More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 13, 22:59:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  I got the dreaded squigly lines in thought bubbles
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: I got the dreaded squigly lines in thought bubbles  (Read 32115 times)
Kestran
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
I got the dreaded squigly lines in thought bubbles
« on: 2005 October 31, 20:53:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I got Nightlife and I installed Nightlife patch. I don't have any hacks installed except the figthclub, the noretiredjobspam, coffeecuphack, and EatMoreTalkLess v2 by Crammyboy.

So I guess I need either the deathfix or the nocorruptdeath fix...which one do I need? And do they work even after I have gotten that squigly lines?

Kestran.
KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
Re: I got the dreaded squigly lines in thought bubbles
« Reply #1 on: 2005 October 31, 22:12:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I had the squiggly lines, JM advised me to use the nocorruptdeath fix. I haven't seen the dreaded squiggles since *knock wood*.

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
MokeyHokey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 November 01, 02:38:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have.  This week.  In two separate brand new, shiny neighborhoods, post patch, all expansions, and nocorruptdeath installed. 

I used 'deleteallcharacters' and spawned new ones with debug tree.

Incidentally, since these ARE shiny new neighborhoods, there have been no deaths, either.

I do not play with RC car.

Any more ideas on where I can look for this lovely bit of corruption?

Edited to add the image.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: 2005 November 01, 03:02:48 by MokeyHokey » Logged
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

Now with new and improved avatar!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 November 01, 02:40:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Funny I just saw this and lo and behold somebody else posted about the same thing.

It seems to only happen when they do the "bad mouth" interaction. Inicdentially I also have the fightclub mod in my game.
twojeffs
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2005 November 01, 03:02:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Looks like a new bug for someone to try to track down...

Can anyone else confirm that it's only with the 'Bad Mouth' interaction, or are you seeing it with others?
MokeyHokey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 November 01, 03:04:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine (as evidenced by above added image) is occuring as a regular thought bubble. I've seen it in "look out window", whatever that nanny is thinking of, and as gossip so far. Sad
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 November 01, 03:13:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've seen it in the "bad mouth" interaction as well. The sim that was being badmouthed had just been teleported off the lot.
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 November 01, 03:24:24 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I've seen it once since NL in my Legacy Neighbourhood which only has 3 families in it.  I hadn't had anybody bad mouth but it was just after my first founder died.  One of the sims was thinking of... squiggly lines!

(Can't remember if I had the nocorruptdeath fix at the time though) Undecided

<insert witty comment here>
Countess
MsMaria
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 November 01, 03:25:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I had the squiggly lines in thought bubbles after Mrs. CrumpleBottom was accidently bitten by the Grand Vamp (didn't see it happen, she just showed up downtown as a vamp one day). After rewriting the object file, the problem cleared up.
« Last Edit: 2005 November 01, 05:04:14 by MsMaria » Logged

Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?<br />Nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
twojeffs
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 2005 November 01, 03:33:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm. Well, the nanny in the picture is complaining about an object. So it's not completely limited to memories and may be more than one bug, or as MsMaria mentioned, it may just be a hosed objects.package file.
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 November 01, 03:39:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I checked my objects.package file. Last modified ddate is sept. 30th, when I installed the patch. So mine is fine at least.
Qwiggles
Corpulent Cretin

We are all just monkeys...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 November 01, 03:43:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I get the squiggly lines during the bad mouthing although not all the time.  It seems like the same sims who have had this will always get it during bad mouthing while the sims that have never had the squiggly lines will only show the icon of the sim being bad mouthed and nothing else, that is, no squiggly lines.  I've tried it with or without nocorruptdeath.  Good thing is, I don't get the squiggly lines with gossiping anymore.  I've also checked my objects.package and it's set to read only so it's still the same file since I installed the patch.  
It's really driving me nuts because on the one hand, I want to keep checking each sim to figure out a pattern.  Yet on the other hand, if it was like the same problem from before, I'm afraid of spreading it around the neighborhood and might have everyone getting the "squigglies" sooner or later.   Undecided

Mooooo
MokeyHokey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 November 01, 03:43:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine is October 10, which I think is around the time I installed the patch. Did the patch modify the objects package?
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 November 01, 03:45:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes it did.
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005 November 01, 04:20:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Mine is October 10, which I think is around the time I installed the patch. Did the patch modify the objects package?
I think it copied the objects file off CD2, which is why it asked to insert it, and set it as read-only.  I think this is what Maxoid Tom said.  I have the corrupt death fix and I went through and got rid of all corrupt death memories that had occurred before I put in the fix.  These memories were missing the $Subject, so when they gossiped, the game didn't know whose icon to display.  I've seen some of my sims get this squiggly lines in their thought bubbles while scanning with the scanner gun.  I am not sure if it only happens when they are learning with an instructor, but the two cases that I clearly remember were with an instructor.  I saw the squiggly lines one other time, and it didn't have to do with either death memories or the scanner gun.  I forget now what the memory was, but I was able to find it when I went in SimPE and looked through the sim's memories.  I found one that was missing the $Subject, and I deleted it.  Alternatively, you can insert a valid reference to a sim, but I figured that particular memory wasn't that important.  So I think somehow the sim being referenced is invalid so you get the squiggly lines.  Maybe that will give some of our hackers some ideas where to start. Smiley
Kukes
Corpulent Cretin

...cue destruction...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2005 November 01, 07:54:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had it in normal conversations between sims as well, since installing Nightlife. It freaked me and I wonder if the code has been modified and it's a fix that needs to be updated. Hopefully, as others have said, it's coming from something else instead.
SciBirg
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 November 01, 07:56:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To me it looks like the nanny is complaining about not being able to get to an object.
Do you have the noroutefail hack installed? I think I read that it wasn't compatible with NL just yet.

INTJ
MokeyHokey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 November 01, 12:13:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

No. Too much work to type all of them out, so here's a screen of exactly which hacks I have. 

Oh, and I don't download lots, and I routinely scan my folders with Clean Installer, so there aren't any lurking in a dark corner.

KellyQ
STUPID PUDDING
Dead Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 November 01, 16:31:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I had the squiggly lines, JM advised me to use the nocorruptdeath fix. I haven't seen the dreaded squiggles since *knock wood*.

I just wanted to add to what I said in my first post; the problem I had was pre-NL. Looks like this is something new, sorry for the misinformation. Embarrassed

<Pescado> Make it quick. I'm busy and you're not funny.
MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 November 01, 19:35:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My objects.package file after I install the patch is date 09/30 and it was not a read-only file, I had to do it manually. I did it right after I install the patch and did not even started the game so I am sure it is the original version after the patch.  Looks like yours have been modified since you install the patch unless the date of the objects.package would be different according to the language of your game, mine is in US .
« Last Edit: 2005 November 01, 19:52:48 by Missdoh » Logged
MokeyHokey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 November 01, 20:33:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I can't say for sure when I installed the patch since I was out of town for a while and didn't install it until I was back. I suppose it's possible that the package was damaged--I can try recopying it and see if that helps.  If the objects.package WAS modified by the patch and I recopy it from the disk, I would need to reinstall the patch though, yes?

FWIW, I tried the badmouth interaction and sure enough, they are doing it then as well.  The candidate she has to badmouth is the burglar who made away with her mother's car.  When the interaction began--just before this image--she popped up a picture of the burglar, so she's obviously got a valid bubble to begin with.

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 November 01, 20:41:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, I can't say for sure when I installed the patch since I was out of town for a while and didn't install it until I was back. I suppose it's possible that the package was damaged--I can try recopying it and see if that helps.  If the objects.package WAS modified by the patch and I recopy it from the disk, I would need to reinstall the patch though, yes?
You shouldn't have to reinstall the patch.  Maxoid Tom said all it did was recopy the original objects file from the CD.  I don't think it would let you install the patch again anyway, not unless you were to reinstall NL, because it would say you are already patched.
uaintjak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 November 01, 20:41:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I am (was) having the same problem - and I don't have either Nightlife or University.  I posted about it a week or two ago, but unfortunately, no one seemed to know what was going on.

I can say, though, that my objects.package file was fine, not changed in any way.  It was a new neighborhood, no one had died, so it wasn't a corrupt death.  It wasn't overpopulation, because I only had 2 families moved in.  I had all the relevant hacks and fixes and patches installed.

I'm wondering if it could be caused by a hack conflict, though - because in addition to the scratchy lines, I had sims jumping out of actions, a'la the jump bug.  Again, I'm patched and have JM's fix for that.  And again, no NL or Uni.

Here's a list of my hacks:
Abductions Higher Odds (by TJ)
Aborted bed making (by JM)
Anti-Baby Lecture (JM)
Aspiration Recharge (JM)
Breakup Fix (JM)
Callover (JM)
Captain Hero (JM)
Carpool Fix (JM)
Chatbugfix v1 (JM)
Coffeecup Hack (JM)
CommSkilling (old one, that allows playable characters to skill up - by JM)
Computer Chat Fix (JM)
Continuous Paint (JM)
Daily Gardener (JM)
Deathfix (JM)
Doorbell Quieter (JM)
Encouragifactor (JM)
Faster Buy Clothes (JM)
FFS Debugger (JM)
Front Door Hack (JM)
House Party Fix (JM)
Hugging Hack (JM)
Less Whiny (JM)
Marriage Post-mortum (JM)
Mind Control Mirror (Merola)
Move in all (old hack, got it from...um...shit.  Someone.  Allows you to move in children and teens)
NMefix (JM)
No Aplus Spam (JM)
No Auto Email (JM)
No Cheering Hack (JM)
No Corrupt Death (JM)
No Drop Tired Baby (JM)
No Plagiarism (JM)
No Rabbit Spin (JM)
No Reunion Memory (JM)
No Route Fail (JM)
No Shock for Outgoing Sims (JM)
No Smart Milk Drag (JM)
No Stranger Dance (JM)
No Telepathy (JM)
Novel Progress Bar (JM)
No What's This? (JM)
NPC PiP Fix, 3 in 1 (TJ)
Outfitplanner (JM)
Pay at box (JM)
Phonehack (JM)
Preg for all Genders (TJ)
Save the Trees (JM)
Scanner Gun Hack (JM)
School Bus Bring Friend Dialog (TJ)
Smart Serve (Dizzy2)
SSHack (JM)
Stay Things Shrub (Inge)
Stay Things Global Fix (Inge)
Stereo Hack (JM)
Teleporter Painting (Inge)
The Fight Club (JM)
Wedding Party Fix (JM)

Dang.  That's a lot of hacks.  Stupid Maxis.

MissDoh
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 November 01, 21:32:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You shouldn't have to reinstall the patch.  Maxoid Tom said all it did was recopy the original objects file from the CD.  I don't think it would let you install the patch again anyway, not unless you were to reinstall NL, because it would say you are already patched.

I am not sure that the objects.package file was not modify since the remote control car was definetely modify.  Wasn't that car part of the objects.package file or is the programming of this object in another file?  Or is it that when patch it, it added an extra file seperately which modifies the programming of the objects not the objects.package file itself?  Sorry I have no idea how it works.... but would love to learn.  Maybe twojeffs or JMPescado can answer that for me or any other awesome people here that knows how it works.  Undecided
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 November 01, 22:41:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FWIW, I tried the badmouth interaction and sure enough, they are doing it then as well.  The candidate she has to badmouth is the burglar who made away with her mother's car.  When the interaction began--just before this image--she popped up a picture of the burglar, so she's obviously got a valid bubble to begin with.

I tried it last night in Pleasantview.  I told Cassandra to badmouth to Benjamin Long - when the action was first cued up, she got a picture of the 'left at altar' in a thought bubble with the little flames, then the action dropped out.  I told her to do it again, and this time she walked up to Ben, started talking about Don, then the dreaded squiggly lines appeared.

This is a fairly new incarnation of Pleasantview (restarted after buying Nightlife) so there are only about 5 more characters than the game itself has generated.

<insert witty comment here>
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: