More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 22:57:53

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Oops! You Broke It!
| | | |-+  annoying noise in my monitor
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: annoying noise in my monitor  (Read 6233 times)
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
annoying noise in my monitor
« on: 2006 December 23, 02:54:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This started a few months ago.
whenever my PC is turned on, the machine would give off this annoying wiring noise till I beat the damn monitor to heck to stop the noise (PC still works)
how the heck do I get rid of this annoying wiring! its starting right now too!
It sounds like its near the drives

Edit: I think its a fan problem because it sounds like a fan
« Last Edit: 2006 December 23, 05:51:26 by giggy » Logged

<Annan> Kofi is such an ass. She never responds when I try to be nice.

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
Re: annoying noise in my monitor
« Reply #1 on: 2006 December 23, 03:10:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why would you beat the monitor to fix a tower problem?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 December 23, 03:53:39 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Because he's a dumb 12 year old. Obviously he should be hitting the tower.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ThyGuy
Exasperating Eyesore

HELP ME! I'M STUPID!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 December 23, 04:20:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rules when dealing with a computer,

#1. DO NOT HIT THE COMPUTER!
#2. DO NOT BITE THE COMPUTER!
#3. DO NOT PLEAD WITH THE COMPUTER!
#4. DO NOT BRIBE THE COMPUTER WITH SEXUAL ADVANCEMENTS!

If you follow these rules, you're computer will be fixed.

If you do one of the above, then you should now stand up and hit your head against the wall until you see stars, and or die, in that order. Honestly, if there is something wrong with your comp, find out what is wrong and fix it. A computer does not learn from physical abuse (unlike children, aunts, beagles); it just makes the problem worst or causes the computer to quit working.

Solution to your problem. Is it the tower vibrating? Does it stop when you firmly put your hand on top of the tower (WITHOUT HITTING IT) and press down to prevent any vibrations? Yes, put a book on top of the tower; no? Something is loose or (likely and in your situation) damaged and needs replaced.

*Sigh* Honestly, dumb people, children, and beagles make me wonder where the nearest wicker handbasket to hell is so I can stuff them into it.

DEATH TO UGLY BEAGLE DOGS!
WALMART IS THE DEVIL!!!!!
I DEMAND THE FIERY DEATH OF CRYING BABIES!
Do us a favor? DIE, GO TO HEAVEN, STFU!
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 December 23, 04:39:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rules when dealing with a computer,

#1. DO NOT HIT THE COMPUTER!
Actually, *DO* hit the computer. Percussive maintenance has an ancient and honorable tradition and can often resolve issues like loose contacts, misaligned fans, rattling parts, etc. A good thump is often what it needs to be fixed. And if it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ThyGuy
Exasperating Eyesore

HELP ME! I'M STUPID!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 December 23, 04:53:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is frightening, but brilliant obvious solution.  Shocked

DEATH TO UGLY BEAGLE DOGS!
WALMART IS THE DEVIL!!!!!
I DEMAND THE FIERY DEATH OF CRYING BABIES!
Do us a favor? DIE, GO TO HEAVEN, STFU!
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 December 23, 04:59:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Annoying noises are usually fans going bad that need replacement. CPU, power supply, or the video card are the likely suspects.

My old computer used to sound like a coffee grinder at times.  Tongue

Baroness
cwieberdink
Retarded Reprobate

Dark and evil penguins!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 December 23, 05:26:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, *DO* hit the computer. Percussive maintenance has an ancient and honorable tradition and can often resolve issues like loose contacts, misaligned fans, rattling parts, etc. A good thump is often what it needs to be fixed. And if it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.
This is how we fix things on RUSSIAN SPACE STATION!

Darkerdink -- aide to Dark_Trepie.  Now with moar dark!
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 December 23, 05:47:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

to be truthful its not rattling its just like one of those fan noises, next time I'll leave it to be.
I might get the fans replaced sometime later, I haven't got the money to replace things right now.
Stupid fans

*Ella whine*
<Kiki> of course I give you shit...I can't stand you. I think you're an abortion 23 years too late.
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 December 23, 12:10:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Fans are only like $10.  You might want to look at it and see if it's full of dust and crud.   If so, turn off the puter and pick some of it out through the grill.  Shouldn't even need to open the case.
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 December 23, 12:24:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My sister's computer was launching like an aircraft, if she turned it on at night, I could hear the fan from upstairs. And as it was a year-old dell, we were afraid to open it up and break the sticker, losing our guarantee. So I told her to stop hitting it and vacuum the fans from whatever cavity she could find in the tower and it worked! The dust must be sifted to somewhere else in the tower though, I can't imagine such powerful suction!

In my case (in my computer) I found out that one of the extra cables from the power unit was touching the cpu fan, and that was making a terrible rattling noise- easily fixed. And one time, I had left the side cover of the tower not completely locked into place, and it was rattling soo bad. That was easy too. I keep my fans very clean too. Smiley
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 December 23, 12:45:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have an old hard disk that makes an annoying churning sound sometimes.  A light thump on the side of the cabinet makes it stop.
Don't underestimate the value of a good thump.

In fact, my comouter responds very well to abuse.  I have an on-board network card that would not activate, no matter what I did to it in bios and windoze, in the end I gave up and put in an old card.  Two months later the main fuse on our floor blew and when the computer booted back up; lo and behold; there was the network card.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006 December 23, 12:49:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If your hard drive is making funny noises, this tends to be the sign of impending failure. I advise against putting anything valuable there. In fact, if your hard drive is making funny noises while NEW, bitch at the manufacturer right away while it's still under warranty.

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 December 25, 01:56:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's an old disk.  I don't have anything important on it, it's just where I store my temporary swag and install files.
My new disk is nice and quiet.  I never throw away a disk unless it goes tick-tick-tick and don't read data, there's always some unimportant shit you can put on it.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Giggy
Stupid Schlemiel

ISTJ

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006 December 26, 08:51:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok, so I've opened my pc up and saw no wires on the fans,
I'd turned it on, noise is there, I heard the noise near my sound, internet and Graphics card, I've touched the edge of the graphics card and noticed that its vibrating while the others are not.
I think I might need a new graphics card or something, I think the graphic cards fan isn't working

*Ella whine*
blubug
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 December 26, 18:59:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In my old pc, I had a loose graphics card, took me a month before I figured out that was the problem. And me hitting the computer every time it rattled only made things worse (although it was temporarily quiet). Then had to get a new graphics card because my sister opened up the case and jammed the card in its slot every time it rattled, thus causing the connection parts to bend and become even more loose. She was only 11 then, and pretty angry at the pc, so I don't blame her. But anyway, if you're not that far ahead yet, maybe you should take it out and put it back in (keeping the computer off while you're doing it Cheesy, and only if you know what you're doing.)

Maybe if it's a graphics card fan problem, you could reconnect the power cable of that fan. (When I first got my new card, it was the first time I saw a fan on a graphics card and didn't know I had to connect separate power cables to it. I should've looked at the manual much more carefully Smiley)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: