Please help me fix this BS

<< < (8/15) > >>

witch:
I've gone from '98 lite to XP. I will have to go to 7 when I make a new machine, but for now, it's fine. Windoze mostly behaves itself for me and I mostly know how to fix stuff. MAC OSs are really pretty, but all the bouncing and zinging and 'OMG, look at me' stuff make me want to smack it.

Narmy:
Quote from: BaronElectricPhase on 2011 April 15, 19:41:05

What's the trick?  dunno...  <shrug>
I can only guess that it's because I have always used an over-sized swap file, instead of a system managed swap file.

Nah. You don't even technically need the page file if you have enough RAM (8GB+), but of course it's nice to have in certain situations. I recommend leaving it on system managed, or you're just wasting hard drive space.

Skadi:
My current set of issues related to 7 thinking I didn't have authority to change certain folders on a secondary drive. After trying to set permissions and having fun in safe mode I took the easy way out and reformatted the damn drive. In my experience people who do normal day to day things on their PC don't normally have issues. It's when you start trying to kludge stuff and get certain programs to do different things that you get to really mess with the OS. Plus it is also fun trying to fix win 7 machines that my customers break.

saraswati:
Quote from: cannedsarcasm on 2011 April 15, 04:32:29

Macs are like FWD/SUVs.

For every informed decision made RE: owning one and using one, there's a dozen folk who have one because they're shiny.

I work with Windows all day every day. I work in tech support for a living with a generally Computer-illiterate user base. After four years of supporting Windows machines, I went out and bought a Mac laptop and I haven't regretted it for a moment. I've still got my Windows pc which runs Windows 7, but I use my Mac for everything barring gaming. Macs aren't great for gaming but if someone is only a casual player, it seems pointless to have a second machine just for gaming if you're happy using your Mac for everything else.

We place far too much emphasis on the Mac Vs Windows debate and it's largely nonsense. Mac, Windows and Linux each have their own strengths and weaknesses. Linux is outstanding from a security point of view, if it matters to you to be able to upgrade your graphics card/RAM etc, it's much better to buy a Windows machine and Macs are extremely easy to use for creative tasks. IMHO, people should do some research before they get their machine and buy the machine that suits their needs.

But as to your comment about Mac users liking them because they are "shiny", I haven't met a Mac owner who has bought their machine for that reason. Most Mac users buy them because they're easy to use and they don't want to waste time figuring out how to use a machine when it's not their priority, which is their right. Computers are not an endurance test and it is not a badge of honour to struggle with an OS or a piece of software because someone tells them that they "should" do so.

Seqkat:
Quote from: saraswati on 2011 April 18, 09:22:16

But as to your comment about Mac users liking them because they are "shiny", I haven't met a Mac owner who has bought their machine for that reason. Most Mac users buy them because they're easy to use and they don't want to waste time figuring out how to use a machine when it's not their priority, which is their right. Computers are not an endurance test and it is not a badge of honour to struggle with an OS or a piece of software because someone tells them that they "should" do so.

While I am not particularly interested in getting involved in the whole debate, here is some more super-useful anecdotal evidence for you: I have in fact several friends who will happily admit that they bought their Macs because they were 'pretty' or 'looked more fun' -> shiny. If you don't really know what you need a computer for, or indeed you know that you don't need it for something like gaming, and so aren't really looking into specs etc., it is very easy to make choices based on marketing or something as simple as which product you prefer the look of. The fact that you don't know anyone who has done that doesn't really mean anything at all - it is a recognisable effect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page