More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 07, 01:50:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Slow cashiers!
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Slow cashiers!  (Read 3692 times)
sunkitten
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
Slow cashiers!
« on: 2006 April 05, 10:54:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I transformed the Mercantile Mart into a modern art gallery for one of my Sim families to own. None of them had badges at first, so they hired a couple of employees. One had a silver cash register badge.

Anyway, I noticed that a *lot* of customers were throwing down their bags in disgust after waiting too long at the register. The cashier was just standing there... and standing there... and standing there. So I assigned her to "tidy up" and the owner called one of his daughters in to work the cash. I cheated and gave the daughter a gold cash register badge, but she does the same thing. Sometimes she'd ring up the customers promptly, other times not. So the same thing would happen with customers throwing bags down and leaving the store.  Roll Eyes

It drives me nuts to watch that. Real cashiers wouldn't just stand there looking like doofuses with a line of customers waiting to be rung up. Is there any way to fix this, some kind of hack out there or is it possible to make one? I'm just curious, not requesting anything.

SunKitten
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
Re: Slow cashiers!
« Reply #1 on: 2006 April 05, 11:06:26 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I'm sure it has something to do with the pulse rate of the action. I can look into it sometime, there's probably a minimum-idle-time before it even checks for things. But this soudns like a different problem.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006 April 05, 14:13:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Real cashiers wouldn't just stand there looking like doofuses with a line of customers waiting to be rung up.

Agreed. Nor should summa cum laude graduates of Uni with full logic skills take 20 Sims minutes to press a few keys on the register.

I've often wondered why Maxis didn't make a positive game connection between Uni and OFB.

Karen
Malodorous Moron

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 April 05, 14:26:18 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You're expecting logic from Maxis??  The same people who decided that being an artist requires a college degree but being a doctor doesn't? 

Actually I agree with you, and I also think that intelligence (affected by smart milk) should play a role in how fast they learn badges.  Unfortunately, it doesn't.

Karen
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 April 05, 14:30:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maxis is not known for interlinked integration of anything. This is why every single expansion pack tends to produce a collection of interactions, behaviors, and functionalities that seem entirely disconnected from each other. Indeed, this is even apparent in the original game: Few things are actually interconnected, as evidenced in the fact that sims gleefully accept marriage proposals that they greatly fear, which makes no sense unless you realize everything in TS2 is basically disconnected from everything else, outside of the rare exception which exists often for bizarre and illogical reasons. Like that entire terlet/shower connection. For the longest time that made absolutely no sense, but for some reason they chose to connect those things.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
ZiggyDoodle
Retarded Reprobate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 April 05, 19:45:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Maxis is not known for interlinked integration of anything

A missed opportunity.  Uni grads get those little diplomas so it should have been quite easy to link the diploma with some type of OFB perk.  Maxis probably would have gained some Uni sales with that tweak.

Maybe their marketing people don't play the game - or are located in a different building, state, or country.
Ruann
Dimwitted Dunce

An overactive male imagination

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 2006 April 05, 20:52:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually I think they do that on purpose.  They don't want you to have to buy a previous expansion to use a new one, and they don't want you to feel like you're being goaded into doing so for the extra perk.  The only thing they've really taken into account with NL and OFB from UNI is the LTW system.  Even that has only been relatively minor.  (Pleasure Sims have two native non-job wants, Grilled Cheese Sims have one LTW total, and OFB only added the 5 Rank 10 Businesses).
Regina
Malodorous Moron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2006 April 06, 07:17:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually I think they do that on purpose.  They don't want you to have to buy a previous expansion to use a new one, and they don't want you to feel like you're being goaded into doing so for the extra perk. 

You're kidding, right?  Half of the features they 'advertised' in their pre-release chats (waaaaaay back before TS2 ever hit the store shelves) were left out of the base game and have been added in the expansion packs.  It seems to me one of their main goals is to make people feel like they need to buy the expansions to experience the entire fullness of the game.  Why else would've they waited until Uni to add Lifetime Wants and perma-plat? (Not discounting the possibility they simply ran out of time when the original was still in development.)  And I really don't think one extra perk would make people rush right out and buy that piece of garbage Uni.

My opinion is that it's not better implemented because the developers are extremely limited on time and have to keep pushing everything out, ready or not.  Likely as not, though, if things were done correctly we'd be waiting two years for an expansion. Wink

MutantBunny
Knuckleheaded Knob

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006 April 06, 18:01:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually I think they do that on purpose.  They don't want you to have to buy a previous expansion to use a new one, and they don't want you to feel like you're being goaded into doing so for the extra perk.  The only thing they've really taken into account with NL and OFB from UNI is the LTW system.  Even that has only been relatively minor.  (Pleasure Sims have two native non-job wants, Grilled Cheese Sims have one LTW total, and OFB only added the 5 Rank 10 Businesses).

*points and laughs* Right... Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: