More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 21, 14:13:31

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540276 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  What do YOU do with your platinum people?
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: What do YOU do with your platinum people?  (Read 40120 times)
windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
What do YOU do with your platinum people?
« on: 2005 September 26, 23:46:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I recently installed Uni and have my first permenantly platinium person.  He didn't actually achieve a LTW, he just sort of stuck platinum while I was using the lot debugger to re-roll some lame ass LTWs for him.   I figure, cool, let's see what playing a permenant platinum Sim is like.

Roll Eyes  'kay, this is kind of boring.  I like playing the daily wants and keeping my Sims as happily happy as they can be, no matter how much work.  This Sim happens to be Daniel Pleasant, married to Kaylynn with one teenager, retired and cash strapped. 62 days old.

Up until now, Daniel was a challenge...Romance Sim, challenge keeping him happy without straying, you know? 

Now he's bored and I'm waiting for him to die.  No elixir for you!

We fired the maid and he cleans all day.  He cooks.  He just built a little garden and now he gardens. (Thank you Macrotastics!)  For god's sake, he's old and he putters!

For Daniel, this is what he deserves, honestly, I'm okay with that.  But I have Sims I really care about who are young and vital and close to LTW status.  Reaching for the LTWs is fun but....

Is this all there is?  What do you do next?

P.S.  How close to 62 is dying, in Sim general?  * tapping foot, hiding elixir *

Reality is for those who lack imagination.
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
Re: What do YOU do with your platinum people?
« Reply #1 on: 2005 September 26, 23:54:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose the good thing to having your Sim in permanent platinum is that you don't have the constant hassle of fulfilling wants for them, which in a big sim family can be more stressful than relaxing while playing the game imo.

So then rather than having to fulfill wants, you can in theory let 'em run wild and free....doing whatever their little simmy hearts desires.

It's a bit like working all of your life, then having enough money to go nuts with  Smiley

As for a sim of age 62?

The bad news is I had a Sim reach 89 days old if I recall. Hopwever I did keep him quite fit and active until he died. I heard somewhere that if an elder sim becomes unfit and doesn't do much i.e: participate in living in general, than I think they may shuffle off their mortal coil a bit younger than expected.

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 September 26, 23:55:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

The bad news is I had a Sim reach 89 days old if I recall. Hopwever I did keep him quite fit and active until he died. I heard somewhere that if an elder sim becomes unfit and doesn't do much i.e: participate in living in general, than I think they may shuffle off their mortal coil a bit younger than expected.
I have not found any evidence to substantiate this claim.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
vecki
Querulous Quidnunc

Moar Average Than You

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 September 27, 00:01:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I dunno.  Morty Goth was about 65 days old when he carked it, but my Danny Pleasant is about 70 days old and only half way through elderhood.  Not permaplat though, so I'm having to keep him happy with plenty grandchildren from Angela & Dustin and Lilith & Dirk.  He and Mary-Sue reconciled and he seems determined to be a good husband this time round. He does like talking to his four boys from Kaylynn though.  And he just keeps spinning up the grandchildren wants.  He's got three so far.

Simone Le Gassey, my first legacy founder, is a few days off of dying (she's about 75 I think) and permaplat.  She's just retired so she can babysit the spare grandkid Basil (the heir Ben is away at college).  I've been holding off playing the Le Gasseys much lately because I don't want her to die!  She's possibly my favourite sim!

<insert witty comment here>
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005 September 27, 00:02:03 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have not found any evidence to substantiate this claim.

What evidence J.M?
That if they're unfit and lazy that they die younger?
Or that it's just pot luck at what age a sim reaches before he dies?

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005 September 27, 00:06:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I suppose the good thing to having your Sim in permanent platinum is that you don't have the constant hassle of fulfilling wants for them, which in a big sim family can be more stressful than relaxing while playing the game imo.

So then rather than having to fulfill wants, you can in theory let 'em run wild and free....doing whatever their little simmy hearts desires.

Apparently Daniel wants to putter, huh, but he doesn't look very happy, platinum and everything, puttering around while his young wife (she gets Elxir) and youngest daughter are living life.  

It's a bit like working all of your life, then having enough money to go nuts with  Smiley

Maybe that will work for my rich Sims.  Daniel and Kaylynn are always scraping.

As for a sim of age 62?

OH MY GOD, 89?  

Sigh. Maybe they have to get a pool.   Wink

Kaylynn and Penelope (teenager) are integral to some good story lines... I can't avoid the house.  I hate killing Sims off, but this feels like euthinasia.  The most excitement he gets is when Kaylynn needs a smooch for her daily wants.

Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 September 27, 00:10:45 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

the number of days an elder has to live appears to be set at the time they age...

I usually use on of inge's shrubs to tell me how long they have, and routinely suck off about 10 days with merola's painting...  somewhere in the 70s seems to be about averages

Ness
Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 2005 September 27, 00:12:34 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Have you tried using the LotDeBugger to toggle-off the permanent plat?  At least then there is some purpose again to achieving wants.   Either Maxis didn't think all this LTW thing through enough, or didn't test it enough, because it's simply far too easy to achieve.  Now that the LTW mod isn't functioning anymore, my Sims are back to rolling stupid career wants and the same ones over & over.  The situation is even worse when you have zombies and now the vampires.

I have decided that I am probably going to extend the adult period by 10 years, then remove that 10 years when they become elders.  I just can't cope with near enough 30 years for every elder, and that's what it's going to be once my first graduates start making elder - I have one now who is literally hours away and many more to follow.  He is on hold at present because his girlfriend (he's Romance, never married!) is hopefully about to become my first vampire (I am trying SO hard not to cheat with this) and I can't decide whether to extend him by 10 years, have her bite him, or just let him age.    He's had late middle-age wrinkles and stuff for a while now to look the part.  All that romancing has taken it out of him.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Gus Smedstad
Lipless Loser

Dabbler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005 September 27, 00:17:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Since Platinum People are dull, I try and put them in a household with a younger couple, and I just ignore them while I play everyone else in the household.  This doesn't work if the younger couple is completely baby crazy, of course, but often it works out well enough with the more reproductively restrained ones.

In fact, I find Platinum People so dull that I simply don't work toward Lifetime Wants.  I'll make gestures like put the Sim in the right job, but that's about it.  I'll fulfill the LTW shortly before they die of old age just to get the gold headstone, but only if it's easy.

I stopped using the Elixer of Life a long time ago.  Even without permanent platinum, Sims who have been around for a long time become less interesting.  They just don't have as much to strive for unless they're Popularity sims striving for the 30th best friend or Romance sims striving for that 30th love.  It's kind of nice for a Sim's story to end.

- Gus

Fine, I can see why people hate the Sims 3 sigs.
windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 September 27, 00:35:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

the number of days an elder has to live appears to be set at the time they age...

I usually use on of inge's shrubs to tell me how long they have, and routinely suck off about 10 days with merola's painting...  somewhere in the 70s seems to be about averages

Ness

Oh my, I did not know that Inge's shrub (which I love, how many times have I said that) could give me the days remaining info.  I'll check that out tomorrow morning...children monopolizing Sim computer at the moment.

If I know how many days are left, I can make Daniel a decent story to go with them.  He's been good for plots up until now, needs a decent send off.

Have you tried using the LotDeBugger to toggle-off the permanent plat?  At least then there is some purpose again to achieving wants.   Either Maxis didn't think all this LTW thing through enough, or didn't test it enough, because it's simply far too easy to achieve.  Now that the LTW mod isn't functioning anymore, my Sims are back to rolling stupid career wants and the same ones over & over.  The situation is even worse when you have zombies and now the vampires.

I figure that I could unstick Daniel some way if I tried hard enough, but what really concerns me is, say, my guy Maximus March who I raised from a toddler CAS and is one of my favorites.  *this* far from the Knowledge LTW of maxing all skills.  Another favorite, Elizabeth Dupree (Sims 1 recreate) who is nearly a Celebrity Chef.   These Sims are far from Elders....

I'm hoping that acheiving LTWs doesn't turn into a death sentence...although that is a sweet irony, isn't it?

Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 September 27, 00:38:42 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Am I the only one that think that the platinum mood is good?

I use the JMP's  nodiscriminationage, and my elder sims work till the day they die; then I resurrect them, and they continue their jobs, like the adults. Each time they reach a Life Time Want, I change their job, and get one according the new LTW.

And I like very much the elders couples to live alone; they are busy most of the time with wants about the spouse, host their kids, and are happy to be alone - yes, even Daniel...Smiley.

I didn't divorse him from Mary-Sue. Mary-Sue fired Kayilyin (I can't stand that maid), and hired another maid. I made her sexy and attractive - even other sims wanted to flirt with her, and Daniel fell again in love with her, and never showed a want for Kayilyin, even with the love sign. They made another baby, and are very happy...Smiley. At the last days of Daniel, the tumbnail on the neighbourhood screen showed for the first time Daniel kissing Mary-Sue, and the "cheating sign" dissapeared...Smiley.

In a life that never ends, you can achieve a lot of LTWs...Smiley.
Ness
Hairy-Bellied Heretic
Terrible Twerp

DOWN WITH CHEESE!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005 September 27, 01:11:00 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

about inge's shrub - it's the days left shrub...

I've actually got three shrubs of hers that I use - the teleporter plus, days left and stay things - couldn't be without them!

although, the inventory in nightlife makes stay things a little useless...

I don't mind the permanent platinum - permanent platinum grandparents are great to help raise babies so parents don't have to miss work - I just find that once they reach permenent platinum and are elders, I get bored with them very quickly...

I think it's the mood thing - not worrying too much about the wants is fine, but some compromise where the day-to-day wants don't matter, but you still need to worry about keeping them in a good mood would suit me better - although, I know that's probably impossible...

Ness
nothingbutsims
« Reply #12 on: 2005 September 27, 01:24:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Am I the only one that think that the platinum mood is good?

I like the permanent platinum myself.  Even with that, I still find myself trying to meet my sim's wants.  After all, why should they suffer just because they are platinum, right?  Sometimes I go after a second LTW, depending on what it is, but usually, I'm just content that they're platinum.  I don't like the constant fluctuations in the aspiration meter, especially if a fear accidentally pops up.  At least with a permanent platinum, if a fear does roll up, you don't have to worry about them bottoming out.
windy_moon
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005 September 27, 01:29:22 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

about inge's shrub - it's the days left shrub...

I've actually got three shrubs of hers that I use - the teleporter plus, days left and stay things - couldn't be without them!

Now I remember, thank you. Kids just went to bed, time to download another Inge Shrub! (for a mound of grey fatness, she's pretty handy)

I don't mind the permanent platinum - permanent platinum grandparents are great to help raise babies so parents don't have to miss work - I just find that once they reach permenent platinum and are elders, I get bored with them very quickly...

I think it's the mood thing - not worrying too much about the wants is fine, but some compromise where the day-to-day wants don't matter, but you still need to worry about keeping them in a good mood would suit me better - although, I know that's probably impossible...

Ness

I think what's missing is the next level of incentive....which is really the problem with career tracks, too, which are just too easy for a skillin', want playing Simmer to run up.

I'm hoping the business EP is structured so that it can't be conquered to Easy Street.  Real life is about reaching to get the next thing, not actually getting there...in my warped story book (which is the Sims stories I like to make).

Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2005 September 27, 01:51:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At the last days of Daniel, the tumbnail on the neighbourhood screen showed for the first time Daniel kissing Mary-Sue, and the "cheating sign" dissapeared...Smiley.

I've heard about this cheating sign before, what exactly is it?  I think it was something along the lines of if the Sim is standing behind their partner, doing the thumbs-up, they're either being unfaithful or want to be?  Anyone got a rundown on what the different screens are depicting?  I didn't even realise they had any particular meaning until very recently.

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
Velax
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 September 27, 01:51:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I heard somewhere that if an elder sim becomes unfit and doesn't do much i.e: participate in living in general, than I think they may shuffle off their mortal coil a bit younger than expected.

I was under the impression that a sim's aspiration level as they transition to the next age tier was what determined how many days that tier lasts.
Andygal
Deformed Freak
Nitwitted Nuisance

Now with new and improved avatar!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005 September 27, 02:17:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have two perma plat uni grads, I've been cycling them through careers to earn the rewards, they get promotions easily because they are always in a perfect mood and they have good skills and the bonus for graduating Summa Cum Laude means they can get career rewards and good jobs very quickly. They are about to be elders though, no idea what I will do with them once I can't cycle them through jobs anymore.
Motoki
Lord of the Nannies
Uncouth Undesirable

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 September 27, 02:39:31 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I kind of let my permanent platinum people do whatever the heck they want and just leave them be for the most part as long as they aren't going around stirring up the shit (unless I want them to stir up the shit Wink ). Especially for the ones who are elders I figure they deserve it.

I have had some perma platinum immortals too. In my old neighborhood I had a zombie couple like that and my vampire in the one house I am playing now just reached her lifetime want. I kind view them as live in townies or npcs and make minimal effort to control them. Actually, since they don't have to worry about aging and dying or wants it's kind of like playing TS1.

In communist China Peggy's hairs cut you!
aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 September 27, 03:31:48 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I heard somewhere that if an elder sim becomes unfit and doesn't do much i.e: participate in living in general, than I think they may shuffle off their mortal coil a bit younger than expected.

I was under the impression that a sim's aspiration level as they transition to the next age tier was what determined how many days that tier lasts.

Yes, I made a mistake there and it was brought to my attention in an earlier post.

Duchess
gali
Crazy Lollipop
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 September 27, 04:04:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

At the last days of Daniel, the tumbnail on the neighbourhood screen showed for the first time Daniel kissing Mary-Sue, and the "cheating sign" dissapeared...Smiley.

I've heard about this cheating sign before, what exactly is it? I think it was something along the lines of if the Sim is standing behind their partner, doing the thumbs-up, they're either being unfaithful or want to be? Anyone got a rundown on what the different screens are depicting? I didn't even realise they had any particular meaning until very recently.

When you open the family tumbnail, you have 4 possible relations showed:
1) One sim kisses the other - sign of great love
2) One sim puts a "v" with his hand over the head of the other sim - sign of a cheating and not-reliable sim.
3) A couple hugging, with hands around the waist - stabile and faithful relation of both
4) Two separated sims, no touching each other - that the worst, usually it showes in couples which are "tired" of each other, mostly elders.

In the first tumbnail Daniel makes the "v" with his hand over Mary-Sue's head.
In their last days as elders - Daniel kisses Mary-Sue.

The opposite I had with Brandy Broke and her new spouse: in the first tumbnail he kisses Brandi, and I got even the woohoo clip with each woohooing in the tub.
When they got elders, the tumbnail changed to "two separate sims", and I didn't get anymore the woohoo clip - it passed to Beau...Smiley.
laylei
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 September 27, 05:07:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perma Plat is kind of boring in regular play, but it's great in Legacy families. "Perma plat? THANK GOD. I never have to worry about you again!"
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 September 27, 05:10:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Where did you get that info, Gali? I never knew the family portraits had hidden meanings. Cool! I thought the "v" behind the head was like rabbit ears. My very first family ever created (long long long ago) had that sign, and the wife was doing the "v" behind her romance hubby's head. She was family. She was also playful. And she also wanted to cheat?! Oh, Maryanne Bayfield, you've disappointed me...acting all family-like and stuff.  Angry But I've seen it after that by romance sims as well, which makes more sense. Still, sweet little innocent Maryanne secretly wanting to cheat disturbs me.

And I have fun with the perma-plat sims. I have a full house, and a few are perma plats. They are the ones who can now do all the soap opera story lines without worrying about fulfilling goals. Now it's playtime! I have enough non-perma plats in the house to keep me busy, otherwise. I do have one platinum teen, though, and I'm not sure what to do about him. I wasn't even trying to go for his lifetime goal. It just happened. He got 20 best friends and that was it. Over. So much for the Pleasure aspiration.

I play differently that most people, I think. I have my set of characters, keep them at certain ages, and play them through various storylines. I haven't gotten sick of them, yet. And I still get surprises, which adds to the fun. Like my super-faithful popularity sim who just had his first affair. He didn't reject a flirt by a female friend of his, and thanks to no romance mod, he developed a crush instantly. I decided to let him go with it, because he really hasn't had much of a storyline in a while. Always the ever-faithful hubby to his romance-wife (who really, really tried to be faithful. Really, she did.), and suddenly he's fathered a child by another woman from a one-night stand. The wife has "adopted" the child, though, and is raising him with the father. This was very recent, so she still has flaming thoughts of the "other woman" while making out with her hubby, though. So I'm not going through all the life stages, retiring elder sims to make room for the newer generation, which is how the game was intended to be played, I know. But I'm content doing it my way. So, platinum or not, it's almost meaningless to me. I'm just looking for the next juicy storyline.
« Last Edit: 2005 September 27, 05:26:11 by Brynne » Logged
Hook
Nitwitted Nuisance

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 September 27, 05:25:41 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think making Sims permanent platinum might have been a mistake.  I think they'd be more fun to play if it took longer for aspiration to decay instead.

Currently, it takes 8 hours for a Sim with full platinum to decay into gold.  It takes 16 additional hours to decay into green.  If achieving a lifetime want added 50% to this time, you would have 12 hours of platinum and 24 of gold.  Additional LTW's satisfied could add a similar amount, giving a purpose to getting additional lifetime wants.

At first I enjoyed playing perma-platinum Sims.  After a while, it gets boring.  The best use I've found so far for perma-platinum elders is staying home and taking care of grandchildren.

Achieving a lifetime want is a worthwhile goal;  it gives my Sims something to do.  Once it's achieved, about the only thing they're good for is having and raising kids.  I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tired of raising Sim kids.

Hook

If some is good and more is better, then too much ought to be just about right.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 September 27, 05:51:37 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I play differently that most people, I think. I have my set of characters, keep them at certain ages, and play them through various storylines. I haven't gotten sick of them, yet. And I still get surprises, which adds to the fun. Like my super-faithful popularity sim who just had his first affair. He didn't reject a flirt by a female friend of his, and thanks to no romance mod, he developed a crush instantly.
Ah, yes. I understand Nightlife makes this a royal pain in the neck, and field reports suggest that this is going to be very, very difficult to resolve.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Marchioness
Brynne
Smells Like Pee
Souped!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 September 27, 05:58:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

There are quite a few added elements to be considered, that's for sure. But the way it is now, romance sims, or, rather, "successful" romance sims, can not go on a date downtown, lest they be slapped by all 40 sims they have bedded, who, of course, are also out for a rousing night of karaoke. They must stick to backyard barbeques for the time being. And a game of myshuno, perhaps, if they're feeling really crazy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: