More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 02:43:26

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Advice on starting medieval hood
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Advice on starting medieval hood  (Read 6856 times)
Sunni
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
Advice on starting medieval hood
« on: 2010 February 02, 10:35:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I want to create a medieval hood using my own custom made map and no townies (of any kind ever if possible). I have all the expansions and no stuff packs. I doubt I'll need sub-hoods.

I read various posts about using cleaned hoods, etc, but got a little confused at which method would work best for me. Would Jordi's Clean Custom Neighborhood Tutorial  be the best approach? Also, can I play the hood without any townies or do I still have to create some (even if they are custom) for the hood to function properly?
Tarlia
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
Re: Advice on starting medieval hood
« Reply #1 on: 2010 February 02, 11:18:36 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I read various posts about using cleaned hoods, etc, but got a little confused at which method would work best for me. Would Jordi's Clean Custom Neighborhood Tutorial  be the best approach?

As I recall, that thread has a whole bunch of information, but yes, it's a good place to start. You will need clean templates in order to avoid getting pre-made townies, NPCs and bin families in your neighbourhood.

Also, can I play the hood without any townies or do I still have to create some (even if they are custom) for the hood to function properly?

Depends on what you mean by "townies". Townies as in simply unplayable sims (Benjamin Long, Ivy Copur & Company) you do not need at all, and with notownierespawn, you won't get any, either. Avoid building apartments (if you have AL) if you don't want any apartment townies.

What's commonly refered to as "NPCs" or "Service NPCs" is a bit different. These are the unplayables which perform a specific function, such as cashiers, firemen, maids, paper 12s, etc. Some of these you can easily avoid by having the antiredundancy hack in and then simply not doing the action required for them to be spawned. Don't ever hire a maid/gardener/call the social services/whatever, and none will be spawned. Don't place cash registers, bars, etc on community lots. If you want some of these, though, there are ways to modify their clothing so they fit your medieval theme.

Some NPCs WILL spawn on their own, but even most of those can be avoided. Use twojeffs' visitor controller to avoid the matchmaker and the Garden Club, and I think also the Charlatan. The paperkid can be avoided by getting some buyable newspapers and putting three in a hidden location on every lot, but one might still spawn from the hobby magazine popups. I don't think there's any way to avoid the mailcarrier, unless the visitor controller can ban those too. Also, if your sims engage in hobbies, the hobby leader sims will spawn at some point.

Also, nostrayrespawn for, well, no strays.

Good luck.
Sunni
Tasty Tourist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010 February 02, 15:26:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thanks Tarlia for your quick and informed response. I figured I'd have to "fix" a few NPCs to fit the theme, but that is good to know that I do not need general townies and can avoid some npcs altogether. Fingers crossed I can follow the tutorial to get rid of those maxis freaks! lol
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010 February 04, 05:58:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

If you already know this, I apologise for being redundant, but you may wish to look at Simlogical for alternative schools. Nothing screws up a medieval hood quite like a school bus.

The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.
   Guards! Guards! (Terry Pratchett)
haifen
Crapsack
Retarded Reprobate

#hashtag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010 February 05, 16:05:27 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The whole school thing sounds fun initially but it can get really tedious especially when you consider how much play time it requires. An alternative would be to send the kids walking to school (and likewise the adults to work) and there are carpool replacements (bus included) on MTS2.

One thing I recommend, which isn't a big deal but pickers-of-nits like me get annoyed by it, is to avoid apartments so that you don't have to re-clothe the landlord/lady. Also if you have default replacement roads, the street won't match the default replacements in-lot in-game and since they're outside of apartments, you can't edit them, so it looks bad. They're both cosmetic but then again most period players care about those sort of things.

16:29   spockers   I fucking hate going to see movies in theaters now.
16:30   spockers   Unless it's a really fancy old-style movie palace type place, but even then some dick will pull out their Appleberry in the middle of the film and start tweeting about wanting Chris Brown to beat them up
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 2010 February 05, 16:08:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

One of my Sims2 mods (the school changer along with the Flexi school type file) does provide an option for the kids to go to "flexi school" which is basiclly no school at all - leaving you free to educate at home or not educate at all.

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2010 February 06, 02:19:49 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I use the flexi school option along with the homework desk (pencil only version) and love it. It's perfect not just for medieval settings, but for any rural or alternative neighbourhood. *cough* teen parents *cough*

The reason that clichés become clichés is that they are the hammers and screwdrivers in the toolbox of communication.
haifen
Crapsack
Retarded Reprobate

#hashtag

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010 February 06, 04:13:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

16:29   spockers   I fucking hate going to see movies in theaters now.
16:30   spockers   Unless it's a really fancy old-style movie palace type place, but even then some dick will pull out their Appleberry in the middle of the film and start tweeting about wanting Chris Brown to beat them up
croiduire
Malodorous Moron

INTP

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010 February 06, 07:34:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, I know. My pants are so tight they show a full camel toe and I can't actually sit down. I crash so often I named the hood Sholokhov, in honour of the author I've been reading as I wait for it to reload. (I needed something long and engrossing.) But I am unrepentant. It's only a testerhood, and when it works, it's so much fun.  Cheesy

Dragon Slave
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010 February 06, 09:02:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I love Inge's school mods and use the flexi school one with the homework place-mat for my home-schooled families.  If you still want something like a school bus to come, Hexameter on MTS has made historical replacement vehicles.  Also, All About Style for NPC outfits.  They're not medieval based, but anything is better than modern, I guess.  You probably already know about these since All About Style is one of the best resources for historical clothing.  I wanted to throw the idea out just in case.
MoonKat
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010 February 13, 03:35:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

A Midsimmer Night's Dream and The Dark Project on MTS are also good for medieval clothing and objects. Wink

"Cake: The other white meat."
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: