More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 08:39:28

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Bon Voyage time issue. <SOLVED>
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Bon Voyage time issue. <SOLVED>  (Read 40465 times)
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Bon Voyage time issue. <SOLVED>
« on: 2007 September 05, 17:53:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've just discovered that BV has introduced a big problem with the way time passes.   

The game has always been this way, but with BV its something you will have to keep a close eye on.   Hotels have a checkout time of 12 noon. 

If you stay past this time 1 day is charged to your hotel fee.  All BV lots decrease your vacation days by 1 at 12 midnight.   The problem is, it doesn't differentiate between the hotel and just visiting a community lot.   

As an example...you leave the hotel lot to visit another community lot at 9am,   you stay at the community lot until 6pm,  at 12 noon while your visiting the community lot, the game will register that your staying another day at the hotel (you get no message about this though),  when you return to the hotel, the time is back to 9am when you left and you also get a message saying you missed checkout time and 1 day has been added to your hotel charge.  While at the hotel, at 11am you will get a message saying "it's checkout time, if you stay past noon, you will be charged another day". When 12 noon comes, the game charges you again for 1 day.  You have now paid twice for 1 day stay. Sad   

The same issue applies to 12 midnight when vacation days decreases by 1.  If your visiting a lot when 12 midnight goes by, vacation days left decreases by 1.   If it's before midnight when you return to the hotel,  while your at the hotel, and time passes midnight, vacation days left will decrease by another 1.   You have now lost 2 vacation days in one day. Sad

I don't think there is anyway around this other then keeping an eye on the time when you go visiting other community lots.
« Last Edit: 2007 September 07, 01:59:00 by Kralore » Logged
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
Re: Bon Voyage time issue. Possibly serious?
« Reply #1 on: 2007 September 05, 18:01:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why am I not surprised?

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007 September 05, 18:14:46 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Sounds like a hack fix is needed to make sure that time is only counted from the hotel lots, not community lots. Stupid EAxis

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007 September 05, 18:21:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...but then unless your hotel lot is inordinately fascinating, you would practically never pay!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
syberspunk
Heretic
Terrible Twerp

ISTJ - what a crazy random happenstance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 2007 September 05, 18:29:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hrm... I wonder how Crammyboy's Community Time hack would work to solve this...

I mean, it would be nice to have some realism here as well... so sims that went to another comm lot, when returning to the hotel, would appear as off-world for the amount of time they had been gone.  In the meantime, you would go ahead with the other playables on the lot...

The hitch would be that the hack would probably have to disable the ability to return home until all playable sims are present and accounted for.  Unless, sims can return home separate from each other... which would be even more realistic... but I'm sure that would be too messy to implement and probably just complicate things.

The 'simpler' fix as Kat suggests, would be to just ignore the time that you are on a comm lot.  Hopefully this might be as simple as inserting a check if you are on a comm lot, and then ignore/skip the lines that deduct vacation days/charge extra hotel days.  This is assuming that comm lots can be identified separately from 'hotel' lots.

Again, it's the case of very simple things that Maxis EA doesn't seem to even try out before releasing their games. Roll Eyes  Oh wells.

I'm hoping that someone can identify whether the new lots need emptying/cleaning.

Ste

akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2007 September 05, 18:39:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Huh. I bet that'll be in the patch, then, since aside from the fact that it causes overcharging and loss of vacation days, time in vacation subhoods is supposed to be continuous, like it is in Uni subhoods.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007 September 05, 18:47:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Huh. I bet that'll be in the patch, then, since aside from the fact that it causes overcharging and loss of vacation days, time in vacation subhoods is supposed to be continuous, like it is in Uni subhoods.
Yes, but Uni subhood time is broken also. It has never worked correctly either, as evidenced by what happens when only part of a lot goes out, resulting in semester times getting completely desynchronized.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007 September 05, 19:06:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

...but then unless your hotel lot is inordinately fascinating, you would practically never pay!

Problem (if it is one) seems to originate with EAxis using the Uni comm lot time structure without thought that there is no check out time in a dorm.

I would not mind that time is not counted on comm lots, as this is consistent with the way comm lot time runs in main hoods, and it allows more time spent away from hotel without racking up a bill.  However, if this is going to be the case, check out time should only be calculated when the sim reaches 12:00noon at the hotel.  However, this is generally inconsistent with the way most people run their holidays - generally, I would think that folks don't just stay in the hotel all day (well, some do if they have small kids that just want to use the pool, etc.).

If this does not work, time at comm lots could possibly be synchronized with hotel time, so that if you leave the comm lot at 11pm, having been there since 10am, it should be 11pm when the sims get back to the hotel.  

I'm thinking that this may be a "feature" not a "bug", in that EAxis logic might be that if the sims are going to spend a whole day at a comm lot, and then return to the hotel to spend another whole day in the hotel (admittedly on the same day), perhaps it is fair for them to pay for two days vacation in one.  We'll know whenever they patch this EP, whether they think this is a problem or not.

Tribulatio proxima est
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007 September 05, 19:31:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you go from the hotel to the community lot after 12 noon, and don't stay at the community lot past 12 midnight, things are fine. This gives you aproximately 11 hours game time on any community lot.  You can then return to the hotel, time would be back at the start time, and you could then go off to another community lot for another 11 hours.  You could repeat this over and over and take advantage of the time issue and stay on vacation indefinitly.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007 September 05, 19:45:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, but Uni subhood time is broken also. It has never worked correctly either, as evidenced by what happens when only part of a lot goes out, resulting in semester times getting completely desynchronized.

Yeah, a bit annoying.  I generally reset time until finals using Insim when my students return to the dorm so that the term stays in synch.  Maybe something like this will be necessary when on holiday - fun idea to leave the hotel after 12:00 and return before 12:00 the next day.  That might eliminate the double payment problem.

Purists would have to make sure that they actually paid a bill, for overall realism.

Tribulatio proxima est
Loncaros
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2007 September 05, 21:08:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Nothing good is coming from the way time in community lots is handled. You have drop-dead tired Sims at 7pm when you return from a date, you have college finals at 2am, your teenagers never have the house for themselves. I don't understand why Maxis did it that way.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2007 September 05, 21:58:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, a bit annoying.  I generally reset time until finals using Insim when my students return to the dorm so that the term stays in synch.

JMP's College Clock has an option to sync everyone in the dorm's time to a particular sim.  Very handy for keeping multiple residents synchronized.

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2007 September 05, 23:11:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This just gets worse and worse. LOL

I played a different family,  booked a vacation at Three Lakes.   Checked in at the campgrounds Monday 10am. I spent the night and decided to checkout and try a hotel.  I checked out of the campground Tuesday 1pm. At this point two 12 noon checkouts have passed, but camping is free, so there has been no charge.   

Went to the Three Lakes Cabins. As soon as I finished the final check'in.  I recieved the message "Checkout time passed while you were away from the hotel, 475$ has been added to your bill".... Not once, but twice. So in the end I was charged the normal 475$ for checking into the hotel, plus 475$ twice for the 2 noon checkouts that passed at the campgrounds that were supposedly free Huh
bowlwoman
Blathering Buffoon

ESTJ and/or ISTJ. Take your pick.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2007 September 06, 00:24:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is why I'm waiting for the patch and various hacks to correct this before I buy this expansion.  Plus, I just installed zOMGPetz and Seasons a few weeks ago (had to finish my thesis and graduate before I got to play), so I'm still learning the ins and outs of those two. 

Do you have to take the whole fam with you when visiting community lots or can you leave one person behind?  That might keep the room rate/vacation days from double kaching'ing?
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2007 September 06, 03:12:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Way to go screwing that up EA!~
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: 2007 September 06, 08:28:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This is a little off topic but in reply to the student problem being tired from an outing when an exam is coming up, I have made a hacked object/patch pair that "closes" the college for periods of time, so for the entire household classes and exams are not called and the timer does not tick down.   I found it was the only way if I had a house of 8 sharers to be able to get them all on an outing at the same time without finding one had just escaped to class or had a final coming up.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2007 September 06, 08:32:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The College Clock has been able to timefreeze on home and community lots for ages, and I've never had a problem with sims running off to class, seeing as they don't go unless I tell them to. As long you avoid massive-desync issues caused by messed up time tracking, finals come at predictable times.

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 2007 September 06, 08:54:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well you probably have yours autonomy off.  It's a complete pain cancelling go to class off the queues of 8 students, especially after they choose their majors and you forget to check the right queue at the right moment.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
Wusel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2007 September 06, 09:41:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As an example...you leave the hotel lot to visit another community lot at 9am,   you stay at the community lot until 6pm,  at 12 noon while your visiting the community lot, the game will register that your staying another day at the hotel (you get no message about this though),  when you return to the hotel, the time is back to 9am when you left and you also get a message saying you missed checkout time and 1 day has been added to your hotel charge. 

Time passes in my game! When I leave the hotel at 9 am and come back at 6 pm, it is 6 pm in the hotel. It does not matter, if I visit the community lot with my whole family or with just one of them...
Aggie
Smackable Punbot
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2007 September 06, 10:02:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

As an example...you leave the hotel lot to visit another community lot at 9am,   you stay at the community lot until 6pm,  at 12 noon while your visiting the community lot, the game will register that your staying another day at the hotel (you get no message about this though),  when you return to the hotel, the time is back to 9am when you left and you also get a message saying you missed checkout time and 1 day has been added to your hotel charge. 

Time passes in my game! When I leave the hotel at 9 am and come back at 6 pm, it is 6 pm in the hotel. It does not matter, if I visit the community lot with my whole family or with just one of them...

Same here. Even when I had all my "filthy" hacks still in the game, time passed regularly like it hadn't done before. 

Quote from: Esoteric PolarBear
"I don't believe in the edit button; it goes against the very core of my being."
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2007 September 06, 10:36:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow!  What happens if you left some sims behind at the hotel?  Or can't you do that?

Wusel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2007 September 06, 10:49:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can leave some of them behind, time passes anyway. I have tried visiting other lots with the whole family and visiting other lots with the teenage boy only, his parents and little sister stayed in the hotel and time passed.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2007 September 06, 11:11:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yep, time passed for me too. It was kinda nice, actually

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 2007 September 06, 11:18:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose the drawback is that when you get back to the hotel, exhausted at bedtime, the kids you left behind in the morning still have their green energy ready to play all night?

Wusel
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2007 September 06, 11:26:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It was not that bad, actually. I have found espresso machines in all hotels so far and just let the teen sleep a little longer in the morning while the rest of the family had fun at the beach.
In the morning, they all leave together to visit something and then in the evening kids and parents go to bed and teen leaves again, it works just fine.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: