Than You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 2008 November 20, 19:51:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Doesn't ....? is a special question form which expects a positive answer.  In case you were wondering, English is not the only language that uses a negative morpheme to mark that.  Real negative questions have a different word order:  Does A not like B?  Does shoe not rhyme with paper?  Or, there's always the method of saying a negative sentence with question intonation, as when expecting confirmation or clarification: A doesn't like B?

I was thinking about these things and I am a feminist.

NothingToSee
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 November 20, 20:13:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Now THAT is one of my pet peeves. I cringe every time I read that particular phrase.
Sometimes I point out why it is wrong, but I tend to get called a Grammar Nazi for my trouble.  Cheesy
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 November 20, 20:37:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Newly developed peeve of mine:

People that say "That's funny" instead of laughing.

I was trapped in a car with one of these people for a straight 24 hours. I welcomed the sweet release of this person falling asleep.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
funkilla
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2008 November 21, 02:39:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Too off-topic? Dude, there's always room for Jell-o grammar!

Despite common (mis-)usage, "Does A like B?" is not linguistically the same question as "Doesn't A like B?". The second question is asking, "Is it not true that A likes B?" So you would answer that, yes, it is not true, or that, no, it's true. This seems bass-ackwards, but it's answering the question as it was asked.

Assuming A likes B:
Does A like B? Yes, he does.
Doesn't A like B? No, he does.

Doesn't 'shoe' rhyme with 'paper'? Yes, it does not rhyme. Doesn't a hat go on the head? No, it does go on the head.

These grammatical constructs are largely ignored, however, so most people will take "Doesn't it?" to mean, "It does, right?" and answer the question affirmatively. Similarly, people will frequently answer "Do you mind?" incorrectly. While its intent is the same as asking, "Is it okay with you?", the question itself is not the same. For this reason, when someone asks me, "Isn't he going?" I'll probably answer, "He's going," instead of just saying Yes or No so that everybody's clear. I opt for clarity over succinctness.

Regarding the dialog above, as witch indicated, the question being asked isn't whether it's okay; it's asking whether you mind. These questions should receive different answers.
Is it okay? Yes.
Do you mind? No.

If answering 'Yes' means they give out your number, the game has it wrong. 'Yes' means you do mind; you would prefer they NOT hand over your number. So as you mentioned, it's a 'Yes' that means 'No'. This is one of the reasons I'm coming to appreciate the linguistic simplicity of Cantonese. Yes/No questions are asked as multiple choice. Answer by circling the correct one. "You want/not want go?" "Not want."

GAAAAAAAAAHHH! *runs, screaming, into the night*

It's grammar like this that makes my head spin because English isn't my first language. But I like to think I speak and understand it fairly well.

I had the Therapist one a lot. Didn't have Santa Klaus or Toddler New Year. I usually accept though. And I get these two girls in the pink dresses with the big red/pink pendent necklaces always trying to hook me up with their friends, and the blind date literally falls out of the sky.
What was weird though is that I had a Social Bunny come to my Sim while they were asleep. He juggled, and the Sim's social meter went up, even though he was asleep.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 November 21, 08:38:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was trapped in a car with one of these people for a straight 24 hours. I welcomed the sweet release of this person falling asleep.
What exactly were you doing to be stuck in the car with this person? Were you stuck buried in the snow or something?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Jelenedra
The New "Gay"
Whiny Wussy

Evil Mastermind BehindTorturing Emo 12s

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2008 November 21, 16:06:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Road trip to Colorado for one of Mr. Vulture's shows.  Lips sealed

I drove most of the way back home just so this person would SLEEP and not talk to me.

Quote from: reggikko
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
Why are all these damn hippies on my website?
We are on your forum, taking over your world and making your children gay.
PirateFaafy
Horrible Halfwit

INTJ and a bouble

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2008 November 22, 14:45:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

According to the Prima Guide (so take this with a grain of salt):

Three hours after the introduction (or three hours after your sim returns home from the Community lot), a new unknown townie sim calls to introduce him- or herself.  Initial relationship will be higher than usual.

I'm pretty sure "yes" in this case means, "yes, please introduce me to this new sim" rather than "yes, I do mind, so go away" which would be more grammatically correct.  Sometimes I wish English had a negative yes/positive no word like some other languages, but even if we did EA would probably screw that up too.

Edit:

Actually, I recall believing that EAxis had been dumb and simply worded it improperly, so I answered it with the opposite of my intent with regards to grammar. I believe I ended up being wrong - as in, EAxis actually got it right, which was unexpected. Especially given the relative 12ness of the userbase.

I will fuck up your face in Denmark! COME! you also seem to be a flock of crapped nerds! COME! [...] That one goes to all of those retarrds that pretend to be a non-fag and yet suck my balls
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2008 November 22, 14:50:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I drove most of the way back home just so this person would SLEEP and not talk to me.
It sounds like you haven't quite mastered the art of killing conversation.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
lurklurklurk
Asinine Airhead

Good Witch Cat knowz ur secretz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2008 November 23, 08:29:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had the Human Statue come up as one of the people you can chat with on the internet on my sim's computer. If my sim actually chatted with him, would it blow up my game? Is there any way of preventing object-like people from doing these kinds of things?

I:87.6% N:63.9% T:77.8% P:75%
Moar P than you
Gastfyr
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2008 November 23, 17:39:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had issues in the past where the "can my friend come over too?" turned out to be a carpool driver.  So, yeah, "there are no actions available".  Unfortunately, he liked to sit down and play chess with someone already playing and also have a drink at the bar with others who were already having drinks, so my playable met him and built enough STR to start rolling wants to be friends with this non-intreactive sim.  Couldn't call him on the phone or anything, so it was a wasted want slot until he finally gave up on that unfulfillable want.

TS3: it's really cool if you don't look too closely! - bottles
SnootCB
Irritating Ignoramus

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2008 November 23, 17:48:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Same here, Gastfyr, except that it wasn't a friend bringing along another friend, it was a playbable brining one home from work.  She just sat down to play chess and would not leave until I deleted the chess table out from under her.  That was back when I first installed FT, though, and I think maybe a patch or hack fix stopped that nonsense.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: