More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 06, 05:24:07

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Odd custom hair issue.
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Odd custom hair issue.  (Read 6707 times)
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
Odd custom hair issue.
« on: 2008 April 28, 01:20:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

For a few of the custom hairs I have, not all of them, there exists this problem:

I pick, say, a silver hair through the mirror. in the preview, it shows as silver. When I accept it and exit the change appearance window, the hair is now black.

Like I said, this does not happen for all of my custom hair, but for the ones it does happen for, it happens consistently. I've regenerated the thumbnails and deleted groups and whatnot, with no difference.

It seems like the game is associating the custom color incorrectly with the black recolor file or something, because the incorrect hair color is always the black recolor of the same mesh.

Anyone have any ideas or experience with something like this?

kuronue
Querulous Quidnunc

View Profile
Re: Odd custom hair issue.
« Reply #1 on: 2008 April 28, 13:48:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Is it the black recolor or is it solid black like it can't find the texture or the lighting has barfed on it?

INFP or something
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008 April 28, 14:42:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's the black recolor.

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008 April 28, 15:48:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've had that happen too.  It doesn't always fall back on black, I've seen custom change into both blond and brown, but the source of the issue has always been a custom hair in the same family as binned hairs.  Re-binning has sometimes worked for me, but not always.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008 April 29, 00:40:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Okie dokie, I'll try that right now and see if it does the trick.

loripanori
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008 April 29, 00:52:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm having the exact same problem...

I only have about 3 or 4 downloaded hairs in the custom bin (weird colours like blue, pink, purple, etc.), but none of them show up the right colour in game...  Like you said, the colour looks right in the change appearance window, but not once I exit.  Funny thing is that the portraiture picture of the sim changes, so that in their little portrait they'll have purple hair, but in game it'll look black or brown.  The 4 hairs I have are from different sites (XM sims and Raonjena I think), so I don't think that's the problem...  but I'm not sure.  

All of my custom hair colours are binned into the custom bin using Theo's colour binning tool in SimPE, so that might be causing the problem...  I'll try re-binning to remove the family association...  and maybe I'll try re-binning with wardrobe wrangler, to see if that changes anything.  Let me know if anything works for you  Smiley 
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008 April 29, 01:00:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It worked! Thanks Gwill. Smiley

Loripanori, I just changed the family of the custom hair that was screwing up, and voila! fixed. I don't remember if Theo's tool can do that; I've been using the Wardrobe Wrangler since it came out.

loripanori
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008 April 29, 01:09:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Woo, I'm glad it's fixed!!  It's been driving me nuts.  I tried searching for a solution before, but I always just got a pile of useless information about custom hair.  I just exited my game to come post about it, when I saw your post.  What a coincidence.

When re-binning mine with Wardrobe Wrangler I just noticed that for the hairs binned "custom" with theo's tool, the colour bin value and family value are exactly the same...  Could that be causing the problem?  Or is that normal for hair in the custom bin?

ETA:
Nevermind, I don't think it matters...  I tried changing the colour bin value so that it's different than the family value, but the hair still looked brown/black in game...  the only solution seems to be changing the family value so that the custom colours are no longer associated with the normal colour family.
« Last Edit: 2008 April 29, 01:54:41 by loripanori » Logged
Quinctia
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2008 April 29, 01:57:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It ought to be able to handle custom colors in the same family as the other ones.  I haven't had a problem in the past, and I binned tons of hairs when I originally found out about Theo's plug-in.
Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2008 April 29, 02:15:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It ought to be able to handle custom colors in the same family as the other ones.  I haven't had a problem in the past, and I binned tons of hairs when I originally found out about Theo's plug-in.

It ought to, yes, but some of them can't. I also binned hundreds of hair files when I first got the plugin, and like I mentioned, only a few have problems.

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008 April 29, 07:03:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have lots of white hair binned as custom with the same family as its natural counterparts (to make them share grey hair).  I've only had problems with two or three hairs.  It *should* work, it just occasionally doesn't.
I haven't looked too closely into the issue, since I've only had it happen a handful of times  out of hundreds.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
loripanori
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2008 April 29, 15:47:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's funny, because I've only tried binning a total of 5 custom hair colours (because I rarely download non-standard colours), but all of them changed to a normal hair colour in game.  Which made me think it was a glitch in the binning process...  But since it happens so rarely to everyone else, I guess I just have bad luck!
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2008 April 29, 16:40:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think custom-binned recolors was newly broken by FT.

Prior to FT, I binned lots of weird recolors (like pink and green) of the same mesh to custom bin, with the same family value as 4 natural colors. They all worked fine before FT, but stopped working after installing FT. When I give a Sim one of those custom-binned hairs, only thumbnail picture is updated. His hair reverts to one of 4 natural colors which share the same family value as custom-binned ones.

I solved it by giving a new family value to custom-binned hairs. It doesn't have to be unique for each custom-binned hair. It only needs to be different from 4 natural colors.

FYI, the hair in question was one of Raonjena male hair.

Solowren
Senator

A flock of crapped nerds

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2008 April 29, 16:42:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

FYI, the hair in question was one of Raonjena male hair.

Odd, that's one of the hairs that was messing up on me, too. The XM hairs also like to give me problems.

loripanori
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2008 April 29, 21:00:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All of the custom hairs I've tested (and had mess up) have been Raonjena or XM Sims as well...
I'm not sure if that's  significant, or just a coincidence...  maybe those are just the main places we get these odd hair colours...  Smiley
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2008 April 29, 23:47:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Raonjena - from MTS2?

I recently downloaded a new virus checker from sourceforge called ClamWin - it doesn't scan constantly! - and it picked up a couple of dodgy zips in my sims hair. I'm pretty sure it was that name on the zip files, Raonjena. I just deleted the zips and didn't examine further as I wasn't using the hair.

Might be worth seeing if anyone else gets results on a virus scan.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
Lord Darcy
Obtuse Oaf

The owls are not what they seem.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2008 April 30, 01:01:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Raonjena - from MTS2?

I recently downloaded a new virus checker from sourceforge called ClamWin - it doesn't scan constantly! - and it picked up a couple of dodgy zips in my sims hair. I'm pretty sure it was that name on the zip files, Raonjena. I just deleted the zips and didn't examine further as I wasn't using the hair.

Might be worth seeing if anyone else gets results on a virus scan.

It wasn't other people's retextures that were posted on MTS2. I got mine from booty, so it should be safe.
I also got some free Raon hairs from their own website. So far, Kaspersky hasn't reported infected files.

Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2008 April 30, 18:00:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

All of the custom hairs I've tested (and had mess up) have been Raonjena or XM Sims as well...
I'm not sure if that's  significant, or just a coincidence...  maybe those are just the main places we get these odd hair colours...  Smiley

Coincidence.
Mine were Peggy and Rose hairs.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: