More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 13, 18:02:03

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Maxis does it again!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Maxis does it again!  (Read 60514 times)
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Maxis does it again!
« Reply #25 on: 2006 March 08, 17:22:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're worrying too much. Remember: It will grow back. A bad haircut is not the end of the world.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
justsayin
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2006 March 08, 19:03:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A bad haircut may grow back, but it will grow back much slower than a good one....
Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2006 March 08, 19:34:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aw, Renatus, that's a great picture!

Why thank you! Cheesy My amusing expressions + husband's steady hands on the camera = win!

I know what you mean.  Have you ever had your hair turn into icicles?  I have. 

Every winter during half of my teenager years, yes, since I walked to school. Hair being washed every day was and is non-negotiable; it turns into a greasy, horrible mess if I don't. I noticed that my locks of frozen hair rattling together sounded like sticks, and wondered (rather uneasily) if it would break off if I wasn't careful. It never did, but the frozenness extended the three hour natural drying time of my hair to four.

Then I wised up and cut it short. Never had the time or patience for hairdryers.

A bad haircut may grow back, but it will grow back much slower than a good one....

How does it grow back slowerCheesy It may seem like forever, but one's hair doesn't grow any more slowly than usual just because one has had a bad haircut. Growing out back to where it was may be slower if the stylist really did a butcher job, but growing back to where it is fixable, not so much.

I very much recommend the "cut it all off and worry about it later" approach, but having dealt with way too many bad stylists I DO suggest getting recommendations from friends who have haircuts you like. It can't hurt to take a bit of time to talk to the stylist before you make a commitment, either.

And I'm happy to hear that there is a men's hair hiding in there. I just hope it's good... Huh, maybe the programmers hide these things intentionally because they know people in the community will be poking around for things like that.

Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: 2006 March 08, 19:49:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think long hair is completely different for some people than others because of the texture of their hair.  My niece has long hair--it's very fine hair, but she has a ton of it.  She's learning to take care of it herself (you know those early teen years) and it's working out quite well--that is WHEN she remembers to shower frequently enough.  I have another niece, almost 7, who has hair thick enough for three kids her age.

I've had long hair my entire life, anywhere from just below my shoulder blades to so long if I wasn't careful it would hang in the toilet (now that's a pain!).  From my teens, I've washed it every other day, except for the past few years when any more than every three days turns it into a straw patch (yes, as you get older your oil glands do finally slow down!).  It takes me no longer than 10 minutes in the shower, and like DrBeast I rarely, if ever, use a hair dryer (hair dryers and heated curlers are the worst thing a person can do to their hair if they want to keep it long).  The only time I dry it is if I'm sick and having a head full of wet hair isn't such a good idea.

There are short hairstyles I like but I think long hair is much, much prettier.

That Maxis mesh is indeed a nice one!  I think, though, I'll wait until I have OFB and then download the file that will make it show rather than go with the whole mesh and textures thing.  My poor game is already bogged to the hilt!

idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2006 March 08, 19:52:58 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some people like long hair. Some people like short. I don't get how that turned into this long discussion.  Lips sealed But then again, this board has never been know to be very on topic.  Cheesy

No hairdrying device has ever come near my hair during the 7 years I've kept it long, it doesn't matter if it's freezing cold outside!

Edit to keep a semplance of on-topicness: that Maxis lost-and-found hair looks great! No wonder they left it out! It makes all their other hair look totally non-awesome!

No way! Never? My hair dries straight by itself, but whenever I blowdry, it adds so much volume to my limp hair, and I get this soft glossyness that just isn't there when I air dry. I just love the effect. I don't do it all the time for the sake of my hair, but if you trim regularly split ends shouldn't be a problem, yes?

And the Maxis hair looks great w/ that texture, but I highly doubt Maxis textured it. The other Maxis meshes can also look great w/ the right textures. Janna made these soft waves w/ the Meadow Thayer hair a long time ago that to this day I still absolutely love. Maybe Maxis should hire new texturers then - it would really make a difference.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2006 March 08, 20:00:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I just don't want to sacrifice my hair for a bad hair cut.

Might not be a sacrifice if it goes to Locks of Love:  http://www.locksoflove.org/

And could turn out to be the best cut ever  Smiley
« Last Edit: 2006 March 08, 20:32:29 by ZiggyDoodle » Logged
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2006 March 08, 20:02:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That Maxis mesh is indeed a nice one!  I think, though, I'll wait until I have OFB and then download the file that will make it show rather than go with the whole mesh and textures thing.  My poor game is already bogged to the hilt!

I agree, my game is so darned bloated I don't want to add further to it, especially when a texture and the mesh come with the expansion anyhow, why load them twice?

Where is Morague hanging out these days? Is she still at that place?  Roll Eyes

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
Viscountess
Batelle
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2006 March 08, 20:06:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Wow!  So OFB has brought us three nice women's hair meshes.  Great.

Renatus, I'm with you on the annoying nature of thick hair.  Everyone in my house has an abundance of it and my poor little sister's hair is uber curly on top of being dense.  I have a tendency to hack my hair off every couple of years.  I like it chin to shoulder length, but it grows so fast that upkeep starts to get a little pricey and it looks good long.  Right now it's about halfway down my back.  

Short hair is lovely, versatile and, according to my boyfriend's Zombie Survival Guide, those of you with short hair will be safer than the rest of us.  You know, when the zombies come.
cabelle
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2006 March 08, 20:10:13 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Short hair is lovely, versatile and, according to my boyfriend's Zombie Survival Guide, those of you with short hair will be safer than the rest of us.  You know, when the zombies come.

Ah, so I guess I'm zombie food. Wink My hair is a little more than halfway down my back. Though I usually wear it pulled back with a clip or in a bun.
akatonbo
Lipless Loser

a red dragonfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: 2006 March 08, 20:16:35 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I like OTHER people's long hair. Wink On me... well, I'm growing it out for a costume right now (the style I need is too short to easily get a wig), which for me means "off the ears, off the eyebrows, off the back of the neck". Otherwise it'd be buzzed.

Troubleshooting info: all EPs and SPs, most hacks Awesome but some not, no inTeen.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2006 March 08, 20:18:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Might not be a sacrifice if it goes to Loves of Love:  http://www.locksoflove.org/
That's disgusting! Why would you want to wear SOMEBODY ELSE'S HAIR?!? EEEWWWW!

One possibility of why it's "hidden" might be because it's intended to be accessible only to the Gold Salon Badge. Has anyone tried it? I'm noticing not a lot of people are apparently intent on earning that badge.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2006 March 08, 20:21:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well, could you take a look? Maybe see if they hid anything for the guys? Smiley

Remember - a bimbo is for life and not just for christmas!
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2006 March 08, 20:24:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Hmm, I know a couple of townies who have the badge. Actually one I moved in, an old bag vampire, so I will try it out with her since I never can get anyone to want a makeover from an employee assigned to the damned chair.

I know some of the stuff from that chair like the bad makeover hair and makeup are intentionally hidden so you're right, it could be that this is a hidden good makeover hair that you can only get with experience. Hopefully you can get it with a controllable sim with a gold badge and don't have to have an assigned employee do a random makeover to get it because, well, good luck getting that. :p

Renatus
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2006 March 08, 20:37:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think long hair is completely different for some people than others because of the texture of their hair.

Oh, definitely. My husband used to have long hair and it wasn't much of a problem for him, since his hair is fine and doesn't get greasy easily. Unfortuantely he needed to cut it short because after years of benign neglect it was quite damaged and looking very ragged. He used a hairdryer fairly frequently, because going out in the Finnish winter with wet hair would have been really stupid. I kind of miss it, although I don't miss getting facefuls of hair when I'm trying to sleep. Like akatonbo, I'm fine with long hair... on other people!

Unfortunately, if my mother is any indication, I'm stuck being a grease factory until I'm at least 45. Well, it's less than 20 years to wait, at any rate...

(hair dryers and heated curlers are the worst thing a person can do to their hair if they want to keep it long).

I'd say 40 vol peroxide is probably a little worse.  Cheesy My hair was incredibly coarse when I had it bleached white and no doubt would have been a tattered mess if I had let it get very long. It stood up into spikes with very little effort though (yes, on purpose)!  Cheesy

Renatus, I'm with you on the annoying nature of thick hair.  Everyone in my house has an abundance of it and my poor little sister's hair is uber curly on top of being dense.  I have a tendency to hack my hair off every couple of years.  I like it chin to shoulder length, but it grows so fast that upkeep starts to get a little pricey and it looks good long.  Right now it's about halfway down my back. 

Wah! I feel for her, mine was quite curly when I was 13. It was very damaged so I went to get it cut in what I thought would be a short bob... no. It curled profusely. I looked like a fat pixie and was not happy. It eventually straightened out to the point that it is just wavy enough to be completely uncooperative unless it is short. Mine also grows fast, but fortunately when I got married I also got a free stylist in form of my sister-in-law. Cheesy Before that I cut it myself for years - usually with an electric razor. Good thing for me I'm into punk...

It'd be interesting if the hair was actually an award for the badges. Hm, I'm tempted to fire up the game and cheat myself one on a sim to test it out. Although I still don't think it's fair that male sims keep getting jacked for good hair, one hidden one or not.

Assmitten
Whiny Wussy

Poop poop

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2006 March 08, 21:24:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know what you mean.  Have you ever had your hair turn into icicles?  I have.  Lately I've given in, and started partially drying my hair. It is more comfortable that way. 

But it's been 25 years and I'm getting  sick of it.  If I could only find a hairdresser that I trust not to butcher my hair and give me a good looking haircut, I'd have it cut in a flash.  I just don't want to sacrifice my hair for a bad hair cut.

Yes! It was really freeze-y where I grew up. I remember waiting for the bus as a kid and amusing my friends by making my hair stand straight up. And then it is sooo cold when it thaws.

I understand about the hairdresser thing. A few years ago it had been 15 years for me and I finally went to get something different, because every time I cut my hair I get the same layers, same bob, etc. The lady gave me layers with a "razor cut" and it made my hair so fuzzy! It sucked. I trust no one.

Maybe start with shoulder-length? Sometimes a little change can be really dramatic. Sometimes when I go from long to shorter I do that and then snip a few layers around my face. I have been cutting my own hair for 18 years now, and my boyfriend's, and my kids'. I probably have more experience than those supercuts girls who are straight out of the hair academy.  Tongue [/unsolicited advice]

<notovny> Aww, yeah, WOODBEAST.
<kutto> Keep it in your pants, notovny.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2006 March 09, 00:06:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I can report that a controlable sim with a gold cosmotology badge does not seem to have access to this hair among the ones you can choose from. It's still possible if I can ever get anyone to want a makeover from a non-controlable employee sim they could end up with this hair. It's possible they could get it by random chance where you don't get to pick, they just end up with it (like a bad makeover). And it's also possible Maxis intended for this to be only accessible to gold cosmotologists but screwed it up and never bothered to check if it was working like they did with the twins and cheesecake.

I must say, I rather like the idea that certain hairstyles would only be available to highly experienced cosmotologists.

idtaminger
Lipless Loser

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2006 March 09, 02:45:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Oh, wow. I just tried this hair ingame, and I have to say, right now it is my new favorite hair. The style is almost universally flattering, even on the slightly fug sims. It's gorgeous. Makes no sense why Maxis would hide such a great hairstyle. Huh
Viscountess
Batelle
Horrible Halfwit

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2006 March 09, 03:01:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The hairstyle looks good in photos, but it almost fails my "twirl" test.  When you rotate the sim, it sort of bulges out in the middle, but not at the point where the mesh hits the shoulders.  Very strange.
Li'l Brudder
The Quitter
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2006 March 09, 03:02:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Simple, it does.  They're MAXIS.  .SIXAM er'yehT  .soed ti ,elpmiS
chickengirl
Asinine Airhead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: 2006 March 09, 04:18:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The hairstyle looks good in photos, but it almost fails my "twirl" test.  When you rotate the sim, it sort of bulges out in the middle, but not at the point where the mesh hits the shoulders.  Very strange.

The same thing happened to me. It totally failed my "twirl" test. It just looked way too unnatural.

Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2006 March 09, 04:22:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think that is because they didn't export the mesh right, look at some of the other ones in the free area. A lot of them don't look right when they animate.

Simsbaby
Pinheaded Pissant

INTP - I didn't do it.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2006 March 09, 06:40:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Well I can report that a controlable sim with a gold cosmotology badge does not seem to have access to this hair among the ones you can choose from. It's still possible if I can ever get anyone to want a makeover from a non-controlable employee sim they could end up with this hair. It's possible they could get it by random chance where you don't get to pick, they just end up with it (like a bad makeover). And it's also possible Maxis intended for this to be only accessible to gold cosmotologists but screwed it up and never bothered to check if it was working like they did with the twins and cheesecake.

I must say, I rather like the idea that certain hairstyles would only be available to highly experienced cosmotologists.

If that is true they might show up in cas with the testing cheats.

DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2006 March 09, 09:15:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Some people like long hair. Some people like short. I don't get how that turned into this long discussion.  Lips sealed But then again, this board has never been know to be very on topic.  Cheesy

No hairdrying device has ever come near my hair during the 7 years I've kept it long, it doesn't matter if it's freezing cold outside!

Edit to keep a semplance of on-topicness: that Maxis lost-and-found hair looks great! No wonder they left it out! It makes all their other hair look totally non-awesome!

No way! Never? My hair dries straight by itself, but whenever I blowdry, it adds so much volume to my limp hair, and I get this soft glossyness that just isn't there when I air dry. I just love the effect. I don't do it all the time for the sake of my hair, but if you trim regularly split ends shouldn't be a problem, yes?

And the Maxis hair looks great w/ that texture, but I highly doubt Maxis textured it. The other Maxis meshes can also look great w/ the right textures. Janna made these soft waves w/ the Meadow Thayer hair a long time ago that to this day I still absolutely love. Maybe Maxis should hire new texturers then - it would really make a difference.

Yes way, N-E-V-E-R! I trim my hair every three or four months, and whenever I visit my hairdresser I hear praises about its condition (and an assorted mumbling from the old ladies waiting for their turn, like "now, that's a god-awful shame, a MAN with SUCH great hair!"). I wouldn't care a rat's portals about volume and looks and all that. I've never been a type who cares for looks, I'm with Pescado on this, the "I Look Ridiculous" club, hehe! Well, at least I can thank my old man for not carrying a baldness gene. I did get his "greying hair at your thirties" gene though. Even my beard shows traces of white!

Regarding the hair (the semblance of on-topicness, remember?). I think they left it out because, well, it looks unfinished. I checked it out in CAS, and whenever I rotated the sim a part of the hair seemed to vanish into the cheek. The left cheek to be more precise. Haven't noticed this with any other Maxis hair, but then again I didn't pay that much attention either.

Let the Beast inside you free!
Shivani
Dimwitted Dunce

Efficiency is intelligent laziness.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2006 March 09, 09:24:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In practicality, there's a point at which it becomes unwieldy and cumbersome.

I've had long hair my entire life, anywhere from just below my shoulder blades to so long if I wasn't careful it would hang in the toilet (now that's a pain!).

Uh, yeah.  The last time I cut my hair was a couple of years ago, and at that point it was down to my knees.  I can definitely attest to issues with trying to use the loo, especially if it was unbraided.  Naturally, it's been growing back and is just about down to my thighs again.  (My husband threatens to divorce me if I cut it much above the middle of my back, you see....)  Smiley
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2006 March 09, 11:33:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The difference between a good hair cut and a bad one?

6 weeks.   Tongue

I'm with Dr Beast - I NEVER dry my hair...  it dries naturally and is in much better condition than that of my colleagues who torture their hair with dying and drying...  oh yeah, I'm a 30+ year old woman who has NEVER dyed her hair...  yes, I'm a freak!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: