More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 06, 10:21:36

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6513 Members
Latest Member: Linnie
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Mod suggestion : Rent instead of buy
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Mod suggestion : Rent instead of buy  (Read 11309 times)
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
Mod suggestion : Rent instead of buy
« on: 2006 January 18, 00:19:25 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I know the code exist for University, however, not being a modder, I have no idea how difficult this would be to mod.

I wish you could opt to rent instead of buying. So what I envision is no cash down to move in a house of any size, bigger monthly bills, and of course when you move out you get only the value of the items your purchased if you leave them behind.

I suppose I could achieve the same effect with the money cheat, but it's more fun to do it within the game.
MokeyHokey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: Mod suggestion : Rent instead of buy
« Reply #1 on: 2006 January 18, 00:47:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

no cash down to move in a house of any size,

Man, have you checked out Inge's new mortgage shrubs? When you place 'em, it gives money into the account, and takes it away when you sell them.  Place enough of them on a lot before placing a family and you can reduce the cost of the house as much as you want.  IIRC, the shrubs even accrue interest charges.
http://www.simlogical.com/

I swear, it's the absolute BEST thing I've downloaded in a long time. No more cheating to afford a stove! They can just "borrow" the money and pay it back. Inge is my new hero. *ducks for cover*
JadeEliott
Garrulous Gimp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 2006 January 18, 02:34:01 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Inge is my hero too and I am not even sleeping with her. I swear.

Those shrubs are an awesome idea.

~The Isle of Thyme~
http://www.isleofthyme.net

The Isle of Thyme Succinctly Summed Up by ZiggyDoodle:
Exquisite.  Simply exquisite (but not at all simple!).
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006 January 18, 03:04:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you implying that MokeyHokey is?  Lips sealed

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006 January 18, 03:07:16 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Man, have you checked out Inge's new mortgage shrubs? When you place 'em, it gives money into the account, and takes it away when you sell them.  Place enough of them on a lot before placing a family and you can reduce the cost of the house as much as you want.  IIRC, the shrubs even accrue interest charges.

I swear, it's the absolute BEST thing I've downloaded in a long time. No more cheating to afford a stove! They can just "borrow" the money and pay it back. Inge is my new hero. *ducks for cover*
Heh. If Inge were an NPC, Inge would definitely be a gardener. All them shrubs. Can you pee on them?

Although I, personally, won't use it, since I don't believe in borrowing money like that. I prefer to have poor sims suffer in abject misery and poverty instead. It amuses me and is more challenging.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Gwill
Terrible Twerp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006 January 18, 03:11:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I wonder what kind of NPC I'd be....
Probably a repairman, and get electrocuted regularily.

Dibs on Darth Telligent!
INTJ bordering on P
Want to know where babies come from?
skandelouslala
Lipless Loser

Don't look now but they're going to kill you.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006 January 18, 04:31:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

no cash down to move in a house of any size,

Ooo very intriguing..me thinks this one is worth checking out.

I too like to see my sims suffer and have to work their way up the hard way, but sometimes I have certain little stories going on where my sims need something bigger and better and I hate truly cheating to get it.
terrakosmos
Asinine Airhead

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006 January 18, 05:11:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I prefer to have poor sims suffer in abject misery and poverty instead. It amuses me and is more challenging.

I agree.
Inge
Round Mound of Gray Fatness
Senator

Senator Emeritus. Oh hold on, I am still a senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 2006 January 18, 07:32:32 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Although I, personally, won't use it, since I don't believe in borrowing money like that. I prefer to have poor sims suffer in abject misery and poverty instead. It amuses me and is more challenging.

Believe me, at $10 interest/rent per shrub per day, your Sims can quickly run short if they don't manage their budget well!

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006 January 18, 07:37:52 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

So what's supposed to happen if they run out, or if the shrub catches fire?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 2006 January 18, 07:46:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

They're supposed to be fireproof.  But they're also supposed to be billproof but they seem to be being billed anyway so I might need to fix something...

\"They\'re here, on the forum. A question riddled, spoiler giving, speculative cancer of sim evil\" -- redearth, Snooty Sims, 2009
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006 January 18, 08:26:47 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

In the sense that their value is negative and they detract from the value of the lot, potentially leading to the lot having negative value and resulting in the payment of negative bills?

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 2006 January 18, 08:30:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Yes, but I had thought that setting their Can't be billed flag would exclude them from the calculation.  Otherwise what's it for?

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006 January 18, 08:41:09 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Beats me. Maybe it's not used for anything. I notice Maxis apparently quietly borrowed the "Cannot Be Stolen" flag for the "can't be rotated" flag.

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 2006 January 18, 08:49:17 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I was looking at the trash can OBJD and I notice it has a '1' in field 0x37 which is labelled "unused"

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006 January 18, 08:57:30 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Does that produce the desired effect, thus contradicting the fact that it is unused?

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 2006 January 18, 09:13:14 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

It's used - I looked in the code for calculating bills, and it does skip an object with that flag set.   However, other things like unpaid restaurant bills are also added apparently, and there are discounts marked "unused"

Anyway it leaves me with the possibility that either my flag is getting unset somewhere, or something else is reducing the bills.  Interestingly, the amount shown when hovering over the bill is different from the amount shown on the menu.

I'm going to try on another lot.

aussieone
Stupid Schlemiel

I ain't 'fraid of no Inteenimater!! ABCD/EFGH

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006 January 18, 09:15:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Believe me, at $10 interest/rent per shrub per day, your Sims can quickly run short if they don't manage their budget well!

However....I must say....

Thanks Inge, this is great!  Wink

Inge: credit to Kewian for educating me as to where my clitoris is and what it does
Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: 2006 January 18, 10:27:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy   Well the billing seems normal on another lot I just tested over several days, in spite of having 10K worth of mortgage shrubs.   There must be something odd going on with the lot I was playing.

MokeyHokey
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006 January 18, 16:27:38 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Are you implying that MokeyHokey is?

Wow. Um. I think I'll leave that alone. Really.

Did I mention that I LOVE these shrubs?  Wink

Inge
Senator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 2006 January 18, 17:31:53 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Do you think the $10 per day per shrub is about right?  Should it be higher or lower?  I think that is 1%

Ancient Sim
Dead Member

Back from the dead ...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 2006 January 18, 18:18:40 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I downloaded the shrubs the other day, but what I would like is an alternative one with a higher value.  $1000K isn't really enough if I want my Sims to improve their lot (pun intended) to a decent degree.  I'd much rather have 3 shrubs than 30 if I wanted them to borrow 30K, for instance.  I tend to use smaller lots and all those shrubs would just take up too much space. 

Some favourite Sim thingies:  Film:  Lord of the Sims; Song: Losing My Sim by SIM; Book: Interview With the Sim by Sim Rice; Smell: Fried Simions; Colour: Simple.
simmiecal
Dead Member

No kittens within five miles of my house! :)

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006 January 18, 18:34:57 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I downloaded the shrubs the other day, but what I would like is an alternative one with a higher value.  $1000K isn't really enough if I want my Sims to improve their lot (pun intended) to a decent degree.  I'd much rather have 3 shrubs than 30 if I wanted them to borrow 30K, for instance.  I tend to use smaller lots and all those shrubs would just take up too much space. 

To follow on that suggestion, and I don't know how easy or difficult it would be to do this, but could you have two shrubs?  This one at 1,000 and a second one at 10,000. That way, with a combination of the two shrubs, you could really customize the amount of the loan - along with decorating the yard.  Grin Also, for larger loans, you might be able to pay back a couple of thousand simoleons but not the full 10k. This way you could reduce the interest charge by paying off part of the principal.

As far as the 1% charge..I wouldn't mind seeing 2 or 3%. I'd like the sims to be able to take a loan, but I'd like there to be a little bit of a disincentive to it. It would make it possible for a growing sim family to move to a larger lot if they needed to, but there would also be a financial "incentive" for sticking it out in the older home.
angelyne
Obtuse Oaf

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006 January 18, 23:31:43 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

How possible would it be to actually set the amount and % for any given shrub?
virgali
Malodorous Moron

Do you see a midget Hitler?!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006 January 19, 02:24:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

This would be indeed a nice work around.

What I REALLY would like is the possibility for a sims to won more than one lot. For a story I'm making, a sim lives in the family mansion but also has an apprtment down town. I wonder if it's possible to have a sim own two lots so I wouldn't have to move him in and out everytime I want hime to change lots.

Also I was thinking he could be billed for the appartment automaticaly every few simdays at a certain time. I'm not sure if this is possible, maybe with OFB? Since sim can got to their businesses and still be playble?

Do you need someone to organize your sock drawer?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: