More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 22:01:42

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Creating a Custom Name List
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Creating a Custom Name List  (Read 33891 times)
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
Re: Creating a Custom Name List
« Reply #75 on: 2007 June 21, 12:39:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There's a politician in Australia called Richard Face.  Shocked
flowerchile
Bonghit Jones
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2007 June 21, 12:47:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

On the subject of teachers, for woodwork I had Mr. Carpenter and my brother had Mr. Pine. The school only had two woodworks teachers.

However, earlier, I'd gone to school with a guy whose surname was Kerr. Not a bad name by itself, there are Kerrs in my family tree.

But his first name was Wayne.

Freaky..  we had a guy at school named Wayne Kerr as well.   I also had heard that many years before I went there, there was a guy called Dwayne Pipe  Grin

I went outside once...the graphics were shit.
ingeli
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: 2007 June 21, 18:06:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Astrid Lindgren, the well-known Swedish writer of children's books (Pippi Longstocking! Swedish: Pippi Långstrump), created in one of her later works, a very nice young pre-teen love couple, Ronja and Birk. Both names were "new" to Swedish naming, but the book and the film made them extremely popular and there are quiet a few Birks and Ronjas around now, in the younger generations. Ronja and Birk in the book were kind of a Romeo and Juliet couple, children of 2 competing forest robber chiefs.
In Sweden the naming habits show that ppl tend to name their kids after the grandmother/father generation, so names become popular in cycles of 75 years or so. In the 40-s and 50-s we hade wave of double first names (like Sue Ellen, Jim Bob) in Swedish: Gun-Britt, Britt-Inger, Kent-Jörgen, Sven-Bertil, ect. Those havent regained popularity YET, lol. I also love Swedish versions of Very American names, obviously from movies, sometimes spelled in a Swedish way: Violet = Vailet. My cousin, born 1951 had a classmate with that name, she was super cool and had purple colored nails.. I worshipped her at age 7, lol.

Sometimes the Hollywood inspired names were spelled right, but pronounced in Swedish, even more funny and almost impossible to explain for non-Swedes, hehe.

The Russian first names are very conservative, traditionally names of saints. My favorites in Russian is Vera (Faith) Nadezhda (Hope) and Lyubov (Love). To make things a bit more confusing Russians ALWAYS have nicknames: Nadezhda = Nadia, Tatiana = Tania, Alexander = Sasha, and patronymes as middle names: Alexander Ivanovich Petrov (Ivan's son) and you need to keep track of all of them as you noticed when reading Russian classic novels, hehe.

Soviet era brought a new kind of Russian names, popular in Russia in the 20-s and the 30-s: Traktor (tractor) Elektron or Ninel (girls name, made of Lenin backwards), and such.

Here are some classic Swedish family names: Björk, Lind, Gran, Ek, Asp, Ask, Poppel (all tree names)
Swedish soldiers in the old days were named when recruited, often with names describing them: Rolig (=Funny) Djärv (=Bold) Stark (= Strong) or animals/birds like: Duva (Pidgeon) Falk (Falcon) Örn (Eagle)
The reason for this was to get rid of all the Anderssons and Svenssons (ppl earlier mostly had had patronym last name always, and the women were Andersdotter, Jonsdotter ect.)
Most common first names in Sweden today are Erik and Maria.

And as Midsummer now starts over here, Happy Midsummer from Stockholm from
Ingeli
(Do not forget to run naked 7 times around your house tomorrow night, or you wont see your groom/bride to be Wink )
(OR pick 7 kinds of flowers to put under your pillow to dream of the same groom/bride)

« Last Edit: 2007 June 21, 20:55:30 by ingeli » Logged
Baronetess
Lorelei
Grammar Police

I like pie. A cake is fine, too.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2007 June 21, 19:05:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Naming Tools and Guides

http://inch.stormpages.com/index.html -- What Not To Name The Baby

http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/index.html -- True Tales Of Bad, Bad Baby Names

http://nine.frenchboys.net/index.php -- A whole slew of name generators

Super INTJ.    MATY's Big Cat.    LOLcult.   Pescado: Like the ancient Egyptians, the Internet worships cats.
Sagana
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2007 June 21, 22:20:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some of these 'don't name your baby this' people need to get a life.

Unsouper
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2007 June 21, 22:46:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some of these 'don't name your baby this' people need to get a life.

Certainly the people who run the sites at the first two links do. The only thing I can think of is that it's supposed to be humor, and I don't get it.

For example, I worked with a black lady who was pregnant, and when her daughter was born she named her Kiesha.  I was curious, and asked her where the name came from.  It turns out that the name wasn't made up, but had African roots.  This is exactly the opposite of what the first site suggests in their first link.

We've got a lot better examples here of "don't name your baby this" than anything I saw on those sites.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2007 June 22, 08:03:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The only naming no-no I believe in is "don't give a child a first name that ends in the same letter as the last name begins with", just because it makes the name hard to pronounce without having to take an unnatural pause.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
notveryawesome
Stupid Schlemiel

INTJ. I like putting hats on my avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: 2007 June 22, 08:44:33 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Rhyming names are bad too. I once worked with somebody named Delores Flores.

Disclaimer: I am condescending, arrogant, pedantic, and have a foot-shaped mouth. I also like to throw stones from my glass house. Resemblance to any persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2007 July 31, 00:19:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Necromancy blah blah ...

Jumping here kinda late with a pretty funny name.  Totally real.  His last name was Vanderputte. What makes it funny is that pute (spelled differently) meant bitch or ho, in French slang.  He did pronounce it Vanderpoot.  I can imagine the teasing at school....oye vey.

On a different note, I tried to download that program that lets you use a word processing to import names and the link was dead.  Does anyone have it?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: