More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 11, 07:58:59

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  My computer doesn't like Pets!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: My computer doesn't like Pets!  (Read 4794 times)
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

Suck it, Jesus! This avatar is my God now!

View Profile
My computer doesn't like Pets!
« on: 2006 November 13, 18:49:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Help!

So, I now have my 2nd copy of Pets.  I took the first one back because I thought it was screwy.

I've now installed the game 3 times.  Every time I try to run it from the CD drive short cut, I'm told this:

Unable to locate required file or required file is corrupted.
C:\Documents and Settings\Sara Jo\Desktop\AutoRunGUI.DLL

When I go into my program files and try to run pets from there, I'm told this:

Please ensure The Sims 2 Pets disc is in the drive, select OK and restart the application.

This happened with the old copy, as well as the new one.  The strange thing is, if I completely restart my computer with the disc in the drive, and then run it from the program files, it will start.  This SUCKS because I can't ever turn my custom content on.

Anybody have any idea what I need to do?

Here's my specs:

Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Hewlett-Packard Pavilion
Intel Pentium 4
CPU 2.40 GHz, 2.40 GHz (I have 2 CPU's)
512 MB RAM

Also, I have an NVIDIA graphics card, if that helps, I just defragmented, and this has never happened with any other version of the game.  Huh

Who doesn't like kitties? KITTIES! They're cute! They're fuzzy!
Try this before posting, n00b.
idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
Re: My computer doesn't like Pets!
« Reply #1 on: 2006 November 13, 20:02:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Why can't you turn your CC on? What does running from Program Files have to do w/ CC enabling?
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 November 13, 20:20:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Because when I first get it to start, it asks if I want it enabled.  I say yes, and I'm told I have to restart the game for the changes to take effect.  However, I can't restart the game without restarting the whole computer, so the CC doesn't turn on...it's a FUBAR'd mess.

Also, I've just discovered that my whole EA Games folder in My Documents is GONE.

I am so pissed.  I did everything right (only awesome hacks, defragging, installing in new location), and my game is screwed.

Sleepycat
Stupid Schlemiel

meow!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 November 13, 22:03:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

must be more screwed then you thought... Everytime I install a new EP or stuff pack, I enter and enable CC and turn off the dialog thing, I then exit and restart my computer and then reenter the game to play.
KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 November 13, 22:06:29 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you remove all your downloads before trying to install? When you uninstalled, did you go in and do a manual uninstall to make sure it actually had uninstalled properly?

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
kryptmoon
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 November 13, 22:07:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Can you run or install any other game into your computer? Have you had any odd things happening with your cd rom? The reason I ask this is because I had a problem w/my cd rom and did'nt know it. If I restarted the computer then my computer would see the disc in the drive and I would be able to start my game. I could play the game fine until I shut down but if I tried to start it up again it would'nt until I restarted the comp. It sounds similar to your problem but may not be related so I just thought I'd ask. Also when you first start up your comp for the day would give you the same results, the comp would see the disc because the memory is clear but when you shut down...same thing. I eventually installed a new cd rom.(same exact make and model) no probs now. I hope it's as simple as that. Smiley
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 November 13, 23:51:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yeah, I know, the whole restarting my computer screwing it up has happened since they added the CC warning.  Angry

I swear I DID remove my downloads first...I have the folder on my desktop, so I must have.  It's been awhile since I installed (I haven't played it much).  Undecided

Anyway, I checked my background tasks, and I think one may have interfered (YES, I normally shut all that crap down first, but I seem to have missed a few).

I have to go to rehearsal now, but I'm going to see if that's the issue tomorrow...thank you all so far for your help, I appreciate it, and I'll let you know!  Smiley

KatEnigma
Axe Murderer
Souped!

ENFJ

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 November 14, 00:08:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When you uninstalled, did you uninstall everything, or just Pets? There were several of us who had a problem installing. I think it had something to do with saved data in the Sims 2 folder.  Undecided

"There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president."

- Kurt Vonnegut
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 November 14, 00:09:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I've now installed the game 3 times.  Every time I try to run it from the CD drive short cut, I'm told this:

Unable to locate required file or required file is corrupted.
C:\Documents and Settings\Sara Jo\Desktop\AutoRunGUI.DLL

Why does your computer look for an autorun file on your desktop when you start the game?
The shortcut is pointing to the wrong place, use the game short cut.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
miros
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 November 14, 14:34:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Once you've turned on Custom Content, it should stay on, even if you reboot.  You should also be running the executable on your hard drive, not the one on the CD.
SJActress
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006 November 14, 16:59:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Once you've turned on Custom Content, it should stay on, even if you reboot.  You should also be running the executable on your hard drive, not the one on the CD.

I think the "Shortcut to CD Drive" has gotten screwy and is pointing to the desktop somewhere.  Undecided

Oh, and katenigma, I uninstalled everything.  I didn't really have a choice, as Pets managed to hide/delete my EA folder, rendering all of the games unplayable.

I still haven't tested again with the background task stuff...I will when I return to school.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: