More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 02, 16:49:02

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540270 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Memory leak?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Memory leak?  (Read 15267 times)
ScoobyDoo
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
Re: Memory leak?
« Reply #25 on: 2007 September 20, 22:45:02 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This might be helpful for removing securom...

Anandtech - SecuROM Discussion Thread
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=80&threadid=2088930&enterthread=y
Kralore
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2007 September 20, 23:23:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

When I first heard about the complaints about choppy and lagging gameplay in Bon Voyage, the first thing I thought of was Rollercoaster Tycoon 3.  When Atari released the Wild expansion for this game, they used Securom 7, and there was a huge issue with framerates at night in the game (FPS would drop to almost nothing).  It was an issue with the securom 7 and they released a patch to fix the problem.

-- 2nd message in the thread -- Re: RCT3: Wild! Patch #1 Released -- http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514212

I wonder if this is the same thing happening with Bon Voyage?
lemonfresh
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2007 September 21, 17:37:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have only awsomeness in my downloads folder, the MATY Director's Cut (the most recent version, I check twice a day).  No other cc or hacks.  I have all EPs and all SPs at the moment.  I was not complaining, merely offering stats I had noticed that may support the as-yet-unconfirmed-by-EAXIS memory leak.

Mitchellcjs

I didn't think you were complaining, I was just curious as to whether a lot of CC was adding to the problem or not. It doesn't appear to be the case, as I was running with CC and Awesomeness and get similar results as you. I took out CC and left Awesomeness in yesterday and am still getting the same results. I'm guessing that running vanilla game wouldn't make much difference either, other than to maybe buy a bit more time before the game went up in flames. Tongue

Everyone knows milk goes in rubber gloves, not bags.
Count
jolrei
Senator

Son of Perdition

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2007 September 21, 18:57:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I didn't think you were complaining, I was just curious as to whether a lot of CC was adding to the problem or not. It doesn't appear to be the case, as I was running with CC and Awesomeness and get similar results as you. I took out CC and left Awesomeness in yesterday and am still getting the same results. I'm guessing that running vanilla game wouldn't make much difference either, other than to maybe buy a bit more time before the game went up in flames. Tongue

Running a vanilla game will not deal with lag issues.  Some of the awesome hacks may help, and they do not contribute to lag, in any case.  Running with the puter disconnected from the internet, running without the launcher, turning down some graphics settings (i.e. shadows), and closing nonessential processes on the task manager before starting also help to deal with lag.  If the issue is related to memory leakage or securom, these may be stopgap measures, but they certainly don't hurt.

Running without awesome hacks (such as antiredundancy) may (will?) contribute to lag as the game will continually try to spawn unnecessary NPCs in vacation hoods (i.e. tour guides, charlatans, etc.), and will lag every time it does so.

Tribulatio proxima est
Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2007 September 21, 20:33:20 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

My comp is getting a little old but it still rocks and I have never had a lag when I was running a new neighborhood with no CC"s before--something is definately wrong.  Ever since the new NVidea driver I had never had a crash and my neighborhood is 1.3 gig and I have 7.1 gigs of downloads, so crashing in a new neighborhood is definately EAaxis's fault.  I also have crashing because of audio errors, this weekend I was going to reinstall fresh, but now I'm afraid to.
jsalemi
Town Crier
Vacuous Vegetable

In dog we trust, all others pay cash...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2007 September 21, 21:39:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have noticed more audio errors, especially while hoods and lots are loading -- the sound skips, or 'hiccups' while the loading screen is visible. Fortunately it doesn't crash, but it's annoying.

(I have an ATI card, FYI, and a Audigy 4 sound card.)

Excelsior, you fathead!
I am Canadian.
Process Denied
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2007 September 22, 02:08:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have noticed more audio errors, especially while hoods and lots are loading -- the sound skips, or 'hiccups' while the loading screen is visible. Fortunately it doesn't crash, but it's annoying.

Mine didn't either till last night.  The stereo had a skip(Downtown lot-so I lost everything)and the screen immediately went to desk top without even a message.  I went back and muted all sound except for voices and it helped-at least I don't hear the hiccups.
Celestard
Racist Stalker
Retardo Lander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: 2007 September 25, 23:33:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Just thought I'd share this informaton.  I haven't had any of these problems because I have been using a no-cd crack from this website

http://www.gameburnworld.com/pcgamefixess.shtml

I use a shortcut to the cracked exec on my desktop, it bypasses the launcher and doesn't try to "phone home", also I believe this crack disables SecuRom.

My understanding is that you can not uninstall the SecuRom or the game won't run, but with it disabled it can't do anything anyway.
« Last Edit: 2007 September 25, 23:39:51 by sissyangel » Logged

Proof MATY schticks are a LIE!
Quote from: J. M. Pescado
It doesn't have to be TRUE to be funny. All we need is to take some minor thing you said, blow it up out of context, multiply by over 9000, and voila, you have a schtick. Sims are all about caricature, after all.
Mirelly
Pinheaded Pissant

Pompous Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: 2007 September 26, 11:36:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

To all the sage advice above, (for OS Win 9x - XP) RAMBOOSTER (http://www.sci.fi/~borg/rambooster/) is a cute little utility which generally pays for its own relatively meagre resource use with memory freeing power.

me shit
Wayward Ink now with SMF shiny and no ads
I see the Dome is filled with Lamb Chop conspiracy theories. The only authentic Mirelly sock is "readordead", who will not be posting, for obvious reasons.
ScoobyDoo
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2007 September 27, 22:04:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Aren't 3rd party memory managers virtually worthless in NT? I know over at anandtech it's highly not recommended.
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2007 October 04, 03:10:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I outright crashed the other night because it ran out of memory, only 32mb (either 32mb or 64mb) left out of 2 Gigabytes  Undecided  I was trying to get all the townies to show up on the lot though, but it's never crashed like that in previous expansions.  Perhaps that particular option on the npc & townie maker (which looks like the repo mans gun now) is bugged.
veilchen
Terrible Twerp

We are the ADS! Bow to us!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2007 October 04, 04:36:59 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought it was my grampa of a computer that was at fault. EA has us well brainwashed, have they not? I have the same problem to the point that I keep thinking the game will crash to desktop any second now. I have an ATI Radeon 9600 - nothing to brag about, but no slouch either.

What if someone installed BV onto a peripheral hard-drive? One that gets plugged into a bus-port. Would that still sneak the SecuRom malware into the main CPU?

~Having the last word is not all it's cracked up to be.~
~All we have to do is remove those who oppose us.~ (Saruman, LotR)
~Wir sind die Roboter~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R23e9VO_vOI&feature=related
ScoobyDoo
Corpulent Cretin

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2007 October 04, 05:22:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I thought it was my grampa of a computer that was at fault. EA has us well brainwashed, have they not? I have the same problem to the point that I keep thinking the game will crash to desktop any second now. I have an ATI Radeon 9600 - nothing to brag about, but no slouch either.

What if someone installed BV onto a peripheral hard-drive? One that gets plugged into a bus-port. Would that still sneak the SecuRom malware into the main CPU?

Once you run bon voyage or any app that contains securom, it'll have access to windows registery, at which point it'll do whatever it wants to do. Theres also a good chance that it uses  window environment variables %program files% Huh to install it's stuff.  The only way I know offhand to stop this is install it with a limited accounted and i'm sure they know how to cheat around that.  Angry

BTW you mean main hard drive?
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: