More Awesome Than You!
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
2024 May 14, 07:09:49

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
540274 Posts in 18066 Topics by 6514 Members
Latest Member: Llama
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  More Awesome Than You!
|-+  TS2: Burnination
| |-+  The Podium
| | |-+  Horrible camera angle while on downtown lots
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 THANKS THIS IS GREAT Print
Author Topic: Horrible camera angle while on downtown lots  (Read 12460 times)
nothingbutsims
Horrible camera angle while on downtown lots
« on: 2005 September 20, 22:28:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Everytime I take my Sims to a downtown lot, I have this horrible camera angle - I am looking down at the action.  This sucks!  Anyone know why and how I can change it to the normal angle?
DuckSpeak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
Re: Horrible camera angle while on downtown lots
« Reply #1 on: 2005 September 20, 22:35:15 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perchance you pressed the top view mode button which is on the bottom interface bar to the left? Press it again and it will revert.

Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

:P

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005 September 20, 22:42:51 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You talking about when you tab to use the camera? I have this problem, whenever I tab all you can see is the sky image. It's only on some of the downtown lots but it is bloody annoying.

A proud thread pirate.
MistMeUK
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005 September 20, 22:47:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Perchance you pressed the top view mode button which is on the bottom interface bar to the left? Press it again and it will revert.

That is only in the buy and build mode, not in actual play

I may have a similar problem is it when you are zoomed out your camera is looking horizontally but when you zoom in it slowely moves to a more vertical downward view (oposite to the standard).

I have that issue on some of my lots, not just community ones either, sometime it does it and other time it is OK,  Not sure how to fiz it but this may give others a better idea of what happening.
nothingbutsims
« Reply #4 on: 2005 September 20, 22:48:06 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I don't see anything that resembles a top view mode button.  Just walls up and down and my zooms and such.  Now, when my Sims returns home from downtown, the camera angle will be normal.  It's only when I am in a downtown lot.
nothingbutsims
« Reply #5 on: 2005 September 20, 22:52:44 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You talking about when you tab to use the camera? I have this problem, whenever I tab all you can see is the sky image. It's only on some of the downtown lots but it is bloody annoying.

The tab key doesn't seem to work for me when I am in a downtown lot.  Undecided

Edited:  I wonder, is there some kind of cheat you can type in to change the camera angle?
DuckSpeak
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005 September 20, 22:54:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

That is only in the buy and build mode, not in actual play

I may have a similar problem is it when you are zoomed out your camera is looking horizontally but when you zoom in it slowely moves to a more vertical downward view (oposite to the standard).

I have that issue on some of my lots, not just community ones either, sometime it does it and other time it is OK,  Not sure how to fiz it but this may give others a better idea of what happening.

My bad - I haven't even used the thing before.  Lips sealed
MaxisManiac
Dimwitted Dunce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005 September 20, 22:55:55 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can adjust the camera angle by holding down CTRL and the left mouse button, and then moving your mouse. If you have a wheel on your mouse, and can hold that down and move it that way as well.
nothingbutsims
« Reply #8 on: 2005 September 20, 23:05:19 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You can adjust the camera angle by holding down CTRL and the left mouse button, and then moving your mouse. If you have a wheel on your mouse, and can hold that down and move it that way as well.

That doesn't seem to do the trick.  It only zooms the camera in and out and doesn't change the angle.  Thanks though for your input.  Smiley
Darkstormyeve
Feckless Fool

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005 September 21, 00:40:21 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Thats what I have been doing and it works a treat. It adjusts the camera on the vertical plane. Whenever I enter a downtown lot its like I looking from above, not level with them. Ctrl key and holding down the wheel on my mouse, whilst moving the whole mouse up or down fixes this.

J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005 September 21, 00:42:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meh, but I *LIKE* the Death From Above camera. In fact, I modified usercameras to make that effect default, so the camera stays at a high overhead angle and only flattens out when I bring it in real close, like a dive bomber.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
nothingbutsims
« Reply #11 on: 2005 September 21, 01:14:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Meh, but I *LIKE* the Death From Above camera. In fact, I modified usercameras to make that effect default, so the camera stays at a high overhead angle and only flattens out when I bring it in real close, like a dive bomber.

Okay smarty pants, so you know how to modify the angle.  What do I need to do to get it back to normal?  I hate looking from above.
wishy-washy
Blathering Buffoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005 September 21, 18:17:05 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Did you go into build mode in your downtown lot and leave the camera angle from above when you left the lot? If you save it like that sometimes when you go to that lot in live mode the camera view is still the same, but there's no way to change it since you can't access build mode in live mode. I don't know if it's actually true, but I heard that's what used to happen to people with community lots. I don't know if it would happen in dowtown lots. It's never happened to me so I don't know if this will work, but maybe you could try going into build mode at the downtown lot and make sure that the camera angle is not from above. Then go back to the lot with a sim and see if it worked.

Be your own fish.
nothingbutsims
« Reply #13 on: 2005 September 21, 18:57:54 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Smiley I will give that a try, because I did build a lot of my own and was probably in the overhead view with I saved it.
nothingbutsims
« Reply #14 on: 2005 September 21, 19:59:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Embarrassed Well, that didn't work either and I was hoping that was the cause.  I may have to do the unthinkable and place a call to EA Games tech support to find out what the hell is going on because it annoys me to no end to have to play from the top view.  I find it very difficult and I know it's not right.
Myth
Pinheaded Pissant

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005 September 21, 20:04:28 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

You said that you used your mouse to zoom in and out.  That is normal for that application which means that you can do this next trick.  Click the wheel and while holding it down a crosshair will appear on the screen.  Still holding it down, move the mouse in the direction you want the screen to go.  (It will change as you do it so you can see the effect as you change the setting.)

Rohina: Motion to Expel Myth from the Senate. Just testing an hypothesis. Nothing to do with the fact that she smells like ass.
Flowerchile: Have you be'd norty again Mythie?
Mythchick: No, I just followed Rohina around a little and now smell like ass.
nothingbutsims
« Reply #16 on: 2005 September 21, 20:21:11 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy YES! YES! YES!  Thank you so much!  That fixed my problems.  You don't know how happy this makes me.  I was going nuts, really I was, playing with that awful angle.  I don't know how JM can play like that looking from above.

Thank you again and thank you to everyone else who offered their advice.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005 September 22, 01:28:12 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Cheesy YES! YES! YES!  Thank you so much!  That fixed my problems.  You don't know how happy this makes me.  I was going nuts, really I was, playing with that awful angle.  I don't know how JM can play like that looking from above.
It's simple, really. Looking from the side causes the view to be blocked by tall objects. The "straight from above" view angle guarantees that you can see everything you need to see. Sure, maybe you'll mostly just see the top of everyone's head, but that's all you really need when giving commands.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005 September 22, 05:30:50 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I've been meaning to bring up this topic for a while. I tend to play zoomed out so I can see most of a lot, as JM says, it's way easier to give commands. That's why I don't worry too much about sim makeup, clothing etc, I rarely see sims that close up.

Lately I've been making a conscious effort to zoom in, to catch expressions and thought bubbles. I never paid them much attention until I read about so many other people commenting on them.

So... what's your angle folks, how close do you get to your sims? I'm interested to know how other people play the game.

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005 September 22, 08:19:10 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Actually, I've been meaning to bring up this topic for a while. I tend to play zoomed out so I can see most of a lot, as JM says, it's way easier to give commands. That's why I don't worry too much about sim makeup, clothing etc, I rarely see sims that close up.

Lately I've been making a conscious effort to zoom in, to catch expressions and thought bubbles. I never paid them much attention until I read about so many other people commenting on them.

So... what's your angle folks, how close do you get to your sims? I'm interested to know how other people play the game.

I usually keep a medium zoomed out view, it's much easier to give commands that way and believe me, when you play with free will off you have to issue LOTS of them! I only zoom in if I want to get a closer look at something that piqued my interest. Also, having played (read: been addicted to) games like the Bladur's Gate series I'm kinda used to that angle, so that's usually the angle I use. Which means that the houses and community lots I build (did I mention I only play custom neighborhoods? Did I also mention I'm a control freak?) are layed out in a way that suits that particular angle. I only use top down view when I'm placing roof lights to check the symmetry.

Let the Beast inside you free!
dizzy
Souped!

unplugged

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2005 September 22, 08:27:23 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I have a 15 to 20 degree angle shot on my 4 button. I then increase the angle for 5 through 7. The 4 button is nearly always the diagonal closest to the kitchen that faces the road, the 5 button faces the road the other way, 6 and 7 are the away from road diagonals.

Baroness
witch
Breakfast of Champions!
Senator

Shunning the accursed daystar.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005 September 22, 09:20:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dr Beast, other games, yes I played Neverwinter Nights amongst others, the angles do become kind of default. I hadn't thought of that. My houses are often configured for a particular direction to view too.

dizzy-two, I'd forgotten about the camera presets till you mentioned them again. I used them quite a bit at first when I built ginormous lots. *makes mental note* Smiley

My fists are named Feminine and Wiles.
DrBeast
Pinheaded Pissant

Still they're marching on...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005 September 22, 11:54:08 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

Dr Beast, other games, yes I played Neverwinter Nights amongst others, the angles do become kind of default. I hadn't thought of that. My houses are often configured for a particular direction to view too.

dizzy-two, I'd forgotten about the camera presets till you mentioned them again. I used them quite a bit at first when I built ginormous lots. *makes mental note* Smiley

Uh...NWN is a crappy game that unfortunately succeeded the Baldur's Gate & Icewind Dale masterpieces! Excuse me, but what self-respecting RPG does NOT allow you to form a party?! And don't even mention the uncontrollable henchman. Oh, he's controllable in the expansions? I know that, I have both. So why the hell didn't they make him controllable in the core game as well, even with the expansions installed?!
Anyways (ranting over), how do you make camera angles selectable?

Let the Beast inside you free!
miramis
Juvenile Jackass

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005 September 22, 16:07:07 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I haven't read past this post yet but have to comment on this post by Trubble.

I have this too!  Filled in the Nightlife bug report for it aswell.

To reproduce this (bug?glitch?) go to FM downtown with a sim, focus the normal camera on the centre Karaoke machine upstairs then zoom in, hit tab and you'll see the sky.  When viewing the sky move the camera upwards and you'll see the lot upside down.  This also happens in the downtown neighbourhood view sometimes but I can only persistantly reproduce it at FM by the karaoke.

Edit:
As to preferred camera angles..
I like being able to see my sims facial expressions and tend to build/furnish my lots for viewing from a certain position (ie facing front/back/side of the lot).  How anyone can stand being zoomed out is beyond me, you miss so much from up there!
« Last Edit: 2005 September 22, 16:14:27 by miramis » Logged
Trubble
Ferret Impersonator
Terrible Twerp

:P

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005 September 22, 16:23:04 »
THANKS THIS IS GREAT

I think I'm going to go do a bug report for it also - I need to go tour Downtown first just to check.

It's happened to me on the FM lot wherever they are - no matter how much I swivel it I can never see the lot in tabbed view and only the blue sky and random run out of graphics to display kinda thing blue stuff. I will tour later and do my bug report.

I also hit tab whilst on the Pleasantview neighbourhood screen and it crappola'd out on me, went blue and was not responding, computer made a funny noise so I killed it.

Kind of glad to hear I'm not the only one Smiley

A proud thread pirate.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: