More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 17:02:14

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  multiple layers in pets -- will it cause problems later on ...
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: multiple layers in pets -- will it cause problems later on ...  (Read 3816 times)
amjoie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
multiple layers in pets -- will it cause problems later on ...
« on: 2006 October 27, 12:42:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As I started trying to "fix" the really bad examples of breeds that EA Games made, like the "Goopy-Poodle," (go here to download my much improved version of poodle: http://www.virtualpetz.net/id21.html) I realised I was using several layers per pet. So far, I've got little Cocker Spaniel type small dogs, a sort of small Scottie/Terrierish dog, a large sort of spotted long haired setter/spaniel, an Abyssinian and Tonkinese that more closely resemble actual cat breeds, etc. And I'll be posting them on my site, soon. They are all much better than EA Games breeds. Of course, that doesn't take much. BUT ....

Now, my question is, will using several layers per pet eventually become a problem for the game? I am assuming that pets are like other sims, in that they never actually disappear. So, when they die, do the layers evaporate or does the information have to be stored with the pet for potential ressurection? And if so, will deleting a pet tombstone delete the extraneous layer info? Just how much added info are the layers, and will it even be a burden to the game?

If someone could look into the bowels of the game and tell me if I should be very careful with how many layers per pet (and keep track of the number to post on my site like they do for meshes), or if I can just have fun with my artistic "painting" using layers without any fear, I would really appreciate it.

For every King, there is a Queen ....
Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
Re: multiple layers in pets -- will it cause problems later on ...
« Reply #1 on: 2006 October 27, 20:40:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have no idea if the layers will cause problems down the road or not but I will have to remember to keep an eye on your site for the cat breeds you plan to do  Cheesy

btw I know Minibyte too  Grin  my poor petz are all in folders stored away.
amjoie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 October 28, 00:46:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Then you may want to take a peek at my site right about now.  Wink

BTW: In the petz world, it's hard *not* to know Minibyte. Grin I love her website.  Isn't it great to have your petz, and your pets, too?  LOL

Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 October 28, 01:07:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wonderful! I'll be downloading them in just a few mins!

yes that is true about Minibyte (I'll never forget the hours I spent emailing her a bunch of my hexed breeds - with really crappy dialup it was hell) and Carolyn Horn also! I made so many hexed breeds with tons of color choices thanks to what Carolyn taught me *laughs* I haven't played Petz since I got hooked on TS2 though so I'm really glad my sims can have pets now  Cheesy
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 October 28, 04:53:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If someone could look into the bowels of the game and tell me if I should be very careful with how many layers per pet (and keep track of the number to post on my site like they do for meshes), or if I can just have fun with my artistic "painting" using layers without any fear, I would really appreciate it.
Layering seems harmless. Maxis has used for some breeds about a dozen layers. The impact on character file size is minimal, since it's not actually storing every single layer's texture: You can only choose from preset textures anyway, so the game merely needs to store what you chose from the selections.

However, it *WILL* cause a processing hit to use a lot, so I wouldn't fill a lot with 30 15-layer pets.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 October 28, 04:57:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

However, it *WILL* cause a processing hit to use a lot, so I wouldn't fill a lot with 30 15-layer pets.

That sucks. Tongue
amjoie
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 October 28, 12:21:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Layering seems harmless. Maxis has used for some breeds about a dozen layers. The impact on character file size is minimal, since it's not actually storing every single layer's texture: You can only choose from preset textures anyway, so the game merely needs to store what you chose from the selections.

Well, that's good news about no long term problems, but not so good news about the processing.

I did a quick check on the cats for layers and the Himilayan cat breed that came with the game is 24 layers. That's probably tops. But any cat with boots, additional leg color, and facial markings is going to be up there in layers, especially if it has pink ears.

The dogs are not slouches, either. The Australian Cattle Dog is 21 layers. The Rottie is 12, and the Collie 16, the Aussie is 18. These are all EA Games default breeds.

So, I don't feel so bad. Here are my layer stats:

Dogs:

AMjoie Poodles change by color, but range from 1 (blue) to 5 (blush apricot)

AMjoie Chocolate Lady Julie Spaniel  9
AMjoie Lilac Lady Julie Spaniel 10

AMjoie Liver Rolf Setter, both miniature and standard   8   (will be uploaded soon)

AMjoie Black Jacque Terrier  2   (will be uploaded soon)

Cats:

AMjoie Tonkinese  5

AMjoie Aby  15

AMjoie Silver Snowshoe  15
AMjoie Lilac Snowshoe   19

Since my highest, the Lilac Snowshoe, has as many markings as the EA Games default Himilayan but is 5 fewer layers, I don't feel bad at all. I've been frugal.  LOL

LauraW
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 October 28, 19:36:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Your pets are wonderful! I have a red Aby and your version is so much better than the Maxis version. I tried creating one and its fine but not as good as yours. I also made a copy of my gray Siberian kitty and I like the way that one turned out. Smiley  Thank you for making yours available for our use.
Ambular
Cheese Nazi
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 October 29, 00:41:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Heh, I wondered when someone else was going to mention Petz.  My kid and I have been putzing around with them on and off since the original version came out...

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.
My Sims 2 Stuff @  MTS | Populate My City
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: