More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 03, 10:45:04

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The War Room
| | |-+  Correcting the DNA of Strangetown premade characters
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Correcting the DNA of Strangetown premade characters  (Read 274141 times)
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
Re: Correcting the DNA of Strangetown premade characters
« Reply #100 on: 2006 February 06, 22:50:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Could someone send me the fixed  Strangetown? I can't fix it myself. Undecided I could also host it on my site. Smiley

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
tunaisafish
Axe Murderer
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 2006 February 06, 23:12:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If someone with a clean install of the neighbourhood just posted the files that changed after fixing it with SimPE, the zipfile would probably be quiet small.  Probably small enough to host here?

I've not fixed my Strange or Verona yet. If I do get round to doing it I'll make some.

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 2006 February 07, 03:42:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Not unless it's less than 640k.  That's the limit on attachments.  Unless JM makes an exception.  He says 640k is all anyone will ever need (sound familiar??)
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 2006 February 07, 04:05:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've not fixed my Strange or Verona yet.
Veronaville is bad too? Crap maxis can't get anything right. Angry

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 2006 February 07, 05:10:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've not fixed my Strange or Verona yet.
Veronaville is bad too? Crap maxis can't get anything right. Angry
Uhhhh...Nope.  I think they've proven that rather well by now, unfortunately.  Sad
jrd
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 2006 February 07, 14:02:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It is fairly obvious that the three 'hoods were made with an alpha of TS2. This alpha included code which never made it into the final game (such as info on the 'family' need), and lacks info which made it into the final build.
Maxis went over Pleasantview and fixed the bugs there (and in the process introduced duplicates for Skip Broke and Darleen Dreamer), the fixing of Strange and Verona probably got scrapped because EA told Maxis the game had to go gold.

Veronaville not only has the bad DNA bugs Strangetown has, but it also has just about every Monty and Capp marked as mutual 'family'. This causes a whole new round of problems (arguably by design: the families aren't supposed to mingle).
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 2006 February 10, 18:45:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So can someone fix them? I can host them.

jmtmom
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 2006 February 15, 19:32:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Things were going pretty well in Strange town. Johnny and Ophelia had a lovely little green baby. I married off Ripp Grunt to Chloe Singles and the game crashes when she gets ready to give birth.

I'm trying to figure out if I did something wrong when I fixed Chloe's DNA, but I'm having a little trouble comparing the new SimPe to the old set-up. Would it be possible to repost the corrected DNA in the new format?

I'm also wondering if something's wrong with Ripp's DNA. I'm trying to figure that out, but I am still a SimPe newbie, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited to add: I fixed Ripp's DNA. He was missing both skintone llines, I just copied the info for Jenny Smith and now they have an adorable little baby with the lightest skintone, like Ripp. Chloe's DNA seemed OK, only difference was with the recessive eye color. I fixed that too, but I think it was the skintone problem with Ripp that was causing the problem.
« Last Edit: 2006 February 16, 14:16:31 by jmtmom » Logged
Meek_Monkey
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 2006 February 15, 21:51:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

dtstring 2: 6baf064a-85ad-4e37-8d81-a987e9f8da46 this is the code u need for her and also 268435458: 00000003-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 thaat should be correct or u could use the alien skin tone for 268435458 as well.
Morphar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 2006 February 21, 21:43:56 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

............ but I think it was the skintone problem with Ripp that was causing the problem.

Yes, Ripp's code caused the crash. That was the way I found out about the errounous DNA. I convinced Maxis people att MTS2 that the crash was caused by their code. They did change this in NL but not by correcting the corrupted DNA. Their fix only avoids the game to crash. The genetics is not working as on sims with corrected code.

You got this crash in classic TS2?

In one of the first postings by Baratron you have a list of Sims with corrupted code and Ripp is among them.

Note that the explanation of the skin tone genes in the post by Baratron is not correct.
Here are the correct explanations:

2 (dtString)  Parent1
268435458 (dtString) parent2
268435462 (dtString) Pass on, Recessive
6 (dtString) Pass on, Dominant and Expressed

jmtmom
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 2006 February 21, 21:58:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

............ but I think it was the skintone problem with Ripp that was causing the problem.

Yes, Ripp's code caused the crash. That was the way I found out about the errounous DNA. I convinced Maxis people att MTS2 that the crash was caused by their code. They did change this in NL but not by correcting the corrupted DNA. Their fix only avoids the game to crash. The genetics is not working as on sims with corrected code.

You got this crash in classic TS2?

In one of the first postings by Baratron you have a list of Sims with corrupted code and Ripp is among them.

Note that the explanation of the skin tone genes in the post by Baratron is not correct.
Here are the correct explanations:

2 (dtString)  Parent1
268435458 (dtString) parent2
268435462 (dtString) Pass on, Recessive
6 (dtString) Pass on, Dominant and Expressed

I have both uni and NL installed, I haven't added any of the patches though.  Huh  Once I fixed Ripp's DNA, it stopped crashing, and the baby was born with his skintone. I think I sorted out the differences with the old and new SimPe versions, that was what was confusing me.
Morphar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 2006 February 22, 00:56:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have both uni and NL installed, I haven't added any of the patches though.  Huh  Once I fixed Ripp's DNA, it stopped crashing, and the baby was born with his skintone. I think I sorted out the differences with the old and new SimPe versions, that was what was confusing me.

So with incorrect Ripp and a not patched NL the game crashed?
Are you sure it was not in TS2?

Strange, I must have installed the NL patch before I tested then.
I'm sure it didn't crash with NL anyway although the DNA was corrupted.

Well..............

RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 2006 February 22, 01:20:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The new SimPE that labels the fields is very helpful, but I would appreciate if someone could explain which of the new fields corresponds to which of the old strings. 

I did an experiment with an S4 father and an S1 mother and had them have 14 babies, 7 each.  For the children carried by the father, his skintone showed up in the top Skintone Range box, and hers showed up in the bottom Skintone Range box.  When she carried the children, it was reversed with hers in the top box.  So I drew the conclusion that the mother's skintone will be shown in the top Skintone range box and the father's in the lower one, since most of the time, the female carries the child.  But in the two middle boxes, the Skintone was always the same in the Recessive section as it was in the Dominant Section.  So I'd be very curious as to how these new fields correlate to the old strings.

Interestingly, of these 14 children born in this test neighborhood, 10 were girls and 4 were boys. 

There was only one with S3 skintone.  Three had S2, 5 with S1, and 5 with S4. 

The father had black hair and brown eyes, and the mother had red hair and green eyes.  As expected, all children had black hair and brown eyes and carried recessive red hair and green eye genes.  If one breeds with a sim with red or blonde hair, the child has a 50/50 chance of having either red or blonde hair.  The same applies with green, blue, or gray eyes, because none of these are dominant over the others.  Similarly, black and brown hair share equal dominance, as do dark blue and brown eyes. 

This, of course, does not take custom genetics into consideration.  I thought I'd share my little experiment in case anyone finds it useful.  I did some more testing with impregnating a few of the children with someone with different genes to see how it turned out in SimPE, but it starts to get more complicated and more interesting once you get away from the homozygous CAS sims.
jmtmom
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 2006 February 22, 02:45:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So with incorrect Ripp and a not patched NL the game crashed?
Are you sure it was not in TS2?

Strange, I must have installed the NL patch before I tested then.
I'm sure it didn't crash with NL anyway although the DNA was corrupted.

Well..............

Yes, I'm quite sure. I've never played just TS2, I got the exp packs and the original game together. I've never installed any patches since the game runs really well, why fix what ain't broke?
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 2006 February 22, 02:52:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I'm quite sure. I've never played just TS2, I got the exp packs and the original game together. I've never installed any patches since the game runs really well, why fix what ain't broke?
Because the game is broke, it's shipped broken.  Just because you haven't come across any problems yet doesn't mean there aren't any problems, and it doesn't mean you won't have problems surface down the road.  You probably have the patches anyway since the game makes sure that the game is patched during the installation process, except for the latest NL patch if you installed before it came out.  That's what this site is all about is fixing all the stuff that's broken in the game while Maxis takes their time fixing it.  It's also a good idea for you to have the latest patches if you intend to use the mods and fixes on this site because the modders have the patches and therefore the mods are based on the latest game code.
Morphar
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 2006 February 22, 21:31:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The new SimPE that labels the fields is very helpful, but I would appreciate if someone could explain which of the new fields corresponds to which of the old strings.

The dominant is 6 dtstring.
The recesive is  268435462 dtstring

Range1 is 2 dtstring
Range2 is 268435458 dtstring
RainbowTigress
Sucky Name Person
Whiny Wussy

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 2006 February 22, 21:55:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks, Morphar!  Can I ask where you found this information or how you found out?
jmtmom
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 2006 February 23, 02:40:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Because the game is broke, it's shipped broken.  Just because you haven't come across any problems yet doesn't mean there aren't any problems, and it doesn't mean you won't have problems surface down the road.  You probably have the patches anyway since the game makes sure that the game is patched during the installation process, except for the latest NL patch if you installed before it came out.  That's what this site is all about is fixing all the stuff that's broken in the game while Maxis takes their time fixing it.  It's also a good idea for you to have the latest patches if you intend to use the mods and fixes on this site because the modders have the patches and therefore the mods are based on the latest game code.

Well, once I get OFB, I'll have the patches I guess.  Grin
Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 2006 February 23, 08:03:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Zipped up Veronaville is 75MB and Strangetown is 50MB. 

ISFJ
tunaisafish
Axe Murderer
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 2006 February 23, 08:34:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

StarrKist, are these versions of those hoods that have had their DNA fixed?

SimsBaby offered to host these if they are.

Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 2006 February 23, 08:39:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes they are the fixed versions...I tried to upload them on my website but I have dialup and it seemed to be going nowhere so I will try later, sometimes I can get things to upload sometimes not....Totally unplayed too...All sims are homogynous...Zip includes the whole neoghborhood folder so that it is easy to place in game...
« Last Edit: 2006 February 23, 08:46:09 by StarrKist » Logged

ISFJ
tunaisafish
Axe Murderer
Exasperating Eyesore

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 2006 February 23, 12:41:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

125 Mb will take you ages to upload over a modem.  It might also be impossible to do if your ISP cuts off your connection after a few hours.

Can you see what files have changed from the editing process by their timestamps?
Hopefully just zipping up the changed files could cut them down to a reasonable size.

Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 2006 February 23, 18:55:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

What if I just try only the characters folder.  Will the neighborhood just work if you only replace the characters folder?

ISFJ
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 2006 February 23, 20:12:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It should.

Dea
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 2006 February 24, 23:00:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Ok I got it done and tested it on a second account in my game...I'll upload it to my webpage and send it to Simsbaby...Anyone who wants to host it can since it just fixed characters...Simsbaby do you want Veronaville to or just Strangetown? I sent you Strangetown.

To make it the smallest size I only put in the corrected character files.  Strangetown is 5.99Mb Veronaville is 13.4Mb
« Last Edit: 2006 February 25, 01:08:01 by StarrKist » Logged

ISFJ
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: